What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

Likely is in here somewhere, but we're at 227 pages at this point....

Once you come in contact with the virus, how fast are you yourself contagious?

I hear actual symptoms don't arrive for 4-5 days, is this true?
Latest study: Median incubation period 5 days. 97,5% within 11 days. 99% within 14 days. Danish version of CDC have been saying that you become contagious up to 48 hourd prior symptoms are felt

I'm surprised Mitchell is the only other one.
Ultimately, I think that quite a few of us are going to be naturally immune.  Perhaps a large majority.  But since it can be transmitted so easily, say it infects 10% of those who come into contact with it...the X factor number is how many of us come into contact with it and I’m getting the sense it’s becoming increasingly impossible to not have over the last 4-6 weeks.

The next stage of this will be the increasingly velocity by which people we know directly/indirectly/celebs declare they test positive.

If everybody just purchased and used their regular amount things would be fine. 
While odds are small ... there is legitimate concern that people might not be able to go to the grocery on demand in the near future. At least in some locales. Stores might start closing every other day, or have limited hours. No link, just riffing on things done elsewhere.

Just hit Ralph's and Trader Joe's. What a ####show. No pasta, little canned goods. Of course no water, no tp or paper towels. Crazy lines. So surreal in those places. Regretting only getting one bottle of Woodford's. Guy at TJ's saying line of about 150 at the door before they opened. What is it going to be like next week? In two weeks?

Updated to include today's numbers

Total NYC confirmed coronavirus cases: 

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
From Gov Cuomo twitter feed., updated daily.
Gonna be hard to stop it in NYC. 

heard a stat last night that 38% of nurses have children in schools.  With no schools, what do they all do, and what strain will that have on the healthcare side of things?
This is why businesses need to give their employees working non-essential jobs some slack.  So when a nurse's spouse is a software engineer that person can stay home with the kids while the nurse helps save lives.

Continuing the issue above regarding the economic calamity that Corona may well bring...

Just google Coronavirus and Bankruptcy.  From large companies that lay off or fire to companies that full on go bankrupt... how many lives affected? 

For a small business owner barely making it, or just starting up, how many will be crushed by these events... as I alluded to above, what about the hospitality industry, with restaurants in some areas empty, closing for lunch... those that rely on tourism at a mere fraction of what they usually bring in.

Again, this is personal for me with most of my friends in hospitality.  These are folks who either live paycheck to paycheck or with minimal savings, rarely have insurance - or those of my friends who own or manage employees in that bucket.

Part of the reason I want to continue going out to eat and drink and patronize all kinds of business is that I feel an obligation to not over react and panic, while still maintaining a level headed caution.  

For many of our neighbors and fellow Americans - perhaps millions and millions in a worst case scenario - there is far greater risk of bankruptcy than death from the virus.  

Without at all belittling the tragedy in terms of loss of life, this epidemic will legit destroy goodness knows how many lives as our nation seems terribly unprepared for both the acute phase of this illness, and the potential social and economic aftermath.

We have set the foundation with too large a portion of the population subsisting off wages that are too low, monthly built-in costs (housing and transportation especially) that are way too high, lack of access to insurance / decent healthcare and a consumable society with high debt and even within that framework, too much spending on material items. 

With that as foundation (or lack thereof):

Epidemic + inaccessible or nonexistent healthcare for millions + an economy where millions and millions have little to no ability to withstand loss of income for an extended period of time, AND high debts and cost of survival living? 

I hope this indeed is an over reaction, but I see the economic loss as perhaps the most painful for millions in our nation. 

Either way, let’s do what we can to support one another through this, support our local businesses and workers - tip a few extra bucks (to the delivery guy if you wish to not go out, which is totally understandable... but that guy or gal IS out there and enabling you to not do the same). Be a little extra forgiving.  Let’s TRY to get through this together, without each of our respective communities. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I nominate Duke vs. Lehigh and Duke vs. Mercer on loop.
Maybe all the times UMCP lost in embarrassing fashion instead, which would provide many more hours.  The 2001 Gone in 54 Seconds game and the same-year Final Four choke job against Duke are really fun to watch and could provide some excellent entertainment.  Just thinking out loud.  

Time to make this about me. 

I fly from Las Vegas to Portland to visit my 11 year old daughter for Two days once a month. She is autistic with some underlying digestive issues. I am seriously thinking about cancelling my trip for March, which would be next week. I would have to go through Las Vegas Airport, and Portland Airport, rent a car, stay in a hotel, all on Friday, then see her Saturday. It guts me to cancel but even if there is a 1% chance of giving it to her I don't want to take that risk.

If everybody just purchased and used their regular amount things would be fine. 
You aren't wrong but you do understand that lots of people don't keep much of a supply of goods in their homes, right?  Also, some of those folks do that because they live paycheck to paycheck - if they are lucky enough to have enough money to get some supplies it's not surprising they will.  For those of us who are fortunate enough to have plenty of money we can get some extra supplies to ensure we don't have to go out and expose ourselves.  I do think it's a little much to have months worth.

Been putting off my usual every-couple-of-weeks Costco run for a few days now.  Decided to bite the bullet and just go this morning, needing milk, eggs, half and half, meat, etc. plus some snacks and stuff for my three kids.  Figured they may or may not have TP or disinfectant wipes, but it would be a bonus if they did.  

I arrived to the parking lot at 9:40 (they open at 10:00, but I expected there would be a crowd waiting).  Parking lot was almost full.  As I approached the entrance, I saw that they had blocked entry with a line of carts standing on end.  People were lined up, waiting to enter, around the corner.  I walked towards the end of the line, and as I turned the corner (around towards where the gas and tire departments are), I saw that the line continued for what was probably several city blocks.  The length of the parking lot, then back, then down again.... zig zagging back and forth, the full length of the parking lot each time.  Hundreds of people.

I decided to just wait and see what would happen when they opened.  Stood by the front entrance (there were a few others with apparently the same plan of action).  The store opened its doors at 9:45... 15 minutes earlier than normal.  I watched and waited for 15 minutes while people streamed in, showing their membership cards.  At 10:00, the line hadn't gotten any shorter.  As fast as they were entering the store, people from the parking lot were joining the line.  At that point, I decided I'll just go back later, hoping it's not as crazy.  They'll be out of TP, bottled water, and probably a few other items, but hopefully not the majority of the things on my list.  Or maybe they will be?  

I have seen some pretty crazy Costco experiences.  This was like nothing I've ever experienced.  Call it Black Friday times 10.  

Of the 674 cases in Denmark right now 25%+ brought it back from skiing (incidentally Italy was not the biggest culprit here but Austria (Tyrol), with more than 20% of all cases so far from there - pretty sure Austria has a huge undiscovered issue). 85% of all cases brought home from abroad, 15% person to person transfer in Denmark (that ratio bound to change).

Been putting off my usual every-couple-of-weeks Costco run for a few days now.  Decided to bite the bullet and just go this morning, needing milk, eggs, half and half, meat, etc. plus some snacks and stuff for my three kids.  Figured they may or may not have TP or disinfectant wipes, but it would be a bonus if they did.  

I arrived to the parking lot at 9:40 (they open at 10:00, but I expected there would be a crowd waiting).  Parking lot was almost full.  As I approached the entrance, I saw that they had blocked entry with a line of carts standing on end.  People were lined up, waiting to enter, around the corner.  I walked towards the end of the line, and as I turned the corner (around towards where the gas and tire departments are), I saw that the line continued for what was probably several city blocks.  The length of the parking lot, then back, then down again.  Hundreds of people.

I decided to just wait and see what would happen when they opened.  Stood by the front entrance (there were a few others with apparently the same plan of action).  The store opened its doors at 9:45... 1
Geez. I feel like we have enough for a few weeks or more but I can’t believe how crazy it is. I’m going to run to Costco tonight since our kids are off again tomorrow due to Ecoli possibly in water supply so I have no practices to go to, which is nice. 

My wife is the CFO for her company. They've been struggling for the past few years and she estimated they were only a year or so out of folding if the owner couldn't sell it. She's convinced this is the final nail and they won't survive this.
This is the biggest risk of all.  Capitalism is a house of cards and we can't take a sustained downturn like this.  Everything depends on the service sector here.  

So school is closed for two weeks. Buncha kids on the playground and asking my kids out to play. Thought they closed schools to keep everyone away from each other. Are you letting your kids on the playground ?

Geez. I feel like we have enough for a few weeks or more but I can’t believe how crazy it is. I’m going to run to Costco tonight since our kids are off again tomorrow due to Ecoli possibly in water supply so I have no practices to go to, which is nice. 
Sorry... I accidentally hit submit midway through that post.  What was crazy about watching the Costco fiasco was the number of people coming out with just an item or two.  I saw several people come out with just a mega-pack of toilet paper, and several others with just TP and bottled water.  All while the line to get in was still hundreds long.  Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to stand in line for 45 minutes to get in, I'm surely grabbing a few more things than just TP and H2O.  Then, again, I stood there for probably 20-25 minutes just watching in disbelief, and didn't leave with a single item, so maybe I'm the dummy.  

Sorry... I accidentally hit submit midway through that post.  What was crazy about watching the Costco fiasco was the number of people coming out with just an item or two.  I saw several people come out with just a mega-pack of toilet paper, and several others with just TP and bottled water.  All while the line to get in was still hundreds long.  Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to stand in line for 45 minutes to get in, I'm surely grabbing a few more things than just TP and H2O.  Then, again, I stood there for probably 20-25 minutes just watching in disbelief, and didn't leave with a single item, so maybe I'm the dummy.  
:lmao:  I saw that last week on the news. A huge line and it looked like all that one person had was a pineapple and something else in a cart. 

Of the 674 cases in Denmark right now 25%+ brought it back from skiing (incidentally Italy was not the biggest culprit here but Austria (Tyrol), with more than 20% of all cases so far from there - pretty sure Austria has a huge undiscovered issue). 85% of all cases brought home from abroad, 15% person to person transfer in Denmark (that ratio bound to change).
Where did you find this info?

I know someone who is skiing in Tyrol right now and told me that most people over there are being very cavalier about it and were mocking the US for banning travel from Europe.

Just got notice that a parent in my daughters class was diagnosed.  The parent's kids have not been in school since Tuesday.  Pulling kids from school.  
So one of our good friends had this family over this weekend.  The Dad was apparently coughing heavily while over.  So our friends called to see if they could get testing done given even the close contact and were told flat out that it wasn't possible.  We are so ####ed...

Where did you find this info?

I know someone who is skiing in Tyrol right now and told me that most people over there are being very cavalier about it and were mocking the US for banning travel from Europe.
Link in Danish (was released by the Danish version of CDC). Apparently no one knew until the Icelandic authorities started testing wider than before and picked up Tyrol in their surge of cases

ETA: Looks like they are starting to react

Are there any articles on a realistic prediction of how this will play out? Obviously, it's too early to be certain but would like to read something, from a doctor preferably, that gives a best case timeline. 

I arrived to the parking lot at 9:40 (they open at 10:00, but I expected there would be a crowd waiting).  Parking lot was almost full.  As I approached the entrance, I saw that they had blocked entry with a line of carts standing on end.  People were lined up, waiting to enter, around the corner.  I walked towards the end of the line, and as I turned the corner (around towards where the gas and tire departments are), I saw that the line continued for what was probably several city blocks.  The length of the parking lot, then back, then down again.... zig zagging back and forth, the full length of the parking lot each time.  Hundreds of people.

I decided to just wait and see what would happen when they opened.  Stood by the front entrance (there were a few others with apparently the same plan of action).  The store opened its doors at 9:45... 15 minutes earlier than normal.  I watched and waited for 15 minutes while people streamed in, showing their membership cards.  At 10:00, the line hadn't gotten any shorter.  As fast as they were entering the store, people from the parking lot were joining the line.  At that point, I decided I'll just go back later, hoping it's not as crazy.  They'll be out of TP, bottled water, and probably a few other items, but hopefully not the majority of the things on my list.  Or maybe they will be?  

I have seen some pretty crazy Costco experiences.  This was like nothing I've ever experienced.  Call it Black Friday times 10.  
You in the twin cities? If so, whereabouts was this? Just curious.

So are they closing down bars and nightclubs and places that have the ability to host 100+?

Wowzers.
Not sure the specifics.  Maybe it's just events?  A number of small venue concerts I was interested in have been postponed.

Not sure the specifics.  Maybe it's just events?  A number of small venue concerts I was interested in have been postponed.

"DeWine said there is now a ban on mass gatherings of 100 or more people. It includes auditoriums, stadiums, arenas, large conference rooms, meeting halls, cafeterias, parades, fairs and festivals.

This excludes airports, hospitals, shopping malls, typical office environments, restaurants and grocery stores. The order does not apply to religious gatherings and gathering for exercising First Amendment protected speech. There is no time frame on when the ban will end, DeWine said."

Users who are viewing this thread