Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

This is the thing I’m not understanding about this - how long will they keep things closed.  I’m guessing the school system is guessing at this point and you guys will be closed longer than that.  Won’t they have to keep things closed until it’s seems like it’s slowed way down and not ramping up? 

Just anecdotally - I think schools are having this conversation around spring breaks which buys them an extra week - maybe in the hopes this is a 2-3 week peak. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, culdeus said:

Buddy is in Hawaii. He busted his ankle bad riding a bike or something.  Went to doc and a box and a 70yo lady comes in the door of the waiting room under respiratory distress and passes out.   

He fled asap.  Place called him later to say she's from Seattle and arrived two days ago and presumed positive.  

Waiting to see this hit the news

Not the Hawaii news...yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jefferson the Caregiver said:

Unless the NCAA's hand is completely forced, which is possible, I don't think they will cancel it.  There is still too much money at stake.  

Taking the fans out of the arena was a pretty big step.  I'll still be surprised if the tourney is cancelled outright.

What will happen is 1-2 players will be sick very soon, and confirmed to be Covid. At that point those 1-2 will have likely infected 100+ players, and you cannot proceed at that point. 
 

if it’s not canceled ahead of tourney it will be canceled mid tourney 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PGA Tour says Players is on as normal.  Fans may request a refund.

@GolfDigest: "The PGA Tour is aware of rapidly changing developments regarding COVID-19. With the information currently available, the Players Championship will continue as scheduled."
http://ow.ly/f64L50yJDZw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, TripItUp said:

The left will do their best to tear this speech/address/response apart, but the comprehensive nature of the address was spot on.

 

 

You know it’s a good speech when the WH has to immediately come out and correct 4 different things the speaker got wrong and there’s already some denials from insurance companies about waiving copay for treatment as he said. Wonderful speech. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for quarantine info.  For those returning from Europe by Midnight Friday, s it honor code self quarantine or will it be gov’t enforced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Still can't find anything definitive saying I'm in the pre-existing condition realm (lungs) or not because of this. I don't have asthma (no shortness of breath or wheezing)- I have an asthmatic reactive cough.

Cough-variant asthma is still asthma. It tends to milder, with less airway inflammation and overall better prognosis than classic asthma. I doubt you'll find anything about CVA and COVID-19 risk, though I'd assume you have a higher risk than a non-asthmatic individual.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oracle said:

Looking for quarantine info.  For those returning from Europe by Midnight Friday, s it honor code self quarantine or will it be gov’t enforced?

For the literal plane loads of people that have been arriving from Italy the last 2 weeks it has been. The testing method of choice has been “do you feel ill? No? Ok, enjoy America :thumbup:

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How safe would it be to order food from door dash or Uber eats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

For the literal plane loads of people that have been arriving from Italy the last 2 weeks it has been. The testing method of choice has been “do you feel ill? No? Ok, enjoy America :thumbup:

👍  Missed the announcement last night and woke to a message that my daughter will be on a charter flight out of Switzerland, but cannot find any info regarding quarantine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small anecdote from Denmark

Yday I spent the afternoon/early evening with my oldest daughter. We had lunch in Copenhagen, then sat in the sun, had a few beers, went toa different bar had a few more. Anyhoo, very enjoyable day. I take the train home around 8 pm and am feeling a bit peckish as I've not eaten anything since 2 pm. I decide to swing by the local supermarket on the way home. First thing I notice (ny now it's about 9pm and they close at 10) is that the parking lot is almost full, there are three or four people ahead of me heading into the store so there is the usual fumbling with baskets etc. I find it odd, given the hour, but resolve not to go shopping at nine on weekdays anymore. In line for the cashier the people in front of me have their carts and baskets pretty full, so there's  wait, but whatev's, I got my milk, my naan bread, some snackies, I'm good. A few minutes lates as I'm warming the naan bread I sit by the computer and fire up the news, to see that the Prime Minister at 8.30 pm essentially decreed the entire country to shut down this morning. All schools, universities, day care centres are to close for two weeks. Any gathering of 100+ people forbidden. They recommend that bars and restaurants close. All non essential public employees are sent home for two weeks etc.

So essentially I had the opportunity to be at the forefront of hoarding but totally blew it

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Whoa! Was that in response to shader...I can't find the OP. Am I the "other idiot"? 

Not me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

How safe would it be to order food from door dash or Uber eats?

As long as you douse it with pure alcohol and set fire to it before eating the charred remains, perfectly safe

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I know my wife and kids will think I am crazy - fell asleep early, but up now.  Going to make an early morning grocery run to pump up our stock just a little more and add variety.  0 chance I am risking dealing with this on my day off Saturday when 1000 other people might be doing it.  

Saturday is typically nuts at Walmart/Sam’s around here. They are going to need police intervention now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Doug B said:

Unreported cases? You found out via word of mouth?

Yes. Someone who works for the company, albeit a different local office 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Saturday is typically nuts at Walmart/Sam’s around here. They are going to need police intervention now

For sure, which is mostly why I did it.  I am pissed on a typical Saturday grocery run - didn't want to risk having to wrestle an old lady for the last pack of toilet paper on top of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just at walmart in northeast ohio.  Not many people there ( its 6am after all), but could not find one single roll of toilet paper.  Not one.

I bought extra paper towels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I was just at walmart in northeast ohio.  Not many people there ( its 6am after all), but could not find one single roll of toilet paper.  Not one.

I bought extra paper towels

Don't flush the paper towels. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

How safe would it be to order food from door dash or Uber eats?

Millennial Russian roulette or the next Tik Tok challenge, you choose.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I was just at walmart in northeast ohio.  Not many people there ( its 6am after all), but could not find one single roll of toilet paper.  Not one.

I bought extra paper towels

Oh that’s rough :D

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here is what is bothering me this morning, and why I think that despite some of the things we implemented last night we are still sorely lacking top down leadership.  Seems like we are ramping up, and some areas and things I guess are taking it seriously (colleges, sports events, etc.. )  BUT I feel like we are really lacking some sort of guidance and honesty past that.  I feel like we learned zip as other countries went through this over the last month.    

What I mean is stuff like: 

Colleges are closing - is that mostly because of the dorms, the classes, because there are a collection of people who might have travelled around?  What.   If it's the classes, why are we still allowing other schools to continue?  Why are we allowing other collections of people over a couple hundred get together?     If it's just a CYA scenario, then that probably should be told too.  

I guess I am just frustrated that even after all this, I still feel like I have to act like the crazy doomsday guy in the next couple days - my kid is still in school, he still has a big basketball tournament this weekend that I haven't heard a peep about how to address that, I praised our store for starting some disinfecting protocols but we are allowing a big group of 150 into the restaurant today from who knows where.    I guess actors and NBA stars can get tests done but my wife couldn't last week and people's family in here can't seem to.   

Sorry about my sleep deprived ranting...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I was just at walmart in northeast ohio.  Not many people there ( its 6am after all), but could not find one single roll of toilet paper.  Not one.

I bought extra paper towels

It's interesting the things and stores that are being hit.   I just went to Woodman's (bigger  grocery store in case people don't have them) and they still had TP, Paper Towel, Water.  You could definitely tell it was getting gutted and you are going to have trouble finding decent TP and water though.   They did have a sign on the front entryway that they were very low on or out of items like rice, wipes, hand sanitizer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I was just at walmart in northeast ohio.  Not many people there ( its 6am after all), but could not find one single roll of toilet paper.  Not one.

I bought extra paper towels

Also, did you check the restrooms?  Start swiping it from there... 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget the toilet paper and stock up on ibuprofen. I can find other ways to clean my ###.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

So here is what is bothering me this morning, and why I think that despite some of the things we implemented last night we are still sorely lacking top down leadership.  Seems like we are ramping up, and some areas and things I guess are taking it seriously (colleges, sports events, etc.. )  BUT I feel like we are really lacking some sort of guidance and honesty past that.  I feel like we learned zip as other countries went through this over the last month.    

What I mean is stuff like: 

Colleges are closing - is that mostly because of the dorms, the classes, because there are a collection of people who might have travelled around?  What.   If it's the classes, why are we still allowing other schools to continue?  Why are we allowing other collections of people over a couple hundred get together?     If it's just a CYA scenario, then that probably should be told too.  

I guess I am just frustrated that even after all this, I still feel like I have to act like the crazy doomsday guy in the next couple days - my kid is still in school, he still has a big basketball tournament this weekend that I haven't heard a peep about how to address that, I praised our store for starting some disinfecting protocols but we are allowing a big group of 150 into the restaurant today from who knows where.    I guess actors and NBA stars can get tests done but my wife couldn't last week and people's family in here can't seem to.   

Sorry about my sleep deprived ranting...

 

All good points and I agree, it appears top down leadership is being tentative about making the hard call. Travel with Europe is BANNED...but travel with the UK is not. It is going to be reliant on 50 different interpretations of what is necessary at the state level and it needs to happen at almost a lightening quick speed.

Great example is the NBA game that cleared out last night, great call by all involved to end it as quickly as possible. That is the level & quickness of decision making that will need to take place in the coming weeks for the US to have a shot at getting ahead of this. The Fed’s can’t act that quickly because there are 100 people in the room #####ing about how it affects their constituencies. It’s going to come down to states, governors, mayors making the tough calls (see NY) throughout, there will be that uncomfortable minority that will push back the entire way making it that much more difficult. We have to emulate China, that ain’t gonna fly well here in ‘Murcia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Also, did you check the restrooms?  Start swiping it from there... 

Next level device right here :hifive:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, msommer said:

Don't flush the paper towels. 

One at a time after ripping into smaller pieces.  Been down this road before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, steeler6 said:

Forget the toilet paper and stock up on ibuprofen. I can find other ways to clean my ###.

Did that a few days ago.  Ibuprofen, tylenol, mucinex, and some other cold/flu med.

Need to keep yourself alive when there are no hospitals taking patients 

That is not a joke

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bradyfan said:

Here is last night’s update.

China CDC Situation Report on Mar-10
31 Provinces & XPCC 
  Suspected: 285 (+31
  Confirmed: 80778 (+24
  Severe: 4492 (-302
  Dead: 3158 (+22
  Recovered: 61475 (+1578
“Imported” from other countries - Confirmed: 79 (+10
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 120 (Dead: 3, Recovered: 65) 
Macau - Confirmed: 10 (Recovered: 10) 
Taiwan - Confirmed: 47 (Dead: 1, Recovered: 17)

China CDC Situation Report on Mar-11 
31 Provinces & XPCC
  Suspected: 253 (+33)
  Confirmed: 80793 (+15)
  Severe: 4257 (-235)
  Dead: 3169 (+11)
  Recovered: 00000 (+1318)
“Imported” from other countries - Confirmed: 85 (+6)
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 129 (Dead: 3, Recovered: 67)
Macau - Confirmed: 10 (Recovered: 10)
Taiwan - Confirmed: 48 (Dead: 1, Recovered: 17)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I freaked out a bit and came to the store.  Feeling better as food is still on the shelves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Did that a few days ago.  Ibuprofen, tylenol, mucinex, and some other cold/flu med.

Need to keep yourself alive when there are no hospitals taking patients 

That is not a joke

Gatorade/pedialyte, pepto, and Ive thrown in a half case of canned 02 for very low level temporary respiratory / 02 sats support. We get them for snowboarding trips, just stocked up a bit. Absolutely overkill, but was restocking anyway soooo.... 

Edited by [icon]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, shader said:

I freaked out a bit and came to the store.  Feeling better as food is still on the shelves

I don't forsee a situation where that changes outside some occasional short term runs, but that's part of why we have supplies....That and avoiding crowds 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there is not a big fan base on this forum ( @Eephus ), but:

McLaren@McLarenF1

McLaren Racing withdraws from the 2020 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix.

 

McClaren had at least 1 crew member who tested positive.  The race was this weekend, and had been set to go forward.  With McLaren withdrawing - I can't imagine the race will go forward now.

2nd race was set for Vietnam, but with no fans.  That is probably in jeopardy now as well.  3rd race was China, already cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Also, did you check the restrooms?  Start swiping it from there... 

Wtf? Are you in riot mode already? Stealing public TP is not it, man. I know it's gonna happen and nothing I say matters, people are gonna prioritiz their families over the public. But making it harder for people to be sanitary in public is not gonna help a pandemic situation. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

This is the thing I’m not understanding about this - how long will they keep things closed.  I’m guessing the school system is guessing at this point and you guys will be closed longer than that.  Won’t they have to keep things closed until it’s seems like it’s slowed way down and not ramping up? 

Yeah... they don't want to say the school year is cancelled.  They especially don't want to be the first to say it.  But it likely is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in WV and found out yesterday why a small state so close to major metro areas has no cases. As of yesterday afternoon, there were no test kits available at the major hospitals. WV is a state where most people in border counties commute for work to DC, NoVa, MD, PA, OH.

Awesome.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

For the literal plane loads of people that have been arriving from Italy the last 2 weeks it has been. The testing method of choice has been “do you feel ill? No? Ok, enjoy America :thumbup:

The reporter who spent weeks in Milan covering the outbreak and then walked through customs without anyone even talking to her was a tell on where this is headed for me.  If we weren't even screening, let alone testing, people from hot zones two months into the pandemic there was no way it was going to do anything other than explode.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I feel people are overreacting to be perfectly honest..

I'm not here to argue just stating how I feel. so you can save the arguments with all the numbers and all that I've already read all that stuff

ETA:  The news horrible reporting the virus is now "airborne" based on that one controlled study - doesnt help matters

Edited by belljr
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I don't forsee a situation where that changes outside some occasional short term runs, but that's part of why we have supplies....That and avoiding crowds 

Yeah I get that intellectually now.  I guess I freaked out a bit when I woke up :lmao:

Walking  around grocery with coffee and yes they did have toilet paper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daily metro north update: its just me and the conductor. 
 

Jk. But I’m going to say we are running at 20% of norm. As the train rolled up the one other dude waiting at my door looked at me and said “what the hell are we doing?”

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

San Antonio pressing on with the Tejano Music Festival this weekend. Organizer's logic is "Well, we haven't had any public cases yet in SA!" So we're going to bring 100,000 people together and make sure we remedy that. This is how it begins in bigger cities. Stupidity is allowed to run amok. I'll miss you guys (ok, not really).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading this thread from last night, I've put my very first poster on ignore. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wtf? Are you in riot mode already? Stealing public TP is not it, man. I know it's gonna happen and nothing I say matters, people are gonna prioritiz their families over the public. But making it harder for people to be sanitary in public is not gonna help a pandemic situation. 

I. Was. Joking. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, belljr said:

I feel people are overreacting to be perfectly honest..

I'm not here to argue just stating how I feel. so you can save the arguments with all the numbers and all that I've already read all that stuff

ETA:  The news horrible reporting the virus is now "airborne" based on that one controlled study - doesnt help matters

I definitely think there's overreaction. I came to work today, my wife went to work, my son went to school. 

That being said, I have come around on it being a good idea to close large gatherings and sporting events for a few weeks to contain this thing now before it's too late. 

I'll run to the store to pick up a few things and definitely ibuprofen (good idea!) Later but for now not changing my routines. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minneapolis airport still fairly busy this morning, but I’m sure down from normal spring break crowds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, moleculo said:

I fear i don't have enough prepped.  My wife went out today in search of more TP and hand sanitizer, couldn't find any.  I don't know if we need it, or its nervous hoarding.

I do know i don't have nearly enough booze.  I have plenty of beer but i feel bourbon coming on over the next couple of weeks.

Not getting the TP run. Coronavirus doesn't give you diarrhea 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a small bottle of purell just sitting on the kitchen counter at work. Tempting

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.