What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

Have you heard if they plan on finishing the tournament at some point?
Based on the NCAA cancelling all spring sports up to and including the College World Series ... I'd say the chances are practically nil of the basketball tournament ever being played.

It's not like everything's going to pass in a few weeks. For events like college sports, there will be no "all clear!" coming in April or May or anything like that.

Critical Care (ICU?) beds per capita.  US in better shape than some.

Slow the spread.  Treat the very sick.  Reduce your social interaction.  Do your best.  Be patient.

Life doesn't typically present chances to be a hero.  You are now presented with many ways to be one, in little ways, going forward.
I had mentioned a while back that I have a PhD BioChemist friend who was the the CIO of a large hospital chain. He and I were talking again last night. He remains more positive about our collective ability to respond than I do. I brought up my concerns about capacity being overrun and he made this exact point about critical care availability. He mentioned that "just counting beds" is a poor metric. "A bed" comes with different levels of a care. A cot... well, it is "a bed". An ICU bed, which counts the same as the cot,  that has all the bells and whistles comes with a whole lot of more critical care. His point is that while the US may not have as many beds per capita as say SK, we've become ICU bed heavy. 

My company estimated peak impact on our hospitals to be mid-June. No clue how that translates.
I was back of the enveloping this earlier...

People are infections for at least 10 days from exposure, even if they don't become symptomatic.

So once we implement nationwide social distancing we can expect cases to continue growing for at least two weeks.

And severe cases seem to involve 2-3 weeks of hospitalization.

Many places appear not to have reacted very strongly yet (schools, churches, etc still happening).  My guess this AM was that once the testing starts to reveal the true level of infection and deaths grow from 100s to 1000s you'll see the "late adopters" shutting things down.  Given the sharp rise in testing from here forward I estimated that would happen 2-3 weeks from now.

So 2-3 weeks before we have a sufficient nationwide reaction, cases continue to grow for 1-2 weeks after that, and hospitalization continues to grow for 2-3 weeks after that.  That's a total of 5-8 weeks from now.  If you take the mid-point of 6-7 weeks, that lands you in late April/early May.

Not sure how much better things have to get from there before people are willing to start normal life again, but I'd think there's a lag of at least a couple weeks.  So I'm planning for at least two months of WFH and kids at home (mid-May) and longer if we haven't got our national #### together by the end of March.

We do IT support for small businesses. One of our clients told their remote office users to work from home if possible. One of the guys took this to mean that he should box up his entire desktop computer, dual monitors, and local printer and take it all home. He plugged everything back in and called this morning fuming because he couldnt get logged onto the network. Its gonna be a long couple weeks.

We do IT support for small businesses. One of our clients told their remote office users to work from home if possible. One of the guys took this to mean that he should box up his entire desktop computer, dual monitors, and local printer and take it all home. He plugged everything back in and called this morning fuming because he couldnt get logged onto the network. Its gonna be a long couple weeks.
I had to explain to someone what a browser was last night. "I just click on the blue e." 🤦‍♂️

So do this all again then? I don’t see it. 
How do you not? Do you think they will have a vax by fall/winter?
Even without a magic-bullet COVID treatment ... the knowledge gained by studying this thing and it's spread for 7-8 months will be invaluable to mitigating the effects of subsequent outbreaks. For one, that's more time to collaborate with economic allies and get "easy & fast" testing ramped way up. Like "do 10 million tests in a week" ramped up.

In turn, with (much) more testing, you get earlier detection of cases and more effective isolation of carriers. This is basically South Korea's model right now.

Meanwhile, anti-viral research continues. Hopefully, before long, there will be something like the "Mercury 7 program" of vaccine testing going on by year's end.

Did you tell him to restart?

Same here in South Florida. Don't understand the mentality of waiting until a student is reported as contaminated before making a drastic move like closing the schools. Stupid and short-sighted. I won't go so far as saying it's a cultural thing but I'm close. 
Our county Super sent out an e-mail last night saying this.  "Our county is low risk for community transmission" and "we'll close schools with a positive test and reopen 2-14 days later".  Not sure I've ever seen a more unanimous reaction from parents on any subject.  He changed his mind by morning and closed everything.

I think it’s reasonable to consider whether spread of the virus is inevitable.  You hate to go there but it’s a valid question to ask.  
No, it's a very valid question that already has an answer: the spread of the virus is inevitable.

The idea is to spread the infections over a long enough time period for the medical system (at whatever capacity is available) to keep pace. Just because all humans will likely get the virus within, say, a decade doesn't mean it's beneficial to have everyone get infect all at once to "get it over with". Lives -- many millions of them -- can be saved.

Not to be dismissive ... but so many of these science articles are bad due to their superficiality and their lack of journalists understanding of where the cutting edge of the research actually lies. The virus was "caught" on 12/30/2019 (or 12/31, I forget) in a Chinese lab, and its genome sequenced about a week later. SARS-CoV-2 has not a been a mystery pathogen that no one could isolate.
That’s disappointing then :(

I know it has been mentioned but bears repeating. Thanks to everyone in this thread that got me to casually buy a little more food each time to stock up over the past few weeks so I don't have to go out and shop now if I don't want to. :thumbup:  
My wife told me I was crazy 2 weeks ago but she did it anyway. So also thanks to everyone here.

‘Hamilton’ weekend performances to continue in Miami despite coronavirus pandemic

>> No refunds offered at this time <<

>> One of the actors in the performance is calling that decision "disgraceful," since audiences are generally full of older people who are most at risk of severe illness.

One patron who planned to attend one of this weekend’s “Hamilton” performances told Local 10 News that they are currently caring for a sickly relative and are outraged that the Arsht Center is not providing refunds at this time to those who wish to skip out on the performance as a precaution. <<
Ok, I'm now going with cultural differences aka ignorance. I live down here and have seen it on a continuous basis over the past week or so. 

Instead of Riveting Rosie, we have Ventilator Vicky?

I don’t know, are these machines complex?   I feel like most of the bells and whistles are necessary.  I get your point, but you wouldn’t really want to rush build a breathing machine.  The threat of lawsuit-palooza would likely keep this from happening.  
The executive branch (probably via the FDA or another agency) can grant immunity to the manufacturers. I'm not really saying "rush and build them lousy" anyway. I mean more like an engineering challenge ... ventilators have been around a long time. What do they have now that they didn't have, say, in the 1970s? Would 1970s-style ventilators -- or something based on that design -- be useful in an emergency situation? And so forth.

Currently with 36 deaths, or 3%.  I understand that's very high as there are people who have it who don't know or haven't been tested.

11 days ago we had right at 100 confirmed cases in the US, now we're at 1,215 cases as of yesterday.  That's a bit over 28% growth per day, on average.  If not contained, that means that 10 days from now we'll be looking at about 18k cases.  10 days from then, we'll be looking at over 200k.  And that's only looking at the confirmed cases, not including those that are positive (possibly not realizing it) who haven't been tested.
I've had time to digest the spreadsheet @icon posted last night.  Some of the variables could be wrong, and can be adjusted to change things.  But it does a great job of pointing out the issues with death rates/confirmed cases, etc.

Sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZSuR2yc-8JpMAuuhXR7Qw3xQfjTDdcEM1Q5WvKoz3cw/edit#gid=0

Let's imagine that sheet is accurate and understand what the numbers really mean:

Number of People Infected: 203,854 - That sounds like a lot!  How on earth are there 200k people infected in the USA and our medical centers aren't being overrun?

Number of People in Incubation Stage -110,050 - That's a shocking number.  This means that over half of the US infections are people that are in the incubation stage, ie, they are showing no symptoms and don't know they have the corona virus.  These are people that are being caught in South Korea.  These are people that are NOT being caught anywhere else.  

Number of People in pre-hospitalization stage - 192,757 - 95% of people in this country with the corona virus are in the PRE-hospitalization stage.  That means their possible trip to the ICU is in the future.

Now some of the variables in the spreadsheet may be inaccurate and I'll leave it to others to debate whether or not those are right/wrong and adjust numbers.  But this is the single best tool I've seen on these boards since we've been discussing this to illustrate the reality of the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all in for social distancing, cancelling events, stopping the spread, etc.  But I'm getting pretty sick of being inundated with every single company's "response to Covid 19" email - I've heard from my bank, my insurance company, my lawyer, my doctor's office, PetSmart, CVS, Allen Edmonds, REI.  What do I care what Allen Edmond's response to the virus is?

TP / Kleenex aisle completely cleaned out at the local Wal-Mart.  Diapers and baby food stocked normally.  That seems off to me.

From an intellectual curiosity standpoint, it's oddly fascinating to see this kind of mass panic.

I only say this because I love you all like brothers and sisters...if you don't have a gun, think about getting a gun.  I don't think this virus is going to lead to the "dog eat dog" times where you'd need it.  But in the future if we get hit with something, and the food shelves end up looking like the TP shelves do today, you don't want to be defenseless when you've got the last ham sandwich in hungrytown.

His point is that while the US may not have as many beds per capita as say SK, we've become ICU bed heavy. 
This is a good point. A good counter point, given that the US has per profit healthcare, that the US has become ICU bed heavy because of demand. Demand that the coronavirus cases will add to, not replace

I'm all in for social distancing, cancelling events, stopping the spread, etc.  But I'm getting pretty sick of being inundated with every single company's "response to Covid 19" email - I've heard from my bank, my insurance company, my lawyer, my doctor's office, PetSmart, CVS, Allen Edmonds, REI.  What do I care what Allen Edmond's response to the virus is?
Good grief, totally agree.

Side note: The email I got from my employer yesterday was basically "We're very troubled by all the news / please take precautions / but yeah...you still have to work"

Maybe they want to be responsible. 🤷‍♀️

Something else that I am wondering about with all the work from homes going on.  Can the Internet and Cell Companies provide the needed bandwidth to accommodate all of this? 
A lot of people in this thread have been asking about this -- especially regarding the limitations of an individual VPN -- and I've not seen anyone really address it.

For those who aren't particularly familiar with telework: it's likely that you don't have to stay on your VPN the entire time you're working ... or even all that much at all. Chiefly, you'd need to be on the VPN to transfer files back and forth from (a) your laptop at home to (b) a machine at your office or a centralized server somewhere. But typically, you can do the rest of your work with those files offline, without being on the VPN

So, throughout your work-from-home day ... you'd be jumping on the VPN to move files, save to a central server, etc. and then jumping back off again. Talk to your IT folks at your work if you have them ... if not, your company's "computer guy". Or else I am happy to answer any questions about this here, either in this thread or via PM if we don't want to derail things too much here.

Or maybe a "Work From Home Issues & Answers" help thread? There's a ton I don't know, but I have worked from home off and on for 17 years -- I am happy to help brainstorm solutions and share what I know. There's also a lot of smarter folks in here that have helped with this kind of stuff in the FFA in the past and can likely help now.

Good grief, totally agree.

Side note: The email I got from my employer yesterday was basically "We're very troubled by all the news / please take precautions / but yeah...you still have to work"
still crickets from mine.

I'm over 50 with pre-existing conditions (I suppose)... it would be nice to know that they're at least working on a plan- I'm in the "can't afford to miss much time/paychecks" camp.

A lot of people in this thread have been asking about this -- especially regarding the limitations of an individual VPN -- and I've not seen anyone really address it.

For those who aren't particularly familiar with telework: it's likely that you don't have to stay on your VPN the entire time you're working ... or even all that much at all. Chiefly, you'd need to be on the VPN to transfer files back and forth from (a) your laptop at home to (b) a machine at your office or a centralized server somewhere. But typically, you can do the rest of your work with those files offline, without being on the VPN

So, throughout your work-from-home day ... you'd be jumping on the VPN to move files, save to a central server, etc. and then jumping back off again. Talk to your IT folks at your work if you have them ... if not, your company's "computer guy". Or else I am happy to answer any questions about this here, either in this thread or via PM if we don't want to derail things too much here.

Or maybe a "Work From Home Issues & Answers" help thread? There's a ton I don't know, but I have worked from home off and on for 17 years -- I am happy to help brainstorm solutions and share what I know. There's also a lot of smarter folks in here that have helped with this kind of stuff in the FFA in the past and can likely help now.
doug- you're doing the lord's work in here... can't thank you enough for the info you've been providing all along- above and beyond.

there's a work from home thread set up already... not sure if it's a questions and answers thing yet, but seems like it mgith as well be.

TP / Kleenex aisle completely cleaned out at the local Wal-Mart.  Diapers and baby food stocked normally.  That seems off to me.

From an intellectual curiosity standpoint, it's oddly fascinating to see this kind of mass panic.

I only say this because I love you all like brothers and sisters...if you don't have a gun, think about getting a gun.  I don't think this virus is going to lead to the "dog eat dog" times where you'd need it.  But in the future if we get hit with something, and the food shelves end up looking like the TP shelves do today, you don't want to be defenseless when you've got the last ham sandwich in hungrytown.
you get my bologna if you can pry it from my cold dead fingers.   or something like that.

I am not sure the strategy of having colleges finish out the year remotely is going to have the outcome as intended. Our son is home for break and was told not to go back to school. Classes in the classroom have been eliminated the rest of the year. 

So instead, he’s partying at other campuses instead, and for kids that can’t stay on campus they are out clubbing or partying off campus. The point is, college kids will end up being in closer proximity than they were when they were going to class. Now they don’t have to worry about getting up and getting out to class. This will probably backfire. But I guess the colleges can say whatever happened was not on their watch, so they covered their butts. 
Maybe one of the ideas was minimizing the spread from young healthies to older professors, ancillary staff, etc. in typical college settings. At least kids going clubbing or partying amongst themselves generally spares the AARP set.

Re Sports (and the business of licensed products)...the assumption is unique here vs strikes, Anthem-gate, and other work stoppages or major player/league driven negative impacts on the business side in that everyone feels fans will come flooding back as soon as the leagues begin again.  So jerseys companies, etc are planning to be ready for that demand...vs planning to start cutting things off.

i can neither confirm nor deny I'm in the liquor store parking lot waiting for it to open
I stocked up on about a month's worth of liquor. i talked to the liquor store owner,  "I wanted to get in and out early before the madness sets in." He looked at me like I had 3 heads and said "Nah. Won't be too bad aside from a normal Friday night. " i just shrugged my shoulders and left.

I went to Publix and they were busy but not hurricane busy. Definite tension in the air. More like there's a tropical storm out there and we're  not sure if it  will be a Cat4 or where it will hit mood. TP gone.  My wife had been there 90 minutes earlier and grabbed a pack. I grabbed some Ibuprofen and some pseudoephedrine.  We have plenty of acetaminophen. 

I had a Starbucks gift card and went there for a pound of coffee to take home. Plenty of people in outside tables enjoying the great weather.

Less serious news i grabbed a corned beef brisket flat that I'll smoke for some pastrami, rye bread, kraut, Guinness and some Tullamore Dew. If my ancestors had survived prolonged famine and poverty, we can get through this. Slainte!

Less serious news i grabbed a corned beef brisket flat that I'll smoke for some pastrami, rye bread, kraut, Guinness and some Tullamore Dew. If my ancestors had survived prolonged famine and poverty, we can get through this. Slainte!
You need more potatoes for a culturally correct diet ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you!!  I work for a Fortune 40 Company and my daughter for an huge lending institution so we are very well supported, we both presume (on a call last evening, it was mentioned the company has close to 90K VPN Portals (I think)?).  Reading your post, it would seem that living in the EST, it would make sense to do the most online early in the morning to avoid major traffic.  As an aside, while it was nice to have pancakes with the whole family for breakfast this morning, I fear this'll lose its luster, fast.  I travel full time for work with extended deployments, then breaks at home and, being honest, have become accustom to so time to myself.

Some companies got burned when they increased production for Swine flu a decade ago.  Production might have ramped up sooner without that bad experience.
Which is why I think it's important for the Fed Govt to help back that financially. Those companies that took losses then should have had those losses potentially covered. 

Not to be dismissive ... but so many of these science articles are bad due to their superficiality and their lack of journalists understanding of where the cutting edge of the research actually lies. The virus was "caught" on 12/30/2019 (or 12/31, I forget) in a Chinese lab, and its genome sequenced about a week later. SARS-CoV-2 has not a been a mystery pathogen that no one could isolate.
That’s disappointing then :(
Don't be sorry for posting that article -- it's great to know that there are so many teams worldwide working on different aspects of the problem. And it's not the scientists' fault that the reporter didn't understand their research.

Users who are viewing this thread