What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

‘Hamilton’ weekend performances to continue in Miami despite coronavirus pandemic

>> No refunds offered at this time <<

>> One of the actors in the performance is calling that decision "disgraceful," since audiences are generally full of older people who are most at risk of severe illness.

One patron who planned to attend one of this weekend’s “Hamilton” performances told Local 10 News that they are currently caring for a sickly relative and are outraged that the Arsht Center is not providing refunds at this time to those who wish to skip out on the performance as a precaution. <<
I find the inevitable bad press that will come from this interesting. People automatically assume that the hamilton production is flush with cash and should just issue refunds. But what if they aren't? In reality the people that should probably bear the brunt of this are the people that could afford to buy the tickets and are now simply missing out on a show by staying home. 

On the one hand you literally have a group of people that would miss out on livelihood by not being able to work that night. 

On the other hand you have people that just miss out on seeing a silly play.

This is a case where the ambition for raw cash will benefit the fight against COVID. Jack Ma knows that a U.S. in severe economic turmoil is really bad for business, even while the Chinese Communist Party can't help but get digs in at the U.S.

Not slagging on the guy at all -- Ma is stepping in and helping while his country's government is more concerned with scoring geopolitical points.
Exactly. And trust me, we don't care about his reasons if he can help our citizens. Good for him. 

What are the plans for small businesses who are open to the public who have an employee test positive?  Obviously the rest of the employees are at risk.  However, I assume they will try to remain open and not shut down and have all employees self-quarantine.  Will it just be having sick people stay home and hope for the best with the remaining employees?

What are the plans for small businesses who are open to the public who have an employee test positive?  Obviously the rest of the employees are at risk.  However, I assume they will try to remain open and not shut down and have all employees self-quarantine.  Will it just be having sick people stay home and hope for the best with the remaining employees?
That is where having easily available tests would be helpful, could save lives and the economy.

Does your wife sub? My bro subs. It's not clear to me if subs will be compensated during the shutdown as well. He does work every week for 3 days because LA is big and lots of schools to cover.
No she does work at a hospital though :tinfoilhat:

As to you other question, that’s a good question.

That is where having easily available tests would be helpful, could save lives and the economy.
Yes, but even if/when testing is more available doesn't it take several days before someone will test positive?  I think they could be spreading in the meantime.  There just seems to be no good solution. 

I find the inevitable bad press that will come from this interesting. People automatically assume that the hamilton production is flush with cash and should just issue refunds. But what if they aren't? In reality the people that should probably bear the brunt of this are the people that could afford to buy the tickets and are now simply missing out on a show by staying home. 

On the one hand you literally have a group of people that would miss out on livelihood by not being able to work that night. 

On the other hand you have people that just miss out on seeing a silly play.
Yes, most of the attendees have disposable income and won't miss it. We're assuming the revenue will go toward the production of the play, including the actors and stage people. I hope that's the case. The center itself will likely get a share too.

Yes, but even if/when testing is more available doesn't it take several days before someone will test positive?  I think they could be spreading in the meantime.  There just seems to be no good solution. 
True. If a worker is known to be infected, a workplace could put all work on halt and test everyone. After they get all the results, those infected could stay home and those not infected could return to work. Seems better to be able to make more informed decisions. 

..if you don't have a gun, think about getting a gun.  I don't think this virus is going to lead to the "dog eat dog" times where you'd need it.  But in the future if we get hit with something, and the food shelves end up looking like the TP shelves do today, you don't want to be defenseless when you've got the last ham sandwich in hungrytown.
I have thought about this before and again in the recent past but I'm pretty ignorant on how to go about purchasing a gun. If I decided that I want/need a gun for protection, do I just walk into a store that sells them, pick one out, slap down some cash and come back and pick it up after whatever waiting period/background check is completed?

My intent is not to get into any sort of political gun control debate, I am just genuinely asking a stupid question. I'm in the middle when it comes to gun control, don't have strong opinions either way but I have a feeling that this question will spin out of control if left unchecked. Just give me the facts, Jack. Thanks. 

Who knows? There is no plan that works for everyone right? 

I assume there will be some help from State/Feds/big business in the region/charity.

Seattle for instance has a local legend restaurant dude - Tom Douglass. Owns a bunch of spots around town. He shut them all down a couple days ago. Can't afford to keep them running, doesn't want to have people coming in, etc.

Amazon and State are putting funds together to help for this type of thing but it's still going to be bad.

BREAKING: Italy reports 250 new deaths and 2,547 new cases, raising total to 1,266 dead and 17,660 cases

good news here is that new cases appears to be down for day

It depends on whether you think things are more likely than not to get worse from where we are now, and for the stock market to reflect that.

I 100% do expect that.

As such, I'd try to preserve as much of a 401k as possible right now from further losses.
Fair. But you should be investing your new 401k funds into a 90/10 stock to bond mix now with stock prices depressed and not the other way around. Target 30 years out. 

I'm all in for social distancing, cancelling events, stopping the spread, etc.  But I'm getting pretty sick of being inundated with every single company's "response to Covid 19" email - I've heard from my bank, my insurance company, my lawyer, my doctor's office, PetSmart, CVS, Allen Edmonds, REI.  What do I care what Allen Edmond's response to the virus is?
Has Ashley Madison sent out a statement yet?

Museums around the country are starting to close. Know of ones in Boston, Indianpolis, and San Jose. Can't imagine many other cities are far behind

I have thought about this before and again in the recent past but I'm pretty ignorant on how to go about purchasing a gun. If I decided that I want/need a gun for protection, do I just walk into a store that sells them, pick one out, slap down some cash and come back and pick it up after whatever waiting period/background check is completed?

My intent is not to get into any sort of political gun control debate, I am just genuinely asking a stupid question. I'm in the middle when it comes to gun control, don't have strong opinions either way but I have a feeling that this question will spin out of control if left unchecked. Just give me the facts, Jack. Thanks. 
You have the process correct in FL for in person purchases unless you have a Concealed Permit in which case you can take it home the same day after a quick background check.  If you buy online, the store you buy from has to ship it to a local gun dealer who will perform the background check and transfer to you for a fee. Deals are better online even with the fee but I try to buy locally as much as possible to help keep the local guys going.

In Pa the background check is while you wait for long guns

You have the process correct in FL for in person purchases unless you have a Concealed Permit in which case you can take it home the same day after a quick background check.  If you buy online, the store you buy from has to ship it to a local gun dealer who will perform the background check and transfer to you for a fee. Deals are better online even with the fee but I try to buy locally as much as possible to help keep the local guys going.
Yep.  I also STRONGLY encourage taking a class on gun safety if you purchase a gun.  Be a responsible gun owner.

When I bought my shotgun in WI, I walked out with the gun and shells that day.  I filled out a form, they took it in the back, and everything must have checked out.

Picked up one with a good spread :BillBurr:

Users who are viewing this thread