What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

We didn't get an actual timeline on when the drive through testing (sponsored by Walmart) will actually start, did we?
Didn’t they say these tests typically take 6 months to develop, although I assume they have all hands on deck to provide soon(er)?

Didn’t they say these tests typically take 6 months to develop, although I assume they have all hands on deck to provide soon(er)?
South Korea has had them for weeks.  So there shouldn't be any need to develop anything.  It's science.  You don't have to re-invent the science from the ground up.  What works there, would work here.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they said that. After we declined to use tests developed elsewhere.

Meanwhile Senegal (Senegal!) has developed a test with a 4 hour turnaround.

So whether the disconnect is due to incompetence, intentional malfeasance, or a web of lies being inconsistent is unclear. Personally, I’d bet it is some of each.

It's been clear for days that Spain is right on Italy's heels and headed for disaster on an equal scale. 

As of yesterday, they were tracking to Italy on March 3rd. That trend has continued and accelerated today. 
This hits way too close to home. My father is from Spain. I’ve got tons of tios, tias and primos over there and I fear for their safety. We all need to start coming to grips with the fact that most of us will have a lot to grieve over after this is all done. 

As for my father, he’s 82 years old. He and  mother are board to staying out of the public for a while. Thanks to this thread, I was able to convince them to start stocking up as of last week. 

Heard 30+ year old healthy triathlete in MN is in ICU on a ventilator with lungs which are completely overwhelmed by this thing.
I had heard the 30 year old patient was in critical condition, but didn't know anything else. Surprised to see they're an athlete.

Anyone know if it is effective to have a bowl of rubbing alcohol that you can repeatedly dip your hands in?  Will the alcohol remain sterile?  Will your hands be ok?

Mr. Ham said:
By the way, I expect that my family and I will get this. I just don’t want us to have it when healthcare resources are taxed. Strategy is to avoid getting it at least before June.
Wasn't even questioning you, your decisions, or any of that. It is just the aspect of reading a post in a vacuum, without background or context, can make it really stand out. Yours just happened to be one of those. I'm sure there are tons of these in this thread I never saw.

Anyone know if it is effective to have a bowl of rubbing alcohol that you can repeatedly dip your hands in?  Will the alcohol remain sterile?  Will your hands be ok?
Yikes.  I think that would cause your hands to crack and open up in a few days of that.  Hand sanitizer with aloe is bad enough, repeatedly using pure alcohol sounds brutal to me.

San Antonio just had it's first non-evacuee confirmed case. So of course every store in the city was overwhelmed with panicked idiots buying up everything in sight.

Yeah, they said that. After we declined to use tests developed elsewhere.

Meanwhile Senegal (Senegal!) has developed a test with a 4 hour turnaround.

So whether the disconnect is due to incompetence, intentional malfeasance, or a web of lies being inconsistent is unclear. Personally, I’d bet it is some of each.
it's about money.  money and not getting sued(aka money)

damn, Spain and France following right after Italy.  Germany is doing something right.
The cases are exploding in Germany.  Deaths are low, which probably speaks to the state of their healthcare.  But it would be nice if they'd let the world in on their secret.

Grocery store here in NSB busy but not really out of anything this afternoon. No confirmed cases here yet and only 3 in the county.  But I'm sure they're coming and even walking among us right now.  2nd week of Bikeweek in Daytona and they're everywhere. It's almost as if I can see the viruses shedding off of them in the wind as they roar by.

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a massive inflow of patients over the next month. This is the last place I would want to be at that time. I was really dreading the timing of all of this but alas, my lil one made it easier for us and her. This hospital used to be extremely lenient with visitors but yesterday they just limited visitors to just one person per patient. Today, they are implementing mandatory face masks for everyone walking around the hospital. Very happy with both of those decisions. 

To add a lil more drama, my wife is a Nurse Practitioner in this very hospital. They already have at least three confirmed corona virus patients here. Last thing I want is for my wife to be this close to the potential chaos that could be. Now, she will enjoy her 4 moth maternity in isolation enjoying her new found motherhood. This baby is a god send.

Our governor waited until 4:30 on Friday afternoon to inform us that we are now on WFH next week.  This is after getting a battle plan for next week all laid out to handle the move to online instruction.  Thanks!

Wow, that’s not cool at all. So you go to get your food but you have to dodge all the sick people waiting for tests in the parking lot?

Aren’t there plenty of vacant Sears, Toys r Us and Kmarts they could use? 
Sears, and the rest, can’t make any money off this. Walmart will cash in renting their parking lots to the government. 

What sucks is I got all the food we could possibly need to ride this out weeks ago, but it never fails I get a craving for something I didn’t buy. 

I just am dying for a bowl of Fruit Loops. Is it worth wading into the masses of people for? I am going back and forth on it 
I shared a backyard fence from birth through middle school with a kid who grew up to manage the local Albertson's. He told me to come in at 6am when they open. The place is quiet stocked and as sanitary as it will be until the next 6am.

discussion with CEO of my small company this morning:

Me - we have to put WFH policy in place. gotta prepare now for what is certain to come next week.

Him - there are no confirmed cases yet in [city of several million people where we live], and only a handful in the entire state.

Me - it is 100% certain this virus is in [city of several million people where we live], its just that they are not testing. We have to be ready.

Him - Schools are open, we need to be at work.

Me - it is 100% certain many if not most schools and daycares in [city of several million people where we live] will be closed by Monday.  Parents will have to stay home with their kids. We have to be ready.

As of one hour ago, we now have several confirmed positive tests, and the school closings are coming in waves.  I doubt a single school or daycare will be open on Monday.  Of course, our outside IT vendor is swamped and its very hard to get questions answered re: WFH tech.  Luckily, we have some smart millenials on staff who already know what we need to do.

Our governor waited until 4:30 on Friday afternoon to inform us that we are now on WFH next week.  This is after getting a battle plan for next week all laid out to handle the move to online instruction.  Thanks!
My bosses boss sent out an email at 3pm to tell the team they were WFH next week.  Spoiler Alert for him - I was going to do that anyway

Users who are viewing this thread