What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (22 Viewers)

I don't get the resistance to this idea.  Yeah, it shouldn't be $1000 out of pocket to get it done, and you can't uninfect the people you might have come in contact with, but it will stop you and others from spreading it farther.  
:goodposting: Not to mention that I'd like to know if I had it.  Once I'm well (was it the flu B?, Corona?, another bad bug?) that completely changes the calculus on how I interact with the outside world.  Shoot, I could theoretically volunteer at a hospital or somewhere else when they are needing help because I know I had already had it.

Probably covered, but why are people buying water?  I turn on my tap, run it through my Brita filter, and I'm good.  I honestly don't get this part.
I’ve seen FB posts declaring the virus will contaminate the water supply...friends of my friends so at least I’m not directly linked to it.

TP is worth more than a barrel of crude oil.
     The toilet paper hoarding is one of the most confusing things to me as it is made in the US and I heard today supplies are abundant....once they get reordered and restocked.  Stores were blindsided by the hoarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably covered, but why are people buying water?  I turn on my tap, run it through my Brita filter, and I'm good.  I honestly don't get this part.
In the event of mass outbreak if you live in a small suburb and water employees get sick who changes out the sand?

I'm very happy that I topped off our pantry a couple of weeks ago.  Mrs. K braved our grocery store today, and they were out of pasta, beans, and other similar staples.  Also weird items like fresh garlic (WTF it's not a dracula epidemic?) that we'll have to work around.  She said it was very random with regards to what was sold out.

I'm very happy that I topped off our pantry a couple of weeks ago.  Mrs. K braved our grocery store today, and they were out of pasta, beans, and other similar staples.  Also weird items like fresh garlic (WTF it's not a dracula epidemic?) that we'll have to work around.  She said it was very random with regards to what was sold out.
Stocked up today, once this clears up I’m gonna need a good Vienna sausage and egg noodles recipe 

What some are saying..

People stockpiling more now are saying now that the kids are home, it's going to be harder to go out on their own for errands. 

If you're going to stand in those lines, might as well fill the cart up so you don't have to go through it again.

:goodposting: Not to mention that I'd like to know if I had it.  Once I'm well (was it the flu B?, Corona?, another bad bug?) that completely changes the calculus on how I interact with the outside world.  Shoot, I could theoretically volunteer at a hospital or somewhere else when they are needing help because I know I had already had it.
Or, just cancel large gatherings, limiting your ability to interact with the outside world.

Your individual interactions are a drop in the bucket.

Took inventory today.. Just ran numbers, I feel comfortable we have at least 6-7 months of food with 3 full meals a day composed of a fairly interesting menu (not just rice and beans). 

Breakfast: A mix of eggs (powdered), bacon, pancakes (w syrup/honey), oatmeal (w fruit or honey). 

Lunch/Dinner: Range of canned soups/stews, plus frozen proteins (steak, ground beef, chicken breast, pork loin, cod, salmon, shrimp) and some canned meats. Throw in 24 MREs and two Wise 60-Day "Meat & Poultry Supply Buckets. 

Sides are a blend of canned veggies/tomatoes/beans, frozen veggies, rice, pasta, powdered potatoes, Mac & cheese, etc 

Not to mention all needed seasonings, sauces, cooking oils, etc. 

https://twitter.com/nickkristof/status/1238618948272259073?s=21

A hospital in Seattle area has sent out a note to staff, shared with me, suspending elective surgery and warning that "our local COVID-19 trajectory is likely to be similar to that of Northern Italy." The hospital is down to a four-day supply of gloves.
This was always my biggest concern.  It’s not toilet paper we will run out of that could literally kill us.  But hospital supplies, beds, and access to ICU where things become really acute? Scary there.

Took inventory today.. Just ran numbers, I feel comfortable we have at least 6-7 months of food with 3 full meals a day composed of a fairly interesting menu (not just rice and beans). 

Breakfast: A mix of eggs (powdered), bacon, pancakes (w syrup/honey), oatmeal (w fruit or honey). 

Lunch/Dinner: Range of canned soups/stews, plus frozen proteins (steak, ground beef, chicken breast, pork loin, cod, salmon, shrimp) and some canned meats. Throw in 24 MREs and two Wise 60-Day "Meat & Poultry Supply Buckets. 

Sides are a blend of canned veggies/tomatoes/beans, frozen veggies, rice, pasta, powdered potatoes, Mac & cheese, etc 
Seems excessive 

If you're buying a water filtration system, Zero water hands down. Comes with a meter to measure how good the water is. I used to use Brita too, until I put the meter in it and saw it's not all it claims to be.

As for buying water, some areas have bad tap water. I know in my area sometimes it's not bad and other times I'd rather not drink it.

Again I think in a situation like this it's wrong to stand in judgment as to what people are buying and how much. I'm sure many are battling mental even more now and get some comfort from feeling better prepared. 

I’m making a big pot of spaghetti sauce tomorrow for freezing, so I grabbed some garlic

parasaurolophus said:
Meat and poultry supply bucket is the point I would rather just die. 
It's definitely for long term emergency backup. Dishes include: Freeze dried roast chicken, Southwest chicken, teriyaki chicken, beef stroganoff, cheesy beef (sup tacos!), roasted beef.

Will be worked into other ingredients for meals if it comes down to that. 

Da Guru said:
Well Trump is correct on this one and I think everyone will agree.  We need our own supply line of medicines.  We never should depend on China or any other country for that matter for these goods.
Imagine the prices and copays though..

CurlyNight said:
You can't do social distancing in supermarkets. Even in regular times many stores are busy. Food and drink are necessary to live. 
I agree, but you are passing hundreds of people, and standing in line with many more.   Odds are much higher. Remember it only takes one spore..some infected person sneezes in a store and it is airborne. 

So if you are out shopping going to a small party should be the least of our worries.

Dan Lambskin said:
Seems excessive 
It's more than I was expecting. I was targeting 3-4 months. Glad I took inventory. Definitely done.

What's funny is it's all in the freezer, small pantry, and a corner of a guest room closet. House does not look "prepped" but we can easily shutter in as long as needed and avoid the.herds. 

It's long term emergency backup. Dishes include: Freeze dried roast chicken, Southwest chicken, teriyaki chicken, beef stroganoff, cheesy beef (sup tacos!), roasted beef.

Will be worked into other ingredients for meals if it comes down to that. 
Just messin with you. I am a vegetarian. 

This is sad. Someone found an elderly couple crying in their car overwhelmed and scared to go in the market.
I helped an older woman find her car yesterday at Kroger.   She said she shops during the day and it is never crowded. Now the lot was so full she did not remember where she parked, and I walked through the whole lot hitting her panic alarm but of course her battery did not work.  I asked what are you driving and she said a White Ford SUV, there were about 40 white ford SUVs in the lot.    We finally found it after about 20 minutes or so.    Felt so bad for her.

I agree, but you are passing hundreds of people, and standing in line with many more.   Odds are much higher. Remember it only takes one spore..some infected person sneezes in a store and it is airborne. 

So if you are out shopping going to a small party should be the least of our worries.
By going to that party you could spread it to that crowd without knowing it. And what contact did they have?, are you going home to compromised or elderly? We can't completely shelter in but until test kits are out there, it's not a bad idea to do our part.

There is such a cacophony of input into this thread. Far out ideas coming from every direction. Dudes "practice feeding" their family rice and beans. All the way to Icon stocked up with 6 months worth of MRE's. Icon you must have the military background am I right brother? You are prepped brother lol :hifive:

IvanKaramazov said:
Fresh garlic is delicious with all the pasta they are buying.

If I had kids the one thing I would glean from this entire thing is making sure they have at least rudimentary knowledge of common biology principles. In other words, make sure they get an A in Biology 101. So much simple "common sense" biology stuff is flying way over everyone's heads. We are only a few key terms and concepts away from a lot of this panic being avoided.

JbizzleMan said:
https://twitter.com/nickkristof/status/1238618948272259073?s=21

A hospital in Seattle area has sent out a note to staff, shared with me, suspending elective surgery and warning that "our local COVID-19 trajectory is likely to be similar to that of Northern Italy." The hospital is down to a four-day supply of gloves.
I was going to post this earlier but figured no one would take creed as it's not from a source I can cite to you all and sounds so unreliable . But now I will and you can choose to believe this or not.

The source of this information.  One of my oldest and best friends sister, who is a pediatric doctor in Arkansas and she is relaying the information she got from a front line Intensivist (ICU) doctor in Seattle she knows. So no this information is not being provided to me directly by someone I know, so believe me when I say the source is reliable. Some of the main things she said:

*We have 21 patients and 11 deaths since 2/28

*We are seeing patients in their 20's, fit, no comorbidities, critically ill. So it does happen.

*US has been past containment since January

*Currently all of ICU is for critically ill COVIDS, all of floor medsburg for stable COVIDS and EOL care, half of PCU, half of ER.(everything I just wrote was her words, I don't know what some of that stuff means)

*she went on a long spiel about being out a lot of stuff like N95's and are bleaching and reusing PAPRS which is not the manufactures recommendation. (again her words, I don't know what some of that stuff means)

*terminal cleans for ER COVID rooms are taking forever. Enviro services are overwhelmed. Bad as patients stuck coughing in waiting room. Wanted to implement a plan to have patients wait in cars but indicated it was not legal their.

So I'm at my fiance's parents house and her mom is coughing up a storm. They say she's had it for a month. Odds here boys?

Loyal Guests,

Your Texas Roadhouse family has always taken pride in delivering Legendary Food and Legendary Service in a safe and clean environment. During this unprecedented time, we want to assure you we have taken proactive measures to address the issue of Coronavirus in our communities.

The health and safety of our guests and Roadies (employees) is and always will be our top priority. With the guidance of the CDC and other public health officials, we have enhanced the frequency and scope of our sanitizing procedures to maintain our already high standards. We continue to add resources and focus on handwashing, hygiene, and sanitation in our restaurants.

On behalf of all of our Managing Partners across the country, thank you for your loyalty and trust.

Kent Taylor

Texas Roadhouse
Founder & CEO

It's more than I was expecting. I was targeting 3-4 months. Glad I took inventory. Definitely done.

What's funny is it's all in the freezer, small pantry, and a corner of a guest room closet. House does not look "prepped" but we can easily shutter in as long as needed and avoid the.herds. 
Same here, although probably more like 2-3 months worth - a plastic bin in the garage filled with supplies,  a couple more cans of the dehydrated stuff in the pantry, and a couple hundred gallons of water stored in stackable cubes in a closet.  But that's all normal for me because I live in earthquake (and now fire/power outage), country.  Added a generator and fuel last fire season after we lost power for 7 days (and had to throw out two freezers/fridges worth of food).

I still went out this week and picked up some more cold meds, Advil, acetaminophen, and a little extra rice, beans, cans of tuna/chicken, that kind of stuff.  And wine, lots of wine.  

I honestly don't ever expect to dig into the dehydrated stuff, hell I bought all of it several years ago.  But it's just a little "nutritional insurance" in case I got caught by some sort of disaster right before our monthly Costco run and the pantry was low.

I helped an older woman find her car yesterday at Kroger.   She said she shops during the day and it is never crowded. Now the lot was so full she did not remember where she parked, and I walked through the whole lot hitting her panic alarm but of course her battery did not work.  I asked what are you driving and she said a White Ford SUV, there were about 40 white ford SUVs in the lot.    We finally found it after about 20 minutes or so.    Felt so bad for her.
These are so sad :(   Good job man. 

We have a few elderly folks in our neighborhood... going to check on them tomorrow and make sure they have someone to help with any needs. 

IvanKaramazov said:
Fresh garlic pairs really well in lots of way with 200 lbs of venison 👍🏼

• Love
Reactions: Ned
Got the email just after 5pm local time with various updates including the directive to work from home if capable without disrupting business processes.

My school district sent an update that at this point they will be open as normal when spring break is over on March 24th:

Dear CUSD Parents and Staff,

As we reach the mid-point of spring break, we would like to provide an update regarding our actions and plans related to protecting students, staff and the community from the Coronavirus.   We are taking this issue very seriously and are closely monitoring updates from national, state and county health experts.

Governor Ducey, State Superintendent Kathy Hoffman, and Director of Arizona Department of Health Services Dr. Cara Christ provided direction on Thursday afternoon, March 12th, advising school districts to remain open based on current information.   Dr. Christ shared with school leaders that school closures could potentially lead to an increase in community spread if students were to be placed in a different congregate area outside of their regular communities for childcare purposes. Importantly, when community spread is minimal, keeping our schools open also provides children with a regular routine that helps reduce panic and fear. 

It is important to note that there are no confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the Chandler Unified School District.   CUSD is in a favorable position as students are not scheduled to return for another 11 days.   At this time, CUSD is planning to resume classes on Tuesday, March 24th, with the following safeguards in place.  

Students who have traveled to high-risk areas as identified by the CDC should self-isolate for 14 calendar days after their return.  Absences will be excused.

Staff who have traveled to high-risk areas will be required to self-isolate for 14 calendar days after their return. 

Out-of-state travel for students and staff has been suspended until further notice.

Although CUSD has an established system to keep schools clean, cleaning measures have been modified to minimize the spread of this specific virus.

Note: Parents who choose to keep their children home will have their absence excused.

The District Emergency Management Team will continue to meet daily to monitor and adjust actions as necessary to keep our students, families and employees healthy.   We will provide updated information and address specific questions before the end of next week through School Messenger.  In the meantime, follow the most current national and state updates on our website at www.cusd80.com/covid19.     

Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we navigate these challenging times.

CUSD Emergency Management Team

Users who are viewing this thread