What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

Put it this way.  Your entire life you (otis) have brought down the GDP.   Every step you take reduces the overall economy by your bloated expense accounts.   

There are those that add value, build stuff, ship stuff, and give it to hard-ish working Americans that have expense accounts.  Luckily there are more of thems than yous.

The thems are working and the yous arent'.  Eventually the world needs people on expense accounts to go figure out what the thems should be doing, but we can mange a few weeks/months and the world won't stop.
🤣

I saw North Korea announced they are increasing quarantine to 30 days. That was the first bit I heard about NK through this whole thing. I wonder what their numbers look like.

"About six weeks ago, China was reporting on the first 41 cases of confirmed #coronavirus in that country. Singapore and Hong Kong have now each hit 50 cases. Modeling suggests that the time from first introduction to epidemic spread is about 10 weeks."

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1227680583322603520

1000 Los Angeles Residents being monitored and told to self quarantine for 14 days.

Safe to assume the vast majority of these people are not equipped to self-quarantine for 2 weeks. 

I rode the subway in Japan at rush hour when I was there in November of 2018. Virus in the wild there, given crazy density of people, is not something can can or will be contained. I walked for many, many miles throughout Tokyo, and often you can turn in a 360 degree circle and see literally thousands of people. It is a culture built on community and close quarters.
A friend of mine just took his family to Tokyo for a vacation/conference. Posting pics all over the city. I'm just going to assume he's going to come back with it. Luckily he lives in FL and I'm in SC so I've probably got a good week or two before it spreads up to me :thumbup:

I fail to see how Tokyo doesn’t equal Wuhan in similar time. Very, very likely given the stories linked about that well in excess of 41 cases are “in the wild” in that city. It is also much harder to shut down air traffic from Tokyo to the rest of the world, as it’s an international hub, than it was Wuhan. 
Haneda isn't as important as it used to be.  Beijing, Shanghai, and HK all serve more passengers and flights now. It still would suck in the sense that you need that in a lot of cases to get east coast US to places like Singapore.  Those routings would need to be picked up on the west coast.

:lmao: at the idea that anyone will stay on board.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/44-new-coronavirus-cases-diamond-princess-passengers-guest-disembarkation

“Princess Cruises has been informed that over the next several days, Japanese health officials are planning a voluntary disembarkation of guests to complete their quarantine period at a shoreside facility,” the cruise line wrote in an update on its website. “From the information available it is our understanding that this will be a phased approach, with the most medically vulnerable guests in the first phase, including older adults with pre-existing health conditions.”

Once screened, guests who test positive will be transported to local hospitals. Those who test negative will be given the option of relocating to a shoreside facility, with individual rooms and bathrooms, for the final stages of quarantine. Guests are “also welcome to stay" on the Diamond Princess, if they so choose.

Disgusting.  How would people feel if somebody tried to make light of the lives lost on September 11th?   The fact that the people that are dying are not on our soil doesn’t make it fair game to be dismissive about it.  It’s a modern day plague that a tyrannical government is doing everything it can to hide the details of.  It shouldn’t be mocked our joked about. 

Disgusting.  How would people feel if somebody tried to make light of the lives lost on September 11th?   The fact that the people that are dying are not on our soil doesn’t make it fair game to be dismissive about it.  It’s a modern day plague that a tyrannical government is doing everything it can to hide the details of.  It shouldn’t be mocked our joked about. 
It's like the kids who went in to the grocery store and sprayed food with a spray bottle labeled "Coronavirus."  They had to throw away all of that food.  For a prank.  

It's like the kids who went in to the grocery store and sprayed food with a spray bottle labeled "Coronavirus."  They had to throw away all of that food.  For a prank.  
It’’s not even about the food—it’s about showing some respect to people that are losing fathers, mothers, daughters, sons, and friends to this thing.  There are soo many things on this earth that are fair game to joke about.  The fact that somebody would choose a plague that is killing thousands of people to be the subject matter of a prank is morally reprehensible.

It’’s not even about the food—it’s about showing some respect to people that are losing fathers, mothers, daughters, sons, and friends to this thing.  There are soo many things on this earth that are fair game to joke about.  The fact that somebody would choose a plague that is killing thousands of people to be the subject matter of a prank is morally reprehensible.
To an extent, I totally agree.  I'm fine with making jokes like that within the confines of your circle.  But the problem with what they did was putting in the open.  

Coronavirus could begin to empty shelves by mid-April

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2020/02/12/target-best-buy-coronavirus-supply-disruption/41223461/

Target Corp. and Best Buy Co. Inc. could be among the first U.S. companies to take a direct hit from the coronavirus outbreak as concerns grow about disruptions to supply chain networks in China.

Although current inventories are strong at most of the nation’s big-box retailers, analysts from Wells Fargo warn that shoppers could start seeing empty store shelves as early as mid-April.

“We believe the time to start worry about the supply chain risk … is here,” the report said.
It's important to note that this doesn't apply nearly as much to our food supply chain, but a lot of medical/sanitation supplies (Big concern) as well as consumer goods (not a big concern) could be impacted. 

‘You Can’t Make This #### Up’: Inside the Brewing Coronavirus Mutiny at a California Marine Base
DISCLAIMER: Daily Beast article - Sensationalistic

vacuees from the epicenter of the new, deadly coronavirus under quarantine at a Marine Corps base in San Diego veered toward revolt on Wednesday after U.S. officials admitted to mistakenly releasing an infected patient back into the group.

Dozens of temporary residents at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar have signed a petition demanding better oversight at the facility, where about 230 people were being held after evacuating last week from China. The fears expressed in the petition, a copy of which was obtained by The Daily Beast, echoed concerns raised by experts in recent days about whether individuals without symptoms can transmit the disease.

Jacob Wilson, a 33-year-old American evacuee from Louisiana who works at a tech start-up in Wuhan—the Chinese epicenter of the virus—told The Daily Beast he signed the petition in order to correct what he called “damn near criminal” and “irresponsible” actions by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) officials responsible for the base’s quarantine protocols.

“Everyone who reads about these intensive CDC screenings doesn’t realize that we aren’t even being tested,” said Wilson. “The screenings are a huge joke: temperature check and are you symptomatic. That’s it.”

One of the problems is that social and other media share this and validate the behavior. I always get really mad when I see videos of people climbing on building and high structures. Ban those videos and fine the producers. You have to choke off the supply side, and incentives now go the other way.
The internet is whack a mole. YouTube cracked own on controversial stuff so LiveLeak popped up.

If the demand is there you'll never choke off the supply side. 

Also... First amendment. This isn't Beijing. While stunts like the above should be (and are) illegal... I'm strongly against ANY government regulation of speech/expression unless expressly and seriously harmful to public health. 

Mr. Ham said:
I came back from a trip that passed through International Terminal of Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson the weekend prior (joked about it here during), and spent all of last week as sick as I’ve been in years with a hacking cough and what was obviously an oozing and hideous sinus infection. I read that if you don’t have a fever, you should wait 10 days for a sinus infection to go to the doctor, because if it’s viral anti-biopics won’t help. Finally diminished on Day 10 enough that I can sleep without hacking.

Since I self diagnosed as a sinus infection, I was out and about several times to stores, and gym on the first day home and by Day 7 when I felt like I was mending.(I washed my hands and used anti-bacterial goo before and after and no sneezing or coughing at those stages.)

I wasn’t driving to the ER, or even jumpy enough to go to my GP. But maybe my behavior proves the opposite of your assumption. A lot of people like me have symptoms of illness, but aren’t going to be holed up at home behind plastic. 
Nice job, Gaétan Dugasham

It doesn’t matter what the numbers say. This will be a global pandemic. Now it’s about mitigating complications, not isolating. Hand washing, masks and quarantine will help, but only slow it down marginally. Compare it to seasonal flu, only orders of magnitude more contagious. Focus should be on vaccines and drugs to treat uptake in lungs. To what degree we accept this reality globally and assimilate it, or decide to modify behaviors, will be interesting to see in the coming month or two.

If we get past that point and it doesn’t break that way, I’ll be happy to eat crow, which will obviously spark another outbreak because we never learn.
I'm going to pull a @Capella and tell you to dial it back a whole lot. We get it; you have your hair on fire over this.

From the article —

“I think that it’s a lot of fear mongering. There’s a lot of racism surrounding it. I don’t think it’s appropriate. But I’m not mad," said rider Claudette Hodge.

Stupid? Yes

A little funny? Debateable

Racist? :lol:

The Toyko Marathon is at the end of the month.   Will be interesting to see if that gets cancelled or something.  So far looking online they are just offering face masks to everyone.

Forget for a moment about the death rate - what does the US look like if, say, 1% of the population is sick at any given moment? (for reference, in Wuhan roughly 0.27% of the population is sick).  Things don't grind to a halt - 99% of the population is still ok.  Community still goes on.  Still, the hysteria will be unavoidable which means there will be a run on certain goods, as we have already seen.

How do we prepare for it?  I can't imagine infrastructure breaking down - IMO the lights will stay on, the water will still flow.  Realistically, I can see shortages on certain supplies - we are already seeing shortages of masks, but what about things like surgical gloves?  bleach?  hand sanitizer?  Kleenex?  Basic flu medicine - Tylenol, nasal decongestants, thermometers, etc?

If things got really bad, realistically I'd imagine stores having limited employees and running reduced hours - maybe grocery stores only open 3 or 4 days a week, things like that.  It would be good to have food staples on hand - I'm thinking lots of canned soups and the like.  And whiskey.

I can imagine a lot of sheltering in place - people staying home, avoiding crowds.  That would kill the airlines, sporting events, amusement parks, etc.  And when people do go out, doing their best to avoid contact, what ever that means.  some businesses could be completely unaffected - if all you do is sit in an office and pound a keyboard, might as well telecommute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget for a moment about the death rate - what does the US look like if, say, 1% of the population is sick at any given moment? (for reference, in Wuhan roughly 0.27% of the population is sick).  Things don't grind to a halt - 99% of the population is still ok.  Community still goes on.  Still, the hysteria will be unavoidable which means there will be a run on certain goods, as we have already seen.

Forget for a moment about the death rate - what does the country look like if, say, 1% of the population is sick at any given moment? (for reference, Wuhan currently is at 0.27% of the population is sick).  Things don't grind to a halt - 99% of the population is still ok.  Community still goes on.  Still, the hysteria will be unavoidable which means there will be a run on certain goods, as we have already seen.  It would be good to have a head start on that type of stuff.
You can say that again. 😉

Ok, I 100% see your point. The act was tasteless.....buuuuuuuuttt, can we just pause for a moment and wonder how stupid everyone else is running for their lives on that train? Does anyone really think that a scientific agency would transport the most recent medical super virus, that has resulted in untold deaths overseas, quarantined whole cruise ships full of passengers, has the world's media waiting for the next black plague, in a tupperware container on a NYC subway train, by two dopes wearing full hazmat suits? 

Really??? Like anyone didn't think that this wasn't the slightest bit of a prank? Have we really reached that point of hysteria that people can't even deduct that much? 

Last edited by a moderator:
The last page of this thread is a bit disconcerting.  You guys have me scared enough where I may just go into my 401k after work today and swap everything to money market.

A friend of mine just took his family to Tokyo for a vacation/conference. Posting pics all over the city. I'm just going to assume he's going to come back with it. Luckily he lives in FL and I'm in SC so I've probably got a good week or two before it spreads up to me :thumbup:
Brother just landed in Thailand......I'm assuming he's going to bring it back 

The last page of this thread is a bit disconcerting.  You guys have me scared enough where I may just go into my 401k after work today and swap everything to money market.
I have sell orders for about 75% of the equities I hold that will process end of day. This is a good year of my risk tolerance. 

Hunt for Singapore's patient zero

As lion dancers snaked between conference room tables laden with plastic bottles, pens, notebooks and laptops, some staff from British gas analytics firm Servomex snapped photos of the performance meant to bring good luck and fortune.

But the January sales meeting in a luxury Singapore hotel was far from auspicious.

Someone seated in the room, or in the vicinity of the hotel that is renowned for its central location and a racy nightclub in the basement, was about to take coronavirus global.

Three weeks later, global health authorities are still scrambling to work out who carried the disease into the mundane meeting of a firm selling gas meters, which then spread to five countries from South Korea to Spain, infecting over a dozen people.

Experts say finding this so-called “patient zero” is critical for tracing all those potentially exposed to infection and containing the outbreak, but as time passes, the harder it becomes.

“We do feel uncomfortable obviously when we diagnose a patient with the illness and we can’t work out where it came from...the containment activities are less effective,” said Dale Fisher, chair of the Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network coordinated by the World Health Organisation.

How do we prepare for it?  I can't imagine infrastructure breaking down - IMO the lights will stay on, the water will still flow.  Realistically, I can see shortages on certain supplies - we are already seeing shortages of masks, but what about things like surgical gloves?  bleach?  hand sanitizer?  Kleenex?  Basic flu medicine - Tylenol, nasal decongestants, thermometers, etc?

If things got really bad, realistically I'd imagine stores having limited employees and running reduced hours - maybe grocery stores only open 3 or 4 days a week, things like that.  It would be good to have food staples on hand - I'm thinking lots of canned soups and the like.  And whiskey.

I can imagine a lot of sheltering in place - people staying home, avoiding crowds.  That would kill the airlines, sporting events, amusement parks, etc.  And when people do go out, doing their best to avoid contact, what ever that means.  some businesses could be completely unaffected - if all you do is sit in an office and pound a keyboard, might as well telecommute.
Unless it's a mandated self-quarantine with a 24hr curfew in place, like what tens of millions of Chinese are living under right now. 

Forgive me if I don't jump at the chance to be dependent on the government to efficiently delivery my food and water :lol:  

See if you can find a mask company based in south america somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread