Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

18 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

What are the plans for small businesses who are open to the public who have an employee test positive?  Obviously the rest of the employees are at risk.  However, I assume they will try to remain open and not shut down and have all employees self-quarantine.  Will it just be having sick people stay home and hope for the best with the remaining employees?

Who knows? There is no plan that works for everyone right? 

I assume there will be some help from State/Feds/big business in the region/charity.

Seattle for instance has a local legend restaurant dude - Tom Douglass. Owns a bunch of spots around town. He shut them all down a couple days ago. Can't afford to keep them running, doesn't want to have people coming in, etc.

Amazon and State are putting funds together to help for this type of thing but it's still going to be bad.

25 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Does your wife sub? My bro subs. It's not clear to me if subs will be compensated during the shutdown as well. He does work every week for 3 days because LA is big and lots of schools to cover.

But what about the doms?

• Laughing 1

BREAKING: Italy reports 250 new deaths and 2,547 new cases, raising total to 1,266 dead and 17,660 cases

good news here is that new cases appears to be down for day

12 hours ago, NotSmart said:

It depends on whether you think things are more likely than not to get worse from where we are now, and for the stock market to reflect that.

I 100% do expect that.

As such, I'd try to preserve as much of a 401k as possible right now from further losses.

Fair. But you should be investing your new 401k funds into a 90/10 stock to bond mix now with stock prices depressed and not the other way around. Target 30 years out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shader said:

BREAKING: Italy reports 250 new deaths and 2,547 new cases, raising total to 1,266 dead and 17,660 cases

It's a very, very thin silver lining

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cashman88 said:

I'm all in for social distancing, cancelling events, stopping the spread, etc.  But I'm getting pretty sick of being inundated with every single company's "response to Covid 19" email - I've heard from my bank, my insurance company, my lawyer, my doctor's office, PetSmart, CVS, Allen Edmonds, REI.  What do I care what Allen Edmond's response to the virus is?

Has Ashley Madison sent out a statement yet?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

Museums around the country are starting to close. Know of ones in Boston, Indianpolis, and San Jose. Can't imagine many other cities are far behind

2 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Has Ashley Madison sent out a statement yet?

Wasn't that all just horny men and bots?

24 minutes ago, Endowed said:

Not surprising. The admin doesnt want to test.

The only smart strategy to take.  

What is accomplished by testing right now?

Congrats! You have COVID.  OK, go home and take care of yourself.  Oh, and here is a bill for $2400 that your insurance may or may not help with.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

I have thought about this before and again in the recent past but I'm pretty ignorant on how to go about purchasing a gun. If I decided that I want/need a gun for protection, do I just walk into a store that sells them, pick one out, slap down some cash and come back and pick it up after whatever waiting period/background check is completed?

My intent is not to get into any sort of political gun control debate, I am just genuinely asking a stupid question. I'm in the middle when it comes to gun control, don't have strong opinions either way but I have a feeling that this question will spin out of control if left unchecked. Just give me the facts, Jack. Thanks. 

You have the process correct in FL for in person purchases unless you have a Concealed Permit in which case you can take it home the same day after a quick background check.  If you buy online, the store you buy from has to ship it to a local gun dealer who will perform the background check and transfer to you for a fee. Deals are better online even with the fee but I try to buy locally as much as possible to help keep the local guys going.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

I have thought about this before and again in the recent past but I'm pretty ignorant on how to go about purchasing a gun. If I decided that I want/need a gun for protection, do I just walk into a store that sells them, pick one out, slap down some cash and come back and pick it up after whatever waiting period/background check is completed?

My intent is not to get into any sort of political gun control debate, I am just genuinely asking a stupid question. I'm in the middle when it comes to gun control, don't have strong opinions either way but I have a feeling that this question will spin out of control if left unchecked. Just give me the facts, Jack. Thanks. 

In Pa the background check is while you wait for long guns

18 minutes ago, msommer said:

It's a very, very thin silver lining

I guess that depends on future days.  If this is the start of exponential growth breaking, it's a huge day for Italy.  If it's a statistical aberration, carry on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, matuski said:

The only smart strategy to take.  

Congrats! You have COVID.  OK, go home and take care of yourself.  Oh, and here is a bill for $2400 that your insurance may or may not help with.

It’s the difference between fighting something in the dark or fighting when you can see.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

You have the process correct in FL for in person purchases unless you have a Concealed Permit in which case you can take it home the same day after a quick background check.  If you buy online, the store you buy from has to ship it to a local gun dealer who will perform the background check and transfer to you for a fee. Deals are better online even with the fee but I try to buy locally as much as possible to help keep the local guys going.

Yep.  I also STRONGLY encourage taking a class on gun safety if you purchase a gun.  Be a responsible gun owner.

When I bought my shotgun in WI, I walked out with the gun and shells that day.  I filled out a form, they took it in the back, and everything must have checked out.

Picked up one with a good spread :BillBurr:

25 minutes ago, bcnfinance said:

Fair. But you should be investing your new 401k funds into a 90/10 stock to bond mix now with stock prices depressed and not the other way around. Target 30 years out. 

Whoever rolled their funds into Charmin stock is making a bundle

Guys, you can't kill a virus with a gun. (I know..) 

All I'm picturing is Frank Reynolds walking into Paddy's with his pistol drawn : "WHERE'S THE GD FIRE?!!" 

• Like 1

Limbaugh says coronavirus no worse than the common cold.  Awesome coming from a lifelong cigar smoker who has lung cancer..

• Thinking 1

OXYGEN SATURATION METER

this just occurred to me ... i have one that cups my index finger, giving me my heart bpm along with my blood oxygen level. 

my heart bpm is normally 65ish, and my saturation level is usually 97+

question to those health workers out there: seeing as how this covid-19 causes respiratory fibrosis/distress, isn't having an oxygen meter handy as good as any tool for one to evaluate themselves? surely an infected person would register dangerously low, no?  while a pathogen free person would stay hovering in that 96-99 area, correct?

of course, a fever and hacking cough would also be tells to take it seriously ... but i think the high oxygen level is a good indicator of being ok - 

Alert in my county on scammers taking advantage of the situation. Big surprise..

"Coronavirus Scam: We had our first scam where victim received a phone call saying loved one had Covid-19 and was in accident on way to hospital. The loved one was arrested for accident and needed $13k bail. Suspect said they would send friend to pick up money. Be aware!"

1 minute ago, Big League Chew said:

so mexico is considering tightening measures on the border to keep Americans out. 

Are they going to finish building the big beautiful wall, or at least pay for it? 

• Thinking 1

I've turned the TV off and left this thread for a couple of hours. I feel a bit better and need to zone this all out more. 

How can we tune out without being nervous that we might miss something important locally, especially here in NYC?

• Laughing 1

10 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Yep.  I also STRONGLY encourage taking a class on gun safety if you purchase a gun.  Be a responsible gun owner.

When I bought my shotgun in WI, I walked out with the gun and shells that day.  I filled out a form, they took it in the back, and everything must have checked out.

Picked up one with a good spread :BillBurr:

Yep. Shotgun for home protection. 12ga with shorter barrel if you can find one. For a handgun, you have a waiting period. So if you walk into a gun store, you can pick out your gun, put it on hold or what not until the several day long waiting period is over. I have a carry permit, where I can walk into any gun store, and walk out with any weapon on the spot. 

2 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

rumor circulating trump will put in place a 30 day public restriction

What’s that mean

3 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Alert in my county on scammers taking advantage of the situation. Big surprise..

"Coronavirus Scam: We had our first scam where victim received a phone call saying loved one had Covid-19 and was in accident on way to hospital. The loved one was arrested for accident and needed $13k bail. Suspect said they would send friend to pick up money. Be aware!"

any numb nutz who would fall for that deserves to be extricated from their coin .. 

yeahyeah i know "but old people get victimized!!"

simply call the person who supposedly was in the accident to confirm. 

common sense. 

Michigan update I recieved via email from a local new station:

As of 12 p.m. on Friday, March 15, the state has had 135 people approved for tested, 120 who have tested negative, 26 with test results pending, 172 being monitored and 554 total being monitored.

I need a math and grammar check please... 

28 minutes ago, matuski said:

The confirmed case in quarantine is less likely to infect others than if running around oblivious. That is part of the delay effort, to reduce the risk of the health care system being stressed or overburdened. 

2 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

any numb nutz who would fall for that deserves to be extricated from their coin .. 

yeahyeah i know "but old people get victimized!!"

simply call the person who supposedly was in the accident to confirm. 

common sense. 

Millions of dollars go to scammers. Not everyone has the common sense to check first, unfortunately. I once had my "cousin" call me. His name came up on my phone. Turns out he was in the hospital needing money for surgery. Yeah, ok, click. 

5 minutes ago, Keerock said:

Michigan update I recieved via email from a local new station:

As of 12 p.m. on Friday, March 15, the state has had 135 people approved for tested, 120 who have tested negative, 26 with test results pending, 172 being monitored and 554 total being monitored.

I need a math and grammar check please... 

And a date check too...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ConstruxBoy said:

There are no bad billionaires in a fox hole. 

Oh I can think of one 

• Laughing 3

27 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

It’s the difference between fighting something in the dark or fighting when you can see.

What does this mean?

You fight the symptoms, which you can see.

There is no cure.  There is no CV tamiflu.

A test achieves zilch.

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

He didn’t go there - he wasn’t ghoulish, just woefully uninformed. Or faking it for ratings.

The previous day, former Saints QB and armchair virologist Bobby Hebert was keeping Garic in check. When you make Hebert sound like Sanjay Gupta, you’ve got problems.

@SaintsInDome2006 @Henry Ford @saintfool @Nathan R. Jessep @tipsy mcstagger

@Doug B

La Public schools closed until April 13

https://twitter.com/stevewafb/status/1238525999354204160?s=21

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, msommer said:

The confirmed case in quarantine is less likely to infect others than if running around oblivious. That is part of the delay effort, to reduce the risk of the health care system being stressed or overburdened. 

You don't need to test people to accomplish this... as we are seeing.

52 minutes ago, shader said:

That death rate is downright scary.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, matuski said:

What does this mean?

You fight the symptoms, which you can see.

There is no cure.  There is no CV tamiflu.

A test achieves zilch.

People that test positive will take care not to infect others.  People that test negative will be able to resume more regular activities.  Right now we're acting as if everyone is potentially positive.

• Like 4

What's the verdict on continuing to go the gym right now? Irresponsible? Selfish if you got a family? Necessary to maintain peace of mind and keep up good health in case virus contracted?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

I think I'm over it. Can we just be done with this crap now? 😐

Don't worry. You may be reassured that all is under control soon

Edited by msommer
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, jamny said:

I've turned the TV off and left this thread for a couple of hours. I feel a bit better and need to zone this all out more. 

How can we tune out without being nervous that we might miss something important locally, especially here in NYC?

Zombie horde roaming down 5th seems confused that the Bryant Park Library has closed. You're safe for now, gb

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, menobrown said:

What's the verdict on continuing to go the gym right now? Irresponsible? Selfish if you got a family? Necessary to maintain peace of mind and keep up good health in case virus contracted?

Seems pretty irresponsible IMO. I'd try to find a workout routine you can do at home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Big League Chew said:

if you havnt been to the store id say go now before 3pm est

Everywhere?

1 hour ago, The General said:

I believe it makes it easier to get federal funds to states. 

Also means he has greater latitude in mobilizing National Guard and reserve units, including medical and transportation units.

My office finally had a meeting...WFH on the table for those of us at risk, including me.

I'll see what the weekend looks like and go from there. I'm starting a new project that will involve a lot of face time with the boss's right hand man...would prefer to work at the office but am very happy to not if at all possible.

Just happy they finally did something.

The inlaws have a beach house near OC, MD. Might go there if things go extra south.

• Like 2