Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

8YO kid at my GF’s daughter’s school has tested positive.  All four cases in Ventura County have been tied/traced to recent travel, apparently.

8 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I think I’ve washed my hands approximately 374,983 times in the last week.  

Apparently you’re supposed to wash your hands long enough to be able to sing the “Happy Birthday” song to yourself twice.

My quality hand washing percentage is low. :bag:

• Laughing 1

25 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I remember how this outbreak is really no big deal compared to hippos.  

I’m old enough to have completely forgotten the hippo shtick was even in this thread. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Just now, Juxtatarot said:

Apparently you’re supposed to wash your hands long enough to be able to sing the “Happy Birthday” song to yourself twice.

My quality hand washing percentage is low. :bag:

I'm bad at hand washing too....my new rule right now is "anytime I change locations" as much as I can. So if i'm at my house and go get pizza, I'll wash my hands in their restroom (home to pizza). Then when I get home, I'll do it again. At least for now 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Apologies if this has been posted and I missed it (hard to keep up with this thread) - is there a good source or link to find out details about the deaths in the U.S.?  I’m very concerned about my parents - I’ve told them to stay indoors and I can bring them what they need but they can tend to be stubborn.

If they arent listening to current info, you will probably have to edit some old Donahue footage. They will listen to that guy. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Apologies if this has been posted and I missed it (hard to keep up with this thread) - is there a good source or link to find out details about the deaths in the U.S.?  I’m very concerned about my parents - I’ve told them to stay indoors and I can bring them what they need but they can tend to be stubborn.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Total cases: 1,629

Total deaths: 41

Jurisdictions reporting cases: 47 (46 states and District of Columbia)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, culdeus said:

Having maybe lived this.  Mucinex. Get some. 

Mucinex huh? That’s surprising. How does that help with this? 

10 minutes ago, JShare87 said:

If you go visit them, make sure you wash your hands.

I’ve already decided I will only leave things on the porch or garage.  Too big a risk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Take_The_Shot said:

The dots with her however, are not terrible. Which is clearly how it works with the crazy ones unfortunately.

Not worth it.  Trust me...

5 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

If they arent listening to current info, you will probably have to edit some old Donahue footage. They will listen to that guy. 

I truly am not trying to make this political in any way but they are Rush listeners - he has them convinced this is some liberal scheme to get Trump out of office.  And that’s the last I will say about it in this thread.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Capella said:

The folks who are bad or end up dying do so from pneumonia- Mucinex helps keep the lungs free of mucus so it’s less likely you develop pneumonia.

ETA - or helps with the symptoms if you do get it.

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Thanks 2

@OldHossRadbourn: Day two. I have killed the dairy cow for steaks. But now the children want milk.

• Laughing 11
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Capella said:

Mucinex's brand is basically built around guaifenesin... an expectorant.

With COVID being a dry cough and no sputum production I don't think that's needed? 

They did expand adding products with other ingredients like Dextromethorphan HBr, (cough suppressant made popular by Robitussin DM)... but taking a product with Guaifenesin + Dextro just for the dextro is just as dumb as people who take Tylenol PM to go to sleep (unnecessary Acetaminophen). 

Edited by [icon]

1 minute ago, [icon] said:

Mucinex's brand is basically built around guaifenesin... an expectorant.

Ironically there is zero need for an expectorant with COVID. 

They did expand adding products with other ingredients like Dextromethorphan HBr, (cough suppressant made popular by Robitussin DM)... but taking a product with Guaifenesin + Dextro just for the dextro is just as dumb as people who take Tylenol PM to go to sleep (unnecessary Acetaminophen). 

There ain't nothing coming out when I cough on this stuff.  It for sure helps lung pressure.  Quickly too. 

1 minute ago, culdeus said:

There ain't nothing coming out when I cough on this stuff.  It for sure helps lung pressure.  Quickly too. 

Interesting. What are the active ingredients of what you're taking? I wasn't aware guaifenesin acted in that capacity (bronchial dialator?) 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

This.

If you're gonna leave bananas out, at least separate them from the stem and each other.

Good lord, we're social distancing bananas now?

Edited by cosjobs
  • Like 4
  • Laughing 9

24 minutes ago, Capella said:

I’m old enough to have completely forgotten the hippo shtick was even in this thread. 

I miss the hippos 

• Like 1

Just now, cosjobs said:

Good lord, we're social distancing bananas now?

🍌                                                      🍌                                                        :sadbanana:

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 13
  • Thinking 1

My brother and sister in law both work at the hospital (he's a radiology tech, she's an RN) - he tells me the medical community in general feel like it's already been here and has infected millions since Dec. Tons of people who thought they had the flu may very well have had this. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I miss the hippos 

It was a simpler time

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Capella said:

It has no impact on the virus, but it does help manage its symptoms. Most any cold/flu type meds will make you feel better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jwb said:

My brother and sister in law both work at the hospital (he's a radiology tech, she's an RN) - he tells me the medical community in general feel like it's already been here and has infected millions since Dec. Tons of people who thought they had the flu may very well have had this. 

You don't say. 

5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I miss the hippos 

I miss hippies

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

What I finally realized:

This is like planning for Memphis in May for you.

When is the friends and family dinner?

Who’d you book for the acoustic act? 

It wouldn't be Memphis in May if you weren't here to follow me around Like a puppy dog (although you're doing a pretty good job of it in this thread) :lol: 

When is it time for the next stage where you get belligerently drunk, annoy half the team, then cap it off by a stumbling over your own feet, splitting your face open? ;) 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, jwb said:

That helps explain WA.

I read that the CHinese Ambassador was claiming China got it from US.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Interesting. What are the active ingredients of what you're taking? I wasn't aware guaifenesin acted in that capacity (bronchial dialator?) 

600mg per tab of guasarafanin (sp?). No other actives

Edited by culdeus

2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

It wouldn't be Memphis in May if you weren't here to follow me around Like a puppy dog (although you're doing a pretty good job of it in this thread) :lol: 

When is it time for the next stage where you get belligerently drunk, annoy half the team, then cap it off by a stumbling over your own feet, splitting your face open? ;) 

stays in here down? Memphis is no Vegas when it comes to discretion.

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, jwb said:

I'd love to believe this, if for no other reason than what it would mean for the death rate. But sounds like hope rather than anything based on facts.

59 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I remember how this outbreak is really no big deal compared to hippos.  

Still true IMO.  Evil water cow-pigs.

Posted (edited)
Just now, cosjobs said:

Zoinks?

He wanted to know what was in it. It didn't have any extra active like Tylenol or something.  

Also realized when I pulled the box out my wife's rx ended up on the counter and got a photo of it too.  

Edited by culdeus

3 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Clearly not this May!

2022 maybe?

Just now, culdeus said:

He wanted to know what was in it. It didn't have any extra active like Tylenol or something

I was just quoting your link

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jwb said:

I keep thinking what I had in January sounds like this.

1 minute ago, DallasDMac said:

I'd love to believe this, if for no other reason than what it would mean for the death rate. But sounds like hope rather than anything based on facts.

Yes, millions infected doesn’t seem likely to me

Just now, shader said:

I mean Italy crossing the 10k confirmed line had jammed hospitals.  1M since December would have been sheer pandemic

1 minute ago, shader said:

maybe it has been here and mutated from innocuous to deadly

• Thinking 2

35 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I’ve already decided I will only leave things on the porch or garage.  Too big a risk.

Good idea. BTW, I was joking based on your previous hand washing post. Hope you and your family stay safe, GB.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Capella said:

I would just like to say I am really glad matsuki is in charge of literally nothing when it comes to this virus. 

He’s always right. Except never. Just ask him. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

10 hours ago, Murph said:

If people don't get it by now they never will. Wife was supposed to go to Vegas next month with a friend who is a known germophobe. Said friend can't believe everything is shutting down and thinks it's hysteria. This person brings their own silverware to restaurants and refuses to stay at AirBnBs. Some people are just insane.

I am the exact opposite. Not a germaphobe at all. But I'm not risking much right now and asking my parents to minimize all risks possible. That means a lot of time with my kids, in and around my house. I would be willing to go to an outdoor area and visit with another family, but but inside their house.  That's where I am right now.

I'm not sure exactly what to do about going out to eat or ordering takeout. I'll let my wife guide me on that front.

• Thanks 1

For those who want to know about the general mathematics behind exponential growth and logistics curves that describe the spread of something like a viral outbreak, here is an excellent video on the topic.  Keep in mind it was recorded on March 6th so the data he uses is behind current day, but the principles are what make this worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2oBWWEggc-_ZKIQ9PMcSTwDJAe2c8loN7oVEGqFAbRLjJax9iAAWo2B9s

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, The Z Machine said:

I am the exact opposite. Not a germaphobe at all. But I'm not risking much right now and asking my parents to minimize all risks possible. That means a lot of time with my kids, in and around my house. I would be willing to go to an outdoor area and visit with another family, but but inside their house.  That's where I am right now.

I'm not sure exactly what to do about going out to eat or ordering takeout. I'll let my wife guide me on that front.

You and I are similar. I usually subscribe to the George Carlin theory of giving your immune system target practice. But this thing is the real deal. Even with shutdowns starting I still don't think we're taking this seriously enough as a nation. I'm not so worried for my own personal health given my age but the population level effect is going to be a shock to the system.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jwb said:

Would that be a good thing?  Meaning, maybe the death rate isn’t nearly as bad as they are thinking?  Obviously not ideal if so many people have it but that would make me think we are just hearing the absolute worst cases and it’s not as bad as feared.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JShare87 said:

Good idea. BTW, I was joking based on your previous hand washing post. Hope you and your family stay safe, GB.

I totally didn’t get it but thanks GB and same to you and family.  Sounds like Florida cases are starting to creep up.  

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, matuski said:

I believe we are north of 100k tests done right?

How were they able to isolate it?

https://innovationorigins.com/dutch-researchers-find-corona-virus-antibody/

Possible antibody found, which may lead to medicines. 

From the article: 

“We have been too lax and were ill-prepared. For example, there were too few tests and too few restrictions from the outset, even though we saw what happened in China and then Italy.”

They are hoping to begin testing soon and mass production in about 4 months. In order to release this, they will need at least two things - tests that show the results of the medicine, and a baseline to compare them with. Part of the reason it's so necessary to test now is that it helps to get that baseline.  

It's also really important to understand the spread and morbidly rate.  I know you think that horse is out of the barn, but we can estimate it within good confidence levels based on the numbers of reported cases, hospitalizations, and fatalities, and compare it with other populations.  That data may help with "COVID-20" or some later iteration of these bugs, and the opportunity to collect it is not something we should squander. 

I think you're right about some of your skepticism around testing but that doesn't mean we don't urgently need it. 

Edited by bostonfred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1