What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

Time for a national lock down before things get out of hand. Everything should be closed, everyone stays home except necessary personnel. Unless you’re going to a necessary job, grocery store or hospital, you are mandated to stay home. It’s gonna come to that in a week, do it now ahead of the curve.
Been thinking about that too.  Not that I plan on going anywhere but I will have a full tank of gas around midweek next week.   One way to help enforce a national shutdown would be to close all gas stations to non-essential vehicles, not even sure how you would enforce that, but It had crossed my mind..   

Our schools are canceled in Alabama.  I mean if Alabama can get it right and stay home, it really makes me wonder what it's going to take for everyone else.  We need to just shut it down 2-3 weeks and try and get past this. 

My wife and I went to Mexico with some friends a couple summers ago.  I'm still a member of the FB group that discusses that resort.  There are people getting on planes today heading to that resort in Mexico despite all this.  Literally some people taking photos inside their planes showing under 50 people on them, bragging they have more room, less of a wait when they get to the bar down there, etc.  I realize Mexico has fewer cases, but you really want to fly right now?  Then how are they planning on getting home?  Just seems asinine to me.

I can see the logic of sending kids to school.  The extra risk to them is nominal.  I just don't know how you deal with teachers in high risk groups.  

What a problem with no good solution. 
That is a big problem here.  I can think of about 6-10 teachers just at the middle school pushing that 60 year old range.  At least 2 set to retire after this school year.  Not to mention office workers, bus drivers, crossing guards, and lunch ladies.  

Perfect time to unleash BIG. Basic Income Guarantee.  Print some 10 trillion $ coins, Treasury Dept prints them off, sends to the Federal Reserve and says it's all paid for. Yes 10T coins and lots of them.
Give us the full Yang

I actually think there will be $$ distrusted if there is a massive shutdown 

NotSmart said:
I was more wondering if someone had already had the virus and recovered from it and was symptom free now, would the test show that, and would the patient be told that info?
It could be like when I was screened for Hep C when getting a new biologic prescription. The testing showed I had the antibodies produced when I had been exposed to Hep C in the past, but my immune system fought it off without me getting the disease. So I tested positive even though I did not have, nor ever actually had the disease. Just exposure to it, which my immune system successfully fought off. 

I have no idea if the Corona tests work similarly.

ETA Fun story, I had flown to Pac NW on a Friday for a bit of a vacation. I got a voicemail from the Doc's office and the nurse said I tested positive for Hep C. That's it. So I spent the first three days of my vacation thinking I had Hep C and might die. Finally on Monday I got through to my Doc and she said what I related above. I was in no danger, merely had exposure that I defeated. The next day I drove over to see @-fish-, who was not home, but left a house key duct-taped to his garage door. Good times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Family of 5 in NJ - not really an alarmist but taking the cautious approach....cancelled all of our stuff....making kids stay home - few weeks of supplies and planning on a home bunker for a a few weeks just in case....luckily we both can work from home and schools are via internet next few weeks

shocked to see very few in my area following suit - they are treating this like a snow day....kids are out playing together closely...adults going out to eat, going to parties and bars ...my kids are getting heat from their friends saying we were being ridiculous....our own friends and parents have said the same.....

Im staying the course and if it was an overreaction so be it...but I am literally shocked at the carefree attitude in upper middle class area.  

The issue at grocery stores has been keeping them clean, the shelves stocked, and the crowds orderly. Not food supply. Is there evidence this will change? 
Stores are cutting hours.   I guess 24 hour stores like walmart will be closed 11pm-6am for cleaning and stocking. 
There's what ghostguy said ... and additionally, I have concerns that down the road, a lot of stores will only be open every other day, or six hours a day, or something like that. No links or specific information, just a personal suspicion.

Family of 5 in NJ - not really an alarmist but taking the cautious approach....cancelled all of our stuff....making kids stay home - few weeks of supplies and planning on a home bunker for a a few weeks just in case....luckily we both can work from home and schools are via internet next few weeks

shocked to see very few in my area following suit - they are treating this like a snow day....kids are out playing together closely...adults going out to eat, going to parties and bars ...my kids are getting heat from their friends saying we were being ridiculous....our own friends and parents have said the same.....

Im staying the course and if it was an overreaction so be it...but I am literally shocked at the carefree attitude in upper middle class area.  
That’s why we need a national lock down now. People in this country will not do it on their own, too selfish. Force people to stay home, get the military involved to patrol the streets and impose heavy fines for those not complying. If you don’t think it’s gonna come to this soon, I think you’ve got your head in the sand. 

NotSmart said:
I was more wondering if someone had already had the virus and recovered from it and was symptom free now, would the test show that, and would the patient be told that info?
There will be a blood test which can detect  if you have the antibodies. 

Went out this morning to get supplies for our elderly family members that aren’t taking this seriously. Got some extra rice, beans, marinara, pasta, NyQuil, cough drops, mucinex, etc. 

Shelf stable stuff is definitely running low and the medicine area was almost wiped out. 

Very sorry to hear.

And this is also why EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP MEETING WITH OTHER PEOPLE.

No dinners or get togethers. No gym. Stop sending your kids to school even if they haven't closed.

Not to pile on you, but it's this same story that keeps coming up and will continue with increasing frequency until we just stay home. No exceptions. Full stop.

It sucks but just deal with the social isolation for a few weeks and let's work together to get this under control. This thing is everywhere now. The only interaction you can control is your own. 

We are seeing what happens if you don't elsewhere and just repeating the same mistakes. It's so frustrating.
Are those of you that live alone doing this?  I’ve been really good about isolating so far, no big groups, etc.  But I’m a divorced dad and my kids will be spending the next week at my ex-wife’s house.  Do you all think it’s reckless for me to meet up for one-on-one meetings with either dates or friends?  I recognize there’s some risk but it seems pretty small.

That’s why we need a national lock down now. People in this country will not do it on their own, too selfish. Force people to stay home, get the military involved to patrol the streets and impose heavy fines for those not complying. If you don’t think it’s gonna come to this soon, I think you’ve got your head in the sand. 
So how would people get food? How would people be able to pay bills? How would people get medicine? How would small companies stay in business?

So it’s getting decidedly uncomfortable in my house. Wife and I have very different views on the approach to this. I’m all about social distancing and avoiding public settings for a couple weeks while we see where this is going. She feels we should continue as normal as long as we wash our hands. She goes to the gym, shopping and restaurants. I have asthma, she doesn’t. She doesn’t consider asthma an underlying medical condition.  I’m going to social distance starting now but she has no plans to...and is pissed off due to my overreacting to the situation. 

On a positive note my neighbor who is a firefighter brought us two N95 masks. Think I’ll start wearing it around my wife. 😷

Work at a supermarket in Rhode Island. Last 3 days were insane. Loads already being limited or cancelled outright to let our warehouse catch up. This is my concern. We're not 4 days into this and the supply chain is already being affected. Was told by a driver there's is plenty of product in the warehouse right now but what happens when deliveries to the warehouse get affected?

NotSmart said:
No one on earth had immunity to this - a significant percentage of the world's population will get it.
I disagree. I think its likely their were numerous iterations/mutations from the Corona virus to the COVID 19. I would not be the least bit surprised if some of those mutations provided people with some immunity. It could take a long time to research and find and link these people, but if we can/do, a vaccine would probably follow in a relatively short time.

You can support a family owned farm. Choice of scents too.

Goatmilkstuff.com/hand

Ps. Their lotion sticks are the bomb and last forever. 0 water. Soaps last a very long time too. I found them when I was diagnosed with cancer. 
12 bucks for a 1 ounce bottle? At that price i can buy a bottle of everclear and make my own while i get drunk. 

Ohio Govenor said this morning on CNN be prepared for the schools to be closed for the year.
I anticipate that. Schools are adapting with doing lessons from home. Why bother bringing everyone back when at that time there is a month or so left? It's not going to be over by June.

Time for a national lock down before things get out of hand. Everything should be closed, everyone stays home except necessary personnel. Unless you’re going to a necessary job, grocery store or hospital, you are mandated to stay home. It’s gonna come to that in a week, do it now ahead of the curve.
Hoping it doesn't come to that, but if it does, can I still go for a run outside by myself? That wouldn't hurt anybody.

My wife and I went to Mexico with some friends a couple summers ago.  I'm still a member of the FB group that discusses that resort.  There are people getting on planes today heading to that resort in Mexico despite all this.  Literally some people taking photos inside their planes showing under 50 people on them, bragging they have more room, less of a wait when they get to the bar down there, etc.  I realize Mexico has fewer cases, but you really want to fly right now?  Then how are they planning on getting home?  Just seems asinine to me.
I'm on a cruise group that was the same way.  Including plenty of people trolling that they got COVID 19 but keep going into work.

Went out this morning to get supplies for our elderly family members that aren’t taking this seriously. Got some extra rice, beans, marinara, pasta, NyQuil, cough drops, mucinex, etc. 

Shelf stable stuff is definitely running low and the medicine area was almost wiped out. 
We just coordinated with our town council on again and have a senior up the road assigned to us. We will be ringing her to check on and picking up any supplies she may need. 

considering a shotgun.  I’m pretty sure I’ve never touched a firearm.
I have had a 20 gauge my grandfather got me when I was younger that I never bought shells for.  I ended up grabbing a box of birdshot at Walmart this morning.  I wasn't sure which shells to buy and did a little online research.  Turns out this is quite a big debate amongst gun nerds.  

Our schools are canceled in Alabama.  I mean if Alabama can get it right and stay home, it really makes me wonder what it's going to take for everyone else.  We need to just shut it down 2-3 weeks and try and get past this. 

might be a lot safer in that warm climate, not that I would risk it.

12 bucks for a 1 ounce bottle? At that price i can buy a bottle of everclear and make my own while i get drunk. 
It's a family owned business since 2005. Not price gougers. I like supporting what they stand for as hard workers. 8 kids and the parents have morals and standards of working hard. Check out the about us. They have a fb page too.

Disturbing story from a good friend who lives in Westchester.  His wife became ill on Thursday - fever, sore throat, cough.  He rushed home from work, picked up kids, they are all quarantined at home now.

Scary part - this was his text message about what his experience was with hospitals/govt:

”we called several clinics and hospitals as well as the NY State corona hotline.  The message was the same: we don’t have many test kits.  And those are prioritized for anyone who traveled abroad or who has come in to contact with a known case.  So they told us to just huddle in place and assume that it is coronavirus.”

So many things wrong with the above.  His wife is a nurse, and could easily have been exposed.  How can we trust the official statistics if nobody is being tested?

Honestly, I've been one of the more cautious people following this for a couple of months, and I'm heading to the beach this afternoon and planning to eat at a restaurant while there. 

So how would people get food? How would people be able to pay bills? How would people get medicine? How would small companies stay in business?
People allowed out for emergencies only, food, prescriptions. Limited number in store at a time. Small business will be closed unless necessary. It will be painful. It will be more painful if the curve gets larger than we can control. 

Many of us have watched this situation develop very slowly since December or so.  We knew this virus was coming to the US, we knew that the real threat was overloading the health care system, and we knew that schools would be closed and that people would be working from home.  For a large number of people in this thread, the events of the past few days are more or less exactly what we thought would happen.  

But we're way in the minority.  Most people were still in the "it's just the flu" camp as recently as a week ago.  Heck, I personally know lots of very highly educated people who on Tuesday thought it was crazy to talk about our students not returning from spring break.  In the course of about 48 hours, those people went from "well of course we'll have classes as scheduled on Monday" to "all classes online and we're locking you out of your office."  There are a ton of people right now who suddenly got their heads jerked out of the sand and haven't been able to fully process this yet.

Some of them are freaking out and over-reacting.  Those are the people you see loading up on bottled water.  But most of them are still living in a little fantasy world where life is mostly normal and if anything it's good to go on with your daily routines.  It's going to take a little while for things to sink in.  

Very sorry to hear.

And this is also why EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP MEETING WITH OTHER PEOPLE.

No dinners or get togethers. No gym. Stop sending your kids to school even if they haven't closed.

Not to pile on you, but it's this same story that keeps coming up and will continue with increasing frequency until we just stay home. No exceptions. Full stop.

It sucks but just deal with the social isolation for a few weeks and let's work together to get this under control. This thing is everywhere now. The only interaction you can control is your own. 

We are seeing what happens if you don't elsewhere and just repeating the same mistakes. It's so frustrating.
Perhaps you would like to call my father. It's less deadly to say no to Hector Salamanca. 

People allowed out for emergencies only, food, prescriptions. Limited number in store at a time. Small business will be closed unless necessary. It will be painful. It will be more painful if the curve gets jogger than we can control. 
Correct, just look to France and Italy for what we can expect here

Hoping it doesn't come to that, but if it does, can I still go for a run outside by myself? That wouldn't hurt anybody.
Going out for a run, walk or ride seems like a great way to stay active and ward off cabin fever.  It's literally impossible to catch a virus while running alone unless you stop to pick up trash that you come across, which I assume you're not doing.

considering a shotgun.  I’m pretty sure I’ve never touched a firearm.
I've touched two firearms before.  A handgun that my grandfather had an an AR (which felt lighter) that a ex-army friend bought before the last election.  Since you have to wait for a permit in NC to buy a handgun, I went a bought a shotgun at the local gunshop today.  It was the last one and the ammo for shotguns disappeared shortly after I got mine.  Said ex-army friend is coming over later to show me how to operate it (sans pulling the trigger of course).

Only 4 cases in the entire county, but figured should move quickly once my wife told me should would feel safer having one during this :shrug:

Going out for a run, walk or ride seems like a great way to stay active and ward off cabin fever.  It's literally impossible to catch a virus while running alone unless you stop to pick up trash that you come across, which I assume you're not doing.
I have had to resist the urge to pick things off trees on my walks

I don't get this. If everything is shut down how are they going to ski resorts and beaches?
Not "Wuhan shutdown", authoritarian-state style. People can still leave their homes. Not sure if the ski resorts are actually open and running, or if people are just trekking up some nice hills near or in the resorts and skiing on the cheap. As for the beach ... generally you can show up there.

Was just talking with the wife about our elderly family members. Might be a coincidence but we just realized that she has a cousin (50s from WA) that died a week and a half ago from bronchitis and her friend‘s dad (80s from FL) that just passed around the same time from pneumonia. My dad, uncle and boss’ wife (all from OR) have all had pneumonia in the last month.  None were tested. 

Not "Wuhan shutdown", authoritarian-state style. People can still leave their homes. Not sure if the ski resorts are actually open and running, or if people are just trekking up some nice hills near or in the resorts and skiing on the cheap. As for the beach ... generally you can show up there.
I have a friend at a ski resort this weekend.  Haven't heard if it shut down while he is there

So I was a friend's house last night - restaurant (3 site) owner, with a young daughter at home. Mid meal she gets a text from the daughter's school (private, not sure if it matters, but it's common down here) saying that a father of a girl in the daughter's class is in critical condition at a local well known hospital with CV.

The child's school already just Friday went to online classes. My friend anticipates quarantining herself. Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Can you work from home readily? Can you practice social distancing (basically, keeping other people in public more than six feet away you at almost all times)? If yes to both, you can essentially self-quarantine with a few exceptions for grocery runs (early morning or late nights are best), maybe checking on loved ones, etc. Really, this is good practice for everyone in our town right now.

Users who are viewing this thread