What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (20 Viewers)

I've considered something similar before.  While quarantined, these people should be getting training on how to help care for COVID-19 patients.  Then when they emerge from quarantine they can assist medical teams.
You can’t predict everyone who will get really sick, so a few of those “healthy” volunteers (some of whom may be coerced in subtle ways, or not understand what they’re signing up for) will require ICU care and may even die. Although it’s not common, there are more and more reports of younger, otherwise healthy people getting taken to the woodshed by this virus.

According to the news there are only a handful of cases in your state. Is the real situation not being reported on?
Handful diagnosed, but many more persons under investigation (PUI.) And plenty of worried well too, I’m sure.

Hospital has been near capacity of full for months, so we have to be proactive for the upcoming surge of patients.

NYC schools closed until April 20, possibly the end of the year. Supposedly NYC teachers are going to get an intense week of training on online teaching

I'm in Cleveland area.  People are losing their minds about this situation.  It is going to absolutely crush the economy.  Seems like we either have the folks who believe this is real and we need to make drastic measures or those who believe it is fake news or a conspiracy.  I've heard that this is Trump keeping black people from voting and I've heard that it is a ploy by the WORLD to get Trump out of office.  

I am exhausted.  I can't take it anymore.  Thank God DeWine isn't messing around with this.  I honestly didn't like him but dude will have my vote for anything he ever runs for again. 
My FB timeline is full of OH melt down. Define must go!!! Infringement of my 1st amendment rights!!! This is why our ancestors left Europe!!!

Like you, I’m wore slap out over it. If your need to get a drink or a meal out after work is greater than the threat of getting infected or worse, infecting those around you, well I’ll just opt to avoid you for a few months until this thing blows over.

Is it too soon to ask if my school taxes will be down a bit? I get that we're still going to have to pay the unionized staff, but coach salaries should be gone. Bus drivers and a lot of maintenance staff have nothing to do. OpEx will be down a ton.

I'm probably looking at a two week furlough if liquor stores shut down, as would all the guys who work for me. I'm concerned the working to middle class get squeezed real hard on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it too soon to ask if my school taxes will be down a bit? I get that we're still going to have to pay the unionized staff, but coach salaries should be gone. Bus drivers and a lot of maintenance staff have nothing to do.

I'm probably looking at a two week furlough if liquor stores shut down, as would all the guys who work for me. I'm concerned the working to middle class get squeezed real hard on this.
How many times have you seen your taxes go down?

Is it too soon to ask if my school taxes will be down a bit? I get that we're still going to have to pay the unionized staff, but coach salaries should be gone. Bus drivers and a lot of maintenance staff have nothing to do. OpEx will be down a ton.

eh?

Very short-sighted way of looking at this.  You stop paying those people - then how are they putting a roof over their head, or food in their mouth?

Then - you assume a tax-payer funded bailout will eventually make its way into their hands - and you, as a tax payer, pay for it.  You end up footing the bill either way - why create the stress?

"Hey, remember when everyone rushed to the store to buy toilet paper at the same time and it ran out before it could be restocked and everyone freaked out?

Now imagine the same thing happening at your local hospital.  But instead of TP, it's hospital beds and ventilators.

That's why everything is cancelled.  That's why you should stay home."

My school in Kansas just closed for this week into spring break next week. I believe all schools in Kansas will be doing same shortly.

I work in the restaurant business in Boston. Administrative role at an existing cafe/restaurant, building and managing a new catering program and all operations and sales, marketing, etc. involved with all that. This is the worst time possible for this for us really, we're having huge orders worth thousands delayed or cancelled just as we're getting off the ground with it all. Even worse for me as I make a healthy commission on each sale as a bonus. 

But as it's a small business in a trying time, I was worried it would awkwardly remain open as long as the city allows it, when I know the best thing is to shut down completely. 

I was relieved and honestly proud that our owner did the right thing and closed up today. Even moreso because she's a young 24 year old just getting off the ground in a rough business, it's a tough call and she's already committed to paying everyone for as long as she can. Good egg. 

So tomorrow a couple of us are just going to go in, clear out certain things that will just get disgusting after possibly weeks of sitting, and shut the place down for a while. Then we'll self quarantine and figure it all out later.

But first we're gonna take as much of the perishable food as we can and put together as many lunches for the kids who don't have school as we can. That'll feel good at least. 

This is gonna result in both alot of unnecessary deaths AND a recession. 
there were going to be a lot of deaths and a recession unless we had an absolutely perfect response and a lucky "miracle"

but i agree our actions and inaction have tremendously worsened the circumstances

i must say (apparently) that speaking of a lot of deaths and a recession in the same breath is kind of sad, as if they are equally weighted

i'm sure you don't think that at all though (sincerely)

but please isolate. it is, a matter of life and death.

I work in the restaurant business in Boston. Administrative role at an existing cafe/restaurant, building and managing a new catering program and all operations and sales, marketing, etc. involved with all that. This is the worst time possible for this for us really, we're having huge orders worth thousands delayed or cancelled just as we're getting off the ground with it all. Even worse for me as I make a healthy commission on each sale as a bonus. 

But as it's a small business in a trying time, I was worried it would awkwardly remain open as long as the city allows it, when I know the best thing is to shut down completely. 

I was relieved and honestly proud that our owner did the right thing and closed up today. Even moreso because she's a young 24 year old just getting off the ground in a rough business, it's a tough call and she's already committed to paying everyone for as long as she can. Good egg. 

So tomorrow a couple of us are just going to go in, clear out certain things that will just get disgusting after possibly weeks of sitting, and shut the place down for a while. Then we'll self quarantine and figure it all out later.

But first we're gonna take as much of the perishable food as we can and put together as many lunches for the kids who don't have school as we can. That'll feel good at least. 
What restaurant? I live in Boston and want to patronize restaurants who are doing in the right thing now once we get past this. I'll take a PM if you don't to want to post it for the board.

there were going to be a lot of deaths and a recession unless we had an absolutely perfect response and a lucky "miracle"

but i agree our actions and inaction have tremendously worsened the circumstances

i must say (apparently) that speaking of a lot of deaths and a recession in the same breath is kind of sad, as if they are equally weighted

i'm sure you don't think that at all though (sincerely)

but please isolate. it is, a matter of life and death.
Deaths are obviously very sad.  But a deep recession (or depression) ends up leading to a lot of deaths too, in a different way. Economic concerns aren’t all about people losing half of their 401k or losing all their rental homes.

For some people it means they go homeless or struggle to eat or become unhealthy.

So I have an 18 year old daughter who is a senior in high school.  Their school is cancelled for next week, but supposed to resume the following Monday.

Me: Yeah, your school isn't going to be open on Monday.  You'll be lucky if you go back at all this year.

Her: That's stupid.  We don't have any cases in [city].  We'll have school.

Me: No you won't.  Trust me.  They just say Monday because they want to have a deadline for returning, but they'll roll back that deadline by Thursday night at the latest.

Her: No they won't.  You don't know what you're talking about.

Me: Okay.  How about a friendly wager.  If school is open on Monday, I owe you $20.  If school is closed on Monday, you owe me $20.

Her: I don't have $20 to bet on something like this.

Me, triumphantly: No problem, I understand.  [Gesturing at me] Money talks.  [Gesturing at her] Bull#### walks.  I think we know who is who in this situation.  

Probably my greatest dad moment of all time.  If this were a videogame, I would have unlocked a trophy for this.

So I have an 18 year old daughter who is a senior in high school.  Their school is cancelled for next week, but supposed to resume the following Monday.

Me: Yeah, your school isn't going to be open on Monday.  You'll be lucky if you go back at all this year.

Me: No you won't.  Trust me.  They just say Monday because they want to have a deadline for returning, but they'll roll back that deadline by Thursday night at the latest.

Me: Okay.  How about a friendly wager.  If school is open on Monday, I owe you $20.  If school is closed on Monday, you owe me $20.

Me, triumphantly: No problem, I understand.  [Gesturing at me] Money talks.  [Gesturing at her] Bull#### walks.  I think we know who is who in this situation.  

Probably my greatest dad moment of all time.  If this were a videogame, I would have unlocked a trophy for this.
This should be posted in the little kids get owned thread. 

She will have the last laugh once she Infects you and collects the life insurance policy

I hope everything works out for you guys.  Best of luck.

I’m trying to pay attention to which local businesses are making the correct decisions despite it not being in their best financial interest, as well as those that are doing good in the community (businesses donating goods, restaurants offering children free lunches, distilleries making and giving away hand sanitizer, etc).  

These are the places are earning my loyalty for my lifetime.  

Odd question as I continue to try and wrap my head around how this is all gonna go down:  will this be regional?  Meaning some areas of the country are Italy and others S Korea?

Just as another aside - She gets the 14-day self-isolation order, and not to return to work until Department of Health contacts her.

Doctor straight up said, "Don't worry about the Department of Health, they will not be contacting you, they are already overwhelmed.  You are free to return to work if you are symptom free in 14 days."

If they are overwhelmed now - I truly hate to see what its like in a couple of weeks.
Here’s hoping she’s back at work in 14 days.  Thinking of you and your wife, GB.

This is going to sound very offensive and if you want to blast me I understand. Probably somebody can say this better than me.

The deaths are almost all far older people with serious health conditions. I feel like shutting the world down and destroying our economy seems like overreacting to saving a bunch of people that lived full lives and all seem to be of the opinion they lived their lives, their not gonna hide in their houses now. Meanwhile economy tanks, millions lose their jobs and children fall back in their education all to save 85 great granddad with emphysema. 

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
Odd question as I continue to try and wrap my head around how this is all gonna go down:  will this be regional?  Meaning some areas of the country are Italy and others S Korea?
there's bound to be some variation across a country this big, but i wouldn't expect that level of difference.  just my $.02

This is going to sound very offensive and if you want to blast me I understand. Probably somebody can say this better than me.

The deaths are almost all far older people with serious health conditions. I feel like shutting the world down and destroying our economy seems like overreacting to saving a bunch of people that lived full lives and all seem to be of the opinion they lived their lives, their not gonna hide in their houses now. Meanwhile economy tanks, millions lose their jobs and children fall back in their education all to save 85 great granddad with emphysema. 
This is what they mean when they say to have an "internal dialog".

Would love to hear her version of the story. ;)

Interesting related tidbit ...in the Arkansas Times earlier this week:  

In Arkansas, the Rev. Josh King met with the pastors of five other churches on Thursday to decide whether to continue holding service. Their religious beliefs told them that meeting in person to worship each Sunday remained an essential part of their faith, and some of their members signed on to Trump’s claims that the media and Democrats were overblowing the danger posed by the virus. ‘One pastor said half of his church is ready to lick the floor, to prove there’s no actual virus,’ said King, lead pastor at Second Baptist church in Conway, Ark…. ‘In your more politically conservative regions, closing is not interpreted as caring for you. It’s interpreted as liberalism, or buying into the hype,’ said King, whose church draws about 1,100 worshipers on a typical Sunday.”

Thankfully, someone made them see the light.  So Saturday they posted on their website:

The Mayor of Conway, Bart Castleberry, has asked groups not to gather live in hopes of preventing any potential spread of the virus in the Conway area.

We had hoped to gather this weekend, however, we respect and support that request and are now announcing that we will not be gathering in person, Sunday 03/15/20. We will broadcast the service live via Facebook and YouTube at 9:30AM CST.

You can help by:

Planning to gather your family and watch the 9:30 broadcast.

Share this information with as many people as possible.

Invite them to attend online.

Let us know you plan to watch by completing the form located at mysecond.family/updates and

Pray for our church, community, and national leaders.

she got an inhaler and some kind of mucinex.
I’m sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she and the rest of your family come through this healthy.

Can you please expand on what you wrote above - specifically what medications your wife was given?  I’ve read different opinions in here about Mucinex and other otc remedies. Was she given an expectorant only, or is it the DM brand of Mucinex?  Does your wife have a dry cough or phlegmy cough?  I’m curious about the active ingredient in the inhaler too. 

For home treatment of a family members with cv19, I was planning on Tylenol, fluids (electrolytes) and rest (sleeping aids if necessary). I’ve been told by mds that the cough suppressants are not effective. I’m wondering what other home treatment plans you guys are planning.

This article says not to use ibuprofen to treat cv19 - Link

Newt wrote the forward for this book: One Second After 

Sci-Fi doomsday type book about dealing with the collapse of the system.

Have heard him riff on fragility of our way of life on more than a few occasions.
That is a great/but very sobering series of books. 

Just FYI don't know why--but today there has been a run on gas in our area. Most stations around us have run out this afternoon.

Just a doomsday scenario coming true across many fronts. 

2 of my cousins posted a pic of themselves at a table in Columbia. Asking them if they're prepared to be there longer than they like. They aren't US citizens yet. 🙄

That is a great/but very sobering series of books. 

Just FYI don't know why--but today there has been a run on gas in our area. Most stations around us have run out this afternoon.

Just a doomsday scenario coming true across many fronts. 
People are scared. We went from 2 weeks to now maybe 6 mo or more before the worst is over. No one knows, not even the experts in the field. We're being told to not go out unless necessary. That may cause some areas to shut down gas stations. It may be cheaper to be closed. Who knows. But this uncertainty about everything right now is causing people to stock up, including having a full tank of gas in case something comes up that they'll be thanking themselves later they did. You feel at peace knowing that you're prepared for anything.

Interesting related tidbit ...in the Arkansas Times earlier this week:  

In Arkansas, the Rev. Josh King met with the pastors of five other churches on Thursday to decide whether to continue holding service. Their religious beliefs told them that meeting in person to worship each Sunday remained an essential part of their faith, and some of their members signed on to Trump’s claims that the media and Democrats were overblowing the danger posed by the virus. ‘One pastor said half of his church is ready to lick the floor, to prove there’s no actual virus,’ said King, lead pastor at Second Baptist church in Conway, Ark…. ‘In your more politically conservative regions, closing is not interpreted as caring for you. It’s interpreted as liberalism, or buying into the hype,’ said King, whose church draws about 1,100 worshipers on a typical Sunday.”
My Presbyterian church held a relatively short, streamed service via Facebook this morning.  It was different, but yet helpful to share with our church community in a different sort of way.  Shaking up the routines - even for worship - can be a good thing from time to time.

tamales said:

The deaths are almost all far older people with serious health conditions. I feel like shutting the world down and destroying our economy seems like overreacting to saving a bunch of people that lived full lives and all seem to be of the opinion they lived their lives, their not gonna hide in their houses now. Meanwhile economy tanks, millions lose their jobs and children fall back in their education all to save 85 great granddad with emphysema.

This is what they mean when they say to have an "internal dialog".

I get where you're coming from.

And if this was a regular strain of the flu, I might be nodding my head at what you've written. But at this point we have no idea how deadly this thing is going to be. And it doesn't just affect 85-year-olds who have emphysema -- the cutoff is much closer to 50 years of age. That's young!!

Then again, my opinion might change if I'm still quarantined 6 weeks from now.....

eh?

Very short-sighted way of looking at this.  You stop paying those people - then how are they putting a roof over their head, or food in their mouth?

Then - you assume a tax-payer funded bailout will eventually make its way into their hands - and you, as a tax payer, pay for it.  You end up footing the bill either way - why create the stress?
I'm being a little snarky, but the crux of my argument is this is a situation where everyone should share the burden. Private sector folks haven't been furloughed yet so there's an emphasis to protect public sector employees. However, we're talking about impacts across the spectrum here. I'm struggling to think of any sector that will be up in the short term.

I think a test UBI program, at least across all that have been impacted is a better policy than picking winners and losers.

Users who are viewing this thread