Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

2 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Yes, but they'll never extract it with the skill and magnitude of the rich. 

Just a bunch of underpants gnomes. 

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

I had lots of pictures to choose from.  That was the clear winner for me.

No one cares how you select your favorite stroke pics.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

Grocery stores in certain parts of NY closing for 2 weeks

No ####ing way.

11 minutes ago, Doug B said:

General spit-balling opinions sought from the house:

Do you all think that groceries and wholesale-club stores will approach a return to normal by the weekend of March 20-22? Or will it still be last-days-of-Pompeii shopping like this weekend?

Thinking of making a "what the heck" run at 6 a.m. tomorrow for a few things we don't need, but kind of want (e.g. Diet Coke [wife 'needs' this], Gatorade in case it;s needed for home care, etc.). Wondering if I can expect hundreds of people in line on Sunday at 6 a.m. at the local chain grocery -- not Costco or similar, just an average suburban supermarket. Might also make a reconnaissance mission late tonight (same store closes at 11 p.m.).

I stocked up at Costco, but ventured out to our local grocery store today for a few non-essential things we wanted, but did not need.

Big store - looked like a hurricane hit it.  Large sections of shelve were empty.  I don't even know what had been there - though the aisle with rice was notably empty.

I would not worry about crowds at 6, but I would worry about whether the store has had time to re-stock, assuming there was a run on things the last couple of days. (Having said that, my recollection was that the Soda Aisle was reasonably well stocked.)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NotSmart said:

The crowds have been orderly so far and exhibited a sense that everyone's in the same boat.

It doesn't take much imagination to see that changing relatively soon.

Think Black Friday and $250 big screen tvs, only now it's for food.

Personally, I think a lot of people are in denial. I think you agree, given a prior comment earlier today.

As denial wears off, and more and more people realize what is really happening, we are going to witness the worst of humanity. It's just a matter of when. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Was kind of thinking that there'd be a point where everyone who intended to horde will have gotten the hoarding out of the way. At least around here, stores aren't closing (though restricted hours are thought to be coming for after-hours restocking). So at least for now, we should - locally - expect to be able to go to the store tomorrow and next Wednesday and next weekend, and so forth. I guess it's possible that retailers close en masse all over the place with no warning ... is that kind of event even on the horizon? That didn't even happen in Wuhan, did it?

I don't think China is a good comparison for how the store situation will play out here.

9 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

I might go tomorrow just to witness what humanity is really like in times of crisis. 

Serious question, if these people are in such panic mode, why are they spending extra time in large stores exposing themselves to the virus? Is that extra jumbo pack of toilet paper really worth it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Politician Spock said:

Personally, I think a lot of people are in denial. I think you agree, given a prior comment earlier today.

As denial wears off, and more and more people realize what is really happening, we are going to witness the worst of humanity. It's just a matter of when. 

Yes, I sadly agree.

12 minutes ago, Tecumseh said:

No way in hell. We’ll be lucky to be back to normal by mid-May.

Which is why you should be smart like me (I don't think I've ever said or written those words in that order before)

and buy a deluxe vacation for June at rock bottom prices. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doug B said:

General spit-balling opinions sought from the house:

Do you all think that groceries and wholesale-club stores will approach a return to normal by the weekend of March 20-22? Or will it still be last-days-of-Pompeii shopping like this weekend?

Thinking of making a "what the heck" run at 6 a.m. tomorrow for a few things we don't need, but kind of want (e.g. Diet Coke [wife 'needs' this], Gatorade in case it;s needed for home care, etc.). Wondering if I can expect hundreds of people in line on Sunday at 6 a.m. at the local chain grocery -- not Costco or similar, just an average suburban supermarket. Might also make a reconnaissance mission late tonight (same store closes at 11 p.m.).

I think your mileage may vary based on where you live.

In my (western) part of Maryland, there is a grocery store right next to my local Sam’s Club.  I hit both early this morning as I usually do on Saturdays.  At 6:30am, the grocery store had just a few more people than a typical Saturday.  When the Sam’s Club opened at 7 there were about 10 people in line ahead of me...which is about 10 more than I have ever seen before.

Good luck!

My church is not holding services for the next 2 Sundays, instead having a message and prayer time at 10:30 Sunday morning for this week. The last time I saw a service cancelled was in Virginia with a snowstorm.

1 hour ago, Chemical X said:

I am going to the store and randomly hoarding nonsensical items to confuse the sheep.  Grabbed QTips today.

Did you yell out 'There's a run on Q-Tips!!!!!!!'?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

That's really a great question.

Things getting back to normal won't happen for... a long time.

Considering how normal has been redefined over the past four years, I'm not anxious for its return

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

See ... I was hoping the denial period was largely over by now. I thought the deniers of last week were panic-shopping and hoarding this week.

Dang ... what will it flippin' take for some people?

3 hours ago, Capella said:

GD right 

Not to be outdone, Auburn just declared themselves co-national champions with LSU and have made themselves their own rings.  Again.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2

19 minutes ago, moleculo said:

I know I've been a doom and gloom guy, but I think we (as a country) can be ok.  I'm very encouraged by the steps the country has taken over the past couple of days. 

Here's why I'm optomistic:  We are not one homogenous countries - we are 50 states that work very closely together.  Some areas will for sure get hit hard, others will be spared.  And, areas that are spared can help areas that get hard and offset some of the burden.  Some states will look like Italy, some will look like South Korea.

We know that nationally, we are following a similar curve to Italy (and most other countries).  But, when looking at case totals, we need to remember that (1) the US is 5x the size of Italy (2) different states are currently in drastically different spots on the exponential growth curve and actions taken today can have huge impacts.

Italy started locking things down on 3/8.  They had 7,375 cases that day, or 12.2 cases per 100k.  Today, Washington State has 569 cases, or 7.6 cases per 100k - almost 1/2 the total number of per capita cases that Italy did.  My home state of South Carolina is locking things down with 13 cases , or 0.26 per 100k.

Hopefully, acting earlier in the growth curve will have dramatic effects of bringing down the exponential growth.  Now, Washington, California, New York are still probably  going to get slammed, Italy style.  What we have in our favor is this: because Idaho is not being hit as hard as Seattle, patients/equipment can be transported to lessen the impact.  Delaware and Vermont can help NYC.  Nevada can help California, etc.

We have a long way to go to mitigate this.  We will need the federal government to do better.  We need to continue to quarantine even after we all get cabin fever next week (tomorrow?).  We need to put all our effort behind this, and we need to rally behind strong leadership.  I will reserve my thoughts on this for the PSF, but I am encouraged by the thought that it isn't too late to stem the tide.

Pulling together as a country and helping each other out is going to be imperative.

I don't think we can put much stock in the U.S. case numbers though - they are pitifully behind reality and are masking whatever our true current point on the timeline is.

Extreme social distancing to flatten the curve. Wash hands vigorously and often. Don’t panic, don’t hoard. It will probably be a couple of months with these extreme measures. But we can get through this. Be kind to those around you. And stay safe. Peace.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Every state needs to institute the 50+ people gathering ban immediately. We have almost no shot at keeping this reasonably contained without that. 

• Like 2

A cluster of 6 students test positive at Nova Southeastern University in Davie FL.  They had been to Ireland. One was an intern at a preschool on-site. Per a friend of mine, she was in close contact with kids, several assistants and teachers for at least one day after returning. Some of those who had close contact with her are freaking out and wondering where to go to get tested.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/03/14/officials-confirm-6-students-at-nova-southeastern-university-test-positive-for-covid-19/

https://www.nova.edu/coronavirus/

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

See ... I was hoping the denial period was largely over by now. I thought the deniers of last week were panic-shopping and hoarding this week.

My experience may be a lot different than yours given I live in a very republican heavy area, and there's a lot of people here who continue to regurgitate what Trump was saying weeks ago about it, and don't seem to realize even he has changed his tune this past week. They also don't even seem to know what Italy is, let alone what is going on there. Europe is just a place full of foreigners. And "you know about dem forners, right?"

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

I was at Walmart last night and spoke with a guy that was amazed the shelves were so depleted - he doesn't follow the news very much and had been unaware of what was going on.

He also informed me that there's no way the government could ever keep us in quarantine, and if you get the virus it's no different than the flu.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

I don't think China is a good comparison for how the store situation will play out here.

Point was that their stores stayed open, as a means to get food to the people. Some portion of the population of Wuhan did get food delivered to their homes AIUI ... but that wasn't the main way people were getting fed.

If groceries just close all at once, coast to coast, and don't re-open ... we've done something gravely wrong. Why would that even be on the table as a response to something (what?)?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

Pulling together as a country and helping each other out is going to be imperative.

I don't think we can put much stock in the U.S. case numbers though - they are pitifully behind reality and are masking whatever our true current point on the timeline is.

I think South Korea and China are the gold standards for tests per citizen.  I'm not sure how we compare to Italy.  

If you wanted, you could use deaths and  see the same patterns:

• Italy on 3/8: 366 deaths, or 0.6 per 100k.
  • Washington State today: 37 deaths*, or 0.49 per 100k
  • South Carolina today: 0 deaths, or 0.00 per 100k

* Washingtons numbers are likely to be high as the virus made it's way into a nursing home very early, inflating the mortality rate.

2 hours ago, Chemical X said:

I am going to the store and randomly hoarding nonsensical items to confuse the sheep.  Grabbed QTips today.

Did the same, but went with David's sunfower seeds.  I'm about to get rich.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, Kal El said:

My church is not holding services for the next 2 Sundays, instead having a message and prayer time at 10:30 Sunday morning for this week. The last time I saw a service cancelled was in Virginia with a snowstorm.

At least two major Dioceses have cancelled Catholic Masses - Boston and New York.

That is a really big deal - and probably had to get approval from The Vatican.

What’s going on in Washington state? 

4 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

I was at Walmart last night and spoke with a guy that was amazed the shelves were so depleted - he doesn't follow the news very much and had been unaware of what was going on.

He also informed me that there's no way the government could ever keep us in quarantine, and if you get the virus it's no different than the flu.

Imagine he and you are being chased by a hoard of zombies. He’s the slow fat guy.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, Tin Cup said:

I think your mileage may vary based on where you live.

In my (western) part of Maryland, there is a grocery store right next to my local Sam’s Club.  I hit both early this morning as I usually do on Saturdays.  At 6:30am, the grocery store had just a few more people than a typical Saturday.  When the Sam’s Club opened at 7 there were about 10 people in line ahead of me...which is about 10 more than I have ever seen before.

Good luck!

Went to Costco this morning right as it opened. There was a long line of people along the side of the building and they were entering 1 at a time. The entrance is 20' wide. I just walked right in. :pirate:

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

At least two major Dioceses have cancelled Catholic Masses - Boston and New York.

Our church just had an elders meeting, but at any rate, we have several older people who attend, and it makes total sense.

51 minutes ago, shuke said:

I was just coming in here to ask what the recommendations are regarding this.  My daughter loves playing with friends in the neighborhood.  I can't imaging saying no right now if I am going to be going to work on Monday and being around a bunch of people.  However, wife and I are questioning what is right here.

it killed me to say "sorry, no, not today.  Call her on your phone."  Ugh.  I wish we had worked this out with her parents first.

4 hours ago, msommer said:

Posty?

No.

It's called providing context to the deaths.

3 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:
8 minutes ago, Doug B said:

My experience may be a lot different than yours given I live in a very republican heavy area, and there's a lot of people here who continue to regurgitate what Trump was saying weeks ago about it, and don't seem to realize even he has changed his tune this past week.

The suburbs of New Orleans are very red, though New Orleans itself is deep blue. So a lot of what you report rings true.

Took my son to schoolyard today and he played basketball with his friends. I got my bagel and coffee in the morning. I refuse to stop living

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SoBeDad said:

A cluster of 6 students test positive at Nova Southeastern University in Davie FL.  They had been to Ireland. One was an intern at a preschool on-site. Per a friend of mine, she was in close contact with kids, several assistants and teachers for at least one day after returning. Some of those who had close contact with her are freaking out and wondering where to go to get tested.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/03/14/officials-confirm-6-students-at-nova-southeastern-university-test-positive-for-covid-19/

https://www.nova.edu/coronavirus/

I called an ER to see if they do testing and they said yes, but you have to meet criteria. I asked for the criteria and was told to call the health department for the criteria. We got this.

Close contact is one of the criteria. 

• Thanks 1

If the internet goes down, it will be bedlam

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tamales said:

Took my son to schoolyard today and he played basketball with his friends. I got my bagel and coffee in the morning. I refuse to stop living

Keep at it and the decision may not be yours. 

1 hour ago, NotSmart said:

:(

I think you have to go back to WWII to think of the last time our country was severely tested at a national level.

9/11 woke everyone up, but daily life did not substantially change.

I hope the underlying American spirit and backbone is still there at a large scale.

The Americans during WWII were asked to sacrifice for years by going to war and rationing. 

The Americans during the Pandemic were asked to hang out for a couple weeks, watch netflix and not buy too much toilet paper.

• Like 6
  • Laughing 2

Just now, joffer said:

If that happens, I'll probably just try and go get infected - accept my fate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joffer said:

[Arnold "Kindergarten Cop" voice]

It's not a computer virus.

[/Arnold "Kindergarten Cop" voice]

• Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

My mom and my father-in-law are both in the "it's like the flu" camp :(  The fact that the flu kills more in raw numbers holds tremendous sway with this mindset. Case fatality rate -- or really any rate -- cuts no ice.

I did take the time to explain to my mom this morning about CFR and such. At the same time she's talking about "flu kills more", she was still doing the proper prep for her, my dad, and my heart-patient brother living with them. So maybe it's normalcy bias on one hand, and maternal instinct on the other kind of battling it out in her head.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tamales said:

This is the epitome of the problem we have in this country. It is not about you, nor is it about your will to live the life you know. It is about the elderly, and the sick, and the young. It's about my ####### father who I donated a kidney to and is 77 years old and is in a super high risk situation. It's about many others parents who are elderly. It's about some of our friends who already have weakened immune systems from cancer. 

So no, please don't keep going on with the life you know. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 6

1 minute ago, BobbyLayne said:

The Americans during WWII were asked to sacrifice for years by going to war and rationing. 

The Americans during the Pandemic were asked to hang out for a couple weeks, watch netflix and not buy too much toilet paper.

It's unlikely to just be a couple weeks.... and many people will be financially devastated from it. 

8 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Extreme social distancing to flatten the curve. Wash hands vigorously and often. Don’t panic, don’t hoard. It will probably be a couple of months with these extreme measures. But we can get through this. Be kind to those around you. And stay safe. Peace.

A very apt user name.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, the moops said:

This is the epitome of the problem we have in this country. It is not about you, nor is it about your will to live the life you know. It is about the elderly, and the sick, and the young. It's about my ####### father who I donated a kidney to and is 77 years old and is in a super high risk situation. It's about many others parents who are elderly. It's about some of our friends who already have weakened immune systems from cancer. 

So no, please don't keep going on with the life you know. 

I washed hands, brought hand sanitizer with me, and took all necessary precautions. There were no grandparents playing basketball. 

Im avoiding large crowds but I refuse to stay holed up on my house. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Add Detroit to that list...

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

I asked my friendly neighborhood liquor dealer if the sales had reached pre-hurricane proportions. He said, "not yet but we're getting there."

amateurs

3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Point was that their stores stayed open, as a means to get food to the people. Some portion of the population of Wuhan did get food delivered to their homes AIUI ... but that wasn't the main way people were getting fed.

If groceries just close all at once, coast to coast, and don't re-open ... we've done something gravely wrong. Why would that even be on the table as a response to something (what?)?

I more meant to highlight that China's government forces people to follow rules and be compliant so stores weren't an issue.

I don't think stores here would be closed as a response to anything, it would instead be due to a combination of not having much to sell, and having fewer workers to staff them due to illness and resignations.

I sadly think stores are likely to be largely bought out of food and then it will be a matter of how intact the supply chains remain, from start to finish, so that the stores can be periodically restocked.

1 minute ago, Keerock said:

Add Detroit to that list...

All we got was a special dispensation that Mass was not required.

Still, even holding mass is a risky proposition, given the age of many parishioners.