What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (22 Viewers)

Catching up on some e-mails over the past week, I just learned that a co-worker drove a friend from the airport from Wuhan, China in late December. My boss was out sick with "flu-like symptoms" Wed-Fri.

:scared:
We'll miss you in the Titans thread

A smalltown in Kentucky is the unlikely center of America's COVID-19 outbreak. When reached for comment, patient zero (a young professional now living in Nashville) stated, "I know Mom keeps a stash of Honey Bunches of Oats, and I love that ####."

I will say looking at the air quality in China it is no surprise that people there have a harder time fighting it off regardless of access to medicine.

I know people are condemning wet markets (for good reason), but has this outbreak or others convinced anyone to reduce meat consumption? A lot of food borne illness, even when it involves veggies,  can be traced to the abysmal conditions of industrial livestock production.
A bridge too far, GB.  If threat of heart disease ain't doing it, neither will this.

I know people are condemning wet markets (for good reason), but has this outbreak or others convinced anyone to reduce meat consumption? A lot of food borne illness, even when it involves veggies,  can be traced to the abysmal conditions of industrial livestock production.
We’ve cut back on red meat for years. Chicken probably the final frontier. We eat a few vegetarian meals a week, may up it even more. 

You are boldly going where only Mr. Ham has gone before in this thread...
Lol...I know!  Only zerohedge and crap had articles like this before.  The Daily Mail isn't too much better but the quote/source of "Beijing-sponsored South China University of Technology" gave me pause.  You think they'd not let this get published unless it was about to get out in the wild as a fact.

The “hot button” is when people see China keep ~50 cities and half a billion people on lockdown.  People’s survival instinct tells them, “When a mountain bear is chasing after you, you don’t have to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun the guy running next to you.”  The question is why is China “overreacting” when it’s a nothing-burger?

Total flu deaths in US, population 329.45 million: 
61,000 in 2017 - 2018 season (estimated) 
38,000 in 2016 - 2017 season 
23,000 in 2015 - 2016 season

Total official flu deaths in China, population 1.435 billion: 
144 in 2018 
  56 in 2017 
  41 in 2016
Exactly, this is basically a story of China quarantining millions and damaging their own economy due to a virus.  Since everyone knows we can’t trust China, we simply done have enough facts now.

But, there are enough non-China people with the virus that we can start to see spread rates and death rates that are realistic.  Also we will see what the true symptoms are and whether it is truly mutating (which I doubt )

Like I said It was a while back and something I had read in passing. But since you seem incapable of using Google... 

Not saying these are the specific links I read but it's what comes up with 23 seconds of effort and a rudimentary knowledge of how to use Google: 
I enjoy your posts but this really wasn’t excellent. All he did was ask for a link to learn something 

Another 99 cases on Diamond Princess reported (not sure if that includes the 40 Americans we heard of yday)

i24News

Monday saw the first plane evacuating US citizens from the vessel land in California, with the passengers set for two weeks of quarantine at a military base.

These included 14 people who had been diagnosed with coronavirus, but still allowed to board the planes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to believe a 2k increase in confirmed cases but a 600+ decrease in severe cases (With only a 100 increase in recovered).

If true that's great but I don't believe it 

The Toyko Marathon was basically just cancelled.  It will now only be 176 "elite" runners instead of the normal 30k.  My cousin is crushed, he had qualified and was trying to run all 6 major marathons within a 12 month period or something crazy.

You shut your whore mouth mister!

Last night i found an article about a famous Chinese director who was on his deathbed after both his parents and his wife had recently died from the virus. He was sending a video to his son in the states. 

Cant recall where I saw it, if anyone can find it please post in here.

edit: found iT. Correction: wife is infected but okay so far. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/f535md/a_family_of_four_in_wuhan_all_passed_away_due_to/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Lol...I know!  Only zerohedge and crap had articles like this before.  The Daily Mail isn't too much better but the quote/source of "Beijing-sponsored South China University of Technology" gave me pause.  You think they'd not let this get published unless it was about to get out in the wild as a fact.
Wow, they kicked zerohedge off Twitter for posting that.  This will inevitably cause the Streisand effect, and serves as confirmation for most conspiracy theorist.

The Daily Mail isn't too much better but the quote/source of "Beijing-sponsored South China University of Technology" gave me pause.  You think they'd not let this get published unless it was about to get out in the wild as a fact.
A LOT of stuff is getting published online that won't ever become fact. There is rarely a penalty for being alarmist and wrong.

Based on what? More cruiseship stuff? 

That cruise thing needs to be treated as it's own monster and not reflective of the true growth rate.
I have no idea.  It’s currently sitting at 893 reported infections but I’ve been updating it at night so I’ll stick to that. Probably a reflection of countries reporting things on Monday morning.

Ill try to make some changes tonight.  Those numbers are total reported cases, and apparently don’t include those that have recovered and/or died.

Tracking recovered and died should give us a better estimate of the actual mortality rate although it’s probably too early for that. 

Non-China Infections

2/7 - 277

2/10 - 394

2/11 - 430

2/12 - 490

2/14 - 525

2/15 - 684

2/16 - 695
Testing out some additional information

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277

2/10 - 394

2/11 - 430

2/12 - 490

2/14 - 525

2/15 - 684

2/16 - 695

2/17 - 893 Reported Cases - (454 on Diamond Princess) - 135 recovered - 36 serious/critical - 5 dead 

There’s a story I’ve seen linked more than once that says all of Wuhan got government mandated vaccines December 1, and it could have been a bad vaccine responsible for the high death rate and more mild strains that derived from that which was injected.
That had been a challenge with SARS vaccine research -- testing early vaccines in animals has made the patients as sick or sicker (worse symptoms) than they were fighting off SARS untreated (Link 1) (Link 2). I don't know if any of the potential SARS vaccines ever did pass human trials.

IMHO, something is very different about the COVID-19 patients in Wuhan versus others in China and overseas from China. I'd buy that someone somewhere panicked early on -- or was overly hopeful and biased after dubious animal trials -- and generated a bunch of dodgy vaccine to help staunch an outbreak in Wuhan, say, in later December/early January.

After a couple of days won't be able to separate the cruise people from the other infections.
This cruise ship thing has added a tremendous layer of complexity in figuring out how this stands.  I honestly have no idea what the best method is to manage it's impact.  

It certainly seems a cruise ship was a horrible place to lock people up for 2 weeks.  

So would dividing the recovered by the dead be a good way of calculating the mortality rate?

If so, we are currently sitting at 3.7%

So would dividing the recovered by the dead be a good way of calculating the mortality rate?
That's an overcalculation due to the discarding of both low-symptom unrecovered cases and undiagnosed cases.

Also, a true mortality rate requires a time component -- over one year is common. With COVID-19 so new, mortality rate calculations necessarily will be fuzzy and location-specific (e.g. Wuhan itself, Hubei, China, other countries, the world, etc.).

I've put this in back of my mind as not to get worried or freaked out...but I'm flying to Amsterdam on March 16 and will be in Europe for 10 days.

Start hiding masks and hand sanitizer?

WHO publishes daily situation reports that listed by country the Total confirmed cases, Total with travel to China, Total with transmission outside China, Total deaths, etc. (see page 4).   There is a 1 day delay but is official info.  Link
Probably a bit more reliable than the info I'm posting!

A follow up on the “fecal cloud” speculation...

Chinese CDC researchers isolated virus from stool samples of new coronavirus pneumonia cases

”Following the announcement of Zhong Nanshan and Academician Li Lanjuan's team, the virus was successfully isolated from the stool samples of patients. On February 13, the Chinese CDC team successfully isolated two new coronaviruses from specimens of confirmed cases of new coronary pneumonia in two provinces. Detoxification of feces from patients with new coronary pneumonia has always been the focus of epidemic prevention and control. Based on the detection of nucleic acids in previous fecal samples, it is proved that live viruses do exist in feces. The relationship between the existence of this phenomenon and fecal-oral transmission needs further Research. Academician Gao Fu said that further investigation and research work will play an important guiding role in future prevention and control.”
Fecal Cloud Speculation was the name of the improv troupe I was in back in the 90's.

Users who are viewing this thread