What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

If it was just a small percentage of elderly dying every country that has ever contracted this would not be taking the same extreme measures.  The virus is more harmful than what is being reported because they don't want to cause a hysteria.   See the Guardian link I provided earlier in this thread if you want to see a worst case scenario.  7.9 million hospitalized just in the UK is a worst case scenario.

This is pretty simple logic.
Jon makes an interesting point.  I have never agreed with him on much of anything but as a purely academic matter I'd be surprised if some countries aren't running these calculations right now.  Will be interesting to see how china comes back online: do they see the virus come roaring back?  Do the lockdown again or let it ride?  Russia?  I don't see a western democracy taking that approach but an authoritarian regime looking to rise in the world ranking while the top dogs are down?  And if you dont think this discussion is happening all the time in govt and military planning all over the world you are very naive.  You don't have to like, but it is happening...and it has been happening for millennia.

Pls don't shoot the messenger, I am not taking sides here

Get rid of the handicapped and special needs people and the economy will be booming?
People die for all kinds of reasons every day.  We make decisions everyday not to go to extreme measures to save every life possible.  We could ban cars, pools, fast food, soda and do all sorts of things which could save lives, but we don't. We build safer cars, we don:t ban them and we accept the fact that 40,000 people will still be killed by them.   We can"t just shut everything down indefinitely.  We need to work and make what we do safer. 

Do we have the capability or willpower to follow what they did though?
China was slow to act and then came down with a hammer.  What South Korea pulled off was simply amazing, that'll be the model for governments going forward for years to come.

My personal belief is we land somewhere between South Korea and Italy...we still literally have people partying in NY pubs, Bourbon street and going to crowded restaurants as of last night...this puts us further and further away from the S. Korea trajectory and a lot closer to the Italy trajectory.

Hearing likely nationwide curfew coming ~midweek from buddy in DHS. Getting an update tomorrow. 

He's been fairly good with stuff he's shared thus far. 
One of the rumors I've heard third hand at DoD also. Not sure about midweek but possibly by Friday.

Again, just rumors. 

So this thread is super bleak and I almost can’t read it any longer. Try something different — there has to be a chance for good news right? This isn’t 100% guaranteed to be a total disaster (I hope). So what would good news look like? How would we get there? Just dumb luck?
I view this as our mutual coping thread.  Just switched from beer to rye :banned:  

It’s difficult to understand that clownshow on Friday, followed by a rate cut and the braggadocio that has accompanied that, followed by a strict lockdown/quarantine a few days later...

Dad still going for oxygen therapy and to the chiropractor tomorrow, both unnecessary. Told him CA saying no over 65 should be out. His response, I don't care if I get it. I want to go now anyway. Bro is the one who takes him out. He's 46 and healthy but exhausted from helping our dad due to motor neuron disease called primary lateral sclerosis. Depressing..

Hearing likely nationwide curfew coming ~midweek from buddy in DHS. Getting an update tomorrow. 

He's been fairly good with stuff he's shared thus far. 
I know you mean no harm but I could do without this anecdotal stuff people post. I heard from a buddy that a 30 year old is dying, my friend said we are going under curfew etc. The real news we have is way stressful enough. 

BOSTON (AP) — Schools in Massachusetts will close for at least three weeks, and all gatherings of more than 25 people will be banned in the latest attempt to arrest the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Charlie Baker announced Sunday.

The governor also ordered all dine-in restaurants and bars to close for a month. Take-away and delivery services won’t be affected by the rules, nor will grocery stores or pharmacies.

“I realize these measures are unprecedented,” Baker, a Republican, said at a news conference announcing the directives. “But we’re asking our residents to take a deep breath and understand the rationale behind this guidance.”

Classes were already suspended in many parts of the state, including Boston. Some districts are holding classes on Monday to give students a chance to retrieve belongings and pick up materials for home instruction.

The restrictions on gatherings will apply to any event that brings 25 or more people together in the same space and will apply to churches, gyms, theaters and workplaces. The order goes into effect Tuesday and lasts through April 5.

[\i]

Baker was CEO for much of my time at HPHC. And he was fantastic. To this point I thought he was a lousy governor. But this is the good Charlie Baker. I've been wondering where he's been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow morning might be a good time to top off supplies or grab stuff that you might have overlooked . Stores have been crushed over the weekend

Wow, I got beat up for putting "alot of unnecessary deaths" and "recession" in the same sentence.
yeah, feel kind of bad about that, but see numerous posts more concerned about the economy/market than deaths. maybe that's because i also check in on the stock market thread.

like i said, i don't think that is your attitude. i apologize.

China was slow to act and then came down with a hammer.  What South Korea pulled off was simply amazing, that'll be the model for governments going forward for years to come.

My personal belief is we land somewhere between South Korea and Italy...we still literally have people partying in NY pubs, Bourbon street and going to crowded restaurants as of last night...this puts us further and further away from the S. Korea trajectory and a lot closer to the Italy trajectory.
So basically your answer is no, we don't.  Unfortunately that's my answer too based on the people I deal with around here.  

So this thread is super bleak and I almost can’t read it any longer. Try something different — there has to be a chance for good news right? This isn’t 100% guaranteed to be a total disaster (I hope). So what would good news look like? How would we get there? Just dumb luck?
We have two Chinese suppliers at work, both of which were shut down and in a quarantine zone.  They both went back to work in the past few weeks.

I know you mean no harm but I could do without this anecdotal stuff people post. I heard from a buddy that a 30 year old is dying, my friend said we are going under curfew etc. The real news we have is way stressful enough. 
I'm not sharing completely anecdotal stuff... this is from a federal Homeland Security employee who has been sharing good info that has almost universally happened.  Jax-Bill hearing the same things in a different department is "Confirmation, in gubmint speak - Same rumors, two different departments" per my buddy. 

Everything is anecdotal until it happens... I imagine some folks might benefit from advance notification. 

I give you my word I'm actively filtering stuff and only sharing stuff that feels likely likely or relevant. 

I'm not sharing completely anecdotal stuff... this is from a federal Homeland Security employee who has been sharing good info that has almost universally happened.  Jax-Bill hearing the same things in a different department is "Confirmation, in gubmint speak - Same rumors, two different departments" per my buddy. 

Everything is anecdotal until it happens... I imagine some folks might benefit from advance notification. 

I give you my word I'm actively filtering stuff and only sharing stuff that feels likely likely or relevant. 
I use the same protocol.  #### is about to get very weird. 

What does “curfew” mean?

So basically your answer is no, we don't.  Unfortunately that's my answer too based on the people I deal with around here.  
S. Korea was incredibly organized, had proper testing and cultural advantages(they follow directions), so no, we don't have the ability to pull off what South Korea did.

United States doesn't have testing on a mass scale yet, and culturally the majority of us don't trust the govt.  The American bravado and our lack of preparedness make us more likely to be Italy than South Korea.  

With two week quarantine does that mean grocery stores will be closed? I don't see how they can possibly do that. Less fortunate can't buy 2 weeks of groceries. 

To put people at ease...

A lot of people will get sick and too many will die but life will go on sooner than it seems.  

Things will get pretty normal in about 4-8 weeks is my guess.  Just need to ride it out.

The National Guard will man and distribute free groceries from stores if they couldn’t support them themselves . 

the stores will always be open

S. Korea was incredibly organized, had proper testing and cultural advantages(they follow directions), so no, we don't have the ability to pull off what South Korea did.

United States doesn't have testing on a mass scale yet, and culturally the majority of us don't trust the govt.  The American bravado and our lack of preparedness make us more likely to be Italy than South Korea.  
You and I don't agree on much, but I think this is dead on.   American hubris and division is going to bite us in the ### big time I think.  

At this juncture, I’m wondering if we’re in the process of creating a new tier above Italy...😳

With two week quarantine does that mean grocery stores will be closed? I don't see how they can possibly do that. Less fortunate can't buy 2 weeks of groceries. 
I swung by an Aldi's today ...I was out of the Veggie Chips that I like with my lunchtime PB&J. :shrug:    I was rather shocked at the number of people pushing their shopping carts, thoughtlessly handling those divider bars at check-out, and leaning on the counter as they were getting checked out.  I get the need to buy groceries, but every public setting creates exposure and risk.  Not sure what the answer is.

Seems like uber/amazon and the likes can be da real MVP here.

People order stuff online. Gets dropped off same day or next day. Every account has a limit to what you can buy. Stores can still stay open for people that dont have a online capability.

Anyone caught stealing stuff from a porch gets executed on the street corner.

To put people at ease...

A lot of people will get sick and too many will die but life will go on sooner than it seems.  

Things will get pretty normal in about 4-8 weeks is my guess.  Just need to ride it out.
Agree with your sentiment, although I'm thinking it's going to be a more like mid or late summer. The US is a big place and it will take time to pass through. 

My little podunk hometown where my 90 year old mother lives just got their first confirmed case today . I must admit, it scares me. A lot. I called her and filled her in on what to expect at the grocery store and let her know what items she had better stock up on quick if she was running short. She plans to hit the grocery store first thing in the morning. She has already basically put herself in lock-down mode, so that is good. She's actually quite upbeat. She's always been a positive sort or person. But just another worry for me.

Users who are viewing this thread