Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

1st confirmed case at Michigan State. Hopefully wasn’t a student who was out at the jam packed bars the last couple nights.

Oh man. 

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

1st confirmed case at Michigan State. Hopefully wasn’t a student who was out at the jam packed bars the last couple nights.

Hopefully it was a molesting doctor!

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

The current topic at hand is how to acquire booze safely. 

Anyone wanting to discuss something else, please leave and come back tomorrow. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 2

Just now, comfortably numb said:

Hopefully it was a molesting doctor!

This non-booze post is acceptable. 

21 hours ago, bradyfan said:

China CDC Situation Report on Mar-13
31 Provinces & XPCC
  Suspected: 115 (+17)
  Confirmed: 80824 (+11)
  Severe: 3610 (-410)
  Dead: 3189 (+13)
  Recovered: 65541 (+1430)
  Close contacts traced: 678,935 and 10,879 still under medical observation
“Imported” from other countries - Confirmed: 95 (+7)
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 137 (Dead: 4, Recovered: 78)
Macau - Confirmed: 10 (Recovered: 10) 
Taiwan - Confirmed: 50 (Dead: 1, Recovered: 20)

China CDC Situation Report on Mar-14
31 Provinces & XPCC
  Suspected: 113 (+39)
  Confirmed: 80844 (+20)
  Severe: 3226 (-384)
  Dead: 3199 (+10)
  Recovered: 66911 (+1370)
  Close contacts traced: 679759 and 10189 still under medical observation
“Imported” from other countries - Confirmed: 111 (+16)
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 141 (Dead: 4, Recovered: 81)
Macau - Confirmed: 10 (Recovered: 10)
Taiwan - Confirmed: 53 (Dead: 1, Recovered: 20)

1 minute ago, Politician Spock said:

Drone with a sign and cash attached would be pretty epic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good thread on the 1957 flu pandemic.  Potentially "most similar" to this one.

Flu came through in waves, not all at once.  Partly seasonality, partly some of the same countermeasures we're talking about now.  Kind of good news in that history suggests we WILL eventually react.

Total "excess deaths" were around 116k in 1957 as a result of the flu.  Population is nearly double now, so so would be like 225k in the US today.  

Unlike the back of the envelop #s you get to assuming no systemic response, the 1957 case review includes some of those reactions.  And also talks about how the impact will come in waves as we react, relax, react, relax across several seasonal fluctuations as well.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, matuski said:

When people stop spewing what they read in the media as un-challengable fact.. sure.

Interesting, you're anti-spewing.

1 hour ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Now that it's legal everywhere I don't get the same joy out of smoking a joint. 

Of all the dumb stuff said in this thread, this takes the cake.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, matuski said:

@IvanKaramazov

In fact, at this point (or a point now long past).. this thread should only ever have been in the PSF.

Counterarguments and information/opinions contrary to the prevailing narrative are chased out en masse.. a la the PSF.

I'm just saying that I don't think it's helpful for this particular thread to get too terribly derailed.  I mean, I know its the FFA and we're all going to have our little hobby horses, but still.

You're a good guy, and you and I go back a long way.  I sincerely hope that you and your family are doing well.  I'm going to drop all of this after this post.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

I don’t want to come face to face with anyone coming face to face with anyone. At least for two more weeks. So plan is to get a big order to the door and appeal to delivery person to leave the order, mostly red wine (how was the Stags Leap!) without an open door. I will leave ID on the steps so they can scan and ask for them to sign. If not, will ask they leave phone and back away. Will disinfect with Clorox and sign if necessary. Getting a damn month supply. Should have last week.

You are in Austin, right? Me too. Happy to help if you want. I can make a food run.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Watched Outbreak and Contagion again. They were more enjoyable when they were fiction. 

• Like 5
  • Laughing 1

Just now, whoknew said:

You are in Austin, right? Me too. Happy to help if you want. I can make a food run.

Meeting an internet person IRL might be more difficult than dealing with coronavirus 

• Laughing 2

1 minute ago, whoknew said:

Awesome.

1 minute ago, The General said:

That would work too. 

The Stag’s was great, thank you for asking. Something about the soil down there in that sliver of land they grow the grapes, the stuff is just so smooth but super rich.

Having a Washington Red right now - Mark Ryan. Really good but not quite Napa level.

How are the veggies coming in?

They’re coming in, and something magical about it. Buried those potatoes 15 inches deep and to see the stalks periscope out of the soil is amazing, Green beans are thriving. Tomatoes and onions coming up. Everything else taking its time. Still several weeks from any yield. But lots of things I started as seeds starting to get some shoulders. Had to build netting around a lot of it because something (rabbits or armadillos) were eating heads off of stuff, but good balance of stuff growing in pots and and an enclosed patio, and in the garden. Expect lots of veg in May. More than we can possibly eat.

Dad in neighboring family is a tremendous human with serious immunity disease, so will be sure to share as we can. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

Watched Outbreak and Contagion again. They were more enjoyable when they were fiction. 

I actually watched Contagion last night.  It's kind of scary how close that movie actually is to real life.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Getting nervous. Long on supplies except booze. There’s local delivery, but they require you open the door and sign their phone.

Seems pretty riskless—either wash thoroughly after signing or else wear a glove while signing. :shrug: 

I’m not aware that COVID spreads quite that easily. Just sign and wash up — you’ve got to handle “dirty” bottles anyway before you can wipe them down.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Too nice of you! In all seriousness, have more supplies than we need. If you need anything, please PM. 

Have rice, beans, and hand sanitizer we could spare.

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, matuski said:

The symptoms.  Lets stay on this.  COVID 19 has no treatment.  No cure.  No vaccine.  The symptoms are what you treat at this point.  Once there is a treatment, testing would become completely relevant.  Until then, you are treating the symptoms, not a specific COVID 19 treatment.  Test positive?  Still - just treating the symptoms.

Second - I have no idea whatsoever where you got that I don't want anyone tested?  My argument is the futility of testing the masses.  Testing anyone who wants it.  Pointless.. worse than pointless.

Not arguing the first point about no treatment.  People are wanting to know less for treating symptoms and more for stopping the spread.  If I test positive, chances are I won't end up in the hospital, but if I can notify people I've been in contact with, stop going out and infecting less people who might be in the demographic for landing in the hospital I am for that.  

I get the 2nd point and thanks for clearing that up.  Yes, we probably don't need 300M tests so we can test everybody today (which would divert healthcare workers away from sick patients, right - or is that something that could be done with minimal training?), but people are pretty frustrated that despite us being 'Murica and getting an advanced glimpse of what other countries had happen to them, we still don't even have the ability to test the people coming to the hospital with symptoms.  

3 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

5 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

I actually watched Contagion last night.  It's kind of scary how close that movie actually is to real life.

Rewatched Contagion yesterday as well. Very well done. Soderbergh is really good.

Outbreak is too corny to watch again :lol:

• Like 1

Dude on Faux says UV light kills it. Lets manufacture UV light emitting body suits. Retailing for $10000 on Amazon. Free roll of toilet paper included with purchase.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wife just reminded me, we had a slew of relatives on my mom’s side that died in Spanish Flu. Grandpa’s extended family was decimated. Then his dad, as WWI vet who got promoted at age 26 to VP of Wall Street firm, died quickly of bone cancer in the days before insurance.

Edited by Mr. Ham

49 minutes ago, matuski said:

Don't engage me, just passive aggressively engage me.  :lmao:

Are you an epidemiologist?

13 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

We all must know some friend who is always looking to make 50 bucks. 

45 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Seems weird - matuski seems to be dogging people who are panicking or are afraid that it's everywhere, but his stance seems to be that testing won't do anything because we have gone so far that it's everywhere?  

It’s quite the take 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Hit the trifecta with  Flu , think it's on Amazon prime.

5 hours ago, Slapdash said:

Proactive from our Governor despite relatively few cases so far:

Nick Stevens

@NickStevensHSOT

BREAKING: Gov. Roy Cooper has announced he is closing all NC K-12 public schools across the state until at least Mar. 30, due to coronavirus pandemic. He is also issuing an executive order to stop mass gatherings of more than 100 people -- making it mandatory.

Adding to the mass convos:

Joe Bruno @JoeBrunoWSOC9

NEW: Bishop Peter Jugis has instructed all churches that can seat more than 100 to cancel masses. All Charlotte Diocese schools will suspend classes until March 27 and move to remote learning

@wsoctv

29 minutes ago, proteus126 said:

Cool article with 4 scenario simulations.  You can rerun them.  Interesting to compare results across different containment strategies.  From WaPo.

This is good content 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Wife just reminded me, we had a slew of relatives on my mom’s side that died in Spanish Flu. Grandpa’s extended family was decimated. Then his dad, as WWI vet who got promoted at age 26 to VP of Wall Street firm, died quickly of bone cancer in the days before insurance.

Hit her with a roll of TP

27 minutes ago, matuski said:

@IvanKaramazov @Joe Bryant

In fact, at this point (or a point now long past).. this thread should only ever have been in the PSF.

Counterarguments and information/opinions contrary to the prevailing narrative are chased out en masse.. a la the PSF.

eta - May I introduce the FFA's first Echo Chamber since the PSF formed.

Is it possible that the reason so many people disagree with you is that you are just wrong?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

19 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

This is serious business

******APB******  PBS Showing the Mr Rogers doc right now.  Nice to feel good right about now.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

I’d go “12 Monkeys”

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, matuski said:

hey dude, some of your points make sense, but your delivery of making those points is kinda bad.

The reason we need testing it so accumulate data.  This disease isn't understood well right now.  The more data we have the better it can be understood and eventually treated. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, facook said:

******APB******  PBS Showing the Mr Rogers doc right now.  Nice to feel good right about now.

I mean, the message is that It's Gonna Be Ok....eventually.

I'm not comfortable with my 75 yo mom alone in the Seattle area. Seems 1 homeless guy with cv 10 min from her in that motel turned cv center left and is out there. With the possibility of domestic travel restrictions especially CA and WA with who knows what's to come up there in her area, hope she gets a ticket here.

• Love 2

2 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

If you're out of booze already, your home bar is woefully inadequate. If your goal was to be as unprepared as our government, congratulations. If not, you need to step up your game for the next disaster. In the interim, Google "pruno recipes." Worst case, there's always jenkem. Get to work. 

Seriously

2 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

I'm not comfortable with my 75 yo mom alone in the Seattle area. Seems 1 homeless guy with cv 10 min from her in that motel turned cv center left and is out there. With the possibility of domestic travel restrictions especially CA and WA with who knows what's to come up there in her area, hope she gets a ticket here.

What town is she in?

4 minutes ago, The General said:

I’d go “12 Monkeys”

Only streaming with a Showtime sub.  TV show is on Hulu though, as is 28 Days Later.  

6 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Tomorrow’s double feature may be 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later. 

• Like 1

Her and The Shining seem more realistic for this week. We give up our social life for a relationship with our phone. We social distance ourselves into cabin fever.

Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Only streaming with a Showtime sub.  TV show is on Hulu though, as is 28 Days Later.  

Didn’t watch the TV show. But might be worth a go. Hard to match Terry Gilliam madness though, perfect dude for that movie.

39 minutes ago, matuski said:

Just a hint - learn how to let things go. GL. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

42 minutes ago, shader said:

Stop with the semantics.  Everyone knows they haven’t tested all 51 million people. But they’ve tested everyone they need to test in order to halt the spread of the disease. 

That’s the way I look at it — they have tested “enough” - enough individuals early enough in time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The General said:

Didn’t watch the TV show. But might be worth a go. Hard to match Terry Gilliam madness though, perfect dude for that movie.

Couple pods I listen to highly recommend it.  Might not have the Gilliam craze, but supposedly does a good job with the script, time travel, and had a vision of where the show needed to end.  Towards the top of my queue, but I am more in movie mode again.  

• Thanks 1