What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

The bolded is a stretch. 
no, it's not - he wasn't advocating it. He wasn't saying "what a horrible thing it would be" either, and his wording was somewhat callous, but it's pretty obvious to me he was giving an opinion on what might happen rather than specifically advocating for what should be done.

I understand this thing is crazy stressful, but people need to relax a little bit with their online interactions imo.

I'm gonna post this again. As weird as it is, this is an opportunity to test our ability to stop a killer virus. One day there will be a worse one. This one is already worse than any previous one since we have been around. I'm a proponent of shutting it all down except vital services to see if we can stop it in its tracks. "Letting it run its course" is a missed opportunity. Airlines need shut down. Mass transit shut down. 
We have to continue to do anything we can to flatten the curve -  it's inevitable that most of us are going to get it - and most of us will be fine but the rare few plus the elderly need hospitals and medical staff to be available to treat them.  Just stay home people!

no, it's not - he wasn't advocating it. He wasn't saying "what a horrible thing it would be" either, and his wording was somewhat callous, but it's pretty obvious to me he was giving an opinion on what might happen rather than specifically advocating for what should be done.

I understand this thing is crazy stressful, but people need to relax a little bit with their online interactions imo.
More stretching. 

Here is her own quote on that. From: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487329-ohio-health-official-estimates-100000-people-in-state-have-coronavirus

If your opinion is based on the numbers, your opinion is delayed. 
And she may be correct, but her statement "We know now, just the fact of community spread, says that at least 1 percent, at the very least, 1 percent of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today" is stated as a fact, but yet it is conjecture which she provided no backup for how she derived it.  

I am sorry if I offend so many people with the suggestion that we need to slow down and plan instead of jumping head first with extreme and authoritarian solutions.  This is not about sitting at home for a couple weeks, this is indefinite. Could be several weeks or it could be several months.  We need to plan.  There needs to be an end game.  It needs to be executable without dragging the economy into the dumpster and without making everyone stir crazy.  
In all seriousness, why are these mutually exclusive?  (Assuming competent leadership, for the sake of argument...) Why can't we take quick, decisive action that may help immediately, based on plenty of useful info from other countries, AND also create a well thought out plan for how to do deal with economic consequences for the next several years?

And she may be correct, but her statement "We know now, just the fact of community spread, says that at least 1 percent, at the very least, 1 percent of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today" is stated as a fact, but yet it is conjecture which she provided no backup for how she derived it.  
She didn't say 1% is a fact. She said that community spread is a fact. The existence of community spread is factual because Ohio has confirmed cases where the patients got it despite not traveling nor being exposed to a traveler. With that known fact, she presumes (see "says") that at least 1 percent have it. 

People forget that this pandemic, and the subsequent response, is/was very predictable. There is some variation on the exact path it will ultimately take, but this is all predictable. 

@jon_mx you keep appealing to facts, numbers, and data, but you seem to be ignoring all the data from other countries.  Look at Italy.  Do you not see how the US, even with our complete lack of testing, is tracking Italy, just with a time lag?

I'm gonna post this again. As weird as it is, this is an opportunity to test our ability to stop a killer virus. One day there will be a worse one. This one is already worse than any previous one since we have been around. I'm a proponent of shutting it all down except vital services to see if we can stop it in its tracks. "Letting it run its course" is a missed opportunity. Airlines need shut down. Mass transit shut down. 
It's also our ability to see on a small scale what happens to our stores during these situations.  People have gotten really comfortable thinking of the store as their own personal pantry that they could raid whenever they want for whatever they want.

Things are going to return to "normal" one day, and those are the days you should prepare for "these days".

I was pretty good on this one.  Pantry stocked, plenty of Tylenol/Advil/Robitussin/Zyrtec/etc.  But dang I did not see the Toilet Paper thing coming.  My wife keeps us overstocked in paper products even in the best of times, so she's feeling proud.

So, do we see more stocking up today  or do the grocers get a chance to recover?
I think it’s going to be hectic for a bit. A lot of folks are home from work today, and there are a lot of people who weren’t prepared and thought this wasn’t that big of a deal. Reality is setting in for a lot of people and they are going to panic. 

Tom Skerritt said:
And it’s pretty sad when the president of the US should just get out of the way and let the adults in the room handle the situation. We would come out of this better if he would quarantine himself for 3 months. He can take Pence with him too. 
It would help everyone to keep this garbage in the political whining forum, let’s keep this one for actual relevant info on the virus. Thanks. 

I don't have the option of wfh.  I decided I would leave about 20 minutes later than normal expecting less traffic.

I got to work with 15 minutes to spare.  I am glad that a lot of people and businesses have taken action.

My wife handed me a pocket sized tube of hand sanitizer before I left for work.  😍

So, do we see more stocking up today  or do the grocers get a chance to recover?
Unfortunately with everything closing but stores I think it's going to be jammed today.  I had Wednesday circled for an early morning visit.  While we're ok food-wise, Woodman's is the only one that carries Faygo diet grape soda around me - so I figured I'd grab a couple of cases.

Walmart did a smart thing (IMO) by changing their hours from 24/7 to a more traditional 6am-11pm to allow for stocking shelves.

"People" seeing empty shelves on TV gets their anxiety level to 11.

It's also our ability to see on a small scale what happens to our stores during these situations.  People have gotten really comfortable thinking of the store as their own personal pantry that they could raid whenever they want for whatever they want.

Things are going to return to "normal" one day, and those are the days you should prepare for "these days".

I was pretty good on this one.  Pantry stocked, plenty of Tylenol/Advil/Robitussin/Zyrtec/etc.  But dang I did not see the Toilet Paper thing coming.  My wife keeps us overstocked in paper products even in the best of times, so she's feeling proud.
Don’t take the Advil if you are infected.  Is thought to make it worse.  

I think it’s going to be hectic for a bit. A lot of folks are home from work today, and there are a lot of people who weren’t prepared and thought this wasn’t that big of a deal. Reality is setting in for a lot of people and they are going to panic. 
If/when they announce a nation wide shutdown we will see another run on things I would imagine.  Hopefully folks will stay calm but I don't expect they will.

At this point I don’t care if I get a vacation from this place. Jon, you are a loathsome individual. You spout off idiocy and get angry when people call you on it. You are a small, uncaring, appalling individual and I hope you are removed from this community. 
#### you and the horse you rode in on, #######.
Do not do this. This is not going to turn into us turning on each other. 

Jon - dial it back. We're taking this seriously here. 

Everyone be cooler to each other. Full stop. 

@jon_mx you keep appealing to facts, numbers, and data, but you seem to be ignoring all the data from other countries.  Look at Italy.  Do you not see how the US, even with our complete lack of testing, is tracking Italy, just with a time lag?
It is terrible over there.  Part of Italy problem on why they are the epicenter is their society is a lot more kissy and touchy over there.  

I think we're much closer to this than people realize. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're in complete shutdown in a few weeks.

We have to continue to do anything we can to flatten the curve -  it's inevitable that most of us are going to get it - and most of us will be fine but the rare few plus the elderly need hospitals and medical staff to be available to treat them.  Just stay home people!
I'm hoping that is not the case and these draconian measures, while not at the China and SK levels, stop it so we can see what it takes to stop something like this the next time it happens....and it will happen again.

Wow this is the 1st seeing this , going to search this out . My wife was told alternating between both 
I think that's the norm due to being able to take them every 4 hours and can alternate (so every 2) - don't quote me on that or the other but that's what I'm also hearing - take acetaminophen only I think is the suggestion.  Need one of the medical folks in here to confirm.

The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, who is a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

The health ministry added that patients should choose paracetamol – which is known in the US by the generic name acetaminophen and commonly by the brand name Tylenol – because “it will reduce the fever without counterattacking the inflammation”.

found this , thanks @zoonation

Users who are viewing this thread