What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

Giant had been without milk for more than 24 hours last night.

But Whole Foods had been fully stocked each day and was restocking again at 9am.  Have a feeling the big box stores and their robust supply lines may be the way to go.  Whole Foods/Amazon, Walmart, Costco, Target may be the way to go.
In two to three weeks, there’s likely to be too much given how much sticking up people have done.

Kids are being given homework and check-in times. The school system is delivering laptops to kids who need them. I'm not sure how they're dealing with lack of Wi-Fi. I wonder how kids from single parent homes and lower SES are doing. And those whose parents don't have work schedule flexibility. 

This is the 5th largest school district in the US, Miami-Dade Public Schools.
In what I believe is the largest public-school systems in the state (one of the suburban parishes near New Orleans) ... it's estimated that 50% of all students do not have home internet access. In 2020. I think their count excludes phones, but the point stands nevertheless.

If that 50% figure sounds high, consider local conditions -- probably the upper 25%-30% households (in income) around here send their children to private and parochial schools. Those students wouldn't be counted in the public-school figures.

Michigan closing all restaurants and bars at 3pm today until further notice.
Mayor of New Orleans is trying half-measures and the honor system to keep bars and restaurants closed. Restaurants asked to close at 9:00 and bars at midnight, all enforced by random police checks. Her hand will be forced soon, though.

This might have been a good strategy a week or two ago, I think you’re too late now.
Agreed.  Everyone's focus now should be avoiding this for the next 3-4 weeks at least.  With luck it will peak and start to fall back sometime around the end of April.  Maybe sooner if we get serious about self-isolating or forced quarantines nationwide.

Ok. Just feels like there are some in here that honestly want the worst so they can say I told you so. As Joe mentioned above or a page or two ago, that’s not important. Other than getting out of stocks, I got prepped well based on info in here. I’m more fortunate than most so stocks won’t be an issue in 5 years. Hopefully, my family makes it through OK. That’s all I care about now.
Agreed.  

Yeah, there won't be house-by-house enforcement, especially in rural and suburban areas.
While true, folks riding their bikes recreationaly in Europe are being ticketed.  They don't want people falling/crashing on bikes and getting hurt and straining their healthcare system even more.

Mayor of New Orleans is trying half-measures and the honor system to keep bars and restaurants closed. Restaurants asked to close at 9:00 and bars at midnight, all enforced by random police checks. Her hand will be forced soon, though.
This is what I'm talking about, tough decisions at the town/city level. The Fed's aren't going to approach the Mayor of NO and tell him/her they need to shut down Bourbon Street. That has to be done at the local level and it will absolutely piss people off and it absolutely should happen immediately. Messing around with half measures and honor systems isn't going to work. People are always going to push it until they simply can't anymore. If you take away the temptation, while not a popular decision, it does make the spread of this that much more difficult.

Michigan closing all restaurants and bars at 3pm today until further notice.
FWIW... Michigan drive-thrus and delivery are still open.

I'm not as up to date as most of you... can this be interpreted to mean that this virus is much less likely to be spread via means other than breathing in someone's "droplets"?

In my experience, when people are scared, they get snippy and jerky with each other. When people are dealing with a bona fide crisis, it brings out the angels of their better nature, and they focus only on what is important. I hope you all stay crappy and jerky- just not in here.

Got a message this morning that local school is closed, starting tomorrow. I am keeping my kid home today, anyway. Trying to juggle having somebody come stay with him, without using my MIL (60) during my work stretches. Feel conflicted because I know I am at a way higher risk of exposure than others. 

Wow. That’s fine Joe. It wasn’t my intent to be unhelpful, and I didn’t call anyone a virus, but since you seem to believe I am the source of the problem here I’ll just leave it alone. 

As I wrote earlier, thank you for your email. I read it to my family. They have no idea who you are or what this website is, but they also appreciated it. 
You spend more time here than any other member of these forums. With all due respect how could your wife or family not know what this website is?  What do they think you are always typing about?

If I am on for 10 minutes anywhere my wife is asking..what site are you on?

Last edited by a moderator:
The initial test run of massive numbers of people working from home has been a failure thus far.  Signed on very early today, did some early email work, then got knocked off my connection at 8am due to a "network issue" and haven't been able to get back on since.
Different strokes for different offices ... but one thing that helps is getting people used to only accessing the network when they have to save a file to a central server of if they have to transfer a file between the server and their computer at home (or vice versa). Staying on the network for 8 hours straight is likely not needed.

Different strokes for different offices ... but one thing that helps is getting people used to only accessing the network when they have to save a file to a central server of if they have to transfer a file between the server and their computer at home (or vice versa). Staying on the network for 8 hours straight is likely not needed.
Yep. I only rarely get on my VPN, just when I need to get to the server. All our software is cloud based so I access it like my clients do. Then again, I work completely remote and have been for 13 years now.

Hey guys, while you're out stuffing your carts full of excess calories that you probably don't need, buy a few things for your kids.  Board games, video games, footballs, anything that will help you and them enjoy the next few weeks.  If you can't afford it, throw it on a credit card.  National quarantines don't happen every year.  Treat it like a party to your kids and they will have a fun couple weeks.

ive been looking into butcher box.. how is it compared to a blue apron?
Very happy with it thus far. Organic/Grass Fed is what I always choose to eat.  Here is what I got in my last box for $149.00

(1) Ribeyes : 2 x 10 oz steaks
(1) Tri-Tip : 1 x 1.5 lbs tri-tip
(1) Sirloin Cap : 1 x 1.5 lbs sirloin cap
(1) Boneless Pork Chops : 4 x 8 oz chops
(1) Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon : 1 x 2 lbs pack
(1) Scallops : 1 lb bag

Plus I got these addons via different offers:

Free Ground Beef For Life of Membership - (2 lbs)
Bacon For Life - 1lb
WINGS FOR LIFE - 3lbs
DRUMSTICKS FOR LIFE - 5lbs

Very happy with it thus far. Organic/Grass Fed is what I always choose to eat.  Here is what I got in my last box for $149.00

Bacon For Life - 1lb
WINGS FOR LIFE - 3lbs
wow that sounds pretty good. do you find yourself going through all that in a  month?

Bacon For Life - 1lb
WINGS FOR LIFE - 3lbs
That looks like a good deal for the price. Quality good?

and what does the FOR LIFE, mean? You pay a certain discount for regular deliveries?

you are way off.  worst case, this kills 11+M Americans (assume population = 330M, 70% infection rate, and 5% fatality rate from those infected).  That would dwarf the #1 cause of death: heart disease, at 647k.
Dang. You can chop both of those rates in half and still only get down to around 2.75 million deaths.

That 5% CFR doesn't have to happen ... but more people need to understand curve-flattening and why it matters. And that COVID overwhelming a medical system also leads to extra deaths and life-long disabilities from delays in care for heart patients, accident sufferers, cancer patients, etc. Sometimes people can get too focused on COVID deaths alone.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Figured I'd let off some steam here as to how I'm feeling about the past week and what's to come.

1.  I'll admit it...I am pretty scared at the moment.  The pace at which this global situation has accelerated and the realiziation that the US is on a similar if not more dire path, is really what has me at Defcon-4.

2.  At the same time, I'm extremely mindful to maintain an exterior sense of calm with my family while at the same time trying to communicate in a 'Fauci type manner' the severity of the situation.

3.  2.5 weeks ago, I brought up to my wife that a forthcoming Spring Break trip in April was in danger...she scoffed at the notion.  Needless to say, we'll not be taking that trip.  However, the gap between her grasp of all that's going on seems to still be well behind mine.  I've kind of taken that to be a sense of our respective POV's.  I think I've been forward looking on this thing while she is in 'today mode'.  This has led to some tension between us.  Tough ****...I feel like I've earned some cred on being ahead of her on this.

4.  My kids are in 'roll their eyes' mode on this.  The SB trip was to celebrate my daughters HS graduation so she got to pick the destination.  She's was not exactly cool with my approach here.  Tough ****.  At the same time, the decision on the trip would have/will have been made for us anyway even if I didn't make the call.  At the same time, because my wife is not completely on board with my...focus on this, she's more silent than supportive on this front.

5.  Both my kids have jobs...my daughter at a daycare, my son at a trampoline park.  I'll be taking the lead in communicating their temporary resignations today.  With the daycare job, there certainly is a part of me that feels conflicted on this because I recognize there are people who require those services that don't have the flexibility to work from home.  However, I'll be the bad guy here...my daughter is still a kid with a limited world purview.  This is a decision I'll make for her, much as I try to allow her to learn independence - stakes are too high.

6.  I've liquidated most of my investments.  While I'm generally a 'time in the market v timing the market' investor...the circumstances by which we are operating under both stateside and globally across almost every aspect of humanity are unprecedented in the modern world.  Trusting investment vehicles to know what's coming hour to hour, much less long term seems mucho risky.  As such, I'm sitting this out...

7.  I've done the math on what we may be looking at moving forward in terms of # of cases and death rate - @shader got me following this trajectory.  Needless to say...if current pace levels don't subside, the first week of April could be devastating.

8.  One of my most vivid memories of 9/11 was actually 9/12.  We went out to our front porch at dusk, lit a candle and as my wife and I looked around, all of our neighbors were doing the same.  We remeber that day because 9/11 was a unifying event for us all - we knew what each of us as Americans were going thru.  This pandemic will end in due course...to the extent that we know what/when that will be, no one knows other than it WILL end.  And at that point, humanity will have a chance to have it's September 12th moment and hopefully we can all carry on with that understanding of each other and our life experience in mind.

We had a call with leadership in our organization this morning - video conference call with 20-25 people.  Someone suggested a virtual happy hour at 5pm each day we are WFH - I laughed at first but then decided it's actually kind of a cool idea.  One unintended side effect from this pandemic is that people are going to be more open to remote work, will find better ways to do remote work and be comfortable with something like an iHappyHour. 
My direct boss is really cool and let's us work from home to a point.  We've been ordered by him and those above him to work from home for at least 3 weeks and will likely turn into a longer period.  We just had a players only type meeting without management to agree to make sure we are getting our work done because this will prove to them it doesn't matter if we are home or in the office we can do our job and we can get more work at home days once it blows over.  

I'm not as up to date as most of you... can this be interpreted to mean that this virus is much less likely to be spread via means other than breathing in someone's "droplets"?
I'm a little lost on your question, GB. If you mean "Are these closures meant to curtail public-object touching and transmission thereof?" the answer is "Yes".

You were ahead of the curve.  Got an email from the boss about 9am telling us to work offline as much as possible to keep the network available for production issues.

I'm a little lost on your question, GB. If you mean "Are these closures meant to curtail public-object touching and transmission thereof?" the answer is "Yes".
I guess just trying to gauge the risk of the virus transferring on food/wrappers/bags/containers that may have touched or "coughed on" by restaurant workers or delivery folks.

While true, folks riding their bikes recreationaly in Europe are being ticketed.  They don't want people falling/crashing on bikes and getting hurt and straining their healthcare system even more.
Also, how can they prove that I'm not running to the grocery store?  Grocery shopping is a permissible reason to be out, and there's nothing saying that I have to drive there, right?

I guess just trying to gauge the risk of the virus transferring on food/wrappers/bags/containers that may have touched or "coughed on" by restaurant workers or delivery folks.
Ah. Well, the touching only matters if the handler coughed/sneezed/licked/nuzzled on their hands and did not 'wash up + don gloves' before handling your order. Straight-up coughing on your food shouldn't be happening, but ... that's a matter that speaks to each individual's risk tolerance.

Also, how can they prove that I'm not running to the grocery store?  Grocery shopping is a permissible reason to be out, and there's nothing saying that I have to drive there, right?
Not sure if this will happen here ... but in parts of China, there were basically "hall passes" that each household was given. I don't know if the police signed the passes or used some other means of enforcing trip limits.

How many of you have curtailed spending now??
I hate to be "that guy" but.....
We have estimates coming in to extend and screen in our front porch for this spring.. Cost is anywhere from $6,000 to $9,000.

But with all the uncertainty with how this is going to shake out we've decided to hold off on large purchases.
I want to think since I am in IT and our company sells applications and other items for businesses we should be ok.. But so much is unknown right now I can't justify spending that much on something that is not essential.

Which brings me back to my original question as I fear many are thinking the same thing... less buying leads to less money in the economy which leads to less buying, etc.. :oldunsure:  

While true, folks riding their bikes recreationaly in Europe are being ticketed.
Worth it.  :shrug:
Very doubtful it would come to this in America, but:

In a martial-law situation ... what would you do if you were caught and your bike was summarily impounded? @IvanKaramazov

Bike-riding outdoors seems like a pretty safe endeavor to me -- you're likely not right up near someone while doing it, and you're in the fresh air and sunshine (usually). Just never know when the sands will shift enforcement-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread