Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I’m more worried about the infected cook than the table 10 feet away. 

Please keep the politics out of here. There’s another forum to share your love/hate of trump 

I said I was exhausted by the politics and gave an example of the nonsense.  I didn't proclaim to love or hate trump.  I'm proud of our governor being a LEADER and will vote for the dude for whatever he does!  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I think I heard that the state is waiving the normal 1 week waiting period to apply for unemployment benefits ...can you imagine what those offices are going to look like tomorrow?  

CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!!

Fewer taxes being paid and gigantic hits to the benefits programs ...ouch looking forward.  

In many states you can apply online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LVMH to make disinfectant gels to aid French coronavirus fight (Reuters, 3/15/2020)

Quote

 

PARIS (Reuters) - Louis Vuitton owner LVMH (LVMH.PA) said on Sunday that its cosmetics unit would manufacture large quantities of hand disinfectant gel to help stave off a nationwide shortage across France as the coronavirus rapidly spreads.

“LVMH will use the production lines of its perfume and cosmetic brands ... to produce large quantities of hydroalcoholic gels from Monday,” LVMH said in a statement.

These gels will be delivered free of charge to the health authorities,” LVMH added.

 

Revlon? Colgate-Palmolive? Maybelline? Procter & Gamble? CoverGirl? Bath & Bodyworks?

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:
15 minutes ago, Doug B said:

It's going to be a matter of timing. Maybe the general rush in your area is over? Hard to think it hasn't started yet.

Lol. The hardest hit shelf here is the rubber aisle. Ky display is bare

No rush for any kind of groceries or any products at all in your area? Not sure what you're trying to convey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, the moops said:

Do you have to physically go to the unemployment office? Seems like you should be able to apply online. Especially now

New rules, new times. There will be an adjustment period, of course ... and a lot of intertia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, the moops said:

Do you have to physically go to the unemployment office? Seems like you should be able to apply online. Especially now

good point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, top dog said:

I'm in Cleveland area.  People are losing their minds about this situation.  It is going to absolutely crush the economy.  Seems like we either have the folks who believe this is real and we need to make drastic measures or those who believe it is fake news or a conspiracy.  I've heard that this is Trump keeping black people from voting and I've heard that it is a ploy by the WORLD to get Trump out of office.  

I am exhausted.  I can't take it anymore.  Thank God DeWine isn't messing around with this.  I honestly didn't like him but dude will have my vote for anything he ever runs for again. 

Same thoughts, has my vote for life. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

People are really doing this? 

For shame, sir. For. Shame.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

What are you guys doing about your maid?  Cancel but still pay her?

Probably giving my maid and butler a free vacation to a secluded tropical island; flown there on my private jet by my pilot, of course. My personal chef is staying here, though. 

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell blasts large gatherings despite virus ban (LSU's Daily Reveille, 3/15/2020)

Quote

 

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said she was “deeply disappointed” that people ignored a ban on large gatherings issued by Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards to try to stop the spread of coronavirus.

St. Patrick's Day revelers in kilts and green shamrocks packed a city street on Saturday, though the city's official parade had been cancelled, The Times-Picayune-New Orleans Advocate reports. New Orleans police later broke up a party at a bar. The gatherings occurred as Louisiana announced its first death from coronavirus — a 58-year-old Orleans Parish resident with underlying health problems.

 

Looking to see if there are more accounts of this impromptu party breakup. To all you "I'm going to keep on living my life!" people -- this is what's coming because you can't put your wants behind the needs of society. Individualism should not be an absolute stance.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

I am likely shutting down my restaurant today.  New Orleans is a bit of an epicenter.

Don't have to close!   Mayor hinting measures coming, but not yet.   We are limiting hours though.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

Don't have to close!   Mayor hinting measures coming, but not yet.   We are limiting hours though.

Do you have a virtual storefront selling merch and the like? I could certainly use a Tipsy’s T shirt or 3 right about now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grace Under Pressure said:

Do you have a virtual storefront selling merch and the like? I could certainly use a Tipsy’s T shirt or 3 right about now. 

God i wish....ive been in survival mode but my supply of shirts and hats diminish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Cantrell tweets big crowds being broken up, hash tags Bourbon Street as restrictions tighten (WWLTV.com, 3/15/2020)

The mayor hashtagged the French Quarter and Bourbon Street and showed a photo reminiscent of the "shutdowns" of the famous partying street at midnight on Mardi Gras.

In a move that seems to indicate crowds were being dispersed in the city's French Quarter and Bourbon Street, New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell tweeted that the NOPD was continuing to "enforce the ban on large gatherings all over the City."

She hashtagged the French Quarter and Bourbon Street and showed a photo reminiscent of the "shutdowns" of the famous partying street at midnight on Mardi Gras.

The move seemed to be confirmed by several tweets from people saying that the police had just shut down the street, including one that showed two police cruisers, side-by-side, with sirens on and lights flashing.

While it appeared to be a show of strength, the crowds seemed to merely move to the side and continue on their way.

 

Since the crowds can't stay away, though ... the French Quarter is going to end up being forcibly shut down, probably by rescinding of liquor licenses, street closures, and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to go to our local Costco today. I have to give them huge props. First, to all of the workers. Second - their organization skills were through the roof. The line at opening seemed like a thousand people. Carts stretched around the front, side, all the way around to the back. If people tried to cut they were adamant. Uh uh - get in line like everyone else. When it opened it was orderly. Separate line inside for paper goods and water. Thought we had no shot. They brought in 4 more pallets and we got toilet paper. Limit 1. Same with eggs, etc. No raw chicken in stock but plenty of ground turkey (I’m not eating much red meat these days)  Meat was scant at first but they kept bringing out more. Got coffee, lots of wine, vodka, snacks, produce, soups, canned vegetables like black beans.  Bunch of other stuff. Dog food and treats too. Feel ample supplies for a month.

Checkout was so orderly. Long lines on both sides but Costco was on it. Blocked middle aisles so nobody cut cut. 15 min max from the back of the store through checkout. Super impressed. Well done Costco. Always a fan, but for life now. People were in fine form too. Considerate. No fighting. 
 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

What are you guys doing about your maid?  Cancel but still pay her?

Keeping her for the time being.  She cleans once every other week and was just here on Wednesday so we have a little while to decide.

100% we will still pay her if we decide to cancel.  She's great, and it's hard as hell to get a good house-cleaner here.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched a highlight of the press conference of the IL gov.  He wiped his nose with his bare hand in the middle of his speech, then was grabbing the podium.  😕 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

Don't have to close!   Mayor hinting measures coming, but not yet.   We are limiting hours though.

Assuming your floor space is small and you don't seat all that many patrons. Try not to flout anything coming down from the governor and/or mayor ... you don't want to invite a customer-clearing visit from NOPD.

Does going take-out only make any sense at all for your place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, the moops said:

These should all be at 100%

So, let's play this out.  Woman who is living paycheck to paycheck works across town.  Can't afford a car, takes the bus to/from her hourly wage job at which she's fortunate enough to get healthcare.  She's a little behind on the bills but that's mainly because of the winter heat and knows that as the Spring arrives she'll be able to get caught up.  She is careful not to touch seat, pole or anything else while on the bus.  Sits 3-6 feet from nearest rider.  Washes her hands as soon as she gets to work and frequently throughout the day.  Practices social distancing at work.  Repeat for the ride home.

You telling her she needs to stay home for a month?  Look for another job?  Beg her boss who has no authority to let her stay home for a month?  What  if she works for UPS and people like her did that and your grandmother's heart medicine was backed up a week because of it?  It's easy to make blanket statements if you don't really consider ANY of the downstream consequences.  Which in this case leads to grandma dying and the woman losing her job, healthcare and home.  There are ALOT of people in this country that are a $500 unexpected bill away from catastrophic situation.  Is her landlord gonna give her the month off from paying rent?  cable company?  heat?  How do you envision all this happens instantly?

 

To be clear, we HAVE to flatten the curve and we should have started weeks ago, but this nonsense that the ENTIRE country can just shut down for a month is crazy.  Lots of people gonna get hurt if you try to do that.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IvanKaramazov said:

Keeping her for the time being.  She cleans once every other week and was just here on Wednesday so we have a little while to decide.

100% we will still pay her if we decide to cancel.  She's great, and it's hard as hell to get a good house-cleaner here.  

Thanks. My next cleaning is scheduled for Friday.  I think I’ll cancel (but pay).  I’m not sure what I’ll do in following periods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PA here.  Today I googled "how long is an ice cream cake good".  Our son's 7th birthday is next Saturday and he REALLY wants and ice cream cake (I couldn't be more proud).  Decided we better grab one today.  We weighed if that's extreme vs. the chances that Dairy Queen suddenly shuts down this week.  Figured it was best to play it on the safe side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Keeping her for the time being.  She cleans once every other week and was just here on Wednesday so we have a little while to decide.

100% we will still pay her if we decide to cancel.  She's great, and it's hard as hell to get a good house-cleaner here.  

Exact same. Including Wednesdays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

So, let's play this out.  Woman who is living paycheck to paycheck works across town.  Can't afford a car, takes the bus to/from her hourly wage job at which she's fortunate enough to get healthcare.  She's a little behind on the bills but that's mainly because of the winter heat and knows that as the Spring arrives she'll be able to get caught up.  She is careful not to touch seat, pole or anything else while on the bus.  Sits 3-6 feet from nearest rider.  Washes her hands as soon as she gets to work and frequently throughout the day.  Practices social distancing at work.  Repeat for the ride home.

You telling her she needs to stay home for a month?  Look for another job?  Beg her boss who has no authority to let her stay home for a month?  What  if she works for UPS and people like her did that and your grandmother's heart medicine was backed up a week because of it?  It's easy to make blanket statements if you don't really consider ANY of the downstream consequences.  Which in this case leads to grandma dying and the woman losing her job, healthcare and home.  There are ALOT of people in this country that are a $500 unexpected bill away from catastrophic situation.  Is her landlord gonna give her the month off from paying rent?  cable company?  heat?  How do you envision all this happens instantly?

 

To be clear, we HAVE to flatten the curve and we should have started weeks ago, but this nonsense that the ENTIRE country can just shut down for a month is crazy.  Lots of people gonna get hurt if you try to do that.  

Lots of people gonna get hurt either way. Many will pay the ultimate price. No easy answers.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Lots of people gonna get hurt either way. many will pay the ultimate peice. No easy answers.

Agreed.  And that's really what I was trying to convey.  There are no easy answers and no simple solutions that begin with "EVERYBODY...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Weebs210 said:

What are you guys doing if wfh isnt available and your work is not cancelling? I work downtown Houston...

It won’t be available for me. And I don’t know right now. One day at a time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A couple of our kids who wouldn’t normally be together with a triple feature of Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, and the Usual Suspects today. That’s a pretty decent triple bill. Now moving on to Goodfellas. 

Edited by Anarchy99
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 4:53 PM, comfortably numb said:

Porn mags gonna make a comeback if internet goes down....just saying 

#stickypages

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

PA here.  Today I googled "how long is an ice cream cake good".  Our son's 7th birthday is next Saturday and he REALLY wants and ice cream cake (I couldn't be more proud).  Decided we better grab one today.  We weighed if that's extreme vs. the chances that Dairy Queen suddenly shuts down this week.  Figured it was best to play it on the safe side.

:oldunsure:

Lasts in the freezer?? You’ll be good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

:oldunsure:

Lasts in the freezer?? You’ll be good 

It's ice cream.  I'll eat it for weeks, regardless.

ETA: It says 7 days.

Edited by ClownCausedChaos2
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Assuming your floor space is small and you don't seat all that many patrons. Try not to flout anything coming down from the governor and/or mayor ... you don't want to invite a customer-clearing visit from NOPD.

Does going take-out only make any sense at all for your place?

Im pushing togo, but since the bar is open they are letting people sit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

This is disconcerting, though at this point I don't know what to believe.

The scariest part about the 3,590/368 that Italy released today is that they are reporting a ten percent death rate out of the gate today.  

The thing is, when someone gets covid-19, it's supposed to be 2-3 weeks until their body gives out and dies.  So those numbers are just way too high. I think what we are seeing in Germany is a little closer to what we should see if we were getting accurate numbers.

So with Italy, they have to be missing a lot of infected patients.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

It won’t be available for me. And I don’t know right now. One day at a time 

Me too...so not looking forward to tomorrow. :(

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

It won’t be available for me. And I don’t know right now. One day at a time 

can you tell us why wfh isn't available for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

It's ice cream.  I'll eat it for weeks, regardless.

ETA: It says 7 days.

Yeah, I was being a smartass. My wife is an ice cream cake junkie. We’ve kept leftover and eaten it after a few weeks

And I don’t blame you at all for getting it now. Good move imo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

can you tell us why wfh isn't available for you?

I work construction 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Osaurus said:

People are really doing this? 

Yes, my friend shared with me his sister (who is a nurse) posted a pic of her and friends at a bar and she got a lot of negative comments on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

To be clear, we HAVE to flatten the curve and we should have started weeks ago, but this nonsense that the ENTIRE country can just shut down for a month is crazy.  Lots of people gonna get hurt if you try to do that.  

I agree with you that an absolute 100% shutdown of everything can't realistically happen. I do think, though, that a lot of people are going to get hurt at this point no matter what -- the path to a soft landing is no longer passable.

Edited by Doug B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

It won’t be available for me. And I don’t know right now. One day at a time 

THIS is the problem with the federal leadership on this.  Make a statement about how social distancing is the American thing to do and that EACH of us has a part to play.  If you can wfh, do it - America thanks you.  If you can't work from home, take as many precautions as you can - America depends on you and America thanks you.  If you can reduce your Covid footprint by 60% - awesome, America appreciates it........

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the economy certainly in for a nosedive, should I be taking some of my savings and stashing it in my mattress?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure if this is the right thread but the Fed is a slashing the interest rates to zero

cnn

eta: now the banner says “near zero”

🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Cowboysfan8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, joffer said:

:whoosh:

Shotgun marriage 

One purpose of such a wedding can be to get recourse from the man for the act of impregnation; another reason is trying to ensure that the child is raised by both parents. In some cases, as in early America and in the Middle East, a major objective was the restoring of social honour to the mother. The practice is a loophole method of preventing the birth of legally illegitimate children, or if the marriage occurs early enough, to conceal the fact that conception occurred prior to marriage. In some societies the stigma attached to pregnancy out of wedlock can be enormous, and coercive means (in spite of the legal defense of undue influence) for gaining recourse are often seen as the prospective father-in-law's "right", and an important, albeit unconventional, coming of age event for the young father-to-be.

 

Edit to add

Copied/pasted from wiki. Writing style is more pretentious and verbose than my own postings

Edited by cosjobs
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, shader said:

This is disconcerting, though at this point I don't know what to believe.

The scariest part about the 3,590/368 that Italy released today is that they are reporting a ten percent death rate out of the gate today.  

The thing is, when someone gets covid-19, it's supposed to be 2-3 weeks until their body gives out and dies.  So those numbers are just way too high. I think what we are seeing in Germany is a little closer to what we should see if we were getting accurate numbers.

So with Italy, they have to be missing a lot of infected patients.  

What is concerning is France said more than half of their 300 ICU patients are under 60 and today total ICU cases jumped to 400.

Edited by bradyfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.