What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

Bosses wife came in today and started screaming how disrespectful it was to tell them they shouldn’t be out, she went way over many lines, but the owner stayed home. 

worth it
Paul Crewe:   Hey Pop, the time you hit Hazen in the mouth, was it worth 30 years?

Pop:   For me it was.

Paul Crewe:   Then give me my damn shoe!

I know these are stressful times but Spock’s point seemed legit and not offensive.   It is America that expects total freedom and we will not have the compliance to the new rules or guidelines that a suppressed nation will.  
And you just stated it without the snarky 'murica reference and all that it implies.  I suspect that's all Joe is after...posters making their points without the extra jab.

Man, I haven't read this or digested it, yet. But, I don't ever want any part of running two patients on one vent, let alone 20 on 5.🤯

there are so many other factors to manage and fiddle with, besides Tidal Volumes, it would be a nightmare. Especially if these patients are already in ARDS. 
I suspect that even if (when) it reaches the point that sharing ventilators would be needed due to the number of patients, the decision will be made that it's too risky and untried, and it's better to have a good chance at saving one patient than a potential chance of losing two.

Then again, it will likely be at least tried somewhere, and may be found to work reasonably well - which would be fantastic news.

And you just stated it without the snarky 'murica reference and all that it implies.  I suspect that's all Joe is after...posters making their points without the extra jab.
Snarkiness is the least of our problems.  We still have a huge population that thinks this whole situation is a joke.  

Joe tries to run a good, clean forum and that is very respectful.   Sometimes though, you need a little jab to make a point and that little jab shouldn’t offend anyone.    

thoughts on ordering good?  we have restaurants staying open and deliverying food.  But not sure i want to risk it.  I suppose i could stick whatever it is in the oven for a hot second. 

I suspect that even if (when) it reaches the point that sharing ventilators would be needed due to the number of patients, the decision will be made that it's too risky and untried, and it's better to have a good chance at saving one patient than a potential chance of losing two.

Then again, it will likely be at least tried somewhere, and may be found to work reasonably well - which would be fantastic news.
Yeah, I could see it as a last-ditch effort in a mass casualty event, with otherwise healthy people that don't require a lot of vent support, but not ARDS cases.

thoughts on ordering good?  we have restaurants staying open and deliverying food.  But not sure i want to risk it.  I suppose i could stick whatever it is in the oven for a hot second. 
I wouldn’t order anything like a salad, and warm anything up that you get to be as safe as possible. 

I used to live on Advil. Found out I only have 1 kidney. Not anymore. 
My wife does, and she is a regular wine drinker. 800 mg probably 5-6 times a week. She gets migraines as well. I’ve warned her about this, though I didn’t realize it was more dangerous than Tylenol.

I’ve gone through regular periods where I will take 800mg before bed, sometimes 6-7 days in a row. I’m not really a big drinker though (except summers). It always seemed to help me sleep, and seemed to help with my restless leg syndrome (which is pull your hair out maddening at times). Had been trying to stop that before, and guess I should more so now.

From an NYT article:

But most experts, Bar-Yam included, do not consider the United States to have started the appropriate clock. Although cities are shutting down school systems and restaurants, social distancing is still a recommendation, rather than an enforced policy, as it is in Italy.

“It’s like a wrecking ball that’s going to hit the building, but it hasn’t hit yet,” Bar-Yam said. “Every day that we don’t do something, it’s getting worse, and by a lot.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/long-coronavirus-outbreak-shutdown-last-122221660.html

I'm sorely tempted as well to order take out while it's still available, for a variety of reasons.

But I keep asking myself this: if I somehow knew that someone involved in preparing, packaging, or delivering that food had Covid-19, would I order it?

If the answer is no, then I probably shouldn't order it now when I don't know that info.

Still tempted and mulling it over though...

Something getting kicked around on another board is the idea of putting multiple patients on one ventilator in dire circumstances (someone heard from "a friend in the medical field" that this was on the table for COVID patients). I was curious and did a quick bit of Googling to see what was written about this. Reminder: what follows is just what I found in two minutes, not an exhaustive search.

Splitting ventilators to provide titrated support to a large group of patients (PulmCrit blog, 3/15/2020. Link to blogger's credentials and caveats regarding content.)

The blog is dense -- I haven't read through it thoroughly and don't know all the terminology. The author presents many caveats and does not sell it as a cakewalk or something without significant risk. However, he does attempt a way to "map out" balanced use of five ventilators to treat 20 patients (scroll down about halfway down page to the sections titled "Bigger picture:  Five ventilators to provide personalized settings to 20 patients" and "Evidence?")

One of the commenters to that blog posted an account of the immediate intake of the mass casualties of the 2017 Las Vegas shooting (Emergency Physicians Monthly, 11/3/2017). An excerpt ...
Yikes. Sounds like a last ditch effort.
@bucksoh posted a "Laughing" like to your post ... and I don't know if he's laughing at your "yikes" comment or laughing at the prospect of hooking up multiple patients to one ventilator.

I would really appreciate if they would relax the stupid restrictions on my allergy medication, at least a little. February during a non leap year is the only time I can legally buy a single months supply. 

I'm sorely tempted as well to order take out while it's still available, for a variety of reasons.

But I keep asking myself this: if I somehow knew that someone involved in preparing, packaging, or delivering that food had Covid-19, would I order it?

If the answer is no, then I probably shouldn't order it now when I don't know that info.

Still tempted and mulling it over though...
If it is a place that will bring it to your car there is almost no risk if you follow some easy precautions.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
@bucksoh posted a "Laughing" like to your post ... and I don't know if he's laughing at your "yikes" comment or laughing at the prospect of hooking up multiple patients to one ventilator.
Who knows in this case, but he posts a   :lmao:   response to any post that's realistic about the current situation.

On an unrelated note, when someone you have on ignore makes a reaction to a post, you still see that reaction.

Wife asks what the poorer kids are going to do about provided meals as well as remote learning through computers, let alone being able to print items out or get books.
On my way out, but I can say that the public schools in this area are attending to all of this. Will post more later.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
NSAIDS usually aren't a problem for the liver...they can rarely cause damage, but only if you take a lot, typically in combination with other hepatotoxins (alcohol). They're much more likely to ding your kidneys and gastrointestinal tract.

Tylenol can cause liver failure, but requires huge doses, usually > 6g/day.

If you are young and otherwise healthy, both are fine if taken at the recommended dosage. If you are elderly with common medical problems (like high BP or diabetes), I'd pick Tylenol 9 times out of 10. Avoid both if you have liver disease or drink excessively.

As far as harming the immune response to COVID, I think that is purely theoretical.
Hey TX, thanks for all of your expertise, thoughts and general medical stuff.  It's been helpful to have your perspective over the last few weeks.

Apologies if this has been discussed...

https://kfor.com/health/coronavirus/drug-used-to-originally-fight-malaria-showing-promise-in-treating-coronavirus-oklahoma-medical-research-foundation-says/

Ani-malaria medication may provide treatment for and possibly prevent COVID19. 

chloroquine phosphate
Chloroquine and related medicines are being tested left, right and center. Nothing definitive, positive results reported here and there. Unsure if negative or neutral results exist (those wouldn't be trumpeted to the media).

Traditional, old-line media is not touching any chloroquine news yet. However, for those interested, you can dig in a little to the work Dr. Didier Raoult is doing in France (search Google News for his name and 'coronavirus'). All very preliminary, none yet replicated by other researchers.

I tried to do some math. It’s been a while. Please check my work. 

Based on data from South Korea, and assuming these numbers don’t change much:

81 deaths, 8,320 confirmed cases, total population of 51.5 million

Now extrapolate this out to the US:

567 deaths, 58,240 confirmed cases, total population of 350 million

What am I missing?

What am I missing?
I don’t think it’s wise to make a South Korea and USA comparison

No, it has been done before.

Kevin Durant tested positive for coronavirus, Durant tells @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium

Durant says he is feeling fine: "Everyone be careful, take care of yourself and quarantine. We're going to get through this."

Kevin Durant tested positive for coronavirus, Durant tells @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium

Durant says he is feeling fine: "Everyone be careful, take care of yourself and quarantine. We're going to get through this."
If you search twitter, the top rated reply is pretty funny. 

What am I missing?
Our testing 

Wife asks what the poorer kids are going to do about provided meals as well as remote learning through computers, let alone being able to print items out or get books.
Our school district is preparing free lunches in several areas around the county.  I think most counties in my area are doing the same.

Why? Because of how they are handling it vs. how we are handling it? Serious question. 
Their country is far smaller than the USA, and has a much smaller population.

They have done 270,000 tests.

They had an aggressive stance on the virus.

The USA isn’t testing at anywhere near those levels and isn’t quarantining at their level.

Last edited by a moderator:

What am I missing?
New York City alone will be lucky to not surpass the bolded numbers. 

Users who are viewing this thread