What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

Not sure if it is in your wheelhouse, but I have heard things about Type A being more susceptible and Type O potentially immune.  Any thoughts on those rumors?
You might be thinking of this study - Link. This was posted earlier in this thread. It doesn’t conclude that type O is immune. It concludes that type A is more susceptible to getting cv19 than normal, and that type O is less susceptible. 

I look forward to more carefully reading this tomorrow when I'm less tired.

At a quick scan, he's advocating caution with enacting broad sweeping policy using limited at best data to guide us.

The problem is, the lion is at the door right now - at least as best we can determine with the limited world wide data currently available.

I also added a new word from it:  hecatomb

The problem is, the lion is at the door right now - at least as best we can determine with the limited world wide data currently available.
It's strange that he reaches that conclusion without really weighing the merits of time delay to figure out who, why, when, how, what, but the merits of delay are hard to quantify.

I'm hoping for an XMas miracle whereby somebody makes a serendipitous discovery that turns out to be a vaccine or crucial information about how the virus acts, moves, etc.

There’s a twitter thread breaking this down where he said we will be able to come out in July but then have to suppress again after that. Just won’t happen here. People won’t go for it.  Zero chance. 

https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696?s=21
I saw that thread and it made me wonder about the model. I'm having problems wrapping my head around the idea that July would be like the initial wave. Is there any accounting for possible reduced R0 in summer? What about the idea of limited herd immunity?

Not trying to downplay the risks by any means but if the coming several weeks aren't the worst then that's pretty depressing. 

(And maybe that's just me reacting to one person's interpretation of a study.)

I saw that thread and it made me wonder about the model. I'm having problems wrapping my head around the idea that July would be like the initial wave. Is there any accounting for possible reduced R0 in summer? What about the idea of limited herd immunity?

Not trying to downplay the risks by any means but if the coming several weeks aren't the worst then that's pretty depressing. 

(And maybe that's just me reacting to one person's interpretation of a study.)
Not sure to which extent they are testing but the progress of COVID-19 in Malaysia isn't a great sign for hot and humid kills it

BBC article on Ibuprofen and COVID-19

So what do we know about ibuprofen and Covid-19?

There has been no research into ibuprofen and the new coronavirus (Covid-19).

But there has been some for other respiratory infections, suggesting ibuprofen is linked to more complications and more severe illness - although we don't know that the ibuprofen itself is causing this, according to Paul Little, a professor of primary care research at University of Southampton.

Some experts believe that ibuprofen's anti-inflammatory properties may "dampen" the body's immune response.

Prof Parastou Donyai at the University of Reading says: "There are many studies that suggest ibuprofen use during a respiratory infection can result in worsening of the disease or other complications."

But, she says, "I have not seen any scientific evidence that clearly shows a totally healthy 25 year old taking ibuprofen for symptoms of COVID-19 is putting themselves at additional risk of complications."

Assuming this is accurate - are we now saying/thinking that we may need to quarantine everyone (suppression) for 18 months?  I’m honestly not sure if I can get my head around that idea.  That’s horrific and ignores all the deaths that would come along with it. 
That's the same thread Cappy and I are talking about. His blanket statement that we can't totally lift suppression until vaccine is available is unlike anything I've heard uo to now. 

(And he adds vaccine is minimum of 14 months out.)

Assuming this is accurate - are we now saying/thinking that we may need to quarantine everyone (suppression) for 18 months?  I’m honestly not sure if I can get my head around that idea.  That’s horrific and ignores all the deaths that would come along with it. 
There was another article posted on these boards that had an article positing that the costs may not be worth whatever potential damage the disease could do. I can't find the link, though.

Tell that to the Malaysians, it doesn't seem like the message has gone through
There could be other factors such as Malaysia high population density. If the germ spread is smaller area, it doesn't matter if there are still people in that area.

New Yorkers should prepare for a “shelter-in-place” order in the coming days as local officials try to contain the fast-moving coronavirus that’s spreading throughout the U.S., New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday, adding that a decision will be made in the next 48 hours.

Full Article

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but... If you know anyone that suffers from depression or other mental health issues, please reach out to them even more during this crisis. The amount of panic that "regular" people are feeling is even worse for many of the people suffering from mental health issues. 

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/1 -    9,039 reported cases - 133 dead - USA 76 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/14 - 75,916 reported cases - 2,640 dead - USA 2,995 cases - 60 dead

3/15 - 88,508 reported cases - 3,302 dead - USA 3,667 cases - 68 dead

3/16 - 101,557 reported cases - 3,931 dead - USA 4,663 cases - 86 dead

3/17 - 117,300 reported cases - 4,739 dead - USA 6,439 cases - 109 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0
At @JAA's request, I made the sheet read-only.  I tried to PM you, but it says you're not receiving PMs.  Shoot me your email and I'll send you an edit invite.

There could be other factors such as Malaysia high population density. If the germ spread is smaller area, it doesn't matter if there are still people in that area.
Malaysia has only had two deaths.  I’m sure there will be more, but right now the impact there has been light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Early in the thread there were a few links suggesting that there was 2 different strains in Wuhan. Would I be mistaken in believing you could catch one strain after getting over the other?
Depends if the mutation resulted in a structural change which altered the binding site(s) for antibodies targeting the virus. Probably unlikely this "season", though a second wave of mutated infection caused the bulk of deaths in the 1918 Flu pandemic 
I believe that was true in most of the flu pandemics. Hopefully with the world being so aware of the initial outbreak we can lockdown the fall wave.

I apologize if it's been posted, but yesterday the US broke two thresholds. We are over 100 dead and every state now has a confirmed case. West Virginia was the last one.

I know locally they set up drive through testing days ago, is this happening everywhere yet and are we close to seeing the results from them? Once those are in and we ramp up will be interesting to watch from there. 

I know locally they set up drive through testing days ago, is this happening everywhere yet and are we close to seeing the results from them? Once those are in and we ramp up will be interesting to watch from there. 
It's in the beginning stages, New Mexico set up the first drive through. Are you in the Philly area? I haven't heard of any in Texas yet.

It's in the beginning stages, New Mexico set up the first drive through. Are you in the Philly area? I haven't heard of any in Texas yet.
In VA, multiple local hospitals have had it set up last few days. Expecting numbers to spike but haven’t seen an update. 

Aren't the drive through testing still going to be triaged? If so, it'll mean that the rules for the triage will determine the size of the holes in the "net" so to speak. If they only e.g. test people with travel history, specific symptoms and exposure to existing cases then the "catch" looks different from if e.g. they only restrict on basis of the symptoms

Interestingly, up here online ordering seems to be the surest/easiest way to get TP. I have an order in with the local grocery store and while my pickup isn't until Thursday afternoon, they make sure the full order is fulfilled and they've waived the usual charge associated with the "click and collect" service (we've done groceries this way for a while even pre-covid because, laziness).
I think this needs to be adopted. 

I have plenty of TP and staples to carry me out about a week. If I needed to go a 2nd week i could live off pasta and cereal. 

-But if they would just tell folks to order online, even if it took 2-3 days but your order was FULL or complete then folks would stop panic mode, maybe not everyone but a lot of folks would calm down. 

For all the doom and gloom associated with catching this why does every celebrity or sports figure I see interviewed that has it, they all seem perfectly fine?

I feel like the Swine Flu vaccine we were lining up for back 10-11 years ago came out quicker than 18 months.  IDK, I keep rooting for the immunologist and vaccine makers to science the #### out of this ASAP.  I feel like now's the time try that new technique that I'm sure someone has been working on.  :nozombiesthough:

Stopped at Wegmans this morning to get some “fresh” produce

Fruits and vegetables really picked over. Worst I’ve ever seen it there as far as quality easily.

Seafood and fresh meat counters closed, may have been because it was before 8 am, not sure. No bagged bread. Got a fresh loaf from the bakery.

Store was mostly empty of customers

Stopped at Wegmans this morning to get some “fresh” produce

Fruits and vegetables really picked over. Worst I’ve ever seen it there as far as quality easily.
Seafood and fresh meat counters closed, may have been because it was before 8 am, not sure. No bagged bread. Got a fresh loaf from the bakery.Store was mostly empty of customers
I don't think I've ever known where you're at, GB. If it's personal info you don't want to share, that's cool, but I'm wondering where you're experiencing this. 

For all the doom and gloom associated with catching this why does every celebrity or sports figure I see interviewed that has it, they all seem perfectly fine?
I wonder how they’re getting tested?

Everything I’m Reading says it’s difficult to get a test unless you’re very very sick?

You cover your washcloths (and/or your bars of soap) in ####? Then rub it all over yourself with body wash? 

That's about the least sanitary thing I've ever heard of that still involves bathing in some way. 

What do you do with your shower #### washcloths? Laundry with the rest of your stuff? Wring it out with soap before you get out?

Think about how disgusting that is all the way around. 
What did people ever do before the invention of TP?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JAA

Users who are viewing this thread