Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

3 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

200 nurses furloughed in NY/CT over virus exposure

Two hundred nurses employed by an interstate health system in New York and Connecticut have been out of work since potentially being exposed to coronavirus patients, a report said.

The health care workers from Nuvance Health will remain sidelined until they can obtain coronavirus tests to determine if they were infected, according to the Hartford Courant, citing Gov. Ned Lamont.

Lamont was discussing the dire situation at Danbury Hospital, which he said was “at capacity,” on MSNBC’s “All In With Chris Hayes” when he made the shocking revelation.

“Well I can tell you, Danbury Hospital is already at capacity. And they have 200 nurses on furlough because they were in contact,” Lamont told host Chris Hayes.

I wonder if that's because they have none or because they're using them all on patients?

On 3/14/2020 at 2:55 PM, matuski said:

I have more idea what I am talking about than most... being infectious diseases are a huge part of my business.  As demonstrated lastnight, certainly count yourself among those.

But to hammer it home.. South Korea has a population of 51 million. 

51 million tests?  :lmao:

No.

Care to elaborate the infectious disease portion of your business?

21 minutes ago, [icon] said:

BLOOD TYPE BIAS?

People with blood group A have a significantly higher risk for acquiring COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O has a significantly lower risk for the infection compared with non-O blood groups.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.20031096v1?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Very interesting study... not sure how much stock to put in it, but it seems solid. 

O POS 4 LIFE :gang2:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Otis said:

I haven’t watched and I probably should check it out tomorrow, but what the heck are ESPN and sportscenter airing all day right now??  There are no sports to cover??

NFL free agency.  Tom Brady.  Dak Prescott.

1 hour ago, Politician Spock said:

The average age of those that died will be higher earlier in the process because younger people can fight the infection longer. 

Anyone making conclusions right now based on data are making misinformed conclusions. We haven't experienced this virus enough to properly observe it. 

Yet here we are with over 300 pages. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, [icon] said:

All of my nurse / doc friends who were cavalier beforehand are now changing their tune and resigned to the fact that they have some brutal weeks/months ahead. 

Exactly how my hospital is now reacting. Was kinda a running joke before. Now oh shat. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Otis said:

Also, what are folks doing with domestic help?  There’s an older woman who used to help with the kids several days a week, and who now just comes one day a week. We are concerned to have her around the kids because she’s older, so we’ve told her not to come, but so far my wife is still paying her. Do we just continue to pay her indefinitely?  I don’t see another way, as she is someone who relies on this money to live. 

We just have a housekeeper who comes every other week.  For now, our plan is business-as-usual.  In the event the we ask her to skip a couple of visits or she asks to stay away, we'll pay her anyway.  It's a trivial impact on our budget and we would never be able to find as good a housekeeper as her.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

Yet here we are with over 300 pages. 

Most of that is people helping other people to prepare for it, and others arguing that "it's like the flu". 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Quite the opposite. Trainees at my hospital aren't allowed to work with COVID patients.

If I remember accurately the exchange between comfortably numb and I, he was thinking of having newbies backfill into non-COVID work to replace experienced staff assigned to COVID duty.

2 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

and others arguing that "it's like the flu". 

speaking of which, haven't seen Shady or Sheik up in here lately - anyone?

29 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:
On 3/10/2020 at 8:55 PM, bucksoh said:

Been in respiratory 23 years and not worried at all.

I am curious from you and others who are in the field - 1 week later is this still your general feeling?

Seems like even people who are working in the hospitals and in various health fields aren't in consensus on this

KP, go click on Tanner’s likes icon (his long post in previous page) to get bucksoh’s current feelings on the subject.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ned said:

I wonder if that's because they have none or because they're using them all on patients?

From what I'm hearing, it's lack of tests.  But that's second-hand via a vendor who works with Nuvance.

• Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, [icon] said:

BLOOD TYPE BIAS?

People with blood group A have a significantly higher risk for acquiring COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O has a significantly lower risk for the infection compared with non-O blood groups.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.20031096v1?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Very interesting study... not sure how much stock to put in it, but it seems solid. 

Haven't read the article, but it's true for other infections, specifically norovirus. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Capella said:

Btw I took most of the day off from this thread yesterday and felt so much better. Highly advise. I went fishing in red dead redemption after work lol. 

I did similar last night. Bought fifa 20 for my son who still doesn’t like soccer. Liverpool vs Manchester United an epic tournament with my son.  After losing 1-0 on a DeGea masterclass, beat him two straight due to his going down to 9 men in both games.

I must say, after that and a good night of sleep, I’m feeling much more positive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

If I remember accurately the exchange between comfortably numb and I, he was thinking of having newbies backfill into non-COVID work to replace experienced staff assigned to COVID duty.

This seems silly to me. Corona is novel with few treatment options. People that have expertise in other areas should stay in other areas. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Doug B said:

It would make more sense for them to take COVID patients, as they are generally younger and healthier than more experienced docs. And we're pretty much all making up standards of care on the fly for COVIID at this point anyway.

Edited by Terminalxylem
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, [icon] said:

BLOOD TYPE BIAS?

What has two thumbs and an O Negative blood type?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tamales said:

I understand what we're doing right now but at what point do we say "ok we can't shut down our economy anymore. We will just have to live with this". Is there some magic number? I feel like anything longer than a month will be too detrimental to our economy and to our children and to our psyches. 

I really don't know but my guess is once they feel they've flattened the curve enough to not overwhelm the healthcare system they will lift some of the restrictions.  That's the crux of the situation right now.  We will have to learn to live with this at some point but we haven't reached that yet due to it being so contagious.  And while COVID-19 is definitely the scariest virus I can recall experiencing, imagine what would happen if we get one even deadlier.  We are watching the world come to a standstill in areas now - I don't even want to think what would happen in that scenario.

9 minutes ago, Doug B said:
34 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Quite the opposite. Trainees at my hospital aren't allowed to work with COVID patients.

Think you got your FFA'ers mixed up.  @comfortably numb isn't a healtcare expert (unless you consider hair gel).

• Laughing 4

6 minutes ago, shader said:

I did similar last night. Bought fifa 20 for my son who still doesn’t like soccer. Liverpool vs Manchester United an epic tournament with my son.  After losing 1-0 on a DeGea masterclass, beat him two straight due to his going down to 9 men in both games.

I must say, after that and a good night of sleep, I’m feeling much more positive.

Might buy the new mlb game today. Never played it but it looks fun 

2 minutes ago, Doug B said:

KP, go click on Tanner’s likes icon (his long post in previous page) to get bucksoh’s current feelings on the subject.

You know, I thought his post was ridiculous when I read it.  It just so happens it was the last thing I read before I fell asleep.  I got to this weird half sleep/dream state where I started playing out the “what if he’s right” scenarios.

I do think many people are struggling to see how bad this could be for economy.  Almost everyone assumes the economy will come roaring back.

But if it doesn’t, and if businesses close and more people start to lose their jobs, more people will have the attitude of Tanner.  Imagine working your whole life for something, then it gets taken away for something that has killed less people worldwide than many maladies.  

That’s the struggle, getting people to understand why it’s not a media hoax and how devastating this could be if left unchecked.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, tamales said:

I understand what we're doing right now but at what point do we say "ok we can't shut down our economy anymore. We will just have to live with this". Is there some magic number? I feel like anything longer than a month will be too detrimental to our economy and to our children and to our psyches. 

We disagree on a lot of stuff, but I'm with you on this. We'll see if Ohio, Minnesota, Washington, etc lockdowns can stop the spread. At some point we have to reopen for business in some manner. The old pictures and videos we see of the depression and its soup lines, crowds of men waiting for any kind of work, etc are going to look like a picnic compared to what's coming if we shut down for too long. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tamales said:

We need to do everything we can to try and stop this in its tracks so we have a blueprint for the next one and there will be a next one. The next one might kill 50% and if we have no plan, we got a lot of dead bodies laying around. Don't think it's not possible and only happens in the movies. 

From the Shelby City Health Department: https://www.facebook.com/shelbycityhealthdepartment/posts/1487934361355690?__xts__[0]=68.ARBE2QYORTvYDW0zLz_GEib8g89vYk6PpFIJUCuciKs603vsEjjf6M7-VGWOrLgHHTSo8FhXAhdOk2agpixCXDj2MQ7u6jT7fDf9HqVFvzESPH7L8OyD3Koz_PecEu7J9siffQPUY4-xZdLevmUJ9W_ydDmYfaKeZFPHKgkFP0IITIR-meUWXswPR5ro6yuBGtgxkTnpMIy9BlpkA9SOfgQjp3ki3Sc-zjPObqNAPf2MZ-6iGI055FFBdKTeC1XKm74L5S4xfSfsW6b33NJO3d1Z3cp6C5ZMSuk8julb8Uh2ZBCxTOhbF8wAK-GkTeC-5Ka1P2n2wTvUvmuVnUCTIA&__tn__=K-R

WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, PLEASE READ:

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks...

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

Stop and Shop chain, 60 and over now has early shopping hours.

Yes, here is a link to news report for Massachusetts stores.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My 92 year old grandma made an interesting comment yesterday. She is in the midst of congestive heart failure and has colon cancer. She will not be around to see a vaccine. My grandfather is 95, took a hard fall last month, also has congestive heart failure and Parkinson’s. This is very likely their last Spring anyway. If they get the virus, they will likely not survive it.

Grandma, still sharp as a tack, said they were born into a depression, lived through World War II as young people, and will go out on a pandemic. “May you live in interesting times.”

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Sad 4

49 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Already happening around Tampa voluntarily, but the mandatory stuff should be kicking in shortly. 

Things were pretty busy in south beach last night.  Few of us on the beach this morning watching the sunrise.  Trying to make the best of it 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Capella said:

Might buy the new mlb game today. Never played it but it looks fun 

It’s the war of our generation, and I’ll be trying to level up my create a player striker 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, shader said:

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/1 -    9,039 reported cases - 133 dead - USA 76 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/14 - 75,916 reported cases - 2,640 dead - USA 2,995 cases - 60 dead

3/15 - 88,508 reported cases - 3,302 dead - USA 3,667 cases - 68 dead

3/16 - 101,557 reported cases - 3,931 dead - USA 4,663 cases - 86 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

fyi if you guys aren't looking at the spreadsheet @Ned created, you're missing out.  I sent the spreadsheet to a friend last night and he instantly thought I was an excel genius.  Had to tell him an internet buddy created it. 

• Like 5
  • Laughing 2

On 3/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, NotSmart said:

Testing question:

If you get tested for Covid-19, and have already had the virus in the past, do you get that info provided to you in the test results?

no

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DocHolliday said:

The people that still believe that this virus is a joke or just a cold proves yet again that some people are stupid.   It is pathetic that some people are complaining that they can’t drink beer at the bar or that they can’t feed their already chubby bodies more fat from their favorite restaurants.    People should be upset that this virus is killing folks and wrecking the economy which is going to financially devastate many families.  

I hope that this thing teaches us all to be more compassionate and less selfish.    We need the lesson and are getting it the hard way.   

I don't think this virus is a joke - however, that said, I think a lot of people are currently starting to go way overboard in terms of panic level about it due to stress and fears created by online hysteria and the modern 24/7 news cycle. For example, hundreds of people trying to buy shotguns all of a sudden like we're about to hit Mad Max territory is taking things too far.

Edited by Possum
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

Most of that is people helping other people to prepare for it, and others arguing that "it's like the flu". 

And of course lots of silly anecdotal stories from alleged doctors shared via facebook. And countless pages of death rate discussion. 

And tons of other stuff. But heaven forbid we discuss actual data coming out if italy as reported by the ISS. 

4 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

no

Is there a way potentially in the future, where this can be done? Testing for antibodies I think?

On 3/14/2020 at 6:30 PM, NotSmart said:

I was more wondering if someone had already had the virus and recovered from it and was symptom free now, would the test show that, and would the patient be told that info?

Nope. 

Acute test = looks for viral RNA. This is what is being used to diagnose active infection.

Recovered test = looks for antibodies produced in response to prior infection. Not widely available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

We just have a housekeeper who comes every other week.  For now, our plan is business-as-usual.  In the event the we ask her to skip a couple of visits or she asks to stay away, we'll pay her anyway.  It's a trivial impact on our budget and we would never be able to find as good a housekeeper as her.

you're a good dude, IK 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jobber said:

Is there a way potentially in the future, where this can be done? Testing for antibodies I think?

Yes. IgG antibodies targeting the virus. Not really helpful except 4 research purposes.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

Hope Breakfast Bar in St Paul MN. Hopefully he won't go bankrupt as he plans to go on till the end. Families tight on cash or quarantined. About 50 deliveries are made a day by volunteer drivers. How can he do it? Says how can we not do it.

On their website you can donate directly :thumbup:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Possum said:

I don't think this virus is a joke - however, that said, I think a lot of people are currently starting to go way overboard in terms of panic level about it due to stress and fears created by online hysteria and the modern 24/7 news cycle. For example, hundreds of people trying to buy shotguns all of a sudden like we're about to hit Mad Max territory is taking things too far.

And I think many people are still pretty chill about it all because the overall cases and deaths are still fairly low.  In Florida, for example, there are 160 confirmed cases (granted, this will go up significantly once more testing is available) and I believe this 160 includes those that have recovered or passed away.  Overall, I think the US deaths from Covid-19 is still under 100.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

After reading these threads , I now see why we have a toilet paper shortage. Sheesh.

Go over to the chive and check out some of those pictures.  Some people really suck.

9 hours ago, mr roboto said:

We will be shut down for business for minimum 12 days. We will pay our staff fully for hours they planned to work. Gonna cost us about 8,000 - 10,000. 

Cant handle that for more than a few weeks. Maybe 1 month before we start to run low on money. 

What is your business?  Do you have a website?  Can I buy a gift card?

Brady news has me going back to bed

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, mr roboto said:

We need to think about the ####### #### storm that a national economic shutdown would cause.

2 weeks of no retail consumer spending?  1 month? Do you understand what this could do?

50% or so live paycheck to paycheck. My 8 employees are afraid of missing one paycheck. 

Most of us FBGs  have savings/investments/ WFH jobs. Many people don’t. 

Universal back income back in play?

41 minutes ago, shader said:

You know, I thought his post was ridiculous when I read it.  It just so happens it was the last thing I read before I fell asleep.  I got to this weird half sleep/dream state where I started playing out the “what if he’s right” scenarios.

I do think many people are struggling to see how bad this could be for economy.  Almost everyone assumes the economy will come roaring back.

But if it doesn’t, and if businesses close and more people start to lose their jobs, more people will have the attitude of Tanner.  Imagine working your whole life for something, then it gets taken away for something that has killed less people worldwide than many maladies.  

That’s the struggle, getting people to understand why it’s not a media hoax and how devastating this could be if left unchecked.  

Yes, this will be a very tricky balance. This is going to be an economic catastrophe. If the shutdown results in retailers (local and national) that were already on edge going completely out of business, restaurants and other service businesses going under, capital spending coming to halt which causes even otherwise financially strong businesses to need to lay off much of their staff - that's not going to come back quickly. It's not just a matter of reaching summer and everything will be all right. The economic consequences will linger. The longer we're shut down, the worse it will be and the longer the economic effects will linger. But loosening restrictions will result in more cases and more deaths, no getting around it. There won't be one right answer for how to balance this.

18 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

After reading these threads , I now see why we have a toilet paper shortage. Sheesh.

Pretty sure my friend has had it. It’s no joke. He’s 37 and very healthy. He missed 2 weeks of work and was sleeping like 14 hours a day. He’s on his 3rd week of it and finally got rid of the fever but still doesn’t have the energy to go for a jog. 

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

And I think many people are still pretty chill about it all because the overall cases and deaths are still fairly low.  In Florida, for example, there are 160 confirmed cases (granted, this will go up significantly once more testing is available) and I believe this 160 includes those that have recovered or passed away.  Overall, I think the US deaths from Covid-19 is still under 100.

Yesterday the US reported 18 new deaths, we will likely be over 100 today or tomorrow.

• Sad 1