What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

I understand. Guess I’m just fed up. Sorry didn’t mean to jump on you. 
Full tank is probably a good idea. Maybe people checking things like furnace filters and other easy preventative maintenance isnt such a bad idea either. I know we are getting close to furnaces being shut down soon because of weather but a furnace filter being clogged can trigger a furnace code. 

Full tank is probably a good idea. Maybe people checking things like furnace filters and other easy preventative maintenance isnt such a bad idea either. I know we are getting close to furnaces being shut down soon because of weather but a furnace filter being clogged can trigger a furnace code. 
I understand a full tank is a great idea and we have one but there is absolutely no way that’s what he meant by that post. 

Italy reports 4,207 new cases of coronavirus and 475 new deaths, raising total to 35,713 cases and 2,978 dead
Yikes ...that's concerning.  Has @Ned updated his spreadsheet?  I don't see every page here and might have missed the last update.  

With all the precautions of recent days, I'm surprised to see those numbers in Italy.  Is that us (times some factor) in a couple of weeks?

I dunno, man. I was trying to lighten the mood but I guess I underestimated the pucker factor.
Thanks Folks.

I think it's a couple of things.

Most people are about 1% as funny as they think they are.

Most people are about 1% as good a communicator as they think they are.

I know everyone is tense. 

I totally get the mood lightening. But unfortunately, the thing about dogs not being able to trasmit the disease and the "WHO let the dogs out" are rare. 

Much more common is the attempt that falls way flat and feels like trying to joke when it doesn't help.

We've all been guilty of this. Me too. I'd rather this thread be community and err on the side of boring vs the other. Thanks.

Let's all please keep our focus on a couple of things:

1. Doing our best to show grace to others who may not be acting like their normal self.

2. Being super clear on what we post and being super clear with links to back up what we're saying if we're relaying information. If you don't have a link and you heard it somewhere, say that. 

3. Call out the good stuff when you see it. I'm sure I'm not alone in tiring of the non stop negative.  It helps immensely to hear good stories when you see them. 

4. Just be as helpful as you can. 

Thanks. 

Woah - that's quite the escalation after the last few days were holding pretty steady around 3500 & 350. :(  
Still 3 straight days of 13% increases, dropping from rates in the 20's recently. Hopefully continues down.

I wish I could get Word-of-God for-sure advice on this. Most online sources (to include traditional news sites, not Twitter, Reddit, etc.) have reported to avoid ibuprofen (Advil, etc.). Many accounts of the French health minister saying this to the French masses.

Yet elsewhere, including in this thread, folks in the medical field said that the ibuprofen thing is probably untrue, and that taking ibuprofen is OK and does not increase one's risk of contracting COVID. Not sure what to believe :(  

And I know many scoff at this kind of stuff ... but there's similar confusion out there about elderberries and zinc. I know neither have rock-hard science behind them (cf. Vitamin C), but anecdotal evidence of their positive effects seem to be legion. At worst, a good placebo effect is worth something.
I don't think anyone is saying ibuprofen makes you more likely to contract COVID. They are suggesting ibuprofen makes infections, in general, worse. I still think this is more of a theoretical concern, though I haven't taken the time to search the literature. A quick google search doesn't yield anything convincing. 

ETA Few herbs/supplements have been studied rigorously. That doesn't mean they don't work, but they might not and some pose a risk for toxicity/side effects, just like any conventional medicine. Vitamin C has some data for military recruits during basic training, and a decent vitamin D article was posted by Culdeus pages ago. Just eat a balanced diet with a lot of fruits and veggies.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are going on ten days of lockdown in Italy.  I would expect the numbers to start falling soon.  That being said, I listened to a podcast the NYT put out where the expert said that China took the people that tested positive away from their families, as lockdowns didn't work (people just spread the virus to the rest of their families).
Yes

And we are sending positives home to “self quarantine”

Any new news?  I'm expecting a shelter in place order any moment in NY, if not today, has to come tomorrow.  Readying our business for that; trying to figure out ways to stay sane for the long haul while shut in with the kids.  What a time, eesh.

We are going on ten days of lockdown in Italy.  I would expect the numbers to start falling soon.  That being said, I listened to a podcast the NYT put out where the expert said that China took the people that tested positive away from their families, as lockdowns didn't work (people just spread the virus to the rest of their families).
They leveled off the last couple of days, but worse news today:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1240325975239516160?s=20

I revisited a thread on Reddit, tracking the comparable increase in numbers between Italy in the U.S. Someone updated the chart recently, and we are now tracking higher with 7443 cases. Like before, I don't know if the data in the second link would reflect the 17th or 18th on the chart. New York and California also tracking similarly with the daily increase in total cases.

https://i.redd.it/knvop56063n41.jpg

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm surely mis-remembering something ... but I remember back in my waiting-tables days how some of the waitresses would get tired of waiting tables and hit upon nursing as a career. So they'd start taking nursing course ... and it sure seemed like they were going from start to finish in two years or less. A lot of times, it seemed like they were only taking 8 to 12 months, but those might not have been R.N. programs.

Not saying it's not hard work and a lot of book-learning to build a broad "prepared for anything" nursing knowledge base (not to mention the essential stuff you only learn on the job). But it seems like there should be some slack, in a dire-emergency situation, to take on people with very narrow, focused, partial nursing training. And once again ... fully acknowledged that there will be many lack-of-experience foul-ups and people will die. For many, though, it could be a choice between "bad" newbie care and no care at all.
Nursing school is short, but critical care nursing requires additional training/on-the-job experience.

Yikes ...that's concerning.  Has @Ned updated his spreadsheet?  I don't see every page here and might have missed the last update.  

With all the precautions of recent days, I'm surprised to see those numbers in Italy.  Is that us (times some factor) in a couple of weeks?
We usually update the spreadsheet at around 7pm at night.  That gets us through Europe and most of the USA announcements.  

The reason the numbers are still rising is that even with strict quarantine practices, there are still going to be people that were asymptomatic or in the incubation period for quite some time.  It takes awhile for the quarantine to take effect.

From what I can tell, China began their quarantine procedures in late January. It took about 2-3 weeks for them to start to see their numbers slow down.

Any new news?  I'm expecting a shelter in place order any moment in NY, if not today, has to come tomorrow.  Readying our business for that; trying to figure out ways to stay sane for the long haul while shut in with the kids.  What a time, eesh.
I dunno but Cuomo was awesome today 

Just laying everything out in a cool, calm, and collected manner. 

"it" = information
Just to bring a smile -

remember that one Shark Pool post some years ago where a guy (hopefully not you, @JaxBill  :unsure: ) posted a response to somebody and went on and on about how he and his group tracked football players while they were still in high school and drafted guys before they even got out of college.  I think he dramatically used the "'it' = information" line as part of his long-winded reply to the other poster.  Good times.

Please express your gratitude for these workers!

We have one in our household and they are being run ragged. Huge orders that they are walking miles in store each day to fill for little pay and a zero tipping policy. She is finding herself near her breaking point with the stress of it all.
Zero tipping policy?  Dumb

Just to bring a smile -

remember that one Shark Pool post some years ago where a guy (hopefully not you, @JaxBill  :unsure: ) posted a response to somebody and went on and on about how he and his group tracked football players while they were still in high school and drafted guys before they even got out of college.  I think he dramatically used the "'it' = information" line as part of his long-winded reply to the other poster.  Good times.
The poster is still around in the FFA. Shall we dox him?

He's mellowed out quite a bit since his Shark Pool years :)  

The infection rate has been more closely matching that of Italy's.  We were on an 11 day lag but now we our infections are 10% higher than what Italy's were 11 days ago.
I would not be so sure - we are days behind in testing capability. We are likely to see a spike in infections in the next 4-5 days as we finally catch up on testing. I.e those infections already exist, just not noted. 

He's been like this every day.  I never paid a whole lot of attention to him before, but he's great.  Cuomo for President at some point.  Guy is a steady hand on the wheel.  
He's already 62. He may have missed his slot

I'm surely mis-remembering something ... but I remember back in my waiting-tables days how some of the waitresses would get tired of waiting tables and hit upon nursing as a career. So they'd start taking nursing course ... and it sure seemed like they were going from start to finish in two years or less. A lot of times, it seemed like they were only taking 8 to 12 months, but those might not have been R.N. programs.

Not saying it's not hard work and a lot of book-learning to build a broad "prepared for anything" nursing knowledge base (not to mention the essential stuff you only learn on the job). But it seems like there should be some slack, in a dire-emergency situation, to take on people with very narrow, focused, partial nursing training. And once again ... fully acknowledged that there will be many lack-of-experience foul-ups and people will die. For many, though, it could be a choice between "bad" newbie care and no care at all.
They probably were taking a Nursing Assistant program. Those are the quick turn programs completed in months. To get a legit nursing degree, it takes 3 years (unless there was a fast track two year program that went non-stop). They are changing the requirements these days to make is a four year program to become an RN.

This is annoying in so many ways. Self quarantine implies it is voluntary. We should never even use that phrase. It should be "mandatory quarantine".
Either way, unless they live alone and stay completely isolated (unlikely) they’re infecting their family members and likely whoever else is coming in and out of their home 

The infection rate has been more closely matching that of Italy's.  We were on an 11 day lag but now we our infections are 10% higher than what Italy's were 11 days ago.
I would not be so sure - we are days behind in testing capability. We are likely to see a spike in infections in the next 4-5 days as we finally catch up on testing. I.e those infections already exist, just not noted. 
Also, the country is larger in every way than Italy so makes sense if numbers are not tracking, particularly when testing protocols are different. 

Are we even that close to catching up in testing? The lack of tests means there are so many unknowns still. Every decision is being made with an unclear view of what the big picture is in North America. 

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Cowboysfan8 said:
Stopped at Wegmans this morning to get some “fresh” produce

Fruits and vegetables really picked over. Worst I’ve ever seen it there as far as quality easily.

That was the one section that was bursting with stock at the local Walmart in the IL burbs.  My wife is making a big pot of chili and needed a couple of onions and they actually had a great selection of fruits and veggies available.

Not a lot of shoppers this morning (not a lot of stuff on the shelves either).

I actually ran out on March 12th and grabbed a hair cut here.  Figured it was only a matter of time before that wasn't going to be an option either.
Here's the one time where I'm glad I started balding early, so at some point I just gave up and started shaving off what's left (myself).  :shrug:

I did make an appointment today to get the dog to the groomer this afternoon, 2 weeks ahead of her reguarly scheduled appointment.  Just a matter of time before those places probably close, too.

I own the house next to me and rent it to a family. The husband is a nice guy but a conspiracy theorist and anti-vaxxer. He also always pays in cash.  I saw him yesterday and he tells me he wants to pay for April so he pulls out a wad of 100s and starts counting but he licked his thumb.  Do I need to bake that money in the oven Mr. Ham style? 
:lmao:   last Saturday, I had a dude pay his $2800 bill with cash.  I always wash my hands after handling money. 

Users who are viewing this thread