What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

Wife came home from work saying her sinuses were feeling clogged.  She checked her temp and she was 99.4.  Took some sinus meds and is relaxing in the bedroom.  Told it was probably just a bug but if her temp was still elevated in the morning she can't go to work.  Of course, I just started working from home so that's great.  Would only be fitting if I sequestered to home and that woman figured out a way to come here and take me out.  I told her the other day there is a reason she is my ex-girlfriend!   :hot:

OK. Pick a date when we (USA) flatten the curve. There’s still going to be a significant number of new cases everyday.

I think it’s likely we will live with this in one form or another for at least 18+ months. Flattening curve is only phase 1; that still leaves many susceptible people and we'll have to maintain ongoing measures to some degree.

Question is how to reconcile that with maintaining a functional society.
That last bit is what I’m wrestling with.  

Are we going to de facto shut down the country for 4-12 months for this virus?  

That’s pretty much the timeline I am currently envisioning. We’re going to be managing, in one degree or another, life with Covid-19 for at least 12-18 months.
I think society can get along just fine for an extended period of time, as long as people are not expected to make major sacrifices.

Minor sacrifices = social distancing, handwashing, masks, gloves, prohibitions on large gatherings. (No problem.)

Major sacrifices = quarantines, lockdowns, military patrolling the streets. (Zombie apocalypse stuff.)

I was put out of work until April 6. On April 6th things will be reevaluated.  :cry:

We are one of those check to check families that live above their means. Trying to stay cool but I'm freaking a little. 
Sorry to hear that. What are your contingency plans if you don't mind me asking?

BTW, If this happens, I expect all sports leagues will be canceling their seasons.
Well, I see an opportunity. The people will be starved for entertainment. Who's to say that the players can't be enticed to run e.g. shorter tournaments for tv audiences only, at the cost of extreme social distancing? It would likely have to be a different format but appluying a little ingenuity to the issue may assist :)  

Sorry to hear that. What are your contingency plans if you don't mind me asking?
Start looking for work I guess?

I see some stores looking for help stocking. There is a chance I could get called in as part of the emergency preparedness coalition?

I honestly don't know. Right now I am trying to not feel like a POS worrying about my finances when people are dying. 

Also reminding myself that I am not alone and it will all work out one way or the other.

Anyone have the Figure 1 app? It’s pretty interesting following the Covid19 cases. You see the frustration with doctors not being able to test. There are definitely HUGE numbers of “undiagnosed”  people going unreported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start looking for work I guess?

I see some stores looking for help stocking. There is a chance I could get called in as part of the emergency preparedness coalition?

I honestly don't know. Right now I am trying to not feel like a POS worrying about my finances when people are dying. 

Also reminding myself that I am not alone and it will all work out one way or the other.
I was going to suggest the delivery/grocery store route for work. Don't apologize for trying to provide for your family. Best of luck. 

Well, I see an opportunity. The people will be starved for entertainment. Who's to say that the players can't be enticed to run e.g. shorter tournaments for tv audiences only, at the cost of extreme social distancing? It would likely have to be a different format but appluying a little ingenuity to the issue may assist :)  
I could see a Hunger Games / Running Man type of show coming out of this

US CDC Wednesday Mar-18 Update
  Total deaths: 97

I haven’t been following the numbers as well as I likely should have, granted. (I am following guidelines, both wife and I working from home, were social distancing and all that, doing what we can to flatten the curve).  But with the first death roughly two weeks ago and all the doom and gloom in the media, I honestly would have expected this number to be multiples of this.  Like nearly 1k at this point.  We’ve had over 100k US deaths for other reasons the past two weeks.  

I could see a Hunger Games / Running Man type of show coming out of this
There are many opportunities. Only time will tell which are of interest to the (entertainment starved) American public

"Bread and Circus!"*

*maybe not an actual quote from a Roman emperor but close enough

I haven’t been following the numbers as well as I likely should have, granted. (I am following guidelines, both wife and I working from home, were social distancing and all that, doing what we can to flatten the curve).  But with the first death roughly two weeks ago and all the doom and gloom in the media, I honestly would have expected this number to be multiples of this.  Like nearly 1k at this point.  We’ve had over 100k US deaths for other reasons the past two weeks.  
"If you don't test, you don't find" is a strong possibility

The response so far has been largely at the state or municipal level, and obviously that means a disparate range of what constitutes social distancing. We need a coordinated federal response on the scale we’re seeing in Italy or Spain IMO.
This is what needs to happen. It does no good to put one town/state on lockdown and not the one next to it. They come off a lockdown only to go out and mingle with others from other areas and we start the fire up again. I think things are going to get really bad by the end of next week and hard decisions for this country are going to need to be made by the first week of April. We need to stop just thinking we can continue our normal lives at this point.  

There is exactly one US city with a population density higher than singapore.

I guess you are right. It is much more difficult to control it there. 
Density is just one aspect. How that density is designed/constructed, the nature of public space... those play a role as well.

But, by far, it's the culture and system of government. Singapore is basically a benevolent dictatorship with a very community minded, live by rule of law society. They have invested in the best access to healthcare/medicine, technologies.  When the gov't makes an edict, folks OBEY. They are forward thinking, planning oriented, execution and follow through are great. 

In essence, very well situated for a crisis like this... as opposed to our system of gov't and society that is not, at all, prepared (in addition to the structural issues such as lack of living wages, lack of savings/high debt, a terrible healthcare system for those without significant money and/or employer provided care.

PS and no, there is no toilet paper issues here (probably since they are big into bidets). And haven’t really heard or seen any grocery issues
Also, I was in Milan twice in October - would have been fun to have a glass of prosecco (or craft beer) with you if you were there at the time!

I keep thinking this is America’s strategy. Delay testing as long as possible. Even if we do identify the people that have it, how are we regulating their quarantines? It’s not like China where everyone is being tracked. You get tested, it’s positive, symptoms aren’t bad, go home and rest. Who is to say these people don’t just go about their daily lives like what is happening now. 

Some data coming out of Italy. Thankful for some of this, at least for our children:

--less than 10 children admitted to PICUs in the whole country of Italy

--about 400 of the COVID+ cases are in children < 17 (out of 35,000+ cases)

--Only 13 deaths in patients under age 50 years in Italy out of nearly 3K deaths. Median age of mortality is 80 years

--Median age for COVID diagnosis is 60 years

Not following this as a reply to what I wrote.  I understand that we won’t find it if we don’t test, but if we did test and truly saw how many people had it and that the fatality rate is likely around 1% or so - at what point do average Americans (not forward thinking FBGs) throw their hands up and say F it and do what they can to return to a “normal life”?  Will Americans deal with this new reality for 4-12 months before asking these questions?

@maggieNYT

De Blasio tells NY1 that a lot more testing is happening now and the numbers are moving fast because of it - it's now 1,871 cases, with 11 deaths, in NYC he says. A huge increase from just over 900 cases in NYC last night around 10 p.m.

Pretty sure we were at 463 on Monday.

I'd attend a seminar, or watch a couple youtube videos where he goes over the details of this set-up, for sure.

Human beings can generally be a PITA, but one thing I do love about us is we are some crafty, resilient organisms. We can take adversity and spin it into pure gold. The other redeeming quality we have is, when SHTF, we generally care for each other.

Not following this as a reply to what I wrote.  I understand that we won’t find it if we don’t test, but if we did test and truly saw how many people had it and that the fatality rate is likely around 1% or so - at what point do average Americans (not forward thinking FBGs) throw their hands up and say F it and do what they can to return to a “normal life”?  Will Americans deal with this new reality for 4-12 months before asking these questions?
Ok. My point is that I am not sure the number of deaths is correct because dead people may not be tested for covid-19 

Ok. My point is that I am not sure the number of deaths is correct because dead people may not be tested for covid-19 
Gotcha.  I’ve read where people have tested positive postmortem.  Are any “presumptive positives” in the total number, or is it only people who have actually tested positive?

Here's a couple of questions I have for those way more knowledgeable on these things than me.  From what I've read, South Korea's success was attributable to their aggressive testing plan.  My question is this, why wouldn't the few remaining cases they are adding daily not cause another escalation? 

Secondly, if it's merely that the testing is so good and new cases are being quarantined, how is it they can be planning some semblance of normalcy soon without re-triggering this thing?  I read they are planning on playing professional basketball games by the end of the month, etc.
Just heard this addressed a bit on tv.  Sounds like some of the experts are saying China and South Korea could experience another explosion of this when they try to go back to business as normal.  The more I hear about this it seems like the main goal is flattening the curve and if we are truly 18 months from any vaccine, our best efforts may be to just spread this out so as to try and not overwhelm our hospitals.  If this goes on 18 months, hard to imagine a significant share of the population, maybe 50%+ will have had it by then, and maybe at least have some short term immunity. 

I don't know if they will - seem that they are unlikely to live under restriction very long - given that many refuse to do it at all now.

But, the real issue here is not the mortality rate of covid19 - the real issue is the rise in overall morality rates for everything because doctors/hospitals are overwhelmed with patients and cannot properly treat all (or even many) of patients coming in for any number of issues.  1% die from covid, but another X% of the population dies from something else that would normally be preventable.

Gotcha.  I’ve read where people have tested positive postmortem.  Are any “presumptive positives” in the total number, or is it only people who have actually tested positive?
Don't know. I know the four deaths in Denmark were all post mortem

How does a country like New Zealand only have 20 cases? Extreme isolation? Are they already practicing social distancing and other measures? If this wasn’t affecting us all personally so much it would be fascinating to understand their situation. Germany too, and Russia for that matter. 

I don't know if they will - seem that they are unlikely to live under restriction very long - given that many refuse to do it at all now.

But, the real issue here is not the mortality rate of covid19 - the real issue is the rise in overall morality rates for everything because doctors/hospitals are overwhelmed with patients and cannot properly treat all (or even many) of patients coming in for any number of issues.  1% die from covid, but another X% of the population dies from something else that would normally be preventable.
These videos from the beaches are truly disturbing.  Our beach city mayors are asking the governor here to close the beaches and all she is saying is she's "considering it".  We have schools closed throughout the state, most counties have closed dine in restaurants, bars are closed, yet we can't close the beaches?

I can’t wrap my head around it either. Two weeks, ok. One month, maybe. More than that, unsure.  Four months,  not a chance. 
I can't tell you what is going to happen. But I can tell you that in Northern Europe the authorities are not expecting the warmer weather to reduce the transmission of the virus. And if it does they expect a big comeback (for the virus) in October. Exactly like the Spanish flu a hundred years ago. Becasue that's where we are, with no treatment or vaccine, just like then.

Whether we learn from the Spanish flu or not is entirely up to each society.

Good luck

How does a country like New Zealand only have 20 cases? Extreme isolation? Are they already practicing social distancing and other measures? If this wasn’t affecting us all personally so much it would be fascinating to understand their situation. Germany too, and Russia for that matter. 
It was a Dane that brought the first case to the Big Island :bag:

Are we even that close to catching up in testing? The lack of tests means there are so many unknowns still. Every decision is being made with an unclear view of what the big picture is in North America. 
Depends what you consider "catching up". Scratch that, we're nowhere near it, unless you think widespread testing in unnecessary.

Sports leagues are worth billions. The only thing I am certain of is they will find a way to play the games. If I had to guess I’d say testing is substantially more prevalent by the fall so they’ll just test everybody involved before every game. 

Sports leagues are worth billions. The only thing I am certain of is they will find a way to play the games. If I had to guess I’d say testing is substantially more prevalent by the fall so they’ll just test everybody involved before every game. 
I'm betting on this for college football too but I'm not nearly as certain as I once was.

Merkel was out today castigating the Germans to take this seriously. As if Germans take anything lightly. That should tell you about the leadership that is being displayed. As to Russia, who knows. What Putin says, goes

You obviously have never played Plague, Inc.

Island nations - like New Zealand, Madagascar, and Greenland are notoriously difficult to infect.

Density is just one aspect. How that density is designed/constructed, the nature of public space... those play a role as well.

But, by far, it's the culture and system of government. Singapore is basically a benevolent dictatorship with a very community minded, live by rule of law society. They have invested in the best access to healthcare/medicine, technologies.  When the gov't makes an edict, folks OBEY. They are forward thinking, planning oriented, execution and follow through are great. 

In essence, very well situated for a crisis like this... as opposed to our system of gov't and society that is not, at all, prepared (in addition to the structural issues such as lack of living wages, lack of savings/high debt, a terrible healthcare system for those without significant money and/or employer provided care.
I don't really understand the point you guys are trying to make. If it is that Americans wont listen and follow the government restrictions then that makes it even sillier to close schools. Since those kids will be out of school (with plenty still visiting schools to pick up meals) and now under the care of americans that aren't listening. 

This of course will lead to them hanging out, having play dates, sleepovers, etc. 

In singapore the teachers and school staff are constantly reminding the kids to wash hands, not touch their faces, keep their masks on, etc. They screen often for temps. They do it for their own good since the kids aren't really the ones at risk. 

I don't have a hard time imagining our school staff doing the same things here. I do have a hard time seeing parents keeping them from hanging out with their friends long term. 

These videos from the beaches are truly disturbing.  Our beach city mayors are asking the governor here to close the beaches and all she is saying is she's "considering it".  We have schools closed throughout the state, most counties have closed dine in restaurants, bars are closed, yet we can't close the beaches?
Have to admit after being largely shut in for 10 days now that seeing the pictures of the beaches and the bars it’s difficult not to be frustrated with the callous behavior of many of these folks. Perhaps the regional nature of this country lends itself to that kind of approach being ok, i.e. depending on where one is located should dictate the measures taken (I’m in Suffolk County NY).

Users who are viewing this thread