Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

1 hour ago, joffer said:

any chance the gov tries to restrict interstate travel?

No. But you can't get out of your car.

2 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

Have your doctor write a prescription. Unless your state has specific restrictions, you should be able to bypass the regular restrictions (Sudafed I’m assuming)

Going to the allergist to then get a prescription is not desirable. I am aware that i can do this, but it is annoying. It also costs way more this way. Have done it a couple times, but certainly right now it is not helpful. I would rather go lick every exterior door handle at the mall than step foot in a doctors office. 

1 minute ago, JbizzleMan said:

Get more tests...and start testing like mad.

Agreed, I see what you meant now.

I was more thinking about the difficulty in getting people to quarantine themselves - hopefully when given a positive diagnosis it will provide a much greater incentive to do it.

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Once people quarantine for 10-14 days and are known to be non-infected or recovered, I can see teams reconstituting with the healthy players/coaches/refs/etc and playing behind closed doors.  In fact I think that might be sooner than anyone expects today. 

issue is the travel to get there, private planes or not. I am unfortunately warming up to the fact that NBA and NHL are toast, MLB will likely be toast and best case is we get NFL on time. 

13 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Anyone got their Covid check yet?  1K to spend on toilet paper.

Already got my 1000 roll order in with my local dollar store.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Once people quarantine for 10-14 days and are known to be non-infected or recovered, I can see teams reconstituting with the healthy players/coaches/refs/etc and playing behind closed doors.  In fact I think that might be sooner than anyone expects today. 

I hope so... but the asymptomatic shedders would still be a significant concern - until that is either proven or debunked, and that will be a long time in the future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

Finally a state with the guts and vision to make a realistic decision.

Hopefully more will follow soon.

Im a high school teacher in Kansas and I am proud of our Governor. This is the right call. Not sure what this will look like for me... We are lucky enough to have a 1 to 1 initiative with Ipads so we will be able to do some sort of virtual learning. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

Agreed, I see what you meant now.

I was more thinking about the difficulty in getting people to quarantine themselves - hopefully when given a positive diagnosis it will provide a much greater incentive to do it.

True. Maybe there is some law that you could be used to prosecute people knowingly breaking quarantine once testing positive for this? IANAL.

5 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Do we know if you can be re-infected once you’ve had this?

I've been a Kroger Man (along with being a Dapper Dan Man) for a long time, but due to recent events I've been shopping at Meijer quite a bit.

They just sent this email, props to them, I've been impressed with them so far:

Dear Meijer Customer,

Meijer was founded on the belief that our primary purpose is to serve our communities. On behalf of our entire company and the Meijer family, it’s our privilege to serve our communities in this time of crisis.

We know you’re relying on us to help you prepare for the unknown and provide essential resources for your family. We take this responsibility seriously and appreciate your continued trust and patience. We are committed to staying open 24 hours to serve you, and are cleaning, sanitizing and stocking our stores continuously.

We’re focused on getting the products you need back on our shelves. Our supply chain and merchant teams are working diligently with our suppliers to expedite product flow. We are thankful to our suppliers – some of whom we’ve had relationships with since 1934 – for partnering with us on fast solutions.

We’ve been able to get some essential products back into our stores in limited quantities and are placing purchase limits on key items to ensure more customers have an opportunity to purchase what they need.

We continue to follow the CDC’s guidelines in response to this virus to ensure our stores are safe for you, including staying vigilant with our cleaning and sanitization practices, especially at high-frequency touch points like our check lanes, self-checkouts, and service areas, and in team member work areas.

For the time being, we’ve suspended full-service operations at our meat, seafood and bulk salad stations in stores. This allows our team members to prepare and package items for our self-serve refrigerated cases and ensures products can be made available more quickly.

And just as we’re following CDC guidelines, we’re asking our customers to do this too. Please practice social distancing while shopping in our stores, and as the CDC states, please stay home if you’re not feeling well. By working together in these ways, we can do our part to help prevent the spread of this virus in our communities.

There’s understandably been increased demand for our Home Delivery and Pickup services. We’re adding more pickup and delivery times and appreciate your patience as we work hard to fulfill your orders quickly.

Many of you have taken the time to recognize the hard work of our outstanding team members. Your thoughts of support online and in our stores have meant the world to them, and we appreciate your recognition.

I’m so proud of our teams, who are doing their best to keep our stores clean, stocked and orderly, while maintaining a sense of calm and compassion for our customers. I’m also proud of our supply chain, corporate teams and vendor partners, who are working tirelessly behind the scenes to get product flowing and address the needs of our stores and communities.

With all our teams are doing, we can still use more help. We’re hiring additional seasonal team members in each of our stores to meet the demands of the business. We’ve also been reaching out to local businesses affected by closures to help place their staff in positions in our stores until their businesses can re-open.

We care for our team members and want them to feel confident staying home if they don’t feel well. We have several programs to support them, many of which have been in place for some time. These include:

• A pay continuation program that allows those who are quarantined or who test positive for COVID-19 to stay home with pay.

• Free online COVID-19 screenings from a board-certified doctor for all team members.

• A backup care reimbursement program to offset the unexpected costs of unplanned care for children or adults.

• A team member relief program to help with unplanned expenses related to COVID-19.

Those in our communities who are food insecure need our support, too. We anticipate more families will rely on our food pantry partners during this time, so we’ve given an additional gift of $2.2 million to our Simply Give food pantry partners. They are receiving these funds this week, which will be divided equally among the more than 400 food pantries in our communities across the Midwest to help them continue their vital missions.

As a family company in business for more than 85 years, we’ve seen our share of difficult times. While these are admittedly uncharted waters, we’ll continue to make decisions that support our purpose of enriching lives in the communities we serve. We appreciate the trust and confidence you’ve placed in us.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

Have your doctor write a prescription. Unless your state has specific restrictions, you should be able to bypass the regular restrictions (Sudafed I’m assuming)

Time to head to NM in an RV

1 hour ago, E-Z Glider said:

From our local fire station on FB... :thumbup:

Do they have a donation form online?

1 hour ago, NotSmart said:

I'm sorely tempted as well to order take out while it's still available, for a variety of reasons.

But I keep asking myself this: if I somehow knew that someone involved in preparing, packaging, or delivering that food had Covid-19, would I order it?

If the answer is no, then I probably shouldn't order it now when I don't know that info.

Still tempted and mulling it over though...

Imo if you do, nuke it first. 

10 minutes ago, Angry Beavers said:
13 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

issue is the travel to get there, private planes or not. I am unfortunately warming up to the fact that NBA and NHL are toast, MLB will likely be toast and best case is we get NFL on time. 

I wonder if the cost of putting on a game with no gate revenue makes financial sense to these leagues. I believe the NFL is heavily skewed toward the television contracts, whereas basketball (and baseball even moreso) depend on gameday revenue. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JaxBill said:

@schindy: Bars and nightclubs in Florida closed for 30 days, starting today at 5 pm. says @GovRonDeSantis @FCN2go

The ones I stopped at today are open till 10 tonight as of a hour or so ago.  Beaches crowded with groups of people as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Time to head to NM in an RV

That’s one way to quarantine 

If someone tests positive for cv-19, what treatment is there as they quarantine themselves. Is it basically ride it out assuming it's mild and doesn't require hospitalisation?

Just now, CurlyNight said:

If someone tests positive for cv-19, what treatment is there as they quarantine themselves. Is it basically ride it out assuming it's mild and doesn't require hospitalisation?

Yep, from what those who have it said its similar to the flu but could be a little harder breathing for some. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, caustic said:

KS Governor has ordered all K-12 schools to shut down for the rest of the year. That was fast.

I think  they all will. Just rolling it at slowly to not send parents and kids into a panic imo.

27 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Maybe, but there won't be anyone allowed in the stands, and that's going to suck.   Fan noise is a big part of a good game.

35 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

Finally a state with the guts and vision to make a realistic decision.

Hopefully more will follow soon.

It doesnt need to be decided immediately. No reason not to continuously reevaluate things. 

• Laughing 1

23 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

I hope so... but the asymptomatic shedders would still be a significant concern - until that is either proven or debunked, and that will be a long time in the future.

That's what scares me. 

10 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I wonder if the cost of putting on a game with no gate revenue makes financial sense to these leagues. I believe the NFL is heavily skewed toward the television contracts, whereas basketball (and baseball even moreso) depend on gameday revenue. 

Ultimately, if the NFL roster is say 55 players, but coming into any type of training camp, it’s 90...then that’s close to 3000 players in NFL locker rooms at some point.  If one comes down with COVID-19...league shuts down.  And I get that in July, the idea is that the hot temps will snuff this out.  But we’re all spooked now...wait until how spooked you’re going to be after the first wave of this passes.

How do you apply for the Covid check?

2 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

It doesnt need to be decided immediately. No reason not to continuously reevaluate things. 

A significant percentage of the population is still hoping that things will be returning to "normal" within a couple of months.

I think it should be clear at this point that school will not be restarting within the 3 to 4 months left in this year's school year.

Saying that school is cancelled for 3 weeks (e.g. Ohio) is not helpful - it sets false expectations and will just cause more frustration when it's inevitably extended again until it's finally cancelled.

Cancelling the rest of the year now also allows long term planning to begin immediately for the rest of the home based teaching school year, instead of wasting time planning until whatever the currently stated start up time is.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

How do you apply for the Covid check?

Details aren't out yet. If it's like when Bush did it it showed up in the mail.

18 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Ibuprofen 

54 minutes ago, shader said:

As testing increases, the data becomes more meaningful everyday.

But not until we have a level amount of testing. If testing jumped significantly today then of course positives did too 

You can’t just say things like positives jumped today without context. 

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

But not until we have a level amount of testing. If testing jumped significantly today then of course positives did too 

i haven't seen many sites reporting testing other than politico.  anyone know a better one?

Posted (edited)

Saying the 1k may be for folks making under 85k. Hashing the cutoff as we speak.

Edited by CurlyNight
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, TheDirtyWord said:

Ultimately, if the NFL roster is say 55 players, but coming into any type of training camp, it’s 90...then that’s close to 3000 players in NFL locker rooms at some point.  If one comes down with COVID-19...league shuts down.  And I get that in July, the idea is that the hot temps will snuff this out.  But we’re all spooked now...wait until how spooked you’re going to be after the first wave of this passes.

I don't think that, at this point, we can assume that this is a wave and that it will pass.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, joffer said:

i haven't seen many sites reporting testing other than politico.  anyone know a better one?

I don’t know of any good data yet 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yeah, I think it’s pretty clear that this country is way behind in testing and that announced numbers don’t match reality.  But every day that we do a better job of testing is a day we get a better idea of where we are.

Unless we are so far behind that it’s impossible to catch up.  But I’m still hopeful that isn’t the case.

Edited by shader
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joffer said:

What’s going on in Texas?

Just now, TheDirtyWord said:

What’s going on in Texas?

it's still just a cold here

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, joffer said:

@COVID19tracking is a pretty interesting twitter handle.  They are trying to keep up with testing. I strongly recommend, it’s the most up-to-date resource I’ve seen (though I have to put the obligatory “I don’t know who runs it” disclaimer out there)

Edited by shader
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

A significant percentage of the population is still hoping that things will be returning to "normal" within a couple of months.

I think it should be clear at this point that school will not be restarting within the 3 to 4 months left in this year's school year.

Saying that school is cancelled for 3 weeks (e.g. Ohio) is not helpful - it sets false expectations and will just cause more frustration when it's inevitably extended again until it's finally cancelled.

Cancelling the rest of the year now also allows long term planning to begin immediately for the rest of the home based teaching school year, instead of wasting time planning until whatever the currently stated start up time 

This is just an emotion based answer. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Ibuprofen 

Isn't that anti inflammatory? If so I believe there has been some talk that those are not good in conjuction with Covid-19

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyWord said:

Counter hoax?

my golf club just cancelled Sunday's tournament for 120 guys with lunch after and 90% of them LOST THEIR MINDS.

• Laughing 2

Just horrible. From a FB friend:

A week ago today my dad went into the hospital for being unresponsive. He had an infection which they treated but other issues seem to be the cause of the infection and he needs more care than his Alzheimer's facility provides. In addition his Alzheimer's has gotten worse and escalated to the point where he won't eat or drink and is forgetting how to eat and swallow. I have to make decisions now about his care moving forward and honestly have no clue what to do. The hospital is limiting visitation due to the virus and they want him out of there to protect him from getting it and to make room for those who have it. In addition, anywhere my dad is transferred to, whether it be another facility or hospice, he will be in precautionary isolation/quarantine with no visitors for two weeks. Damn you Corona.

• Sad 7

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking people on social security or disability may be exempt from the 1k since those incomes aren't affected by cv-19. Guess we'll see if it's just to supplement those or to get us all back to buying stuff other than tp.

Edited by CurlyNight

4 minutes ago, joffer said:

my golf club just cancelled Sunday's tournament for 120 guys with lunch after and 90% of them LOST THEIR MINDS.

:wall:...stories like this worry me.  Reminds me of Titanic when the upper elite wanted their food delivered to them on the lifeboat or something like that (it’s been awhile since I’ve seen it).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

That’s one way to quarantine 

"You Got Me Riding Shotgun To Every Dark Recess Of This State. It’d Be Nice If You Clued Me In A Little.”

Here is how I think about our outcome using what I believe to be super conservative numbers:

• US population of 320 million
  • 40% of the population infected over the next 6 months
  • Mortality rate of 0.25% for those infected

If my math is right, that would leave death toll of:  320k

The numbers are staggering.  As we have all figured out we want 320k over the next 6 months, not the next 2-3 months.

• Sad 1