What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

From BNO News

Coronavirus updates: - Iran: 1,046 new cases, 149 new deaths - Belgium: 309 new cases, 7 new deaths - Luxembourg: 132 new cases, 2 new deaths - Israel: 102 new cases - Indonesia: 82 new cases, 6 new deaths - Iceland: 80 new cases - First death in Russia

From BNO news

Coronavirus timeline: -

January 19: 100 cases -

January 24: 1,000 cases -

January 28: 5,000 cases -

February 12: 50,000 cases -

March 6: 100,000 cases -

March 14: 150,000 cases -

March 18: 200,000 cases -

March 19: 225,000 cases

Tulsa Health Department officials confirmed Thursday morning that a Tulsa County resident has died due to the coronavirus (COVID-19).

The person is a man in his 50s who tested positive for the virus on March 17, officials say, and passed away due to complications on March 18.

Worldometer March 19 00:00 GMT Update (The day is reset after midnight GMT+0.)

1. China: 80,894 (+13) confirmed, 3,237 (+11) deaths
  2. Italy: 35,713 (+4,207) confirmed, 2,978 (+475) deaths
  3. Iran: 17,361 (+1,192) confirmed, 1,135 (+147) deaths
  4. Spain: 14,769 (+2,943) confirmed, 638 (+105) deaths
  5. Germany: 12,327 (+2,960) confirmed, 28 (+2) deaths
  6. USA: 9,257 (+2,846) confirmed, 150 (+41) deaths
  7. France: 9,134 (+1,404) confirmed, 264 (+89) deaths
  8. S. Korea: 8,413 (+93) confirmed, 84 (+3) deaths
  9. Switzerland: 3,115 (+373) confirmed, 33 (+6) deaths
  10. UK: 2,626 (+676) confirmed, 104 (+33) deaths
  11. Netherlands: 2,051 (+346) confirmed, 58 (+15) deaths
  12. Austria: 1,646 (+314) confirmed, 4 deaths
  13. Norway: 1,591 (+120) confirmed, 6 (+3) deaths
  14. Belgium: 1,486 (+243) confirmed, 14 (+4) deaths
  15. Sweden: 1,301 (+105) confirmed, 10 (+2) deaths
  16. Denmark: 1,057 (+80) confirmed, 4 deaths
  17. Japan: 914 (+36) confirmed, 29 deaths
  18. Malaysia: 790 (+117) confirmed, 2 deaths
  19. Canada: 727 (+129) confirmed, 9 (+1) deaths
  20. Diamond Princess: 712 confirmed, 7 deaths
Germany with a death rate of 0.2% currently.  Compared to anyone else, that’s amazing.

They stopped drive thru testing in my county.  Only lasted two days.  They are preserving test for hospitalized patients and symptomatic hospital workers.  The bad thing is that most people in my area think this is all an overreaction and if there are no tests to show that people have the virus they will continue to believe that.

Reuters: The virus has now been confirmed in 172 countries and territories, reaching an increasing number of remote and sparsely populated areas, including Bermuda, Iceland and several Caribbean islands.

(ADDENDUM: Barbados & PR on the board)

Here in Maryland there are rumors of a complete shutdown/Marshall law starting Friday. 

I welcome it. Wife is nervous. 
Pretty sure this is coming today for NYC and certain suburbs. Mayor Diblasio has been talking about it for two days, I assume just to let it sink in and get everyone comfortable with the idea, and last night was on CNN and his language was even stronger.  Matter of time I imagine. 

Pretty sure this is coming today for NYC and certain suburbs. Mayor Diblasio has been talking about it for two days, I assume just to let it sink in and get everyone comfortable with the idea, and last night was on CNN and his language was even stronger.  Matter of time I imagine. 
The NY Governor was just on CNN, and he said he will not force people to stay in their homes. He was giving mixed messages by saying that people should stay home, but if they want to go for a walk, go to the the park, or go to the store then have at it. It sounded like he was saying spend most of your day inside but getting out is ok too.

Could you please link that study? I don’t see how China could have halted the spread if 86% of cases went unreported 
It’s about 5-10 pages back in this thread, around 8-9 pm est last night.  Someone posted it last night and there was a bit of discussion if that was good news or bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Testing

Sound like they simply have a larger denominator because they are capturing a greater percentage of cases through early and expansive testing.

:shrug:

Not sure that’s the complete explain; a lot of people are perplexed about why they have a lower rate.
It reinforces the notion that a) way more people are infected than anyone realizes, b) the actual death rates are far lower than reported because the denominator is artificially low due to inadequate testing to date.

The NY Governor was just on CNN, and he said he will not force people to stay in their homes. He was giving mixed messages by saying that people should stay home, but if they want to go for a walk, go to the the park, or go to the store then have at it. It sounded like he was saying spend most of your day inside but getting out is ok too.
When the Mayor floated the idea a few days ago Cuomo’s initial response was the legality of the action. I think he’s backed off that but they are definitely NOT on the same page. Most feel like Cuomo has been stellar, at least in his public facing role.

Italy made the initial mistake of only closing the four regions around Lombardy. People fled south before it began and infected the rest of the country. That’s why when San Francisco went to shelter in place it included the entire metropolitan area (6 counties.)

For this to work in NYC, we have to get Long Island, Connecticut and New Jersey on board ASAP. Otherwise everyone with the option in the 5 boroughs will just go to their relatives in outlying areas.

It reinforces the notion that a) way more people are infected than anyone realizes, b) the actual death rates are far lower than reported because the denominator is artificially low due to inadequate testing to date.
Talked a bit about that last night with a China study being released saying that the actual infection rate may have been about 8x what was thought/reported.  I questioned if that was good news or bad news.  Bad news is that it spreads much faster than we thought, good news is that it’s not as lethal as we thought.  
If it’s that easily (and quickly) spreadable, our half baked self quarantining, where many aren’t listening at all, wont work.  

Talked a bit about that last night with a China study being released saying that the actual infection rate may have been about 8x what was thought/reported.  I questioned if that was good news or bad news.  Bad news is that it spreads much faster than we thought, good news is that it’s not as lethal as we thought.  
If it’s that easily (and quickly) spreadable, our half baked self quarantining, where many aren’t listening at all, wont work.  
You dont say.

People in here were saying that China tested nearly everyone that was infected. 

None of us are sophisticated enough in our approach to account for all of the factors that go into modeling, but I have noted that experts & model monkeys all over the globe think confirmed cases are off by 20x. Perhaps as much as 50x in countries with appallingly low testing (i.e., USA.)

No one knows with certainty. We are all learning & sharing as we go along. A bit like building the plane as we’re learning to fly, due to the lack consistent data gathering. 

None of us are sophisticated enough in our approach to account for all of the factors that go into modeling, but I have noted that experts & model monkeys all over the globe think confirmed cases are off by 20x. Perhaps as much as 50x in countries with appallingly low testing (i.e., USA.)

No one knows with certainty. We are all learning & sharing as we go along. A bit like building the plane as we’re learning to fly, due to the lack consistent data gathering. 
Since many countries are not testing many, many people for this virus, the case count has to be way off.   I have no idea if it’s 5x, 10x, or 20x but it will be interesting to see the actual numbers when we do some catching up with the testing.  It should be crazy to see see just how many were infected.  

One of wife's coworkers tested positive. 

The company will not name the employee or even the department. I imagine this is because of hipaa and the employee doesnt want to be named. 

It’s weird driving between NJ and PA right now. In NJ it’s largely business as usual other than schools and government offices being closed, restaurants being drive thru or carry out only, and malls/theaters/gyms being closed. Everything else is pretty much business as usual between 5am and 8pm. I guess the virus doesn’t infect people during the day?

Contrast that with PA which is virtually a ghost town everywhere. There are still some things going on, but pretty much all retail and restaurants are closed. Very little traffic on the roads and empty parking lot after empty parking lot.

We had our first Covid death here in the Jacksonville area. No idea who the person was but still very sobering nonetheless. 
Now I'm getting word that this man worked at same Navy base I do but in a different building.  Supposedly several of his coworkers were already told to quarantine and the list may grow. (This is third hand info and I still don't know the identity of the deceased. )

The company will not name the employee or even the department. I imagine this is because of hipaa and the employee doesnt want to be named. 
It's the one that is out for the next 2 weeks.

Just rethought that. Chances are they will close that facility. So, still won't know for sure unless there's only been 1 person out in the last few days.

DeWine also asked that businesses start to check the temperatures of people who still have to report to their workplaces.
Just an update for this morning.  No one was checking temps at the doors this morning.  I'm one of 15 people on my floor still coming into the office.  Office wide, maybe a hundred folks still here.  Over 90% of folks are WFH right now.

One thing we need to be careful of in this age of fast moving news is misinformation.

For example, in the tweet you linked, the doctor says "just received word"...okay?  From who?  Who is your source?

Secondly, I notice your link title says "NYC".  The tweet  says "small NY hospital".  Now someone else very possibly could tell someone else this information and it will be construed as ALL of NY.

See the problem with all of this? 

It can quickly become a cluster #### of misinformation.

When the Mayor floated the idea a few days ago Cuomo’s initial response was the legality of the action. I think he’s backed off that but they are definitely NOT on the same page. Most feel like Cuomo has been stellar, at least in his public facing role.

Italy made the initial mistake of only closing the four regions around Lombardy. People fled south before it began and infected the rest of the country. That’s why when San Francisco went to shelter in place it included the entire metropolitan area (6 counties.)

For this to work in NYC, we have to get Long Island, Connecticut and New Jersey on board ASAP. Otherwise everyone with the option in the 5 boroughs will just go to their relatives in outlying areas.
He was definitely all over the map. They need thousands and thousands of respirators. But the city isn't closed. It's not Marshall Law. People can still move about. People really need to stay home. Shelter in place means people should mostly stay home, but feel free to go to the park. Walks are healthy too. We need to help the healthcare workers as the flood of people will crash the hospitals. But people shouldn't be leaving the city. The roads are still open and people can come and go. Take a break and go shopping at a store. People aren't prisoners and we're not going to force people to stay inside.

At this point, IMO the best thing to do is just close down anything and everywhere unless it's absolutely critical. As it is, we have people ignoring any sort of common sense and treating things like it's vacation and going to beaches and cookouts and having a grand old time. Where I am, kids out of school are all going over to friends and having play dates. Playgrounds were overrun with parents and kids because it was a nice day. We are headed to lock downs in most places anyway, so the sooner we realize that, the sooner things will get closer to normal. It's only been a week and I am not sure what the picture will be after a few months given how crazy things have gotten so far.

It's available for compassion use for C-19 patients who are mechanically ventilated. There is in vitro and animal data that makes it look promising for SARS and MERS, but human data for COVID-19 Is extremely limited. Ongoing trials reportedly aren't going so well.
Which one isn't doing so well?

Just an update for this morning.  No one was checking temps at the doors this morning.  I'm one of 15 people on my floor still coming into the office.  Office wide, maybe a hundred folks still here.  Over 90% of folks are WFH right now.
I'm not surprised since it was just requested yesterday afternoon.

But still... a business of any size at all should be aware of and following state guidelines at a time like this.

Besides it's in the own best interest to turn away anyone that's sick since they are still requiring on premises workers.

Now I'm getting word that this man worked at same Navy base I do but in a different building.  Supposedly several of his coworkers were already told to quarantine and the list may grow. (This is third hand info and I still don't know the identity of the deceased. )
Naval Air or Mayport? 

Did anyone ask why?  It sounds like thermometers are hard to come by.  If companies don't comply and people report it to Dewine he will shut down all non essential business.

"much more widespread but not nearly as deadly" seemed like a very likely result based on the lack of testing.

God this whole situation just blows.

We had somebody who left last week saying to everybody on her way out, see ya in two weeks I'm self-quarantining due to somebody at her kid's school testing positive that both she and the kid had been in close contact with. HR was standing there, said goodbye, then turned to our team and said so we've been made aware of an employee who may have been exposed and that employee is self-quarantining for two weeks. We cannot tell you who that employee is. It was pretty funny.

We were talking about this at work this morning.  I don't understand why Hipaa laws would even apply in a situation like this.  I get it that health information is, and should be, private, but when your health has the potential during a pandemic to get 1000 people sick and possibly kill some of them, I would think F your privacy.  

Someone said they thought the laws were suspended for this pandemic.  Anyone know what's going on with that?  

ETA:  For clarification, I am simply talking about positive tests for CV-19.  I just feel like that is insane to keep people in the dark when their health is at risk.  

I know too many families that are not bothering to adhere to the distancing recommendations. Most of them have even developed detailed explanations for how/why this doesn’t affect them, or how they’re protecting a specific family member. Its justification in their minds for what they are doing. None of them are even considering the fact that we’re supposed to be doing this for the greater good of the population. 

Agree with everyone saying we’re way too selfish for this to work without further/stricter govt intervention.  :mellow:

It’s weird driving between NJ and PA right now. In NJ it’s largely business as usual other than schools and government offices being closed, restaurants being drive thru or carry out only, and malls/theaters/gyms being closed. Everything else is pretty much business as usual between 5am and 8pm. I guess the virus doesn’t infect people during the day?

Contrast that with PA which is virtually a ghost town everywhere. There are still some things going on, but pretty much all retail and restaurants are closed. Very little traffic on the roads and empty parking lot after empty parking lot.
Governor Wolf has been very pro-active in shutting things down.

Uhmm very possibly at least 100+ months?

This is not an ideal situation but no need to start digging graves for old folks.

My dad died at 68 of cancer. My mom was 67. 

She is now 83 and is a part of the lives of my 14 and 11 year old kids. Kids my father never got to see.

Its gonna be ok....not easy but ok. Let's keep fighting for the old folks and their lawns. They're worth it.
They're not part of your kids lives of they are social distancing for 100 months

I know too many families that are not bothering to adhere to the distancing recommendations. Most of them have even developed detailed explanations for how/why this doesn’t affect them, or how they’re protecting a specific family member. None of them are even considering the fact that we’re supposed to be doing this for the greater good of the population. 
It really is so anger inducing. We are a very healthy family of four. We very likely would come out of this just fine, even if we contracted the virus. Yet, we are holed up in our house and taking nearly every precaution. Yet, all these ####### old people I know (my parents included) are coming up with the most assinine excuses for why they are still shopping regularly and seeing their neighbors and having bbq's. #### we are ####ed

One thing we need to be careful of in this age of fast moving news is misinformation.

For example, in the tweet you linked, the doctor says "just received word"...okay?  From who?  Who is your source?

Secondly, I notice your link title says "NYC".  The tweet  says "small NY hospital".  Now someone else very possibly could tell someone else this information and it will be construed as ALL of NY.

See the problem with all of this? 

It can quickly become a cluster #### of misinformation.
Great reminder in general, especially as there are reports that Russia is waging a disinformation campaign using Covid-19 to help further confusion and mistrust.

Ditto, while I don't go into PA I go from Brunswick to Cinnaminson.
My office is a little lighter as some people are WFH but the shop is business as usual.

I'm so conflicted.
On one hand, why are we all here? We should be sheltered in place. Not potentially infecting each other and then taking it home.
On the other hand, we do a lot of gov/military work and they are still in need and asking for our production schedules. 
We are able to provide some normalcy in peoples abnormal life and give people hope by offering work.

I think we are all in the keep working until we are ordered not to mindset.
I don't know if gov depending on our product will give us any exemption but IDK...kinda weird.

Then I read all the doom and gloom and i say I need to get more supplies. The places are bare as it is....but every supermarket/store I go to seems normal. Maybe a little less stock (a lot less on the obvious things) 

We shall see

It really is so anger inducing. We are a very healthy family of four. We very likely would come out of this just fine, even if we contracted the virus. Yet, we are holed up in our house and taking nearly every precaution. Yet, all these ####### old people I know (my parents included) are coming up with the most assinine excuses for why they are still shopping regularly and seeing their neighbors and having bbq's. #### we are ####ed
Yeah, tons of kids out playing together around here. So dumb. I feel bad because my daughter is going to be isolated, but I will not contribute to the problem.

The info coming out today about how hard this is actually hitting the 20-60 year old population here is concerning. People need to stop thinking it’s JUST old people that are susceptible. We are a very unhealthy society thanks to our lifestyles. Way more people here are vulnerable than in other generally healthy countries IMO.

Agreed.  But if I make it to 80 I'm sure I'll have the same attitude. 

Users who are viewing this thread