What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (6 Viewers)

Did anyone ask why?  It sounds like thermometers are hard to come by.  If companies don't comply and people report it to Dewine he will shut down all non essential business.
No.  I talked to a few people on my floor and they kind of laugh it off or shrug their shoulders.  My supervisor is WFH, so I'll talk to him later about the situation.  I'm thinking they'll have to start doing it sooner, rather than later.

On a sidenote, I'll likely start WFH next week.  I had an option this week, but too many system rollout projects going on and I'd rather be in the office to run QA tests.  Besides, my "co-workers" at home are going crazy.  Updates from the wife include sliding down stairs on inflatable chairs to some sort of American Idol meets So You Think You Can Dance challenge about the water cycle where they are singing/dancing to some weird YouTube song.

:unsure:

If this article isn't sobering, nothing will be.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/new-jersey-coronavirus-family-members-killed/index.html

Coronavirus kills 3 family members and sickens 4 others after a dinner in New Jersey

By Faith Karimi and Rob Frehse, CNN

Updated 4:15 AM ET, Thu March 19, 2020

(CNN)A New Jersey mother died from coronavirus without knowing that her two children also got infected and died shortly before she did, The New York Times reported.

Grace Fusco, 73, died Wednesday and was unaware of the deaths of her oldest son and daughter from Covid-19, the disease caused by coronavirus.

A relative told the newspaper that four other children also have coronavirus and remain hospitalized -- three in critical condition. CNN has reached out to a family representative but has not heard back.

The infections appeared to have originated from a family dinner this month, the Times reported. It said the first person to die from coronavirus in New Jersey attended that gathering.

Grace Fusco's oldest daughter, Rita Fusco-Jackson, 55, of Freehold, New Jersey, died Friday. Shortly afterward, the family learned she had coronavirus. Her son, Carmine Fusco, of Bath, Pennsylvania, died just before his mother Wednesday.

Nearly 20 other relatives are quarantined at their homes and are grieving the loss separately, The Times said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know too many families that are not bothering to adhere to the distancing recommendations. Most of them have even developed detailed explanations for how/why this doesn’t affect them, or how they’re protecting a specific family member. None of them are even considering the fact that we’re supposed to be doing this for the greater good of the population. 

Agree with everyone saying we’re way too selfish for this to work without further/stricter govt intervention.  :mellow:
It is difficult for people to stop seeing family members immediately and for an indefinite period of time.  

Yeah, tons of kids out playing together around here. So dumb. I feel bad because my daughter is going to be isolated, but I will not contribute to the problem.

The info coming out today about how hard this is actually hitting the 20-60 year old population here is concerning. People need to stop thinking it’s JUST old people that are susceptible. We are a very unhealthy society thanks to our lifestyles. Way more people here are vulnerable than in other generally healthy countries IMO.
One of my neighbors had a ton of kids playing in her backyard on Tuesday afternoon.  My daughter wanted to join, but we said no, not safe.  Lots of eye rolling, multiple texts from neighbor moms shaming us.

Next day, the same neighbor who hosted on Tuesday sends out a nasty group text, telling us all that she was keeping her kids inside, and warning “this will be so hard for my daughter, so I’d better not see kids near our yard.”

I saw her husband in our alley yesterday night — from a long distance — and all he said was “I think she might be losing it....”

Plus side - it was dumb to have a dozen kids in a backyard together.  So I’m glad she made the decision.  But.....yeah, glass houses and stones....

It really is so anger inducing. We are a very healthy family of four. We very likely would come out of this just fine, even if we contracted the virus. Yet, we are holed up in our house and taking nearly every precaution. Yet, all these ####### old people I know (my parents included) are coming up with the most assinine excuses for why they are still shopping regularly and seeing their neighbors and having bbq's. #### we are ####ed
Neighborhood slip n slide got set up yesterday.  No less than 10 kids on it.  Moms all congregating around, bringing food and snacks to the kids.  Dad's hanging out, drinking beer.

Too much "this can't happen to us" kind of attitude around these parts.  

One thing we need to be careful of in this age of fast moving news is misinformation.

For example, in the tweet you linked, the doctor says "just received word"...okay?  From who?  Who is your source?

Secondly, I notice your link title says "NYC".  The tweet  says "small NY hospital".  Now someone else very possibly could tell someone else this information and it will be construed as ALL of NY.

See the problem with all of this? 

It can quickly become a cluster #### of misinformation
:Goodposting:

Plus...as somebody who lives in NYC- if it says "small NY hospital" it means NOT in NYC. They'd say NYC if that's what they meant.

Also, scrolling down that tweet...which should never have been linked here in the first place imo (as third hand unconfirmed rumor)... Somebody else points out that small hospitals are often overrun during normal flu epidemics.

Icon...you're better than this. 

Neighborhood slip n slide got set up yesterday.  No less than 10 kids on it.  Moms all congregating around, bringing food and snacks to the kids.  Dad's hanging out, drinking beer.

I think the neighborhood level is the best we can truly hope for in terms of people social distancing. I think if we do that at least, we'll have a better chance. 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
What is wrong with people. 

We are fortunate that there is so much pressure and social shaming on the FB groups that most people wouldn’t dare put their kids in a park or outside playing together at this point. Would be social suicide. Usually an ugly dynamic that I dislike, but coming in handy for a change. 

Our streets are like a ghost town, other than family members out for walks or bike rides together. 

One of wife's coworkers tested positive. 

The company will not name the employee or even the department. I imagine this is because of hipaa and the employee doesnt want to be named. 
Unless they close the entire facility, that's a great way to ensure more people get infected

Yes this frustrates me greatly.  The sooner people stop this the sooner we can get past this.  🤦🏽‍♂️

I think the neighborhood level is the best we can truly hope for in terms of people social distancing. I think if we do that at least, we'll have a better chance. 
I sort of agree, but here in this "out of an abundance of caution" age we're in right now it seems so selfish and reckless.  My kids are locked down. 

I know out of the ten or so kids 2 of them were in Orlando at Disney and Universal, 2 of them were at a soccer tournament in Atlanta.  2 dads of the kids are both in the medical fields and work in hospitals.  Those dads were at work, but still they will come home to their kids.  

My wife and I have come to the conclusion that these people just flat out don't care.  

jb1020 said:

Thank god those kids arent in school, amirite???

BobbyLayne said:
For this to work in NYC, we have to get Long Island, Connecticut and New Jersey on board ASAP. Otherwise everyone with the option in the 5 boroughs will just go to their relatives in outlying areas.
I have a very bad feeling that NY is going to turn into a #### show very soon. The city of Wuhan is 11 million, they've been on lock down for 8 weeks under one of the most authoritarian regime in the world. NYC is 8 million and can't decided what to shut down or when. I hope I'm wrong but without something short of Marshall Law I don't see how NYC gets ahead of this.

E-Z Glider said:
Agree with everyone saying we’re way too selfish for this to work without further/stricter govt intervention.  :mellow:
This is where we will fail. Spring breakers doing their thing, churches hosting their entire congregation to pray it away, we just can't stay away. For every person in this thread that is follow social distancing guidelines or simply just locking it down, there are at least 5 others in their immediate community that aren't. 

Is this your shtick for the duration?

Yes - thank god those kids arent in school. For it wouldn't be 10 kids and their families at risk, it would be hundreds. I am unsure why this is so confusing to you. Closing schools is likely the single most important aspect of reducing transmissions
Is your shtick to reply every time with the same argument? 

Godsbrother said:
It is difficult for people to stop seeing family members immediately and for an indefinite period of time.  
Unfortunately, this is not at all what Im talking about. These are parents who continue to shop and get together to drink, socialize, etc and they let their kids do whatever they want with whoever they want. The worst is hearing their reasoning for why its ok. 

Is this your shtick for the duration?

Yes - thank god those kids arent in school. For it wouldn't be 10 kids and their families at risk, it would be hundreds. I am unsure why this is so confusing to you. Closing schools is likely the single most important aspect of reducing transmissions
I'm sure he'll speak for himself but I think he meant that the parents were the ones being stupid - that the point of sending kids home wasn't so that they could play in the neighborhood.

If he actually meant that kids should have stayed in school, well...

Why couldnt you guys have brought up all of the malaria drug talk one day earlier????

I looked up plaquenil last night. Found out that was an advanz pharma drug. Wanted to buy it. Bookmarked it last night. 

Look up cxrxf. Grrrrrrrr. . It opened up a ton.Literally one day late

If a larger proportion of younger people are in the hospital then is to be expected, could it be that a larger proportion of younger people have contracted it in relation to other age groups?  Seems like the younger population that hasn't been social distancing were spreading it around to each other for awhile, and since older age groups have been isolating for a longer period of time, there isn't as great of a proportion of that older age range that are sick.

I have a very bad feeling that NY is going to turn into a #### show very soon. The city of Wuhan is 11 million, they've been on lock down for 8 weeks under one of the most authoritarian regime in the world. NYC is 8 million and can't decided what to shut down or when. I hope I'm wrong but without something short of Marshall Law I don't see how NYC gets ahead of this.
Agreed.  NYC feels like a slow motion disaster right now.

BobbyLayne said:
Testing

Sound like they simply have a larger denominator because they are capturing a greater percentage of cases through early and expansive testing.

:shrug:

Not sure that’s the complete explain; a lot of people are perplexed about why they have a lower rate.
They also have announced very few recoveries.  So it's early yet.

BobbyLayne said:
Italy made the initial mistake of only closing the four regions around Lombardy. People fled south before it began and infected the rest of the country. That’s why when San Francisco went to shelter in place it included the entire metropolitan area (6 counties.)
Add Sonoma, Napa, and Santa Cruz counties to the list. 

Why couldnt you guys have brought up all of the malaria drug talk one day earlier????

I looked up plaquenil last night. Found out that was an advanz pharma drug. Wanted to buy it. Bookmarked it last night. 

Look up cxrxf. Grrrrrrrr. . It opened up a ton.Literally one day late
Which is why you should be cautious about any news you see on vaccines and treatments.  There's big money behind rumors.  

BobbyLayne said:
Testing

Sound like they simply have a larger denominator because they are capturing a greater percentage of cases through early and expansive testing.

:shrug:

Not sure that’s the complete explain; a lot of people are perplexed about why they have a lower rate.
That guy has a mask on. 

The rest of the world embraces wearing masks. Whereas the US spreads word early on that masks are pointless. 

Then the US quietly revises guidelines regarding masks. 

Unfortunately the media ran with the masks are useless BS and now almost nobody will wear a mask here as they are looked at like a pariah. 

Agreed.  NYC feels like a slow motion disaster right now.
Thank you. I guess it shouldn't surprise me as everything seems this way now but it seems from what I see that NYC has two very different takes. One is it's near disaster. The other is Cuomo is guiding it well and it'll be ok.

Do you have an opinion there on balancing the two? 

That guy has a mask on. 

The rest of the world embraces wearing masks. Whereas the US spreads word early on that masks are pointless. 

Then the US quietly revises guidelines regarding masks. 

Unfortunately the media ran with the masks are useless BS and now almost nobody will wear a mask here as they are looked at like a pariah. 
Depends. Almost every Asian I’ve seen us wearing a mask. Unfortunately it’s usually a surgical mask or fabric mask, rare to see an N95.

Depends. Almost every Asian I’ve seen us wearing a mask. Unfortunately it’s usually a surgical mask or fabric mask, rare to see an N95.
Even a surgical mask or fabric mask is better than no mask. 

I posted an article in here a couple days ago that had a photo of an italian doctor with a covid patient in quarantine and they were facetiming the patients family. The doctor had a surgical mask on. 

eoMMan said:
One thing we need to be careful of in this age of fast moving news is misinformation.

For example, in the tweet you linked, the doctor says "just received word"...okay?  From who?  Who is your source?

Secondly, I notice your link title says "NYC".  The tweet  says "small NY hospital".  Now someone else very possibly could tell someone else this information and it will be construed as ALL of NY.

See the problem with all of this? 

It can quickly become a cluster #### of misinformation.
Solid post & a good point.

That said, there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence around the Twitterverse that things are getting progressively worse for NYC health care workers.

For example

Thank you. I guess it shouldn't surprise me as everything seems this way now but it seems from what I see that NYC has two very different takes. One is it's near disaster. The other is Cuomo is guiding it well and it'll be ok.

People with the "it's like the flu" opinion are going to have a very different view. 

I'm not local to NYC at all.  Seems like the mayor would like to have shelter-in-place but the governor is preventing it.  The density of that city is a big concern. 

matttyl said:
Talked a bit about that last night with a China study being released saying that the actual infection rate may have been about 8x what was thought/reported.  I questioned if that was good news or bad news.  Bad news is that it spreads much faster than we thought, good news is that it’s not as lethal as we thought.  
If it’s that easily (and quickly) spreadable, our half baked self quarantining, where many aren’t listening at all, wont work.  
Thanks for the tip, just read the study.  Mixed thoughts.

It's definitely bad news if it's true, as that many asymptomatic people would be impossible to stop..  But I also don't believe the study, because China did stop the spread by comprehensive testing and quarantine of symptomatic people. 

The WHO didn't find a lot of asymptomatic people in China.  They EXPECTED TO, but they didn't.  This study uses math to assume that they were out there, but I recommend reading the WHO report where they show how their attempts to find large groups of asymptomatic people were unsuccessful.

Also, this idea that "it might not be as lethal as we think" has to be put to rest.  It's an idea that's keeping people from locking down. It's a dangerous idea that is based on blind optimism in the face of the reality of the situation.

Look, I think we all agree that the current reported death rate is too high.  As of last night, outside of China, it was 4.14%, and that's with the majority of the world still in fine shape in terms of ventilators and ICU beds.    So yeah, there are definitely misses in the testing.  But we need to realize that this is a VERY DEADLY AND LETHAL VIRUS and eradicate this idea that "well maybe millions of people have it and it's actually not really as deadly as we thought".  No, it is deadly.  There's literal proof of that in any hospital that is overrun with cases.

Users who are viewing this thread