What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

What I have learned in the last 12 hours - 

people really have no idea that this is serious and still somehow think that it is just the flu and the death rate is .0001 percent..

you can't find TP or ice cream at the local grocer; - maybe folks are lactose intolerant and that is why they need all of the TP :shrug:

Based upon the number of people out you would think there is nothing going on - we are so screwed. 

(yes, I was out..for the 1st time in 4 days - I had a prescription to pick up and then went for bread and milk - I looked for TP and icecream also)
If I don't see ice cream when I go to the store in a few days, I'm flipping cars and burning the city.

People are really desperate. My mom had sent me a new year card and put a check in it for my gift. USPS informed delivery said it was scanned 3 days ago as it passed through my local post office. Checked today and it's gone. I wouldn't doubt that people are taking obvious personal mail in hopes of finding money in it. I've been through this before only last time they took the check and left the envelope with the letter, torn open.

The Z Machine said:
What would we do with the knowledge of who has immunity from COVID19?  Put them on the front lines in a healthcare situation?  Or let them go free while others shelter in place?
"Convalescent Plasma"

Here is a real world update from Southern NH. Hospitals are trying to get as many existing patients out of the hospitals to make space for the high volume of people coming in. That means putting an extra bed in every room and setting up beds in places that don't usually have patients. My wife is in the fray and has reported 3 fatalities among her patients just from this morning . . . all elderly with a suite of virus symptoms but they never were tested (and won't end up in the statistics unless they test them after the fact). Part of her job is to figure out what to do with her existing patients . . . who mostly are elderly with multiple at-risk characteristics in the same place as all the virus infected people. She works on the care planning and case management side and covers multiple hospitals . . . so she is getting more to do exponentially than she can handle. There is stuff she can't even get to in terms of phone calls, emails, texts, messages, etc. She is freaking out because the first wave has hit and hit hard. As an RN, she hasn't treated a patient in over 10 years and they are telling her she probably is going to have to get dropped into an ER soon. And as a PSA and FYI, the people coming in are not all just the elderly.

We are not even considered a hot zone and up until now have been considered on the periphery and this is just the beginning. So for anyone still out there thinking this is a great big nothing burger . . . this is an extremely serious situation. Any existing patient or clinical provider in the hospital is at high risk and they have no medical personnel to deal with any other incoming patients with other serious health issues (accidents, heart attacks, strokes, etc.). THIS IS WHY PEOPLE NEED TO STAY HOME AND KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.

Sorry for the rant and fear mongering, but I am getting fed up with people thinking this is not anything serious that are still going out to wherever and think nothing is happening and they are not involved.

Consider myself very lucky to be prepared and living in relative safety and comfort. I’ve been on the road most of the time last few years. 4 year old told my wife that she hopes we get to stay together in the house forever. (Kids are having a blast. Spending lots of time playing, in the pool, video play dates, crafts, attention from mom and dad, long walks.) 

Feeling somewhat better today, but have spent much of the last couple weeks gripped by anxiety. Finding it hard to concentrate on what little work is available to be done, just getting through most days, and killing a bottle of wine a day. Did a deep Spring clean that took a full week, with every surface cleaned and every nook vacuumed with a backspace Hepa vac. Also been doing a lot of gardening, and cleared out all of the foliage and plants around a pond in the backyard. 

But despite being busy and in a good place for now, I’m worried. I work for a major Fortune 50 tech and services company, and don’t know that I’ll have a job to come back to coming out of this. Company was already looking to spin down the small division I lead, and have been looking at other jobs both inside and outside of the company. All requisitions are frozen, and suddenly we’re going from a booming economy with lots of options to probable deep recession. That will accelerate plans to pull the plug on my division. 

Am very lucky in that we have good savings and investments we could fall back on, but can’t do that for too long before we fall behind on retirement trajectory.

Very surreal to find the ground giving away suddenly, but have to have faith we’ll emerge and things will go back to normal soon. I for one will be more grateful for what we have when that time comes.

Realize despite my challenges, I am one of the lucky ones. Truly feel for the many to whom this will be devastating.

Hope everyone is coping, and that you’re all well and remain secure.
:goodposting:

Kind of mirrors what's going on in our household, and hearing it from someone else actually helps keep my own anxiety from spiraling.  Appreciate you sharing.

It is a great time to count your blessings.  We're going to make it through this, and with any luck we'll have some great comeback stories to share.

Hang in there.

Nothing like a good old fashion blizzard to keep people from leaving their homes here in Colorado.  :thumbup:

So a question my wife and I were wondering about is, lets say a shelter in place is put in effect, do they still allow people to receive Fedex and Amazon shipments? I mean with all the pharamacies pushing people to go to mail order, this seems like an important question. What about grocery delivery as well? 
most of the items im ordering are non perishable and ill simply glove - place the box in my garage and open it in 10+ days when i actually need it. by that time it should be safe to handle. plus they said it doesnt live as long on cardboard type material

My quick takes from reading Japan's response is that they responded very quickly.  In mid-February the government was focused on preventing large-scale outbreaks.  All the things the USA are doing this month, they did last month.

They had less than 200 total cases when their government started these policies.  
This makes me so furious.

Good news on the Chloroquine announcement. Going to keep fingers crossed. I would add today’s press conference was pretty even handed between optimism, caution and updates. Testing is ramping up, treatments are being identified. Apparently it is people now, all of us, that need to do their part by practicing extreme social distancing and good hygiene. Peace.  

Here is a real world update from Southern NH. Hospitals are trying to get as many existing patients out of the hospitals to make space for the high volume of people coming in. That means putting an extra bed in every room and setting up beds in places that don't usually have patients. My wife is in the fray and has reported 3 fatalities among her patients just from this morning . . . all elderly with a suite of virus symptoms but they never were tested (and won't end up in the statistics unless they test them after the fact). Part of her job is to figure out what to do with her existing patients . . . who mostly are elderly with multiple at-risk characteristics in the same place as all the virus infected people. She works on the care planning and case management side and covers multiple hospitals . . . so she is getting more to do exponentially than she can handle. There is stuff she can't even get to in terms of phone calls, emails, texts, messages, etc. She is freaking out because the first wave has hit and hit hard. As an RN, she hasn't treated a patient in over 10 years and they are telling her she probably is going to have to get dropped into an ER soon. And as a PSA and FYI, the people coming in are not all just the elderly.

We are not even considered a hot zone and up until now have been considered on the periphery and this is just the beginning. So for anyone still out there thinking this is a great big nothing burger . . . this is an extremely serious situation. Any existing patient or clinical provider in the hospital is at high risk and they have no medical personnel to deal with any other incoming patients with other serious health issues (accidents, heart attacks, strokes, etc.). THIS IS WHY PEOPLE NEED TO STAY HOME AND KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.

Sorry for the rant and fear mongering, but I am getting fed up with people thinking this is not anything serious that are still going out to wherever and think nothing is happening and they are not involved.
Thank you for sharing.  It's not a rant and it's not fear mongering.  It's the reality of what's going on and we need more of this, and less blind optimism.

Why do reporters ask such banal questions?

Q: There's a shortage of masks, how is that acceptable?

A: Uh, it's not. Next question.
Reporters are such hacks these days. Somehow I stumbled upon Ana Swanson's twitter yesterday. Like 5 tweets or retweets regarding trump calling it the chinese virus.

She also had at least 5 tweets or retweets criticizing china for kicking out reporters, clandestinely hoarding mask supplies, and other criticisms regarding the virus. 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
FDA says it has *not* actually approved Chloroquine for covid-19 use, contradicting what Trump said 45 minutes ago.

FDA says it has *not* actually approved Chloroquine for covid-19 use, contradicting what Trump said 45 minutes ago.
Not surprising.  We don't even know if it works.  If we rush this drug and start giving the 95%-99% of people that won't die a drug that could do damage, we could do more harm than good.

The upside to me is...in addition to having time to run every morning, sit down and eat at a decent pace, and other general daily habits that are helpful...my wife and are truly blessed to be able to spend the time we are now with our 2-yr-old and 5-mo-old.  I know it's different than with teens. Multiple hours a day more than we would going to work and daycare.  Every meal together. I'm trying to teach my 2-yr-old how to swim.

This time can't be replaced, at this age.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The upside to me is...in addition to having time to run every morning, sit down and eat at a decent pace, and other general daily habits that are helpful...my wife and are truly blessed to be able to spend the time we are now with our 2-yr-old and 5-mo-old.  I know it's different than with teens. Multiple hours a day more than we would going to work and daycare.  Every meal together. I'm trying to teach my 2-yr-old how to swim.

This time can't be replaced, at this age.  
man i feel super stressed at home. complete opposite

Exactly. Please spread the word everyone. 
Agreed. I can't even guess how many times I had this discussion with my boss. It's not about how lethal the virus actually is, it's about how quickly the hospital gets overwhelmed. 

I'm working from home while said boss continues to go in to the office b/c he "only goes from his house to his office" so what's the big deal? Uhhh... the 20 other businesses in the building, with ~100+ people coming through touching every door, using the shared bathrooms, etc. Oh, and the other 2 employees in our office who take the BUS to work and sit in the same air-space. Boss's kid was at one of the local highschools with a confirmed case, too. NBD... 🤦‍♂️

@Anarchy99 = best to you and the wife. Really tough situation that I hope you both get through as well as possible.

:goodposting:

Kind of mirrors what's going on in our household, and hearing it from someone else actually helps keep my own anxiety from spiraling.  Appreciate you sharing.

It is a great time to count your blessings.  We're going to make it through this, and with any luck we'll have some great comeback stories to share.

Hang in there.
Yup, many of us here have it pretty good and should be grateful. Definitely think about all the people being laid off or have businesses hurting during all of this. Do what you can to help. 

Elon Musk in the midst of some tweeting bravado says on twitter he'll start manufacturing ventilators as soon as there's a shortage, that it would take some time but not be difficult given the complex hvac systems they design for Tesla and the life support systems SpaxeX makes...crickets when people from all over link him to examples of just that happening, and more examples to come. DiBlasio reached out as well, even, and said he'd follow up directly.

Curious to see if this comes to anything...do American billionaires with the facilities and means actually end up partaking in the direly needed charity everyone thinks they're so good for if you let them hoard their wealth the rest of the time? We'll see. 

Just 12 hours ago he was going on about how the panic will do more harm than the virus. I'm doubtful he steps up.

A few highlights from the WHO report that I think are good to re-post.  They are good for me as it's been 3 weeks since I've read the report and these articles.  IMO, these hold much more water than "estimates" from people that weren't on the ground.

China has a policy of meticulous case and contact identification for COVID-19. For example, in Wuhan more than 1800 teams of epidemiologists, with a minimum of 5 people/team, are tracing tens of thousands of contacts a day. Contact follow up is painstaking, with a high percentage of identified close contacts completing medical observation. Between 1% and 5% of contacts were subsequently laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19, depending on location. 

Asymptomatic infection has been reported, but the majority of the relatively rare cases who are asymptomatic on the date of identification/report went on to develop disease. The proportion of truly asymptomatic infections is unclear but appears to be relatively rare and does not appear to be a major driver of transmission.

Asymptomatic infection has been reported, but the majority of the relatively rare cases who are asymptomatic on the date of identification/report went on to develop disease. The proportion of truly asymptomatic infections is unclear but appears to be relatively rare and does not appear to be a major driver of transmission.

Interview with Bruce Aylward of WHO:

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china

More of a surprise, and this is something we still don’t understand, is how little virus there was in the much broader community. Everywhere we went, we tried to find and understand how many tests had been done, how many people were tested, and who were they.

In Guangdong province, for example, there were 320,000 tests done in people coming to fever clinics, outpatient clinics. And at the peak of the outbreak, 0.47 percent of those tests were positive. People keep saying [the cases are the] tip of the iceberg. But we couldn’t find that. We found there’s a lot of people who are cases, a lot of close contacts — but not a lot of asymptomatic circulation of this virus in the bigger population. And that’s different from flu. In flu, you’ll find this virus right through the child population, right through blood samples of 20 to 40 percent of the population.
... OK. So, given the items in red above, do the lessons of the Chinese response transfer over to the "mathematics" of the U.S. response? Is lack of asymptomatic cases an artifact of the disease, or an artifact of the society-wide testing regimen?

Forsythia?

Elon Musk in the midst of some tweeting bravado says on twitter he'll start manufacturing ventilators as soon as there's a shortage, that it would take some time but not be difficult given the complex hvac systems they design for Tesla and the life support systems SpaxeX makes...crickets when people from all over link him to examples of just that happening, and more examples to come. DiBlasio reached out as well, even, and said he'd follow up directly.
If he is truly serious he would have just started doing it. It's not like the world doesn't need them. Waiting until there is a shortage is too late because whether we know it or not, there is a shortage right now. We just don't know it because we haven't tested enough to run the world numbers and understand just how far behind the curve we are.

Users who are viewing this thread