What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

Several articles just today asking for donations as the need is expected to rise. My question is, can the blood be tested? Someone with the virus but no symptoms would potentially pass along a blood bag full of CV, no?
Yes, it can.

EDIT: Antibody tests are done via blood draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
"In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period," the alert said.

My cousins in Colombia got lucky and got tickets to fly back tomorrow. 
Where is that quote from?

WNEP in Pennsylvania just reported that Governor Wolf has ordered all non-Life sustaining businesses in Pennsylvania to close their physical locations by 8 PM tonight

Sean Payton has tested positive for coronavirus, per ESPN. First case in the NFL world.
Seriously, I know about 7-8 people that are having symptoms and are worried but can't get tested.   Annoying that we are seeing all these people in the sports world getting tests.  
Here's how it happens, I have found out (sketchy-ish source, but I'll take what I can get for a 'just curious' TMZ-level question):

How asymptomatic celebrities, athletes, and billionaires are getting tested for the coronavirus when you can't (Business Insider, 3/19/2020)

* Celebrities and the ultrawealthy appear to have better access to tests for the novel coronavirus than ordinary Americans, and that's likely because they're hiring concierge doctors to ship their nasal swabs to private labs.

* The US is experiencing a shortage of tests for the virus, meaning that any tests given to the 1% reduce access for most Americans.

* President Trump addressed the apparent inequalities in testing at a press conference on Wednesday, saying that "perhaps that's been the story of life."

[Idris Elba] — like Kris Jenner, those NBA players, and other celebrities who have been able to get tested before showing symptoms — similarly most likely bypassed the CDC's testing requirements and backlog by using private labs to facilitate the coronavirus tests. Some wealthy people have hired concierge doctors to collect nasal swabs and blood samples in their homes to send out to private labs for testing.

While the federal government has made tests for the novel coronavirus free for all Americans, a test from a private lab may come at a steep cost. David Nazarian, a UCLA-trained concierge doctor who has tested patients for the virus, said that the coronavirus tests would cost "hundreds of dollars" — in addition to his regular fee.

Still, the doctors fielding requests for the coronavirus tests from wealthy patients aren't immune to public concerns about the well-off receiving priority treatment. The labs "are overwhelmed," Sari Eitches, another Los Angeles-based concierge physician, told Business Insider. "That's where the ethics of this comes into play, because I do have a lot of patients who naturally want to be tested just to be sure. [But] if we don't have enough lab employees to read the tests for everybody, we really do have to start triaging now. We have to make that decision. Are we going to triage based on your access due to your socioeconomic status?"
So ... where are private labs getting the tests? Or are they sending samples out of the country? I guess there is something of a black market for COVID tests, even if no one is calling it a black market.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy/italy-rushes-to-promote-new-doctors-to-relieve-coronavirus-crisis-idUSKBN214245

Italy rushes new doctors into service as coronavirus deaths rise above 2,500

ROME (Reuters) - Italy will rush 10,000 student doctors into service, scrapping their final exams, in an effort to help the struggling health service cope with the coronavirus which claimed another 345 lives.
Naaaah, I’m good.  Still not confident in my abilities and REALLY think I should wait until after finals to jump into the workforce.

😬

Friend in upstate NY just checked in. Spouse was notified yesterday morning that a coworker tested positive at their work site. Was fine most of the day yesterday, then last night around 10pm had a severe temperature spike to 101, dry coughing, and shortness of breath. By 2am no choice but the ER. Was told they're likely on "day 3" and that the worst comes at "day 10", and to check back then. Be prepared to be intubated. But they're not bad enough to be admitted, and they won't test until they are.

1 anecdotal data point.
So uh....where in upstate NY was this?

Virus Testing Experiment in Italian Town Appears to Have Halted COVID-19 (Newsweek, 3/19/2020)

Vò, a small town in northern Italy, could offer clues on to how to deal with the coronavirus after health authorities appear to have stopped the spread of COVID-19, preventing any new infections.

Italy's first death from COVID-19 was recorded in the northern town of Vò, a 3,300-strong community in the Province of Padua 30 miles (50 kilometers) from Venice. Scientists involved say it was an experimental initiative that enabled them to create a full "epidemiological picture" of COVID-19, Financial Times reports.

Since the start of the outbreak, authorities have been testing and retesting each of the town's inhabitants. The tests were performed on people whether or not they were displaying symptoms of the disease. By some reports, between a half and three-quarters of carriers in Vò, were asymptomatic.

Anyone who was found to be infected with the new coronavirus was then put into quarantine—as was everyone they had come into contact with.

Testing began in late February when roughly 3 percent of Vò residents were infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. Half were asymptomatic—therefore displayed no symptoms like fever, cough and shortness of breath typical of the disease. A second round of testing days later revealed the infection rate had fallen to 0.3 percent.

"On the second testing that was carried out, we recorded a 90 percent drop in the rate of positive cases. And of all the ones who were positive in the second testing, eight people were asymptomatic," said Professor Andrea Crisanti, an infections expert at Imperial College London on sabbatical at the University of Padua in Italy, Sky reports.

The success of the policy suggests aggressive testing combined with thorough quarantine of anyone who may be infected may help curb the outbreak in other places.

By testing everyone and not just those who showed symptoms, local authorities were able to quarantine asymptomatic carriers—something that could not be achieved with more typical testing methods used to confirm COVID-19 in people already showing signs of the illness.

"We were able to contain the outbreak here because we identified and eliminated the 'submerged' infections and isolated them," said Crisanti, who was taking part in the experiment during his sabbatical, speaking to Financial Times. "That is what makes the difference."

"It is clear that you cannot test all Italians—but you can test people close to those who are asymptomatic," said Crisanti, Sky reports. "We must use asymptomatic cases as an alarm bell to widen our action."

Meanwhile, a medical device company in the U.S. has received FDA approval and is set to produce a million tests a week.

On Wednesday, the World Health Organization urged more countries to test, isolate and trace any new cases of COVID-19 to contain the spread.

What do we know about testing policy and availability?
It depends, but they have a process for immediate testing at the beach parking lots on LI. No preapproval needed. You drive into a line of cars. You hold your license up to the window and they take your info. They have you put your window down slightly, they swab, you drive off, and they tell you in 2 days.  

It’s getting real. One person I work with has tested positive, others are being tested. Some of our friends are also being tested. 

Has anyone here confirmed positive, or immediate family positive?  Just curious how we are doing as a group. 

My wife is going to need a straight jacket soon. She now has a case of a 35-year-old mother with asthma who probably won't make it to tomorrow. The healthcare workers all say they have never seen anything like this. Many of them don't want to come back to work (which obviously would be a HUGE problem).

My kid went out with a friend to a video game store to trade in some games. I told him he is part of the problem and he was lucky his baseball bat was stored in the garage. Do video game stores really fall in the category as "an essential business?" Really? No offense to Game Stop, but how many germs are getting on all their game cases?

People . . . stay home and only go out for food and supplies (and work if you absolutely have to). And go wash your hands again . . . YOU MISSED A SPOT!!!!!!! Don't like it? Then go wash them again!

Virus Testing Experiment in Italian Town Appears to Have Halted COVID-19 (Newsweek, 3/19/2020)

Vò, a small town in northern Italy, could offer clues on to how to deal with the coronavirus after health authorities appear to have stopped the spread of COVID-19, preventing any new infections.

Italy's first death from COVID-19 was recorded in the northern town of Vò, a 3,300-strong community in the Province of Padua 30 miles (50 kilometers) from Venice. Scientists involved say it was an experimental initiative that enabled them to create a full "epidemiological picture" of COVID-19, Financial Times reports.

Since the start of the outbreak, authorities have been testing and retesting each of the town's inhabitants. The tests were performed on people whether or not they were displaying symptoms of the disease. By some reports, between a half and three-quarters of carriers in Vò, were asymptomatic.

Anyone who was found to be infected with the new coronavirus was then put into quarantine—as was everyone they had come into contact with.

Testing began in late February when roughly 3 percent of Vò residents were infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. Half were asymptomatic—therefore displayed no symptoms like fever, cough and shortness of breath typical of the disease. A second round of testing days later revealed the infection rate had fallen to 0.3 percent.

"On the second testing that was carried out, we recorded a 90 percent drop in the rate of positive cases. And of all the ones who were positive in the second testing, eight people were asymptomatic," said Professor Andrea Crisanti, an infections expert at Imperial College London on sabbatical at the University of Padua in Italy, Sky reports.

The success of the policy suggests aggressive testing combined with thorough quarantine of anyone who may be infected may help curb the outbreak in other places.

By testing everyone and not just those who showed symptoms, local authorities were able to quarantine asymptomatic carriers—something that could not be achieved with more typical testing methods used to confirm COVID-19 in people already showing signs of the illness.

"We were able to contain the outbreak here because we identified and eliminated the 'submerged' infections and isolated them," said Crisanti, who was taking part in the experiment during his sabbatical, speaking to Financial Times. "That is what makes the difference."

"It is clear that you cannot test all Italians—but you can test people close to those who are asymptomatic," said Crisanti, Sky reports. "We must use asymptomatic cases as an alarm bell to widen our action."

Meanwhile, a medical device company in the U.S. has received FDA approval and is set to produce a million tests a week.

On Wednesday, the World Health Organization urged more countries to test, isolate and trace any new cases of COVID-19 to contain the spread.
If I'm reading it right, this is exactly what the Chinese did.

So...speaking macro wise, I thought today was an interesting day.  Don't know why but I got this sense that from a 'getting used to the new normal' standpoint, a bit of a corner was turned.  The daily Presidential press conference has become less jarring insofar as it simply felt like an update.  The market finally had a relatively calm day in terms of where it wound up.  Even the announcement that the State Department was issuing it's most severe Level 4 guidance was greeted with a bit of a yawn.

Not saying we're on the way back up...could be that we are recognizing the journey ahead and are simply coming to grips with the hunkering down we're likely to be doing moving forward.  Whether that be WFH/SFH, social distancing, etc...don't know why, but I felt less on edge.

At the same time...on March 4, we had 158 total cases in the US.  Today, we saw that number surpassed in the amount of deaths from COVID-19.  We surpassed the 10K mark in terms of total cases exactly 16 days after that 158 number.  Based on my projections which I admit are based on very flimsy data sets that are available, we'll surpass 10K deaths on April 4...16 days from now.

I want to enjoy my perceived calm(er) of today. 

I've read some of the heartbreaking stories in the news and in this thread...right now they still seem like it's happening to someone else.  But I suspect in the coming days, I'll learn of my first COVID-19 positive cases, amongst friends/family/colleagues - heck perhaps even myself...and when the actual death numbers start to accelerate, I'm sure that will bring about new tensions/stress. 

I spoke to a buddy of mine who runs his own company for the first time in about a month...and it was actually comforting to hear that he was taking this just as seriously as I was.  He was the first of my 'circle' I could truly say that about.  I mentioned a long time ago on this thread (it feels like) that in my own family, I've been the one with the foresight goggles on so to speak.  They are understanding the situation more and more...but probably more at the level where I was a week/week and a half ago.  But they're catching up to me...and as the proliferation of this thing grows, I suspect their dawning will accelerate.  And for that, I'd like to thank everyone on this thread.  It's 'always-on' for me and it acts as an outlet for great info (the chloroquine development of todays Presidential briefing was foreshadowed here yesterday - perhaps earlier) as well as camarderie.  The 'all in this together?'...for me that started here.

Stay safe.

These countries are literally giving us a blueprint for successful strategies a few days/weeks in advance. I sincerely hope we follow it for the good of everyone. The accounts of people going to the beach or having a beer in the community have me skeptical that we can though. Thanks for posting this, very informative.

These countries are literally giving us a blueprint for successful strategies a few days/weeks in advance. I sincerely hope we follow it for the good of everyone. The accounts of people going to the beach or having a beer in the community have me skeptical that we can though. Thanks for posting this, very informative.
Italy has the highest fatality rate of any country. Your definition of blueprint for successful strategy is really quite bizarre.  

Mrs. O just told me the O family’s Type O blood makes us less susceptible to this thing. That true?

O-tastic!
There was a study saying this. I don't believe it's on the level of near-immunity, though. I don't know how big of a difference in susceptibility there really is between blood types. I have not seen where the study was corroborated or repeated by other researchers.

Mrs. O just told me the O family’s Type O blood makes us less susceptible to this thing. That true?

O-tastic!
I think @Terminalxylem commented on that earlier in this thread. Please correct me if I'm wrong but there does appear to be some evidence to support this. Not rock solid.

Hoping this is true, would be nice to get something back for doing my duty as a universal donor all these years.

The article was not about an Italy-wide strategy -- it was about testing in an individual town.
I read the article about a town in the country with the highest fatality rate in the world right now.  Nobody should be following their blueprints for anything.

Italy has the highest fatality rate of any country. Your definition of blueprint for successful strategy is really quite bizarre.  
The thread moves fast, I was specifically referring to the article posted by @Doug B with the title “Virus Testing in Italian Town Appears to Have Halted Covid-19”. It’s an informative article if you have a chance to read, it offers an approach that appears to have worked in one Italian town. 

I have no idea what my blood type is
Go and donate if you're able. They'll tell you what your blood type is. I imagine there probably aren't as many blood drives as usual going on right now, but try reaching out to your local Red Cross chapter or nearby hospitals.

The thread moves fast, I was specifically referring to the article posted by @Doug B with the title “Virus Testing in Italian Town Appears to Have Halted Covid-19”. It’s an informative article if you have a chance to read, it offers an approach that appears to have worked in one Italian town. 
lol containing 3300 people is not very difficult.  If some rural Montana town has no cases, I guess it’s safe to infer there won’t be a big problem in New York City.

Businesses allowed to stay open in Miami Dade County: "construction sites, engineering firms, pet-supply stores, pool and landscaping services, and childcare if administered to groups of 10 or fewer."

The order also included exemptions for grocery stores, pharmacies, banks, and other businesses considered vital to daily life. That includes all government buildings, coin laundries, healthcare providers, taxi operations, and carryout and delivery services from restaurants.

Childcare, which i believe includes preschools up to age 4, has been important for nurses and doctors where I work.  But there is a risk in transmitting to others.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241332376.html

Several articles just today asking for donations as the need is expected to rise. My question is, can the blood be tested? Someone with the virus but no symptoms would potentially pass along a blood bag full of CV, no?
No.

Individuals are not at risk of contracting COVID-19 through the blood donation process or via a blood transfusion, since respiratory viruses are generally not known to be transmitted by donation or transfusion. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration continues to report that there have been no reported or suspected cases of transfusion-transmitted COVID-19 to date. In addition, no cases of transfusion-transmission were ever reported for the other two coronaviruses that emerged during the past two decades (SARS, the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus, and MERS-CoV, which causes Mideast Respiratory Syndrome).

Routine blood donor screening measures – which may include travel deferrals – are already in place to prevent individuals with clinical respiratory infections from donating blood and ensuring the safety of the blood supply.

Maryland)

Text I just got: (and it’s prolly just nonsense/hyperbole)

Heads up, a friend in the Maryland National Guard said to go buy anything needed before 5pm today.  Expect stuff to be complete lockdown.

I give it 70% of being right.  He just got activated for full-time duty two days ago ... somethings up.
It sounds like this is coming to Chicago at 5 CST as well. We will know for certain soon. Sorry if a Honda - still a few pages behind

Here's how it happens, I have found out (sketchy-ish source, but I'll take what I can get for a 'just curious' TMZ-level question):

So ... where are private labs getting the tests? Or are they sending samples out of the country? I guess there is something of a black market for COVID tests, even if no one is calling it a black market.
You can buy the only "unique" reagent and controls to test for the virus for "research purposes only" for about $200, and it is enough for hundreds of tests. As long as you have the other items needed for qPCR, which almost any scientific lab would, it is trivial to do "homegrown" testing. I literally bought a research kit myself, though I have not actually opened it to see if anyone wants to get tested. I assume as long as you don't charge people for tests no one will come after you? It is not CDC approved, but there is no reason why the data would not be accurate. Pretty sure that is how Seattle was getting so many tests done before anyone else, just using "for research only" kits.

O-tastic!
Also type O. :hifive:

I used to get calls constantly to donate blood. I think they figured out years ago that weaning alcoholic vampires off the bottle was all it was really good for. 

Users who are viewing this thread