What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

It's been 2 days.

Total cases up over 13,000 and total deaths have doubled to 175.
Again - not to be a debbie downer but my guess is when this is all said and done we are going to see a lot more deaths that were from CV but never test-corroborated.

Yeah, the actual list is very long of places that can stay open. And it’s confusing imo
For the most part it makes sense,  but there are still a lot of question marks. For me specifically, I work for an engineering company (shut down) conducting asbestos, mold, lead, and other hazardous material inspections, sampling, and remediation (allowed) oversight. So if a remediation contractor needs me to do oversight or clearance sampling, is that allowed or not? I have a feeling I know what my company is going to say, but I’m not sure it’s the same answer the government will ultimately give. 

“The following are considered “life-sustaining” businesses and will stay open, according to WPXI in Pittsburgh:

Grocery stores

Pharmacies

Gas stations

Beer distributors

Transit and transportation systems

Taxi services”

🍺🍺🍺
We're way ahead of you:

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-colorado-bars-restaurants-dmv-closed/

"In Summit County, leaders not only prohibited dine-in service at restaurants, but ordered all lodging, including Airbnb rentals, and retail businesses to close — except for banks, grocery stores, liquor stores, marijuana dispensaries, pharmacies and gas stations."

This is the problem with people/media.  Nobody questions the worst case scenarios, but any positive signs from the originating country must be lies/erroneous reporting.
It's directed in broad terms across the Chinese Govt and NYTimes, many folks share that view point, it wasn't meant to be offensive and even if you were offended it certainly doesn't make your statement correct. It's not a "problem" to not trust the Communist Chinese or the hard left agenda driven NYTimes. Most Americans don't trust Communists. 

Not that I'm doubting you, but could you confirm that it was actually your family member that this happened to?

Rumors spread when the chain-of-custody breaks down. Nobody wants to say "I heard from a friend that the fire department just knocked on their family member's door...", so they delete the first part of the sentence to make it sound more believable.

Again, I'm not doubting you. I'm just saying that this sort of thing happens all. the. time.
"My wife teaches elementary school and has twins in her class named orangejello and lemonjello."

So if a grocery store specifically tells you to come in during their special shopping hours for the “older community” and you aren’t above the age they are targeting, would you go shop then? Asking for a friend. 
My elderly parents have asked me to pick up some groceries for them early tomorrow morning (during the special "senior citizen" shopping hours). My dad said that he called the store manager and got permission for me to do it.

No way am I going. I don't want to get shunned like Handicapped Parking Space Guy.

I'll be waiting in the parking lot until exactly 9:01 a.m. and then I'll try to dodge the black death with the rest of the rabble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Santa Rita inmates are being released from Alameda County Jail in Dublin. Worst cases released are assaults. These inmates have underlying health problems. Awesome. They can't get the homeless off the streets and healthcare folks are begging for help and more supplies. 

So when everything shuts down for 30 days (which needs to happen asap) how do you propose people buy groceries or pay any of their bills?
Good question.

Give $1k per adult, $500 per person who need it.  Those who dont need it can opt-out.

If people lose their jobs, they should also get unemployment.

If that isnt enough, :shrug: .  What was their plan for losing their job before CV?

Im not trying to be a jerk, but we cant simply pay everyone's bills.  Maybe people need to move?  Maybe they need to apply for services, food stamps, etc.  What was their plan before all of this?

How many firefighters in SF?  How many would need to still man stations

how long would it take them to go door to door, assume during normal hours?

From 2010 census 345,000 households

from wiki 1449 fire department employees in SF.  Let’s just assume 500 per shift, so let’s say 1000 off shift employees are doing the notification

345 households per FF, let’s say 1 min per household so looks like this could be done in an 8 hour shift

more plausible than I thought but still skeptical 

Good question.

Give $1k per adult, $500 per person who need it.  Those who dont need it can opt-out.

If that isnt enough, :shrug: .  What was their plan for losing their job before CV?

Im not trying to be a jerk, but we cant simply pay everyone's bills.  Maybe people need to move?  Maybe they need to apply for services, food stamps, etc.  What was their plan before all of this?
I think the idea is that most people, even if they lost their job unexpectedly, weren’t also expecting to be unable to go quickly find another job. Like right now. It’s different than just losing a job on Tuesday and then interviewing on Wednesday.

New York State has 5367 confirmed cases, but 3615 are from New York City alone. That means New York City alone has nearly 3 times as many as the 2nd highest state (Washington  - 1376).

If a week from now they aren't worse than Italy, I will be surprised. 

This is a scary number, like our approach is wrong.  We should be closer to 75%.
Especially when you keep hearing stories of how difficult it is to get a test.  If they are reserving tests for those who meet a certain level of symptomatic criteria, I would also expect a much higher number.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Good question.

And this is why there needs to be careful consideration on when businesses and schools are shut down.  

Donation drives going on here. Hoarders who went overboard can donate sanitizers, sanitizer wipes, gloves, masks to your local hospitals. A dude here gave boxes of gloves he manufactures to a hospital for free. 

Not that I'm doubting you, but could you confirm that it was actually your family member that this happened to?

Rumors spread when the chain-of-custody breaks down. Nobody wants to say "I heard from a friend that the fire department just knocked on their family member's door...", so they delete the first part of the sentence to make it sound more believable.

Again, I'm not doubting you. I'm just saying that this sort of thing happens all. the. time.
It was from my sister, to her siblings only.  I will call my niece directly now.  She is the one who got the knock.

I actually went straight to the grocery store, even though I have quite a bit of rations, and no joke, the first guy I saw there was my sister's husband.

I think the idea is that most people, even if they lost their job unexpectedly, weren’t also expecting to be unable to go quickly find another job. Like right now. It’s different than just losing a job on Tuesday and then interviewing on Wednesday.
maybe the Gov could hit the pause button for everyone in a time of national emergency. No payments of any debts rent mortgage or anyother until emergency is over.

Just got a robo-call from our borough. All non-essential businesses closed starting tomorrow at 8pm. Bars and restaurants are open for take-out only and must close at 8pm. Bergen County, NJ. 
So, is this a county-wide shut down?  Or is this coming from the state level?

I think that is what they are hoping for.  That the governor shuts it down so it isn't "their fault".. 

That's just horribly stupid. If people can reasonably do their jobs from home, they should be home. Full stop. 
It is horribly stupid.  One of the board members was like, but everyone is going to get it anyway...

You work for idiots.  No offense.
None taken. It will be one less idiot there after the dust settles...

New York State has 5367 confirmed cases, but 3615 are from New York City alone. That means New York City alone has nearly 3 times as many as the 2nd highest state (Washington  - 1376).

If a week from now they aren't worse than Italy, I will be surprised. 
NYC will explode with cases.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Same for me. We had a discussion about this sometime last week ... IIRC, @Terminalxylem found out that untreated hypertension was the risk factor, not merely being a hypertension patient who is managing with medicine.

Could have been @Tecumseh , @ProstheticRGK , or @ghostguy123. Pretty sure it was Terminalxylem, though.
It wasn’t me, though untreated BP is clearly a greater general health risk. IIRC, the studies which found the association didn’t stipulate whether it was treated or untreated. Because C-19 can cause cardiac damage, my guess is many of those with HTN are at greater risk because of undiagnosed heart disease.

My understanding is that it is the drugs used to control hypertension that cause the issues.
This is all theoretical. There are mental gymnastics which allow one to believe ACE inbitors and angiotensin receptor blockers (two classes of BP meds) could be helpful or harmful in C-19 infection. Basically, they cause the virus’ receptor in lung cells to be up regulated...some reason this is bad, because the virus has more sites to bind, others stipulate the extra receptors are helpful in cleaning up all the displaced angiotensin I and II. It all boils down to whether the virus itself is causing the damage, or the body’s response to it.

Bottom line, we don’t really know if treated or untreated BP is a bigger risk for COVID mortality. It would be helpful if subsequent studies elaborated what BP meds people are taking, so we can at least see if there is any association between the classes which interact directly or indirectly with the SARS-CoV-2 ACE-2 binding site.

Information I just received is that 10-day lockdown soon to be implemented nationwide...mandated by Fed and enforced by National Guard.  Will only be allowed to leave during scheduled times to grocery store.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is what they are hoping for.  That the governor shuts it down so it isn't "their fault".. 

It is horribly stupid.  One of the board members was like, but everyone is going to get it anyway...

None taken. It will be one less idiot there after the dust settles...
I read a great post on Reddit that said that after this is over, one of the best questions to ask potential employers when interviewing will be how they handled this and what did they do for their employees. That will give you just about all the insight you need on whether they actually value employees as people or not.

GF just got home from Destin. 18 college kids eating crawfish and playing B.S. with her 8 year old for a few hours. I got to give her the stiff arm tonight as I got some extra work dumped on me at 5 pm, and I'll be working the rest of the night, but those walking petri dishes will be home on Saturday and infecting errbody in this city by Saturday. I guess I'm due to get it tomorrow night if I can't come up with a good excuse.

Just got a robo-call from our borough. All non-essential businesses closed starting tomorrow at 8pm. Bars and restaurants are open for take-out only and must close at 8pm. Bergen County, NJ. 
Thanks for this, makes me feel better about my 85 year old grandma up there.

Information I just received is that 10-day lockdown soon to be implemented nationwide...mandated by Fed and enforced by National Guard.  Will only be allowed to leave during scheduled times to grocery store.
Information from who? And does that mean you can’t go to the drug store to get medication? Or to a hardware store to get stuff to fix your pipe when it breaks and starts flooding your house when you’re stuck at home?

Users who are viewing this thread