What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

Information from who? And does that mean you can’t go to the drug store to get medication? Or to a hardware store to get stuff to fix your pipe when it breaks and starts flooding your house when you’re stuck at home?
From what I heard, at least here in Jersey is that if we go on shelter and stay in place we will be allowed to go to the grocery store and pharmacy one day a week depending on either our last name or license plate number.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was from my sister, to her siblings only.  I will call my niece directly now.  She is the one who got the knock.

I actually went straight to the grocery store, even though I have quite a bit of rations, and no joke, the first guy I saw there was my sister's husband.
Sounds like a really funny family joke at this point.

Isn't this pretty much true anywhere in the US?  Why is the overall positive rate only around 10% if that is the case?
Can’t answer that without examining age groups, sex, race, etc. Right now the sample is skewed one way only. 

My sister-in-law is getting tested tomorrow. Her symptoms aren't exactly typical COVID19 but she's a visiting nurse working with vulnerable populations. We're just glad she's able to get tested so we'll know.

My 80 y/o step-mom (married my dad 40 years ago) taken to the hospital in Sarasota with chest pains.  Now scheduled for a triple bypass tomorrow.  No travel, no visitors. Dad can’t stay with her.  😡😢
Wow...that sucks.  Wishing the best for you

Anyone else hearing tomorrow is the day they shut everything down? It’s rumor that someone is spreading daily but someone w DOD ties related this one.l so was curious if anyone else is hearing it.....going to kill us at work with a closing. 
If you're going to post something like this, post EXACTLY where you are hearing it. Preferably with a link.

If you don't have a link, post exactly where you heard it. 

Not that I'm doubting you, but could you confirm that it was actually your family member that this happened to?

Rumors spread when the chain-of-custody breaks down. Nobody wants to say "I heard from a friend that the fire department just knocked on their family member's door...", so they delete the first part of the sentence to make it sound more believable.

Again, I'm not doubting you. I'm just saying that this sort of thing happens all. the. time.
You were right.  That's not what happened.  VERY sorry.

Here's the gist.  The neighbor is a fireman and came over and said they should prepare for that.  As in worst case scenario.  And that his FD has done that.

VERY sorry about that.  Called my sister and asked why she texted such specifics and she was like, well that's he said. 🙄

My elderly parents have asked me to pick up some groceries for them early tomorrow morning (during the special "senior citizen" shopping hours). My dad said that he called the store manager and got permission for me to do it.

No way am I going. I don't want to get shunned like Handicapped Parking Space Guy.

I'll be waiting in the parking lot until exactly 9:01 a.m. and then I'll try to dodge the black death with the rest of the rabble.
Can you do Amazon Fresh and have it directly sent to their house? Or have one of those online shopping with pick up options (like Wegmans)? Not sure where you live. 

Isn't this pretty much true anywhere in the US?  Why is the overall positive rate only around 10% if that is the case?
Well, except for the rich and famous of course.

Amazing how all these NBA players can get tested despite showing NO symptoms. And yet tons of people out there with actual symptoms can’t get tested unless they are bad enough to end up on a ventilator. This is outrageous.

If you're going to post something like this, post EXACTLY where you are hearing it. Preferably with a link.

I get why you're asking but a lot of people that post here have ties to agencies in the Federal Gov't.  They can't always post HOW they know something.  Would you prefer they not post at all?  

Mayor Eric Garcetti @MayorOfLA

I’m issuing a Safer at Home emergency order — ordering all residents of @LACity

to stay inside their homes and immediately limit all nonessential movement. We’re taking this urgent action to limit the spread of COVID-19 and save lives.

Would it be less painful for the economy to shut down the country entirely for 1 month and see if we can stop this or drag it on for months the way we are doing it now?  At some point I think we need to go all in.
IMO, that should have been the strategy all along but without all the wasted time in the middle, the masses would not have bought in. We probably should have gone with this option two weeks ago. Or after the NBA closed up shop. 

Sorry I thought I mentioned it was a rumor but know the rules evolve.....it’s a coworker of my wife who’s parent is DOD. That’s all I got, if you need me to delete since there’s no link no problem just say the word. Was just curious if anyone else had heard, never claimed it was fact. My bad. 

I have no idea what most of that means, but sounds promising?

BTW, really appreciate your contributions in here.
Thanks. Sorry to use so much jargon. 

To clarify, high blood pressure seems to be a risk factor for death/severe COVID. Some drugs used to treat high BP have a mechanism which involves the receptor the virus uses to gain entry to lung cells. People have speculated those drugs may be helpful, or harmful in those who are infected. You can rationalize both possibilities, but we really don't have data to know one way or the other. 

Honestly, I think it won't pan out as having any clinical utility.

Guys, nobody is going to ask you and your family to starve to death.  Our food supply chain is in great shape.  Knock it off with this ####.
When I was at Sam's a couple of weeks ago, I grabbed 6 cans of Hormel chili. It's amazing the crap we ate as kids. I had a leftover sandwich from a restaurant last week which wasn't filling enough later at dinner. I'm quite positive those are getting donated to someone in the fall unless things get really bad. That stuff is horrible.

Someone I went to college with is a paramedic in New Orleans and has been posting short recaps of their days on the front lines:

So I'm going to try to update pretty regularly now to give y'all some insight into the front lines here re:coronavirus

Today (3/15), I got to work and everything felt was different and more serious than it did a few days ago when I was on the streets last. Got my "you don't have a fever" sticker and was updated on our new PPE policy, which seems to change daily. Had my first patient who I'm pretty sure has it. He had just gotten off a cruise ship (to Mexico and back) this morning, he looked like ####, his lungs sounded terrible, he had a fever/cough/vomiting, etc. Did my gown/goggle/mask combo and told [Coworker] not to get in the back with me to minimize people getting into contact with the patient.

Just found out a few hours later that he ended up testing negative for flu.

As it has been explained to me, people who test positive for the flu have approx 2% chance of testing positive for COVID-19. Therefore: if you're positive for flu, you're negative for corona. If you're negative for flu, then they decide whether to test you for COVID. In New Orleans, there are only maybe 100 or so tests available to each hospital so they are really having to selectively test people. This patient in question is being considered presumptive COVID positive.

At NOEMS we are out of disposable gowns due to national backorder. Services that are not currently out of gowns will be soon. Yesterday, we were supposed to wear gowns on any call that was suspected COVID. Today since we are out, they just changed the policy so now we are wearing them if we administer some sort of nebulized aerosol treatment (ex: albuterol for asthma/wheezing). Most of the COVID patients are wheezing and would it would be indicated that they receive one of these treatments. My guy this morning was wheezing but I didn't give him a treatment because his oxygen saturation was fine and he didn't have any respiratory history.

All of the emergency rooms at every hospital are pretty much completely full. NOEMS has a policy that we implement in cases like this called "rotation" which is us literally just going down the list of hospitals in order. Normally we really only go on rotation during Mardi Gras, when we have an overload of random drunk people to deal with. Rotation is not normal and we've been on rotation since about 10 am.

I am currently listening to an all-staff conference call about COVID-19. We've never had a conference call before and there are a plethora of technological problems lol some things never change.

So basically: everything continues to be a mess. It will continue to be a mess. Don't go to the hospital unless you are straight up dying. There aren't enough testing kits nationwide, so if you try to get a test, you'll probably just accidentally get exposed to coronavirus in the waiting room.

Yesterday (3/16) was pretty much more of the same. All the hospitals are beyond capacity. Still on rotation with no signs of stopping. Most ER waiting rooms have people with fevers of 103 not getting rooms because there are no rooms to put people in. I've been picking up more and more people with all the signs and symptoms of CV and they're like "I feel terrible" and I'm like "I'm sorry, there's really not that much I can do" and it sucks!

There was one person that I picked up out of his home where I looked at him and was thought to myself "you're a goner" and am fairly convinced that he is likely to die in the hospital and never to return to his house. This is not the first time that I've had this thought in my career but it is the first time I've had this thought under these new circumstances. It's a sobering experience.

But amongst all this CV disaster, people still have other medical emergencies that also never stop! Sunday night I ran a really ####ed up miscarriage call that went sideways that was pretty upsetting. Shootings are down (for now) but for whatever reason people have been hitting pedestrians a lot this weekend.

I'm off today, taking today as a well deserved rest. I don't know how many off days I'm going to realistically have coming up in the future because as my coworkers begin to get sick, they'll probably end up activating us and forcing us to work on our off days (like a hurricane activation). They already unilaterally cancelled all vacation requests so all of my vacations that I've been looking forward to are now not an option.

Yesterday (3/18) was both better and worse than I expected. The day started out pretty slow, and then rapidly returned to the new regular #### show. Absolutely had patients yesterday who are going to come back positive on their COVID tests. The problem is that we technically never know for people who don't have the obvious symptoms. Had a patient with a temp 103.8, a new personal record for me for someone not having a heat stroke.

People often call us to their house to "get checked out just to be safe" but the problem is that, besides being not particularly helpful bc we can pretty much only check your vitals and do an EKG, is that they have now completely rendered their self-quarantine useless by having us come into contact with them. It's very much like inviting a vampire into your house. I am absolutely a vector and now you have summoned me to your home and I'm in your house, accidentally transmitting it to you and spreading germs all over you and your stuff while you're already sick/elderly/immunocompromised. There's really nothing I can do about it, if we get a call, we have to respond. And I feel so bad because it's mostly people who have fallen through the cracks of society (poor people, people of color, elderly people, drug users, people experiencing homelessness, undocumented people, single moms, people without health insurance or transportation, some combination of the above) and don't have health care beyond 911 who call us for this sort of thing and they are, of course, the people who are likely to be susceptible to this whole thing. They are ALSO most affected by the impending local economic decimation. We here in New Orleans rely on the tourism/food/drink/entertainment industry for a large part of our economy. Everything is currently shut down, and we are rapidly approaching a complete economic disaster. There are no jobs and no money. Most people in New Orleans are already living paycheck to paycheck and there is currently essentially no plan for how to alleviate that. I know I'm going to be absolutely fine, money-wise, throughout this whole thing because I'm an "essential employee." But I'm really worried about everyone else.

Also: Worked my first suspected COVID code (cardiac arrest) yesterday. We're still out of gowns so I had a pair of safety glasses (my own personal ones from when I was in construction) and a ####ty N-95 mask (that I'd already been using for the past three calls). I don't want everyone to get the wrong idea here-- I work codes pretty regularly, it's all part of the territory. But this was a particularly bad one. It was a million degrees in this house, I was pouring sweat, I couldn't breathe through my mask, we had to pull this woman out of her house, I got and pulse back and lost it multiple times, I was worried about getting droplets on me, I got my hand stuck underneath a piece of equipment at some point, a family member was legitimately speaking in tongues at the ambulance as we were trying to load the patient up. They called it (stopped resuscitation efforts) at the hospital but idk if they're even going to test her for CV. The numbers are real skewed, it's hard to get accurate data when they're not testing people.

My captain pulled me aside at the end of the shift and told me continue to stay safe and continue to look out for [Coworker] and that he was proud of me and I almost cried.

Mayor Eric Garcetti @MayorOfLA

I’m issuing a Safer at Home emergency order — ordering all residents of @LACity

to stay inside their homes and immediately limit all nonessential movement. We’re taking this urgent action to limit the spread of COVID-19 and save lives.
Until April 19th, maybe longer. Geez.

I know that WM is closing earlier, so their stocking policies are different, but I've never seen as Neighborhood Market as bare as the one I just walked out of. All of the standard caveats. The supply chain in Italy and Wuhan still worked. No one is likely to be want of food in this country. It was still weird.

I also believe the whatever we're calling the generation after millennials and the Boomers have essentially the same views on this pandemic. I'm having to mend fences with my (early 60s) dad who is upset I won't come to a fantasy baseball draft with a bunch of retired cops and we've obviously all seen the videos of the dum dums in downtown Nashville and the beaches in Fla. It seems like to 25-55 crowd is taking this more seriously than everyone else. Purely anecdotal. It seems like most in that bracket are having to stress to their parents how serious this is. The under 25 crowd is filled with the hubris of the drunk.

My 80 y/o step-mom (married my dad 40 years ago) taken to the hospital in Sarasota with chest pains.  Now scheduled for a triple bypass tomorrow.  No travel, no visitors. Dad can’t stay with her.  😡😢
Buddy of mine been battling cancer for two years now.  Attack/remission/attach/remission.  Now attack.  Close to death, in icu in local hospital.  Pastor can't visit, WIFE can't visit.  She sat in the car for 2 hours crying when she dropped him off because they wouldn't let her in.  It's understandable, but it sucks anyway.

CNBC: Here are some of the details of the plan, according to Senate Republicans:

• Cash payments of up to $1,200 would go to individuals, with up to $2,400 for couples. The sum would increase by $500 for every child. The check totals would start to phase out above $75,000 in adjusted gross income based on 2018 tax returns. People with no federal tax liability would get only $600. 
  • Extend the tax filing deadline to July 15 from April 15. 
  • Corporations could delay estimated tax payments until Oct. 15. Employers and self-employed people could delay payroll taxes. 
  • Up to  $50 billion for airlines, $8 billion for cargo air carriers, and $150 billion for other severely distressed businesses. The government has the right to “participate in the gains” of any business it lends money to.
  • For two years, no executive at a company receiving a business loan may make more than $425,000 in total compensation. Executives whose salary has already been determined through collective bargaining agreements may be exempt from that restriction.
  • Any company with less than 500 employees is entitled to a small business loan. The cap of that loan is either $10 million or the average of monthly payments. Businesses use the loan to pay for payroll including paid sick leave, salaries, mortgages, rent, utilities or other debt obligations. 
  • All private health plans must cover testing without cost-sharing and increase funding for community health centers. It also aims to spur the hiring of more health care professionals to fight the pandemic.
  • The plan gives the Education Department authority to suspend federal student loan payments for up to three months.
75k/person or 75k/household?

When I was at Sam's a couple of weeks ago, I grabbed 6 cans of Hormel chili. It's amazing the crap we ate as kids. I had a leftover sandwich from a restaurant last week which wasn't filling enough later at dinner. I'm quite positive those are getting donated to someone in the fall unless things get really bad. That stuff is horrible.
In a large bowl combine in this order: Philly cream cheese, Hormel chili, shredded cheese....nuke for 4 minutes, then mix thoroughly....tortilla chips and a side of sour cream. 

Hormel chili is good again and get you through a meal.

The upside to me is...in addition to having time to run every morning, sit down and eat at a decent pace, and other general daily habits that are helpful...my wife and are truly blessed to be able to spend the time we are now with our 2-yr-old and 5-mo-old.  I know it's different than with teens. Multiple hours a day more than we would going to work and daycare.  Every meal together. I'm trying to teach my 2-yr-old how to swim.

This time can't be replaced, at this age.  
Congrats GB - that's a wonderful sentiment and great attitude to have.  I want to murder everyone in my house.

First CPD officer to get COVID-19. A detective in Homan Square (erroneously known as some type of 'black site'). Beck (interim Superintendent) sent out an email letting the dept. know, this was a part of it:

“This individual will remain at home on quarantine until a clean bill of health has been issued,” Beck wrote. “All members who work in close contact with this individual have been notified and advised to continue to report for work and self-monitor for any symptoms.”

So much for self-quarantining. I expect this to spread through the department. City is scared of losing too many coppers.

I was notified today by my boss that I was in proximity to someone in my workgroup that has tested positive for COVID-19. I’m under self-quarantine for 14 days back to last week when I would have been in the same room as the person. 

I don’t have any symptoms and feel fine but it’s still not fun to hear. From what I understand, the person left work during their shift with a fever. I’ve been working from home anyway and it’s a good thing we’re stocked up on food since I can’t go out for the next several days. 

WNEP in Pennsylvania just reported that Governor Wolf has ordered all non-Life sustaining businesses in Pennsylvania to close their physical locations by 8 PM tonight
No joke, this was the last message I saw, 250 responses ago.  Ran to double stock up on the Lixx as they may one day make the insane decision that liquor stores are not essential / life sustaining. 

Did some math. Have about one month at a not especially healthy but not completely over the top clip of drinking. 

Also have the most diversely stocked bar I've maybe ever had (a few rums, a couple different ryes, bourbon (over proofed, ), tequila, Aperol, Cynar, Gin, some Five Farms Irish Creme, a half dozen bitters... Few bottles of wine and some beer, but those are more week to week. If #### hits the fan, the lixx should get me a month.

Probably have 2-3 months of 420 (not that much, it's just unless I have a bunch of friends over, which I won't, can only go through so much).

Oh, and probably a month for TP or replacements (Kleenex).

ETA: Ok, now back to the abject horror that may actual await.

Total Cases per 1 million in population

Italy 679
Switzerland 455
New York City 420
Spain 372
Norway 324
Austria 224
Iran 219
About 5,000 new cases today alone

Yesterday we ended up a little over 9,250 and before the end of today we should pass 14,000+

2/15-15 known cases total

2/27-60 cases total

3/05-221

3/10-994

March 11th 1301 +300

March 12th 1697 +400

March 13th 2247 +550

March 14th 2940 +700

March 15th 3680 +740

March 16th 4663 +1,000

March 17th 6411 +1,800

March 18th 9259 +2800

today looks like we are going to come close to if not eclipse 5,000+ new cases. 

When will that number level out? Almost 14,000 cases now, does 500,000 infected sound possible? Several Million?

About 5,000 new cases today alone

Yesterday we ended up a little over 9,250 and before the end of today we should pass 14,000+

2/15-15 known cases total

2/27-60 cases total

3/05-221

3/10-994

March 11th 1301 +300

March 12th 1697 +400

March 13th 2247 +550

March 14th 2940 +700

March 15th 3680 +740

March 16th 4663 +1,000

March 17th 6411 +1,800

March 18th 9259 +2800

today looks like we are going to come close to if not eclipse 5,000+ new cases. 

When will that number level out? Almost 14,000 cases now, does 500,000 infected sound possible? Several Million?
If they don't quarantine NYC, it alone will have several million. 

Users who are viewing this thread