What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

NHI did a sample of 355 deaths in Italy and nearly half had 3+ preexisting health conditions.  

Every time someone dies from this virus, their age and general health should be documented.

All this panic in the media reminds me of an officer involved shooting.

Headline:  ”Police shoot another minority!”

Two days later, we find out he was wanted for murder, was armed, and shot at the police in a tiny blurb at the bottom of the page.
What percentage of people in this country are obese (not yet linked to C-19, but a problem in flu), diabetic or hypertensive? Middle aged or older?

How many at-risk individuals do you need to justify containment measures?

335 Cases Closed at the moment including 214 deaths and 121 recovered. That doesn't look very good however...

13,585 Active Cases...almost 100% show mild symptoms with only 64 in serious or critical condition and 13,521 in Mild Condition. 

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Context:

- Every spring I get a mild-to-moderate chest cold.....with nasal drip and a cough.  (too much info)   

- My son had strep two weeks ago; he was home with strep + an unexplained fever for 8 days pre-quarantine; my wife and I both had mild fevers + fatigue a week before our son got sick (so basically 3-4 weeks ago now)

Current situation:

- For about 4-5 days, I've been starting to my usual "spring symptoms"; didn't know if it was CV or something more major, so when those symptoms popped up late Saturday, my quarantine went into full effect

- Cough is still very mild; other symptoms are manageable with OTC medication

- BFF and fiancee both have meaningful fatigue; he hasn't told me what temperature his fiancee has been measured at yet

- Trying to find humor in the whole thing, everyone jokes that she looks part Asian (even though she isn't) and it really pisses her off.  So he and I make a lot of jokes about how he's going to marry an Asian woman.   When he called a little while ago to tell me they were getting tested for CV, my first response was "holy ****, hope you are both ok!"   My second response was "tell her that I knew I was going to get CV from an Asian woman."   Thankfully he laughed.
UPDATE:   my friend and his fiancee have both tested negative.   Both of them are ill, but not with coronavirus.   I'm happy for both of them, relieved for both of them.   There isn't any guarantee that they weren't exposed that night - ditto for me.   This whole situation has been a very real reminder of what we're dealing with in these times.  The smartest thing to do is just stay home, stay safe, respect the quarantine.   I can't begin to describe the fear I've felt since hearing that the two of them might have the virus - AND that I might theoretically be exposed.  It feels a hell of a lot more real when someone you care deeply for is waiting for a test.

Just be smart.  Learn from my dumb decision.  Sincerely.   It wasn't worth the heartache.   Just stay home.

I was notified today by my boss that I was in proximity to someone in my workgroup that has tested positive for COVID-19. I’m under self-quarantine for 14 days back to last week when I would have been in the same room as the person. 

I don’t have any symptoms and feel fine but it’s still not fun to hear. From what I understand, the person left work during their shift with a fever. I’ve been working from home anyway and it’s a good thing we’re stocked up on food since I can’t go out for the next several days. 
Why is it "14 days from being in the same room as the person"? Shouldn't it be "14 days from being in the same room with someone else who was in the same room as the person"?

CNBC: Here are some of the details of the plan, according to Senate Republicans:

• Cash payments of up to $1,200 would go to individuals, with up to $2,400 for couples. The sum would increase by $500 for every child. The check totals would start to phase out above $75,000 in adjusted gross income based on 2018 tax returns. People with no federal tax liability would get only $600. 
  • Extend the tax filing deadline to July 15 from April 15. 
  • Corporations could delay estimated tax payments until Oct. 15. Employers and self-employed people could delay payroll taxes. 
  • Up to  $50 billion for airlines, $8 billion for cargo air carriers, and $150 billion for other severely distressed businesses. The government has the right to “participate in the gains” of any business it lends money to.
  • For two years, no executive at a company receiving a business loan may make more than $425,000 in total compensation. Executives whose salary has already been determined through collective bargaining agreements may be exempt from that restriction.
  • Any company with less than 500 employees is entitled to a small business loan. The cap of that loan is either $10 million or the average of monthly payments. Businesses use the loan to pay for payroll including paid sick leave, salaries, mortgages, rent, utilities or other debt obligations. 
  • All private health plans must cover testing without cost-sharing and increase funding for community health centers. It also aims to spur the hiring of more health care professionals to fight the pandemic.
  • The plan gives the Education Department authority to suspend federal student loan payments for up to three months.
Automatic?  Anyone can file an extension to Oct 15. Previously it was payment delayed until July.  

Honest question: Pet stores/Vets open?
I was talking about this just a couple hours ago.  I think so, but perhaps order ahead and curbside no contact pick up, and/or essential supplies only.  So you can get food, meds/flea prevention, kitty litter - but you can wait a couple months for a new toy for the doggo. Just postulating, but in their own way, pet stores are life and death (if not human, but those closest to us).  That said, I've already thought about JUST in case - tomorrow I'm going to get a month or so of food, and then re-sign up for auto delivery from Chewy. 

While I know we need to limit going out, I also desperately need a new phone.  My 3-4 year old iphone is about to simply stop working, and I expect a LOT of phone calls and conferences in the coming months. Tried to go today, but they were already closed due to limited hours.  Went to BestBuy, because I needed a home printer/scanner.  The (quite nice) biz center in my building is now closed to limit common areas. 

However, was as cautious as possible, recognizing there is no perfect. Tried to limit touching things, was very liberal (don't @ me) with the hand sanitizer that is now always with me, and certainly not touching my face.  But also preparing to be able to limit future interaction as this gets worse, as much as possible.  I feel pretty close to prepared now, but the phone and pet food are kinda important last runs tomorrow.

As noted above, I'm stocked for lixx.  Even joking aside, gonna need that, especially if #### kinda goes rough for a while. Also have 6 weeks of food, on a par system with about a week of fresh food, some fresh that I froze, and a decent amount of canned/ramen/mixes/pasta/frozen and prepared frozen meats, veggies, fruits, soups.

So I'm going to head into work for bit tomorrow.

Our school district is going to have any willing part-time workers disinfect all of the campuses and admin facilities, which is the only way they can legally pay them during the shut down. I'm full-time with benefits, and get paid regardless, but I'm happy to do what I can to make sure these folks get paid, as they're among the real victims during this crisis.

They'll need to use the time clocks to punch in and out, and we've got 3 clocks down at different locations that I'll need to get up and running. But you better believe I'm going to slather those clocks with cleaning wipes before I touch them.

Running the risk here of sounding preachy and I apologize for that in advance.

Now isn’t the time to be going to public places and congregating with other people. Even if you are standing 6+ feet apart. Now is the time to be practicing extreme social distancing, not interacting with people, and generally staying home unless you really need to go out to pick up necessary supplies. 

Other countries have demonstrated how to counter this effectively. They implemented draconian measures for 30+ days and then started to see results. We need to have discipline and employ these measures each individually to do our part. Unfortunately we aren’t doing this collectively and I for the life of me cannot understand why.

Again, apologies for coming across like I know anything more or whatever. I just don’t get why we can’t understand what we’re up against here and the sacrifice we’re being asked to make. Which is to stay home, we can’t even do that? C’mon.
Agreed, this is how I now feel as well.

I'm changing my earlier thoughts about it being ok to stand around and have beers in the neighborhood.

It's not that the beers would be very risky, it's more the mixed message it sends to everyone participating or seeing it happen that we can sort of make exceptions.

To maximize our chances at flattening the curve as much as possible and to make the current "hardship" of isolating be as effective as possible, we really shouldn't make those exceptions.

Why is it "14 days from being in the same room as the person"? Shouldn't it be "14 days from being in the same room with someone else who was in the same room as the person"?
Good question. I think they went back to the last day that person was at work.

Since I’ve been working from home all week, the 14-day start date from last contact with anyone at work would be 3/13. 

On this note what is the thought process with donating blood

A coworker of mine does a blood drive and it has been canceled and he asked If he could have it at our facility.

My initial thought was of course not why would we want to have people brought together But now I'm wondering if it's needed and should be done
I'm super torn on this one, as I donate blood like clockwork as soon as I'm eligible again.

Because of C19, the Red Cross has a quickly growing blood shortage problem.

Has anyone donated in the last few days?... thoughts on how safe it would be to donate in the next few days?

Americans now have three more months to pay taxes, but still must file their returns or an extension by April 15.

While tax filers now have until July 15 to pay their 2019 tax bills, those who don’t owe the IRS money still must complete their returns by the original April 15 deadline.
Right, that's why it's pretty crappy for that news website to say the "filing deadline" is extended. 

I'm honestly not all that surprised by the spike of cases in NY, and I'd fully expect them to increase over the course of the next week to 10 days.

What does surprise is me is htf did Tokyo not get this type of impact?  

No joke, this was the last message I saw, 250 responses ago.  Ran to double stock up on the Lixx as they may one day make the insane decision that liquor stores are not essential / life sustaining. 

Did some math. Have about one month at a not especially healthy but not completely over the top clip of drinking. 

Also have the most diversely stocked bar I've maybe ever had (a few rums, a couple different ryes, bourbon (over proofed, ), tequila, Aperol, Cynar, Gin, some Five Farms Irish Creme, a half dozen bitters... Few bottles of wine and some beer, but those are more week to week. If #### hits the fan, the lixx should get me a month.

Probably have 2-3 months of 420 (not that much, it's just unless I have a bunch of friends over, which I won't, can only go through so much).

Oh, and probably a month for TP or replacements (Kleenex).

ETA: Ok, now back to the abject horror that may actual await.
Liquor and booze and 420, now we're talking. Total Wine was full the other day so I stocked up on red wine, champagne, tequila and craft beers. I also figured out they sell cases of water that everyone is fighting for at grocery stores. 

I took care of the other thing a week ago and probably have enough to hold me for a couple months if need be but I am used to grabbing fresh every 10-14 days. 

What percentage of people in this country are obese (not yet linked to C-19, but a problem in flu), diabetic or hypertensive? Middle aged or older?

How many at-risk individuals do you need to justify containment measures?
I’m sure it’s way too many.  Americans take little pride in their health and well being.

I have zero issues with a full lockdown for a month.  Let’s get the virus to die off and move on with our lives.  That sounds a million times better than speculating about how bad things will get during that time frame.

I'm honestly not all that surprised by the spike of cases in NY, and I'd fully expect them to increase over the course of the next week to 10 days.

Japan’s numbers are practically miraculous. <1,000 cases and 33 deaths as of today. Not to minimize any deaths whatsoever, but they have done well and thank goodness for that.

Fauci said we are just starting to go up the curve. If we do everything right, we may be through this in a few weeks. He was shown skyping with Zuckerberg answering questions today.

Worldometer March 20 01:45 GMT Update (The day is reset after midnight GMT+0.)

1. China: 80,967 (+39) confirmed, 3,248 (+3) deaths
  2. Italy: 41,035 (+5,322) confirmed, 3,405 (+427) deaths
  3. Iran: 18,407 (+1,046) confirmed, 1,284 (+149) deaths
  4. Spain: 18,077 (+3,308) confirmed, 831 (+193) deaths
  5. Germany: 15,320 (+2,993) confirmed, 44 (+16) deaths
  6. USA: 14,267 (+5,008) confirmed, 218 (+68) deaths
  7. France: 10,995 (+1,861) confirmed, 372 (+108) deaths
  8. S. Korea: 8,652 (+239) confirmed, 94 (+10) deaths
  9. Switzerland: 4,222 (+1,107) confirmed, 43 (+10) deaths
  10. UK: 3,269 (+643) confirmed, 144 (+40) deaths
  11. Netherlands: 2,460 (+409) confirmed, 76 (+18) deaths
  12. Austria: 2,179 (+314) confirmed, 6 (+2) deaths
  13. Belgium: 1,795 (+309) confirmed, 21 (+7) deaths
  14. Norway: 1,790 (+199) confirmed, 7 (+1) deaths
  15. Sweden: 1,439 (+138) confirmed, 11 (+1) deaths
  16. Denmark: 1,151 (+94) confirmed, 6 (+2) deaths
  17. Japan: 943 (+29) confirmed, 33 (+4) deaths
  18. Malaysia: 900 (+110) confirmed, 2 deaths
  19. Canada: 873 (+146) confirmed, 12 (+3) deaths
  20. Portugal: 786 (+144) confirmed, 4 (+2) deaths
If NYC were a country we’d be 10th.

From 423 Monday a.m. to 3,615 tonight.

Running the risk here of sounding preachy and I apologize for that in advance.

Now isn’t the time to be going to public places and congregating with other people. Even if you are standing 6+ feet apart. Now is the time to be practicing extreme social distancing, not interacting with people, and generally staying home unless you really need to go out to pick up necessary supplies. 

Other countries have demonstrated how to counter this effectively. They implemented draconian measures for 30+ days and then started to see results. We need to have discipline and employ these measures each individually to do our part. Unfortunately we aren’t doing this collectively and I for the life of me cannot understand why.

Again, apologies for coming across like I know anything more or whatever. I just don’t get why we can’t understand what we’re up against here and the sacrifice we’re being asked to make. Which is to stay home, we can’t even do that? C’mon.
Americans don’t respect authority though.  Hate the president, hate the police, hate the government.  Draconian measures would entice more Americans to act up.

So are you for or against bailouts for the airline or any other industry affected by this?
Honestly, against.  If they are given, which they will be, they need to come with enormous strings attached.  Like you can no longer buy back your own stock, it needs to be repaid eventually, other safeguards need to be put in place to prevent this ever needing to happen again.  

I’m sure it’s way too many.  Americans take little pride in their health and well being.

I have zero issues with a full lockdown for a month.  Let’s get the virus to die off and move on with our lives.  That sounds a million times better than speculating about how bad things will get during that time frame.
I agree with that strategy. We could be 7 days into that at least had we acted boldly. But Monday morning quarterbacking doesn’t help anything. All we can do is act now.

Americans don’t respect authority though.  Hate the president, hate the police, hate the government.  Draconian measures would entice more Americans to act up.
This is true and a big fear of mine.  It only takes a small percentage of idiotic Americans to act up to turn this into a disaster.

Got our  ** Official ** COVID protocol at work today.  Those of us working from home who are not high risk should come back to work to not set a precedence of more people wanting to work from home.  Check your temperature before coming to work (if possible).  If you have temp of 100.4 or higher, stay home.  Don't come back until 3 days after the fever breaks.   :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Wow.

Ours is almost at the other extreme.  If you have symptoms stay home for 14 days unless you test negative.  A guy here went to the hospital today from something unrelated and has to stay home for 5 days.

Worldometer March 20 01:45 GMT Update (The day is reset after midnight GMT+0.)

1. China: 80,967 (+39) confirmed, 3,248 (+3) deaths
  2. Italy: 41,035 (+5,322) confirmed, 3,405 (+427) deaths
  3. Iran: 18,407 (+1,046) confirmed, 1,284 (+149) deaths
  4. Spain: 18,077 (+3,308) confirmed, 831 (+193) deaths
  5. Germany: 15,320 (+2,993) confirmed, 44 (+16) deaths
  6. USA: 14,267 (+5,008) confirmed, 218 (+68) deaths
  7. France: 10,995 (+1,861) confirmed, 372 (+108) deaths
  8. S. Korea: 8,652 (+239) confirmed, 94 (+10) deaths
  9. Switzerland: 4,222 (+1,107) confirmed, 43 (+10) deaths
  10. UK: 3,269 (+643) confirmed, 144 (+40) deaths
  11. Netherlands: 2,460 (+409) confirmed, 76 (+18) deaths
  12. Austria: 2,179 (+314) confirmed, 6 (+2) deaths
  13. Belgium: 1,795 (+309) confirmed, 21 (+7) deaths
  14. Norway: 1,790 (+199) confirmed, 7 (+1) deaths
  15. Sweden: 1,439 (+138) confirmed, 11 (+1) deaths
  16. Denmark: 1,151 (+94) confirmed, 6 (+2) deaths
  17. Japan: 943 (+29) confirmed, 33 (+4) deaths
  18. Malaysia: 900 (+110) confirmed, 2 deaths
  19. Canada: 873 (+146) confirmed, 12 (+3) deaths
  20. Portugal: 786 (+144) confirmed, 4 (+2) deaths
Why do you think India hasn’t been hit hard?  Second populous country, dense major cities.

UPDATE:   my friend and his fiancee have both tested negative.   Both of them are ill, but not with coronavirus.   I'm happy for both of them, relieved for both of them.   There isn't any guarantee that they weren't exposed that night - ditto for me.   This whole situation has been a very real reminder of what we're dealing with in these times.  The smartest thing to do is just stay home, stay safe, respect the quarantine.   I can't begin to describe the fear I've felt since hearing that the two of them might have the virus - AND that I might theoretically be exposed.  It feels a hell of a lot more real when someone you care deeply for is waiting for a test.

Just be smart.  Learn from my dumb decision.  Sincerely.   It wasn't worth the heartache.   Just stay home.
If you don’t mind me asking, What were your friends  symptoms other than fatigue? Curious how they got tested. I probably missed part of the story but I’m very interested. Whatever it is that I’ve got now has me exhausted...I can barely walk across the room right now but my only other symptom now is headache and mild body aches. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Liquor and booze and 420, now we're talking. Total Wine was full the other day so I stocked up on red wine, champagne, tequila and craft beers. I also figured out they sell cases of water that everyone is fighting for at grocery stores. 

I took care of the other thing a week ago and probably have enough to hold me for a couple months if need be but I am used to grabbing fresh every 10-14 days. 
That's where we went today.

Oh, and my roommate is legit one of the better bartenders / cocktailers in Dallas.  We made our own tonic, some simple syrup... trying to make the best, cause already sense the stircrazy.

Yes, it can.

EDIT: Antibody tests are done via blood draw.
Dumb question then, I haven't heard this mentioned anywhere so probably not, but...

Will the Red Cross be testing donated blood for C19 antibodies, and if so, will the donor be notified if positive?

I know they'll notify you if you test positive for something like AIDS.

===> I answered my own question before hitting submit, but leaving the above question in case anyone else was curious - the answer is NO:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coronavirus-test-donate-blood/

Although, you know, it would be nice if the Red Cross would test for the antibodies - they have your blood and all your contact info... it would be info they could pass on for government numbers, and info their donors would appreciate receiving:

New blood tests for antibodies could show true scale of coronavirus pandemic

Are you talking about chloroquine?  An anti-malarial drug some doctors think can limit Corona?  

I’m sincerely curious.  I would have thought they would be getting crushed right now.  Very few cases and deaths so far.
Yeah, I remember seeing a map showing the correlation between parts of the world with high rates of Malaria which meant high rates of chloroquine usage. And those parts of the world are seeing a virtual absence of CV19.

Found it...

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/17/an-effective-treatment-for-coronavirus-covid-19-has-been-found-in-a-common-anti-malarial-drug/

About the Wuhan lockdown, I don’t know.

In the US, I’d expect big box pet stores to close, but for vets to stay open.
I'm sure already mentioned, but...

Don't forget having enough food on hand for your pet(s).

You can order online for delivery from Chewey.com, and undoubtedly other sites as well.

I received the below Petco email a little earlier today, it sounds encouraging that you'll be able to get pet food there as well (highlighted part):

These are uncertain times for all of us. But there are two things you can be absolutely certain of, today and always – our pets are there for us, and Petco is here for you and your pets.

Like all of you, we know without any question that pets are not only part of our families, they are also a constant and dependable source of joy and comfort when we need it most. Whether it’s by sharing a walk around the block and a breath of fresh air, or just an understanding look in their eyes, they are always, always there for us. So as we continue navigating this uncharted territory along with the rest of America and the world, I hope you can rest a little easier knowing we will continue to do all we can to to help you continue to take care of them.

I'm writing today to share a few changes we’ve made to help us do that. Everything you see below is in effect today and until further notice.

Store Hours: all stores remain open with reduced hours from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. to allow for increased cleaning and restocking.

Veterinary Services: we’re offering new services like pet hand-off, drop-off and text notifications at select locations to help minimize personal contact. Ask about these options when you book an appointment and check for your location’s updated hours of operation here.

Grooming Salon: all salons remain open with reduced hours from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The number of appointments has been reduced to allow our groomers to maintain a safe and healthy distance.

Self-Serve Dog Wash: temporarily closed until further notice.

Dog Training: no new group classes are being booked at this time. Please contact your local store to book a private lesson or confirm the status of your current class.

Puppy Playtime: postponed until further notice.

For those who prefer to shop online, we’re making it easier to get everything your pet needs:

•Free 1-2 day shipping threshold has been lowered from $49+ to $35+.

•First-time Repeat Delivery order discount has been increased from 30% to 35% so you never run out of what your pets need.

•10% off when you buy online and pick up your order in one of our stores. Your items will be ready in 1-2 hours

•Soon, you’ll be able to pick up your items from your local store without having to leave your car via Curbside Pickup.

If you’re unable to come into a store or wish to stay home during this time, simply call 833-893-0111 to place an order and we will ship it to you.

Our People

We're also doing all we can to support the 27,000 Petco partners who make it possible for us to serve and protect you and your pets. Rest assured, we're encouraging everyone to take all recommended precautions, including staying home if they are feeling ill or believe they may be at risk and maintaining appropriate social distance when and wherever possible. We’ve waived our attendance policy and fully support any partner who decides to stay home if they are uncomfortable working. We’re also providing additional paid leave to further support those directly affected by COVID-19, whether by a confirmed case, required or voluntary self-quarantine due to being high risk, living with or caring for someone at high-risk, or because they feel ill or face related dependent care challenges.

Going Forward

We will continue to keep you updated and provide new information as quickly as possible as we navigate the uncertainty together, and do everything we can to ensure the health, safety and well-being of the entire Petco family. And as we do, we will remain by your side, every step of the way, to help ensure the health and wellness of your pets. Always.

Thank you for being part of our family. Let’s all continue to stay safe and take care of each other.

Users who are viewing this thread