What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

Due to unfortunate life events I've been door dashing lately. I went out today, and it was pretty busy. Chipotle is only letting one customer inside at a time.  I had six deliveries today and five were Chipotle. They were all to businesses that are still open. Decided today that it's super not worth it so I'm done. One time I delivered to a topless guy. That's my best story. Not sad to shut it down. 
Yea - definitely doesn’t seem like a good gig. Understandable. 

Due to unfortunate life events I've been door dashing lately. I went out today, and it was pretty busy. Chipotle is only letting one customer inside at a time.  I had six deliveries today and five were Chipotle. They were all to businesses that are still open. Decided today that it's super not worth it so I'm done. One time I delivered to a topless guy. That's my best story. Not sad to shut it down. 
I agree, good choice I think.

I delivered pizzas in HS and thought I was making mad stacks.

Then my transmission went out.

Delivery jobs are brutal on cars.

My wife is going to need a straight jacket soon. She now has a case of a 35-year-old mother with asthma who probably won't make it to tomorrow. The healthcare workers all say they have never seen anything like this. Many of them don't want to come back to work (which obviously would be a HUGE problem).

My kid went out with a friend to a video game store to trade in some games. I told him he is part of the problem and he was lucky his baseball bat was stored in the garage. Do video game stores really fall in the category as "an essential business?" Really? No offense to Game Stop, but how many germs are getting on all their game cases?

People . . . stay home and only go out for food and supplies (and work if you absolutely have to). And go wash your hands again . . . YOU MISSED A SPOT!!!!!!! Don't like it? Then go wash them again!
:(  about the 35 year-old mother, and your wife for dealing with those situations.

As far as Game Stop, I've seen them called on on Reddit as being one of the worst employers right now with how they're handling C19.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
My brother (43) and niece (12) are recovering from most likely CV. His wife works in the epicenter of the virus near Seattle in the hospital where all the first patients arrived.

My neighbor (35) is recovering, about 12 days in.

Our good friend (40) down the street probably has it, too.

All of these people will not be tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instacart and Ubereats drivers too. It’s 5 days for Instacart to get here at the moment. 
I used Instacart for the first time today after finding out Walmart was unable to handle pickup. Walmart and local stores look like a bomb went off in them--it is sad.

Wow, what a great experience!! I set up my account and the delivery was out one-two days, but then magically the clouds parted and a five hour window slot came up when I put my info in--which I jumped on. I shopped with the girl at Sam's and approved the substitutions as she went. She had great taste! Three items were out--canned chicken, face tissue and something else I can't remember. She got it to our house in under two hours. We told her to put it in the garage so we could wipe all the items off. So easy!! I really wish I would have tipped her more. The only problem we ran into was our other food delivery arrived at the same time, so our garage was a beehive of activity. We were getting really nervous because some cars were driving by really slowly and looking sketchy before we could shut the door--probably just being paranoid I am sure, but needless to say the front of our house is lit up like Christmas right now. 

Just a side note, my daughter works at Sam's and I really wish she didn't They wouldn't let staff wear gloves tonight, but the CEO sent them a message saying they all get $150 bonuses for all their dedication. Not a fair trade-off IMO.

Slightly, but it's mostly due to the panic buying and hoarding at grocery stores, added onto the buying people are doing so they have the government recommended 2-3 weeks of food at home.
If that's the case, these jobs will dry up in 2 weeks unless they are just going to backfilling for all the people who will be catching this virus on the job.

What is actually closed in California? Is Gov Newsome seriously going to close restaurants? He can't do that. 

And in order to run a city or government and day to day it requires emergency personnel and those people need to be able to travel and have services provided so they can work on the sick people. 

I read posts of some folks saying there isn't enough of a shutdown, the cities have to remain somewhat open. It's illogical to think you can keep everyone indoors. 

• Smile
My brother (43) and niece (12) are recovering from most likely CV. His wife works in the epicenter of the virus near Seattle and she works in the hospital where all the first patients arrived.

My neighbor (35) is recovering, about 12 days in.

Our good friend (40) down the street probably has it, too.

All of these people will not be tested.
I can already foresee great arguments down the road amongst various groups arguing about the statistical extrapolation results that attempt to capture how many people actually had C19 but were never tested/verified.

There will likely be some claiming that we had a huge number of natural flu deaths this year that were not C19 related.

What is actually closed in California? Is Gov Newsome seriously going to close restaurants? He can't do that. 

And in order to run a city or government and day to day it requires emergency personnel and those people need to be able to travel and have services provided so they can work on the sick people. 

I read posts of some folks saying there isn't enough of a shutdown, the cities have to remain somewhat open. It's illogical to think you can keep everyone indoors. 
It will be interesting to see.

I can already foresee great arguments down the road amongst various groups arguing about the statistical extrapolation results that attempt to capture how many people actually had C19 but were never tested/verified.

There will likely be some claiming that we had a huge number of natural flu deaths this year that were not C19 related.
Yep, my neighbor went to the doc again today and she said he is not a candidate for testing. He did, however, get a flu test early on and it came back negative. This helped the doc surmise that it was CV19. I totally agree with the 5-10x more people have it than tested. I actually would guess it is much, much higher.

If that's the case, these jobs will dry up in 2 weeks unless they are just going to backfilling for all the people who will be catching this virus on the job.
They definitely aren't long term jobs, but I think many of them will last for a while - and as you mentioned, there will be some degree of ongoing attrition due to some workers getting sick.

There's going to be a great emphasis on getting food through the supply chain as quickly as possible to keep the stores as well stocked as possible - that will take extra workers.

• Thanks
Many thanks to whomever earlier today mentioned www.butcherbox.com

I signed up for a monthly delivery from them.  

Hopefully that will be an ongoing food supplement - they're pricey'ish, but I think well worth it to not have to venture outside for that shopping.

That in turn prompted me to google local farms that deliver, and I also ended up signing up for one that delivers vegetables, milk, and eggs.

Again pricey, but hopefully it's a stable source.

If anyone else is thinking of a subscription like either of the above, sooner is better than later right now to get signed up.

It's not a complete lockdown. Essential businesses and personnel are fine. Restaurants can remain open but takeout only. Many have chosen to close probably because people are in more. We aren't stuck indoors. We need to be cognizant of keeping 6 ft from each other when out. There's a list somewhere of what's essential which is still pretty loose especially since we are one of the top 3 states in the nation to shelter in place today. I live in the Bay Area and this was day 2 for us up here. I went to a medical appt, pharmacy and store. I'm now good to be in for a week or more. You can exercise out, lots walking out, just need 6 ft distance from each other. SF is day 3 and it's going quite well. Police have only needed to educate those too close to each other. Exception is if you're a family who lives together. All businesses have complied. If businesses don't they could face licensing issues. If people are blatantly ignoring the 6 ft rule then it could be a misdemeanor. I'm happy about this. Let's shut it down and get this over with sooner. Love our governor. He finally saw it makes the most sense for the state to have uniform policies. 

PS: my bro helps take care of my dad on the weekends. He's in LA, dad in Irvine. Ok to go back and forth because caregiving is essential. 

If you had to bet your mortgage on whether the actual number of covid19 cases in the US was over or under 250k, what are you taking?

• Thanks

I read posts of some folks saying there isn't enough of a shutdown, the cities have to remain somewhat open. It's illogical to think you can keep everyone indoors. 
Bay Area guy here (East Bay). Been indoors since Monday evening with a family of four. Had a pretty full pantry, and added some things with instacart and costco. Now have 1 month of food for all of us. 

I am very serious about staying indoors and I even chastised my wife for taking a pitstop today after picking up some eggs at my brothers house. I have a clock that started Monday night with respect to exposure. When she goes out and interacts, my clock starts over in effect. 

There's a developing social stigma with being out aside for some basics, like going grocery shopping, getting gas or walking a pet. If you are out and about and enjoying yourself through, for example, socializing, you may be made to feel bad about it (if you care). 

It may be illogical to think anyone can keep anybody indoors. Frankly, IDGAF. I'm keeping my family indoors to keep them from the idiots that think they can be outdoors, government guidance be damned. 

Still a lot of dummies out there. %*$# gonna get real in about 4-5 days.

Bay Area guy here (East Bay). Been indoors since Monday evening with a family of four. Had a pretty full pantry, and added some things with instacart and costco. Now have 1 month of food for all of us. 

I am very serious about staying indoors and I even chastised my wife for taking a pitstop today after picking up some eggs at my brothers house. I have a clock that started Monday night with respect to exposure. When she goes out and interacts, my clock starts over in effect. 

There's a developing social stigma with being out aside for some basics, like going grocery shopping, getting gas or walking a pet. If you are out and about and enjoying yourself through, for example, socializing, you may be made to feel bad about it (if you care). 

It may be illogical to think anyone can keep anybody indoors. Frankly, IDGAF. I'm keeping my family indoors to keep them from the idiots that think they can be outdoors, government guidance be damned. 

I can see Newsom clamping down harder soon. He's serious.

If you had to bet your mortgage on whether the actual number of covid19 cases in the US was over or under 250k, what are you taking?
Over. We've under-reported, under-addressed, under-tested. Combination of untested getting access to tests, plus rampant exposure, plus incubation, makes me think there will be a spike. 

But let's say there's no spike, here are some numbers off the top of my head.

Currently at 14k, whereas we were at 8.5k yesterday evening. We're adding about ~70%/day. Maybe it goes something like this:

Today 14k
Tomorrow 24k
Saturday 40k
Sunday 70k
Monday 130k
Tuesday 220k
***This is the Italy Tipping Point***
Wednesday 330k
Thursday 500k
Friday ???

zoonation said:
If it were me, I'd bet everything.

But that's me. I'm an aggressive gambler. Mr. Vegas.

But I seriously would bet everything on the over... Ohio Department of Health Dr. Amy Acton calculated 100k in Ohio, and that was a few days ago.

I think there are TONS of people who had/have it and it's been very mild for them.

• Thanks
Sandeman said:

I definitely think you're doing it right, the doctors are all begging people to stay inside.

My life's goal for the foreseeable future is to keep my wife from getting C19... she's a few years older than I am and over 60.

I previously stocked up as best as I could with the intent of not having to venture out again for as long as possible.

Unfortunately I"m going to have to restart my clock tomorrow to make a supply run for my parents - they're both in their 80's.

I haven't been out of my house since Saturday.

So... headed to the grocery store tomorrow at 7:00 AM.    D'oh.

• Love
-fish- said:
Right now?  There are more than that in California.
Exactly this.  I said it from the beginning of the thread--and I'll say it now.  We'll never accurately know the number of people that had/have this virus and we'll never know how many people have died from it. Every country is vastly under reporting the numbers--and the most convenient excuse is a lack of test kits.  You have to look at the actions of the government to gauge the scope of the problem. One of the biggest states in our country just got shut the eff down.  You think that if the reported numbers were accurate that this would happen?  China had to institute nearly 2 months of quarantine that was enforced by military and police to get a handle on this thing.  We can and should do the same thing before we wait too long and completely screw our health care system. 

Sandeman said:

Great post!! We need about 10x million like you. Every trip outdoors at this point needs to be thought out---and what angers me, is we aren't talking about forever or 3 months. Just give it 21 days. Holy cow--just watch what you do for 3 weeks to make sure we get a hang on this thing. Go jogging but leave a little distance. Talk to your neighbor across your yard--my neighbor and I were out grilling and sharing a beer last night. He was on his porch--I was on mine. OMG we had to raise our voices a little to communicate.!!  This is so easy to control, but people refuse.

NotSmart said:
I'm super torn on this one, as I donate blood like clockwork as soon as I'm eligible again.

Because of C19, the Red Cross has a quickly growing blood shortage problem.

Has anyone donated in the last few days?... thoughts on how safe it would be to donate in the next few days?
I donated today. Red Cross has sent guidance to drive centers including limiting the number of donors allowed at one time. This arrangement meant that appointments were a must. 

They were good about wiping everything down between uses, including touch screens. 3 donors and the spacing was adequate. Temperature check entering the building and again when finishing prescreen. Close contact only with the person collecting the donation. Only PPE used was gloves, no masks. I'd donate again under those conditions.

SoCal here. I welcome the shutdown. Gotta stop the justaflubro’s. It’s already been pretty quiet here, this will help. I went out for the first time in a week, today. Prescriptions and gas. I won’t be going out again, for a while. Today is my wife’s bday. Neighbor’s invited us over for a drink. We declined. 

Stay home people. 

zoonation said:
Newsom, the Gov of California, thinks 25 million people just in California will get it within 8 weeks.

Mr Anonymous said:
Yeah, I remember seeing a map showing the correlation between parts of the world with high rates of Malaria which meant high rates of chloroquine usage. And those parts of the world are seeing a virtual absence of CV19.

Found it...

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/17/an-effective-treatment-for-coronavirus-covid-19-has-been-found-in-a-common-anti-malarial-drug/
Chloroquine for prevention/treatment of malaria isn’t as common anymore. Malaria in Africa grew resistant to it many years ago.  Maybe it’s a different malaria drug that’s causing the absence of cv19 in Africa?

The Public Health Impact of Chloroquine Resistance in Africa

I donated today. Red Cross has sent guidance to drive centers including limiting the number of donors allowed at one time. This arrangement meant that appointments were a must. 

They were good about wiping everything down between uses, including touch screens. 3 donors and the spacing was adequate. Temperature check entering the building and again when finishing prescreen. Close contact only with the person collecting the donation. Only PPE used was gloves, no masks. I'd donate again under those conditions.
Thanks, I really appreciate your experience info - and thanks for donating.  🆎

mcintyre1 said:
Someone I went to college with is a paramedic in New Orleans and has been posting short recaps of their days on the front lines:

If anyone didn't read the above earlier, it's well worth the read.

Use the post back arrow for a very sobering front line account of the past few days from a New Orleans paramedic.  

An important note about how the C19 symptoms can start, from a NY neurosurgeon:

"If I had realized that it starts as a simple cold, I wouldn't have gone into the office. I would have started quarantining myself that Monday," he said.

"If (people) have any symptoms that seem like a cold or a flu, they should assume they have COVID-19 until proven otherwise ... You don't want to have to regret having infected and gotten sick a loved one or a friend or a colleague."

He's hoping to be asymptomatic by the end of the week, and after an additional seven days without symptoms, he said he'll be going back to work.

"I actually feel fortunate because now I can really be involved in the health care system without worrying that I can contract it," Kornel said. 

"I can be on the front line, and that's great because I was going to be out there anyway."

A New York neurosurgeon has coronavirus. This is what he wants people to know.

Governor of Pennsylvania pretty much shutting down the State of PA and then enforcing it with the police and local authorities at 12:01 on Sat Night...

I predict violence is going to come in a massive backlash at some point. I'm not hoping for it but we got a lot of folks with guns and ammo that don't trust the government.

Ouch!
Would that be Darwinism in action?

Courtjester said:
We told her to put it in the garage so we could wipe all the items off. 
Is this something we need to do?  Wipe off every bag and box and food item delivered to our houses?  What about amazon boxes?  I haven’t seen this recommended or suggested by the government or CDC anywhere, just wondering if this kind of thing is a little paranoia setting in or a good practice?  Just can’t see us doing this, and am working under the assumption this is low risk.  

Is this something we need to do?  Wipe off every bag and box and food item delivered to our houses?  What about amazon boxes?  I haven’t seen this recommended or suggested by the government or CDC anywhere, just wondering if this kind of thing is a little paranoia setting in or a good practice?  Just can’t see us doing this, and am working under the assumption this is low risk.  
My mother told me yesterday she sent me something through amazon and I had the same thoughts.   Do I want this box?     

Both IMO... low risk... but also good practice.

I also set aside mail or boxes I receive for a few days unless they need to be opened sooner - that gives any virus present more time to die.

And also wash hands right away after handling such items.

A little bit of bad news about Iran

Every doctor the BBC spoke to said that based on their experience, the official statistics must be much lower than the reality.

One doctor, an A&E medic from Golestan Province, says her hospital receives an average of 300 patients a day. She estimates that 60%-70% of those are infected with coronavirus, but due to lack of resources, only those who are critically ill are admitted.

And only those who are admitted to hospital are counted in the official statistics.

The doctor describes having lost five patients a day on average over the past two weeks. She says that often by the time someone has arrived with a coronavirus testing kit, her patient has already died.

• Sad
Sad but not surprising news out of Iran. They had the mass graves seen from space last week. To me the eye opening piece of that article was:

On top of this, 16 countries claim they have cases of the virus that originated in Iran. They are Iraq, Afghanistan, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Lebanon, the United Arab Emirates, Canada, Pakistan, Georgia, Estonia, New Zealand, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Qatar and Armenia.

Both IMO... low risk... but also good practice.

I also set aside mail or boxes I receive for a few days unless they need to be opened sooner - that gives any virus present more time to die.

And also wash hands right away after handling such items.
Damn.  I mean, I wish my hands and all, but this all feels extreme to me.  But what do I know.

Koya said:
Wow.  For one, other than some stocking positions at Amazon or Costco, who the heck is hiring in any industry? And these folks are in an industry where no other jobs will be available for months, and many lost forever (i.e. restaurants that go under).

Sorry GB, but you seem terrible removed from the realities of a huge part of not just our economy, but our society.  Hospitality workers account for 15 Million jobs.  That's 10% of the TOTAL workforce.

The hospitality industry also has a large portion of their workforce that lives week to week, with little savings and high debt.  Including families with children. Many work multiple jobs just to pay those bills, week to week. Very few have health insurance. And what they do bring in salary wise is spent on housing and getting to/from work far more than it should be. There's very little, if anything, left. Even for many working hard as well.

With that as backdrop, where can they get jobs now? Their skills and experience, even those who are in executive positions, revolves around one industry. Are they going to become an architect (not that new buildings are going to suddenly prop up, likely the opposite)? A management consultant? A registered nurse in the next couple months?

Our entire system is facing catastrophic and cataclysmic realities.  To assume that most of these employees can "find another job" seems to be ignoring one very big reality, with any number of repercussions.
GB - I respect you a lot.  I’m sad we disagree on this topic, but we do  

I do not believe it is the govt responsibility to find me a job that a like. I don’t believe it is their responsibility to let me live in the place I want to live and spend the way I want to spend.

I believe in personal responsibility. I believe there will be times the govt needs to step in to help. I believe that is healthy.

However, I think what you are describing is unhealthy. What I’m hearing you say is that if I can’t find the job I like, in the place I want to live, the the govt should step in and help.

However, if there are zero jobs, that’s a huge difference between not having a job you like. For example, if Costco or Amazon is hiring nearby and you were a waitress that was laid off and collecting unemployment, well ... get to the store and start stocking shelves. 

All that said, I think this highlights why in our country we need a living wage and not a minimum wage. 

Here’s what I don’t quite understand... 

All these anecdotal stories of people who are testing positive for the coronavirus, and then you hear that they feel fine and they do not have any symptoms. How is this possible? If you are fine and have no symptoms, why are you getting tested? Is it because they recently travelled, or they came into contact with an infected person?

• Love

Users who are viewing this thread