What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

mr roboto said:
Owning a small business it’s like having a second family budget that you have to worry about. Imagine losing your job in your actual family and then having to close in your “second family.”  We could go under really quickly.
There will be tons of people who need help. We need to make sure they are helped. I believe there will be tons of jobs that need to be filled during this crisis. I believe some people will need to do jobs that maybe they don’t want to do.

I don’t think the answer is to simply send out checks and out our heads in the sand.

We will need a workforce. 

Sad but not surprising news out of Iran. They had the mass graves seen from space last week. To me the eye opening piece of that article was:

On top of this, 16 countries claim they have cases of the virus that originated in Iran. They are Iraq, Afghanistan, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Lebanon, the United Arab Emirates, Canada, Pakistan, Georgia, Estonia, New Zealand, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Qatar and Armenia.
I think Denmark has a couple too

Damn.  I mean, I wish my hands and all, but this all feels extreme to me.  But what do I know.
kinda extreme but you never know whos handling the mail etc. my bills and spam mail can marinate in the garage a few days :shrug:

same for packages unless its food ill move it into the garage with some garden gloves or somthin then wash up and open it when i need it. usually many days later

Here’s what I don’t quite understand... 

All these anecdotal stories of people who are testing positive for the coronavirus, and then you hear that they feel fine and they do not have any symptoms. How is this possible? If you are fine and have no symptoms, why are you getting tested? Is it because they recently travelled, or they came into contact with an infected person?
that's what i was wondering. they must have recently traveled to qualify for a test ? or the area theyre in is actually giving out tests? no clue

BassNBrew said:
If that's the case, these jobs will dry up in 2 weeks unless they are just going to backfilling for all the people who will be catching this virus on the job.
You make good points. A side note to your point is that we will need a workforce over the next 3 months. It can’t just be everyone sitting at home. 

A silver lining to social distancing...

I started re-playing The Legend if Zelda BOTW on the the switch back in January. I never beat the game when it first came out. Being cooped up in the house recently has allowed me a lot of free time playing the game. And I finally beat Calamity Ganon this time around. It was glorious. 

Re-downloaded Grand Theft Auto V on the ps4 the other day. Looking forward to visiting this game again. 

Out of the house (other than dog walks) for the first time since Sunday. Folks in the Tampa area ransacking stores. Waiting in a line 30 deep at Publix 1/2 hour before it opens. People losing their #### in a big way. This scares me way more than the virus tbh.

ETA: Publix is giving out 1 pack of TP to each person in line while they still have it. Very nice of them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there been any updates on death rates - I’m still seeing the median age for Italy was 80.  On one hand we don’t want people thinking it’s fine to resume normal activity but it would be nice to hear that we have a better handle on the rate and it’s lower than we thought.

There was a study saying this. I don't believe it's on the level of near-immunity, though. I don't know how big of a difference in susceptibility there really is between blood types. I have not seen where the study was corroborated or repeated by other researchers.
It hasn't been corroborated by others, but the study found Type A had a 20% increased risk relative to other blood types. O had 1/3 lower risk.

Those diagrams are nice, thanks for the link.

While some may find comfort in ~80% infections being mild, I'm worried about the other 20% - that's a lot of patients for a healthcare system already running near capacity. Moreover, the percentage of people in the US with 1 or more of the listed health conditions likely exceeds that of Italy and China. In the US, ~45% of adults have hypertension, 10% have diabetes + 20% prediabetes, and ~20% are age 60 and older. Also not factored into the equation: 2/3 of us are overweight or obese.

Out of the house (other than dog walks) for the first time since Sunday. Folks in the Tampa area ransacking stores. Waiting in a line 30 deep at Publix 1/2 hour before it opens. People losing their #### in a big way. This scares me way more than the virus tbh.

ETA: Publix is giving out 1 pack of TP to each person in line while they still have it. Very nice of them. 
Went to Publix in Tampa at 2 PM yesterday, shelves were stocked and crowd wasn’t big.

Sign my mortgage refinance paperwork last night. The closer came over to our house she seemed like she was healthy.

kind of feel like I just stole some money from the bank but it’ll be nice not having a mortgage payment next month and having cash out refinance check showing up next week.

Sign my mortgage refinance paperwork last night. The closer came over to our house she seemed like she was healthy.

kind of feel like I just stole some money from the bank but it’ll be nice not having a mortgage payment next month and having cash out refinance check showing up next week.
I’m in the middle of this. I’m starting to fear it won’t happen. If only I’d started a week or two earlier. . 

My wife went to cub foods this morning at 4:30 AM to stock up on some fresh groceries.  She said the bread aisle was empty as well as the toilet paper. She found some loaves of bread in the deli section where they put them out so people can consider buying bread when they’re buying their meat. She grabbed three loaves and there was an old man behind her in the checkout line complaining that they didn’t have any bread left in the store.

she offered one of the three loaves she was going to purchase to him and he said “thanks but I don’t like that kind.“

there is a bank/municipal parking lot across the street from us ... i been self isolating since last Friday (HAPPY HERMIT ANN'Y TO ME!!1!!!1!), and i been clocking the lot's occupancy every morning 'round this time ...

has been pretty full (roughly 35 vehicles) ... dwindling incrementally each day, but still rather full, up to yesterday morn. 

1 car in there this morning.  

ONE.  

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Here's the time course for people who get hospitalized. Look at Figure 1, Page 7. More mild illness will run its course more quickly, but still expect to be symptomatic 2-3 weeks.
Thanks! :thumbup:  

So it looks like a cough is always accompanied by a fever? 

I was getting a little concerned last night because we were both coughing. Mine was allergy related, went away with a Claritin. My wife seems to have a bit of a cold but is a little better today. She also has been developing allergies the last few years but is in denial...lol :justacold: 

Here’s what I don’t quite understand... 

All these anecdotal stories of people who are testing positive for the coronavirus, and then you hear that they feel fine and they do not have any symptoms. How is this possible? If you are fine and have no symptoms, why are you getting tested? Is it because they recently travelled, or they came into contact with an infected person?
How asymptomatic celebrities, athletes, and billionaires are getting tested for the coronavirus when you can't

This whole thing has a lot of tentacles that  are going to rear their ugly head. Guns and ammo stores here are getting cleaned out. A grocery store got some TP and some other hard to get items back in stock and was held up at gunpoint. A friend of ours had put a 4 pack of TP in a locked pick up truck to give to someone else and someone smashed a window and stole it. A lot of people need decaf and some deep breaths. 

Is this something we need to do?  Wipe off every bag and box and food item delivered to our houses?  What about amazon boxes?  I haven’t seen this recommended or suggested by the government or CDC anywhere, just wondering if this kind of thing is a little paranoia setting in or a good practice?  Just can’t see us doing this, and am working under the assumption this is low risk.  
I do this with every item that comes into the house.  From the grocery store especially.

So my wife didn’t bother mentioning that we are down to our last 2 rolls of toilet paper.  :wall:
We had enough for ~3 weeks, but my notified me that her 70+ year-old parents are about to run out.

These same in-laws continue to shop almost daily at Target and Walmart, principally to buy cat food for a feral colony. I warned them weeks ago to stock up, and minimize all the unnecessary shopping. They ignored me on both counts, so despite frequenting stores that had ample tp at some point (now none), they are running out. And my wife has offered a 6-pack of ours. 🤬

Thankfully, Amazon still has limited supplies that will be available for shipping in early April. Gonna be square rationing for the next couple weeks. Hopefully they don't stop shipping.

NotSmart said:
I'm super torn on this one, as I donate blood like clockwork as soon as I'm eligible again.

Because of C19, the Red Cross has a quickly growing blood shortage problem.

Has anyone donated in the last few days?... thoughts on how safe it would be to donate in the next few days?
I donated today. Red Cross has sent guidance to drive centers including limiting the number of donors allowed at one time. This arrangement meant that appointments were a must. 

They were good about wiping everything down between uses, including touch screens. 3 donors and the spacing was adequate. Temperature check entering the building and again when finishing prescreen. Close contact only with the person collecting the donation. Only PPE used was gloves, no masks. I'd donate again under those conditions.
Am hoping to donate today. Red Cross appointment website wasn't working, so called. I am # 126 in line. I guess thats a good thing?

This whole thing has a lot of tentacles that  are going to rear their ugly head. Guns and ammo stores here are getting cleaned out. A grocery store got some TP and some other hard to get items back in stock and was held up at gunpoint. A friend of ours had put a 4 pack of TP in a locked pick up truck to give to someone else and someone smashed a window and stole it. A lot of people need decaf and some deep breaths. 
The police pulled over a stolen work truck yesterday here in NC filled with 18,000 pounds of rump ribbon (toilet paper).

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
User name checks out

My wife went to cub foods this morning at 4:30 AM to stock up on some fresh groceries.  She said the bread aisle was empty as well as the toilet paper. She found some loaves of bread in the deli section where they put them out so people can consider buying bread when they’re buying their meat. She grabbed three loaves and there was an old man behind her in the checkout line complaining that they didn’t have any bread left in the store.

she offered one of the three loaves she was going to purchase to him and he said “thanks but I don’t like that kind.“
Being a #####, I'd have certainly said "what, are you six?". 

Our closest Publix in Lecanto had no produce, bread or paper at same time yesterday. Is it local hoarding or restocking delivery problems?
Good question. It was a limit of 1 pack of TP so going back early afternoon today...will see if it’s the same as yesterday.

These same in-laws continue to shop almost daily at Target and Walmart, principally to buy cat food for a feral colony.
This is driving me insane. I ask every one of the friends I talk to. Not once has somebody told me their parents have gone on lockdown. All in same boat, upset with them. 

My wife was in tears yesterday. Both her parents are very high risk. My wife and sister in law have both said anything they need they will get for them. They still ran out to store yesterday. Excuse was we only needed a couple things so we didnt think it was a big deal and we didnt want to bother you. 

Dude. So dumb. 

Damn.  I mean, I wish my hands and all, but this all feels extreme to me.  But what do I know.
Not bagging on you at all but 3 weeks ago, you weren't exactly on board with all the stuff being said in this thread. Most all of it has proven out. I don't think it's extreme given the nature of the virus and how it spreads. Is it different than our normal? Absolutely! But our new normal for the foreseeable future is something none of us (other than ham & icon) would have imagined 2 months ago.

Our closest Publix in Lecanto had no produce, bread or paper at same time yesterday. Is it local hoarding or restocking delivery problems?
Stopped by our local Harris Teeter in Fort Mill, SC last night for banana's & sour cream. Store was picked cleaned. I grabbed the last little container of sour cream they had, no banana's  :(

To try to change the mood in our house, my wife hung up a bunch of pictures of our kids when they were younger and photos from some of our vacations. It certainly brought back memories of happier times.

No jam sandwiches for him then.

A gun store owner was interviewed on the news and Monday was their biggest day ever.  The previous biggest day was 2019 Black Friday.  He said the counter was lined up 4 deep all day.

This is driving me insane. I ask every one of the friends I talk to. Not once has somebody told me their parents have gone on lockdown. All in same boat, upset with them. 

My wife was in tears yesterday. Both her parents are very high risk. My wife and sister in law have both said anything they need they will get for them. They still ran out to store yesterday. Excuse was we only needed a couple things so we didnt think it was a big deal and we didnt want to bother you. 

Dude. So dumb. 
My in-laws are the same. Literally going to the store every day to buy what they need just for that day. Same with my wife's grandparents. She's offered multiple times to go for them but they refuse. Obviously all super high risk. WTF. 

Users who are viewing this thread