What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

Point is, stock up so you don't have to go out, right? You're best served if you treat this like a lockdown.
That’s all I was trying to convey here.  Sorry to give people a possible heads up so they aren’t caught totally off guard.  If you haven’t already gotten what you need from work to be able to work from home, get it.  If you need something from a “non essential” place, maybe tomorrow is the day to do it.  My kid is lactose intolerant, he drinks almond milk.  We’ve got enough till the middle of next week right now - I’ll likely guy an extra half gallon now.  That kinda stuff, I wasn’t trying to sound some Apocalypse alarm or anything.  

Totally agree. A small percentage of the people I know have self quarantined the last week or two but it accomplishes nothing while so many others are business as usual or raging on Spring Break or at a bar on Patty’s Day. No way you get everyone to give up the freedom we are all used to, especially leading into Summer when everyone will want to be out and about. 
I was talking with my Merrill guy today about just this.  I'm not sure how long this lasts in lockdown mode.  At some point, if people keep ignoring the order we are going to have limited effectiveness.  My guess is the goal is truly to try and bend the curve as they say, but if a vaccine is truly 18 months out, I don't see any way this thing doesn't run wild so that most people in the country have been exposed to it by then.  People just simply aren't going to be complying.  We aren't even a week in and people can't comply. 

At some point, if we can get this to where it's not overwhelming the healthcare system, do we have to try and restart the economy and accept a lot of people are going to get it either way?  Maybe the hope is we find treatment drugs by then, such as if the malaria drug works.  At some point though if the majority of people are going to get this, the battle is trying not to overload the healthcare system, not truly to try and stop a significant percentage of people from ever having it.  

So we all have to stay locked up till July? I can but zero chance this country does that. 
Maybe. I’ve seen talk about some kind of rotation. Open the town for a month; close it for two; etc. Our government must understand you can’t keep people locked in forever. So if there a way to cycle this, maybe they do that. Who knows. 

Maybe. I’ve seen talk about some kind of rotation. Open the town for a month; close it for two; etc. Our government must understand you can’t keep people locked in forever. So if there a way to cycle this, maybe they do that. Who knows. 
Better off cycling exposure.

You've clearly got a political agenda.  Take it over there.
No. I live here, I’ve got an informed opinion about Jay. Half of what I just heard on the radio is laughable. Threaten kids with their inheritance?  C mon man. 

I like the idea about looking at traffic data. But WSDOT tolling?  lol. 

No, your info was terrible and wrong. You said:

That's BS fearmongering. We don't need food for two weeks. Grocery stores are open. Your comment was worse than unhelpful. It was dangerously incorrect.
Settle down.  I went on to say: 

"You were right.  That's not what happened.  VERY sorry.

Here's the gist.  The neighbor is a fireman and came over and said they should prepare for that.  As in worst case scenario.  And that his FD has done that.

VERY sorry about that.  Called my sister and asked why she texted such specifics and she was like, well that's he said. 🙄"

This is such a unique situation, granted I have no way to know.  I just don't think economically you can fire and stall, fire and stall over and over that way.  

3 or 4 people said similar things yesterday that didn’t happen today. I’m not believing any of it until it happens. 
Understand the mindset brother, I really do.  Wish I hadn’t heard it.  But at this point with a few other states already doing something similar, might be best to expect one and prepare (if you haven’t) at this point.  A week or two ago I would have laughed at the idea, not so much anymore.  

Washington Examiner so, not the most reliable, but this is the first actual media claim I've seen re: a national quarantine:
Breaking: Trump eyes two-week quarantine, only drug and grocery stores open

President Trump, moving with haste to slow the spread of the coronavirus, is preparing a plan to mobilize the National Guard to help enforce a two-week quarantine of the public if his tough-love efforts so far fail.

The unprecedented action would require everyone to “stay at home,” according to a source knowledgeable of the evolving plan.

The effort, which is still being mulled and wouldn’t be announced until early next week if needed, would urge that all businesses, except grocery stores and pharmacies, be closed.

It comes on the heels of other insider reports that the president is considering grounding all U.S. passenger flights to force a halt in people interacting and moving around the country.

Senior officials have said that dozens of radical ideas are being considered and that the president and his virus task force are moving quickly to protect the nation.

Trump has praised the public for following the rules he has put in place, but the new plans are an acknowledgment that many people are not taking the warnings seriously.

In some areas, the National Guard has already been called out to enforce “stay in place” orders, a model of what Trump is considering.

In Washington, D.C., the Guard has been activated. The city on Friday extended school closings until the end of April.

Wisconsin has also activated the Guard, and it is in use in Florida, New Jersey, and Arizona.

In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a statewide order for all residents to stay at home until further notice. He has also put the National Guard on notice.

Illinois did the same, and there are also parts of New York on shutdown.

The federal government has been reluctant to order a “stay in place” order. But officials have said that the administration has been briefing Congress, states, and industry leaders about a potential shutdown that could start next week and after the president taps the Stafford Act that some say allows a national quarantine.

The goal, said officials, is to stop the spread of the virus and potential deaths.

The unknown: The administration hopes that the number of cases of the coronavirus does not surge too much.

A knowledgeable source said that Department of Homeland Security officials are telling states that it is ready to mobilize the National Guard and dispatch them with U.S. military and first responders.

The goal is to have them dispatched before any call for a national quarantine. The reason: Stop looters and other violence.

They will announce this as soon as they have troops in place to help prevent looters and rioters and will announce before the end of the weekend.

So I wake up each morning to Cuomo's press conference. I find him very impressive, and he seems to have a handle on things. Pretty clear he has an issue with DeBlasio. I'm new to Cuomo though. Am I misreading?
You’ve nailed it. Cuomo has been outstanding. Deblasio by most new Yorkers’ accounts is an “idiot” (my friend’s word, not mine, don’t ban me please, though I may agree with it). Deblasio has been Desperately fighting things like school closings and other closings. I don’t know why Cuomo didn’t do this sooner.  I assume because it wasn’t necessary to close the whole state state, and Deblasio wasn’t doing enough in the city, so his hand was forced. 

If you hear "shelter in place is coming" stop posting "get 2 weeks of food now or else!" That's terrible. That leads to panic, hoarding, shortages, and harm. Stop spreading those rumors. 
:lmao:   That is such an embellishment it is comical.  You actually bold your most ridiculous (and 100% false) assertions.  Thanks!

In this case, the information was bad. Spreading bad information is dangerous. 
Dude, I immediately amended the post to change “lockdown” to “shelter in place” or whatever is being done in either CA or PA. I also made zero mention of getting “2 weeks worth of stuff” as you stated.  It’s something I heard, and specifically stated it was a rumor at this point.  Just didn’t want my fellow Virginia’s to be totally caught off guard.

No. I live here, I’ve got an informed opinion about Jay. Half of what I just heard on the radio is laughable. Threaten kids with their inheritance?  C mon man. 

I like the idea about looking at traffic data. But WSDOT tolling?  lol. 
tolling data is a pretty accurate way to determine usage for 99 and 520, which give you a pretty good picture of traffic in and out of Seattle.   can't really see why you'd have a problem with it.  if it was a republican governor looking at the same data I doubt you'd have a criticism.   

argue that the seattle city council is a bunch of idiots and communists, I won't argue.   but trying to argue Inslee is a moron for presenting accurate and meaningful data?  knee jerk political garbage.   

If you hear "shelter in place is coming" stop posting "get 2 weeks of food now or else!" That's terrible. That leads to panic, hoarding, shortages, and harm. Stop spreading those rumors. You're making it sound like the army will be patrolling the streets stopping everyone from leaving their houses. You're making it sound like you need to have two weeks of food on you right at this moment. You don't. Grocery stores are open. Pharmacies are open. Hardware stores are open. Liquor stores are open. Pet food stores are open. Laudromats are open. 

GameStop (finally) is closed. And all non-essential stuff you can buy on Amazon is closed. That's it. 
You're information is wrong.  All the recommendations I have read are "if you normally buy 1, buy an extra".

You are the problem.  You are insinuating a million scenarios from someone sharing something they heard.  You are the problem here as you are the one panicking from a single person sharing an experience.  You are the one wanting to silence information.  Please stop

5604 new postive tests for CV19 accompanied by 49 deaths in the past 24 hours. The math can speak for itself. The concern that doesn't go away, no matter the death rate, is how easily this spreads. Slow the spread, find drugs that work, and deal with what's hopefully a much more manageable death rate. That's the path out of this over the long haul.

In this case, the information was bad. Spreading bad information is dangerous. 
He shared information he heard.  He thought it was relevant.  He came back and apologized.

Look - stop thinking that when someone reads something on the internet from a random person its going to cause WWIII.  Its not.

The only way to interpret information is to process it.  We need to process information coming from all sources.  This is what will allow us to respond.

Local pizza place told me I’d have to meet the guy at the door and sign the receipt. 

“there is literally no chance of me doing that” 

...but we need the signature. 

“I’ll call someplace else then”

ok my boss said it’s fine. :loco:  
I haven't tried it yet, but one of our local places is leaving it wherever you tell them, then they call or text you while moving 10 feet away, then they wait and watch to make sure you got it before they leave.  Awfully nice.

5604 new postive tests for CV19 accompanied by 49 deaths in the past 24 hours. The math can speak for itself. The concern that doesn't go away, no matter the death rate, is how easily this spreads. Slow the spread, find drugs that work, and deal with what's hopefully a much more manageable death rate. That's the path out of this over the long haul.
No, the easiest and quickest path is this:

The government tells us we’ll be in our chosen place within 72 hours. We go to war for supplies. We shelter for a month. The government patrols and beats anyone who disobeys. Those that can’t deal with a month of solitary for the greater good are dealt with. Some may get left behind. We close our borders until everyone else deals with it.

We get back to life the quickest like this.

I've posted very little in the thread, but when I do its mostly to try to lighten the mood.  If I had something more useful, I would post it.  

I have been following the thread for about 10 days, and I have read every post.  There seems to be a much more dramatic shift in here towards trying to win arguments and less trying to actually post useful stuff.

Arguing over bottled water, death rates vs positive tests, and now its fear mongering and panic buying against posting rumor/heresy.

Hasn't Joe said it enough by now?  Just try to be helpful and post links if you have them.  Its pretty simple.  If its rumor, state so.  Everything doesn't have to be a back and forth.  If you don't find the information useful, then move on.  I highly doubt that this small community on a message board, spread out over the entire world, is going to affect the outcome of this pandemic, but it CAN help some of us get through.  

Let's do that together.  please.  PLEASE!!

He shared information he heard.  He thought it was relevant.  He came back and apologized.

Look - stop thinking that when someone reads something on the internet from a random person its going to cause WWIII.  Its not.

The only way to interpret information is to process it.  We need to process information coming from all sources.  This is what will allow us to respond.
repeating unprocessed information is bad.   you want to give your money to a nigerian prince? go ahead.  you provide bad information about a pandemic that could kill my parents?   not the same thing.  garbage information should not be repeated when it comes to people's lives.

tolling data is a pretty accurate way to determine usage for 99 and 520, which give you a pretty good picture of traffic in and out of Seattle.   can't really see why you'd have a problem with it.  if it was a republican governor looking at the same data I doubt you'd have a criticism.   

argue that the seattle city council is a bunch of idiots and communists, I won't argue.   but trying to argue Inslee is a moron for presenting accurate and meaningful data?  knee jerk political garbage.   
I've never voted for a Republican in my life. Come to think of it I voted for Jay, although I regret it. Show you how much you know. 

Most the people skip the tolls. They wont go over 520 when 90 takes 5 minutes longer when there isnt any traffic. Tolls only get accurate data for traffic volume during rush hours.  

repeating unprocessed information is bad.   you want to give your money to a nigerian prince? go ahead.  you provide bad information about a pandemic that could kill my parents?   not the same thing.  garbage information should not be repeated when it comes to people's lives.
With respect to @Caesar, we can agree to disagree

I've posted very little in the thread, but when I do its mostly to try to lighten the mood.  If I had something more useful, I would post it.  

I have been following the thread for about 10 days, and I have read every post.  There seems to be a much more dramatic shift in here towards trying to win arguments and less trying to actually post useful stuff.

Arguing over bottled water, death rates vs positive tests, and now its fear mongering and panic buying against posting rumor/heresy.

Hasn't Joe said it enough by now?  Just try to be helpful and post links if you have them.  Its pretty simple.  If its rumor, state so.  Everything doesn't have to be a back and forth.  If you don't find the information useful, then move on.  I highly doubt that this small community on a message board, spread out over the entire world, is going to affect the outcome of this pandemic, but it CAN help some of us get through.  

Let's do that together.  please.  PLEASE!!
Good to see you survived the Ides of March!

And good post...

I've never voted for a Republican in my life. Come to think of it I voted for Jay, although I regret it. Show you how much you know. 

Most the people skip the tolls. They wont go over 520 when 90 takes 5 minutes longer when there isnt any traffic. Tolls only get accurate data for traffic volume during rush hours.  
So even if you were right (you aren't), and the toll roads are only busy for rush hour,  rush hour traffic has decreased by 60%.  Does that tell you anything about the traffic around Seattle?  Can you make an informed extrapolation from that information?   

So even if you were right (you aren't), and the toll roads are only busy for rush hour,  rush hour traffic has decreased by 60%.  Does that tell you anything about the traffic around Seattle?  Can you make an informed extrapolation from that information?   
You're arguing traffic data with the guy that builds infrastructure for a living. You're not right. There hasn't been a rush hour for at least two weeks. 

Jay is right though on that matter. It's more like 70% overall. 

Users who are viewing this thread