What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

That we are surrounded by idiots is always apparent but will never be more apparent than in how this thing is going to unfold.
They shut down March 8th and it takes 2-3 weeks for it to really slow things down.  We haven't done anything serious yet in many parts of the country.  We're likely to blow past Italy two weeks from now.

"We're going to be celebrating a great victory in the not so distant future."  :unsure:
So incredibly ignorant.

First, there won't be a clear cut end to this, like for example WWII.

The closest things will be when finally testing is widespread and some numbers start leveling off and dropping, and when medicines are found to be effective at treating symptoms, and later IF/when a vaccine is developed.

The realization doesn't seem wide spread yet at what's coming... the pain and horrific experience of having millions worldwide die from C19 and other illnesses due to overrun and overwhelmed healthcare systems, not to mention a global recession, is going to leave very few in a celebrating mood years from now.

This thread has been amazing for staying informed. With that being said, my personality just can’t handle all the doom and gloom. I have an issue with worrying about things out of my control. Hope everyone stays safe and be kind to each other! Remember, where you are right now, isn’t where you’re always going to be. This, like everything else in this world will pass. Keep a positive attitude for those around you! I’ll see myself out.

Where are the billionaires and other super rich in America right now? We have average Americans buying gift certificates for local restaurants, running PPE donation drives, etc but I've yet to hear of anything the rich are doing to help other than recording videos of them singing while stuck in their mansions. 

Where are the billionaires and other super rich in America right now? We have average Americans buying gift certificates for local restaurants, running PPE donation drives, etc but I've yet to hear of anything the rich are doing to help other than recording videos of them singing while stuck in their mansions. 
With the Bruins ownership finally joining the rest of the NHL, all teams will be covering the potential lost pay of their arena workers from the impending cancellation of the season.

Lots of stories about NBA players sponsoring meals for children.

Sorry people if the governor of my state closed all non-essential businesses and allows for takeout and delivery still youre not gonna make me feel guilty for doing what the governor allows me to do. 

So you haven't gone food shopping recently?
last monday.  i have no need to leave the house, to go in public, for any reason, for at least 2 weeks.  

is that your normal routine?  if it is, nothing wrong with it, but that sort of behavior is what needs to be curtailed.  

imho, with the lack of testing, we are clueless as to how widespread this is, so the best thing we can do, is self isolate.  the #### is starting to hitting the fan in hospitals.  they are filling up and are running out of some supplies.  the next 2 weeks will be telling.

stay healthy

NJ governor giving presser now outlining their “shelter in place” order.  Trying to find a link to include here, breaking now.

one link
New Jersey governor-

BREAKING: I just signed an Executive Order directing nearly all residents to STAY AT HOME.

ALL gatherings are canceled.

ALL non-essential retail businesses must indefinitely close their physical stores to the public effective 9:00 p.m. tonight.

With the Bruins ownership finally joining the rest of the NHL, all teams will be covering the potential lost pay of their arena workers from the impending cancellation of the season.

Lots of stories about NBA players sponsoring meals for children.
The NHL has done a better job than other league. 

NBA is a good example though. Why should Zion be covering the wages of arena employees instead of the ####### billionaire owner? It's beyond selfish. I've never been one for wealth distribution but it might be time. 

last monday.  i have no need to leave the house, to go in public, for any reason, for at least 2 weeks.  

is that your normal routine?  if it is, nothing wrong with it, but that sort of behavior is what needs to be curtailed.  

imho, with the lack of testing, we are clueless as to how widespread this is, so the best thing we can do, is self isolate.  the #### is starting to hitting the fan in hospitals.  they are filling up and are running out of some supplies.  the next 2 weeks will be telling.

stay healthy
Yes I normally get bagel and coffee every Saturday and sunday. One of the simple joys I can still do right now according to my governor. Not gonna feel guilty about doing what is allowed of me. 

Besides twelve and one, zero is a number too.  Getting this crisis to end quickly is what we can do to help every person and business in America.
Agreed 1000%

Governor says takeout still allowed. So I took out. Once he says it's not allowed I'll stop. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I normally get bagel and coffee every Saturday and sunday. One of the simple joys I can still do right now according to my governor. Not gonna feel guilty about doing what is allowed of me. 
I’m going to pickup take out from a place I frequent.  I guess I don’t think thats bad 🤷‍♂️ I’d probably be to paranoid if I was in nyc though lol 

Elected officials do not inherently speak for common sense. HTH

An important note about how the C19 symptoms can start, from a NY neurosurgeon:

"If I had realized that it starts as a simple cold, I wouldn't have gone into the office. I would have started quarantining myself that Monday," he said.

"If (people) have any symptoms that seem like a cold or a flu, they should assume they have COVID-19 until proven otherwise ... You don't want to have to regret having infected and gotten sick a loved one or a friend or a colleague."

He's hoping to be asymptomatic by the end of the week, and after an additional seven days without symptoms, he said he'll be going back to work.

"I actually feel fortunate because now I can really be involved in the health care system without worrying that I can contract it," Kornel said. 

"I can be on the front line, and that's great because I was going to be out there anyway."

A New York neurosurgeon has coronavirus. This is what he wants people to know.
Reposting this - link to full story is at the bottom.

It's important to know that you can be infecting others without realizing it, from what starts as simple and mild cold symptoms.

i respect that.  the govenor allowing you to do it bit, is taking the responsibility off your shoulders.  that is why you're getting the flack.  optional reasons for going out, should be eliminated.  because you want to do your part to limit the spread,   :shrug:  

i'd like to have a few beers and play poker tonight, with 7 people, but i'm going to pass.  the CDC says it should be fine.  but i'm cool not going.

Meanwhile, 

BNO Newsroom

BREAKING: Italy reports 6,557 new cases of coronavirus and 793 new deaths, raising total to 53,578 cases and 4,825 dead

Are we not supposed to do takeout if we want it?
Sure, but personally I think it's wise to limit encounters with others. Especially, with those who themselves are having many encounters. And if you are going to have one, to make it count for more than a relatively insignificant single-person, single-use benefit. But of course, I'm all for continuing to support local businesses.

i respect that.  the govenor allowing you to do it bit, is taking the responsibility off your shoulders.  that is why you're getting the flack.  optional reasons for going out, should be eliminated.  because you want to do your part to limit the spread,   :shrug:  

i'd like to have a few beers and play poker tonight, with 7 people, but i'm going to pass.  the CDC says it should be fine.  but i'm cool not going.
It was also an optional trip for a snack - basically frivolous in today's reality.

There is a clear distinction between that and getting a meal - food is a necessity.

Bill Simmons is matching dollar for dollar donations to Boston food bank, up to $50k.  

Total fine imo.   Not getting the point of giving a guy crap for grabbing some take out.  
I think the thought is to really help since it's a risk to both parties is why not help him by buying a dozen or leaving a big tip. Breads freeze very well and still taste great after you re toast them in a toaster oven.

Sure, but personally I think it's wise to limit encounters with others. Especially, with those who themselves are having many encounters. And if you are going to have one, to make it count for more than a relatively insignificant single-person, single-use benefit. But of course, I'm all for continuing to support local businesses.
What if someone asked him for a “higher tier” bagel....say, an Evian bagel while he was out?

Are we not supposed to do takeout if we want it?
One thing I'd suggest is ordering more than one meal's worth at a time, so you can put it in the fridge and get a couple of day's worth of food from one trip out.

Limiting exposure opportunities helps everyone.

Caveat - I'm assuming take out places have less business than they can handle (due to people being cautious) rather than more business they can handle.

I think some people are confusing social distancing with self-isolation.   I'm not going to criticize people for deciding to self-quarantine, but I have no problem with someone who is doing activities while observing appropriate social distancing.   

I went to my golf club yesterday.   Walked from the parking lot to the driving range, hit a bucket of balls, got back in my car and went home.   Seems like some of you think I'm somehow killing people by leaving my house even though I didn't interact with another human being.

A little surprised the receipt-checking thing is still going on. So ... if they stop receipt-checking, what's the downside? They get robbed blind constantly and run out of inventory too fast? That's a function the club stores absolutely cannot waive right now?
The guy at Costco yesterday said that he wasn't allowed to hold my receipt. I had to hold it up for him. 

That we are surrounded by idiots is always apparent but will never be more apparent than in how this thing is going to unfold.
To give some perspective on just how worse the situation is in New York than it is in Italy...

After 12 days of lockdown, 886 people per million are infected in Italy.

On day ZERO of the lockdown, 722 people per million are infected in New York City. 

Given the density of New York City, the spread may have been doubling ever two days, which would mean in 12 days 46208 people per million will be infected in New York City

And given there have been zero travel bans between New York City and the rest of the US, and given how much of the US travels to and from NYC, this disaster that has unfolded due to the  leadership waiting way to long to act in New York City has significantly affected the rest of the country too. 

My optimism that the measures we are taking in Ohio, and other states, would result in us returning to normal in a month or two is 100% gone now. We are in this through at least the summer, if not longer. Thanks a lot New York. Thanks a ####ING lot!!!! :angry:

we plan on doing take out 1-2x a week to help out our local restaurants that we frequent a lot..  they offer curbside pickup (including growlers) so it is awesome..

Users who are viewing this thread