Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

1 minute ago, Koya said:

Wow.  For one, other than some stocking positions at Amazon or Costco, who the heck is hiring in any industry? And these folks are in an industry where no other jobs will be available for months, and many lost forever (i.e. restaurants that go under).

Sorry GB, but you seem terrible removed from the realities of a huge part of not just our economy, but our society.  Hospitality workers account for 15 Million jobs.  That's 10% of the TOTAL workforce.

The hospitality industry also has a large portion of their workforce that lives week to week, with little savings and high debt.  Including families with children. Many work multiple jobs just to pay those bills, week to week. Very few have health insurance. And what they do bring in salary wise is spent on housing and getting to/from work far more than it should be. There's very little, if anything, left. Even for many working hard as well.

With that as backdrop, where can they get jobs now? Their skills and experience, even those who are in executive positions, revolves around one industry. Are they going to become an architect (not that new buildings are going to suddenly prop up, likely the opposite)? A management consultant? A registered nurse in the next couple months?

Our entire system is facing catastrophic and cataclysmic realities.  To assume that most of these employees can "find another job" seems to be ignoring one very big reality, with any number of repercussions.

They can all go work in a grocery or Amazon warehouse and catch the virus there.

This whole shelter in place doesn't work unless every person still working is wearing full protective gear.

12 minutes ago, East Coast Bias said:

I’m in the process of moving so I’m going either way so I drive and have my vehicle and a little stuff or fly and have two suitcases full. Moving company won’t come pack my place in WA until May. Can’t find another moving company since it’s a company sponsored relocation. Agree it’s a terrible time to move but it has to happen at some point soon so might as well be locked down in the new city. 

The drive from WA to NC during this time...to the extent that people are still on the highways, I would think that 3-4 day trip would be quite surreal.  Sleep in your car.

Oklahoma is down to 100 kits.  I know of at least four people with several symptoms who have been told that they will not be tested.

Yet actors/actresses and NBA players are getting tested with no symptoms.

Wtf

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rascal said:

Oklahoma is down to 100 kits.  I know of at least four people with several symptoms who have been told that they will not be tested.

Wtf

:moneybag:

• Like 2

Seems like a better option to staying home for months would be to get body suit and respirator makers to start cranking out protective gear people can wear and live their lives while being protected. The lack of proper protective gear in the West seems to be a problem.

Also, we’ve all seen those videos of troops in China in full body suits and masks fumigating cities. Is there a reason that’s not going on here? If this is a war against the virus we need to go on offense at some point. 

Wow, the story of the family who lost 4 members on CNN now. One sibling talking about how it all started. Still some family members are in ICU on life support with still with no test results. On Cuomo. 😥

20 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

What about the tree that owns itself?

It can do whatever the #### it wants.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Doesn't do small business owners any good.  Not eligible for unemployment.  Guess they can all go work for a grocery or amazon while their business is closed and catch it there.

Owning a small business it’s like having a second family budget that you have to worry about. Imagine losing your job in your actual family and then having to close in your “second family.”  We could go under really quickly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Wow, the story of the family who lost 4 members on CNN now. One sibling talking about how it all started. Still some family members are in ICU on life support with still with no test results. On Cuomo. 😥

Pretty deadly hoax 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Thank you for providing this essential service. Please know it is hugely appreciated.

I appreciate it, thank you. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/spl/pennsylvania-coronavirus-list-life-sustaining-businesses-shutdown-order-20200319.html

The more I read this, the more pissed I get.  By the time you get through all the exceptions on the list, you're only eliminating 50% of the workers from going to work.  If you have this many people interacting and then going home to their family, it's getting spread around.  Basically you're accomplishing nothing, but your crushing 50% of the workforce economically. 

25 minutes ago, rascal said:

Wtf

Love it when these same famous people get on their soapboxes and tell the rest of us how we should behave too.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/spl/pennsylvania-coronavirus-list-life-sustaining-businesses-shutdown-order-20200319.html

The more I read this, the more pissed I get.  By the time you get through all the exceptions on the list, you're only eliminating 50% of the workers from going to work.  If you have this many people interacting and then going home to their family, it's getting spread around.  Basically you're accomplishing nothing, but your crushing 50% of the workforce economically. 

There's a whole lot of "yes" on that list that isn't required to shut down.

19 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Is the 40 Watt still open?

Pre and post Corona only.

14 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I suspect that places like CA, WA and NY will be put on stricter lockdown at some point, especially CA since Newsom is all for going all out asap, and we're now the first state to be on shelter in place.

Former U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley leaves Boeing board, opposing federal aid

“I cannot support a move to lean on the federal government for a stimulus or bailout that prioritizes our company over others and relies on taxpayers to guarantee our financial position,” Haley said in a letter to the company’s management released by Boeing on Thursday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:

I'm going to try social distance myself from this thread and news for a bit. Stay healthy everyone. DVR and ignorance time.

This is smart. I have been a nervous mess thinking about “well this was my last exterior contact with anything. Then I adjust my 5 days out (even though I know it could be longer.)

We have a ton of blu rays and DVDs downstairs like 800. My 15 year old daughter went down and grabbed 12 of them after dinner and asked my wife and I, “So what are we going to watch?”

it was exactly what we needed to do. Turn phones off and just watch a crappy horror movie. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, lod001 said:
3 hours ago, Politician Spock said:

New York State has 5367 confirmed cases, but 3615 are from New York City alone. That means New York City alone has nearly 3 times as many as the 2nd highest state (Washington  - 1376).

If a week from now they aren't worse than Italy, I will be surprised. 

NYC will explode with cases.

Is exploding

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

There's a whole lot of "yes" on that list that isn't required to shut down.

Yessiree.  

19 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

“I cannot support a move to lean on the federal government for a stimulus or bailout that prioritizes our company over others and relies on taxpayers to guarantee our financial position,” Haley said in a letter to the company’s management released by Boeing on Thursday.

Aren't there lots of rumors that she may replace Pence on the next ticket? If so she's building her resume a bit here. Some sleight of hand to be able to point to this, attempting to balance or obscure that she was on this same board as they used all their tax cut money and profits to buy back their own stock and enrich themselves. 

Probably not the thread for this. But as the public turns on these airlines for their unethical practices, not surprising to see someone who hopes to have a political future bail.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

My prediction is THIS is the point where this thread tries but cannot recover from POLITICS. 

Edited by facook

20 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

Totally not politically driven. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAA said:

Sure - how many is that?  Unemployment?  Can they find a different job?  There is no job they can do?

Grocery stores are trying to hire literally thousands of people on the spot to work in stores and warehouses.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, East Coast Bias said:

I’m in the process of moving so I’m going either way so I drive and have my vehicle and a little stuff or fly and have two suitcases full. Moving company won’t come pack my place in WA until May. Can’t find another moving company since it’s a company sponsored relocation. Agree it’s a terrible time to move but it has to happen at some point soon so might as well be locked down in the new city. 

Username checks out.

• Laughing 4

3 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

Grocery stores are trying to hire literally thousands of people on the spot to work in stores and warehouses.

Instacart and Ubereats drivers too. It’s 5 days for Instacart to get here at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, East Coast Bias said:

I'd recommend looking for one of these for your drive.

1 hour ago, rascal said:

Wtf

The far bigger WTF is 100 kits.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

Instacart and Ubereats drivers too. It’s 5 days for Instacart to get here at the moment. 

Due to unfortunate life events I've been door dashing lately. I went out today, and it was pretty busy. Chipotle is only letting one customer inside at a time.  I had six deliveries today and five were Chipotle. They were all to businesses that are still open. Decided today that it's super not worth it so I'm done. One time I delivered to a topless guy. That's my best story. Not sad to shut it down. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

So my wife didn’t bother mentioning that we are down to our last 2 rolls of toilet paper. :wall:

Talk to the hand!

(sorry)

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, Dungeon Master said:

Due to unfortunate life events I've been door dashing lately. I went out today, and it was pretty busy. Chipotle is only letting one customer inside at a time.  I had six deliveries today and five were Chipotle. They were all to businesses that are still open. Decided today that it's super not worth it so I'm done. One time I delivered to a topless guy. That's my best story. Not sad to shut it down. 

Yea - definitely doesn’t seem like a good gig. Understandable. 

7 minutes ago, Dungeon Master said:

I agree, good choice I think.

I delivered pizzas in HS and thought I was making mad stacks.

Then my transmission went out.

Delivery jobs are brutal on cars.

22 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

Is this because restaurants are closed?

4 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

My wife is going to need a straight jacket soon. She now has a case of a 35-year-old mother with asthma who probably won't make it to tomorrow. The healthcare workers all say they have never seen anything like this. Many of them don't want to come back to work (which obviously would be a HUGE problem).

My kid went out with a friend to a video game store to trade in some games. I told him he is part of the problem and he was lucky his baseball bat was stored in the garage. Do video game stores really fall in the category as "an essential business?" Really? No offense to Game Stop, but how many germs are getting on all their game cases?

People . . . stay home and only go out for food and supplies (and work if you absolutely have to). And go wash your hands again . . . YOU MISSED A SPOT!!!!!!! Don't like it? Then go wash them again!

:( about the 35 year-old mother, and your wife for dealing with those situations.

As far as Game Stop, I've seen them called on on Reddit as being one of the worst employers right now with how they're handling C19.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BassNBrew said:

Is this because restaurants are closed?

Slightly, but it's mostly due to the panic buying and hoarding at grocery stores, added onto the buying people are doing so they have the government recommended 2-3 weeks of food at home.

Posted (edited)

My brother (43) and niece (12) are recovering from most likely CV. His wife works in the epicenter of the virus near Seattle in the hospital where all the first patients arrived.

My neighbor (35) is recovering, about 12 days in.

Our good friend (40) down the street probably has it, too.

All of these people will not be tested.

Edited by ex-ghost
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Capella said:

I used Instacart for the first time today after finding out Walmart was unable to handle pickup. Walmart and local stores look like a bomb went off in them--it is sad.

Wow, what a great experience!! I set up my account and the delivery was out one-two days, but then magically the clouds parted and a five hour window slot came up when I put my info in--which I jumped on. I shopped with the girl at Sam's and approved the substitutions as she went. She had great taste! Three items were out--canned chicken, face tissue and something else I can't remember. She got it to our house in under two hours. We told her to put it in the garage so we could wipe all the items off. So easy!! I really wish I would have tipped her more. The only problem we ran into was our other food delivery arrived at the same time, so our garage was a beehive of activity. We were getting really nervous because some cars were driving by really slowly and looking sketchy before we could shut the door--probably just being paranoid I am sure, but needless to say the front of our house is lit up like Christmas right now. 

Just a side note, my daughter works at Sam's and I really wish she didn't They wouldn't let staff wear gloves tonight, but the CEO sent them a message saying they all get $150 bonuses for all their dedication. Not a fair trade-off IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotSmart said:

Slightly, but it's mostly due to the panic buying and hoarding at grocery stores, added onto the buying people are doing so they have the government recommended 2-3 weeks of food at home.

If that's the case, these jobs will dry up in 2 weeks unless they are just going to backfilling for all the people who will be catching this virus on the job.

What is actually closed in California? Is Gov Newsome seriously going to close restaurants? He can't do that. 

And in order to run a city or government and day to day it requires emergency personnel and those people need to be able to travel and have services provided so they can work on the sick people. 

I read posts of some folks saying there isn't enough of a shutdown, the cities have to remain somewhat open. It's illogical to think you can keep everyone indoors. 

• Like 1

Just now, ex-ghost said:

My brother (43) and niece (12) are recovering from most likely CV. His wife works in the epicenter of the virus near Seattle and she works in the hospital where all the first patients arrived.

My neighbor (35) is recovering, about 12 days in.

Our good friend (40) down the street probably has it, too.

All of these people will not be tested.

I can already foresee great arguments down the road amongst various groups arguing about the statistical extrapolation results that attempt to capture how many people actually had C19 but were never tested/verified.

There will likely be some claiming that we had a huge number of natural flu deaths this year that were not C19 related.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

What is actually closed in California? Is Gov Newsome seriously going to close restaurants? He can't do that. 

And in order to run a city or government and day to day it requires emergency personnel and those people need to be able to travel and have services provided so they can work on the sick people. 

I read posts of some folks saying there isn't enough of a shutdown, the cities have to remain somewhat open. It's illogical to think you can keep everyone indoors. 

It will be interesting to see.

1 minute ago, NotSmart said:

I can already foresee great arguments down the road amongst various groups arguing about the statistical extrapolation results that attempt to capture how many people actually had C19 but were never tested/verified.

There will likely be some claiming that we had a huge number of natural flu deaths this year that were not C19 related.

Yep, my neighbor went to the doc again today and she said he is not a candidate for testing. He did, however, get a flu test early on and it came back negative. This helped the doc surmise that it was CV19. I totally agree with the 5-10x more people have it than tested. I actually would guess it is much, much higher.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

If that's the case, these jobs will dry up in 2 weeks unless they are just going to backfilling for all the people who will be catching this virus on the job.

They definitely aren't long term jobs, but I think many of them will last for a while - and as you mentioned, there will be some degree of ongoing attrition due to some workers getting sick.

There's going to be a great emphasis on getting food through the supply chain as quickly as possible to keep the stores as well stocked as possible - that will take extra workers.

Edited by NotSmart
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to whomever earlier today mentioned www.butcherbox.com

I signed up for a monthly delivery from them.  

Hopefully that will be an ongoing food supplement - they're pricey'ish, but I think well worth it to not have to venture outside for that shopping.

That in turn prompted me to google local farms that deliver, and I also ended up signing up for one that delivers vegetables, milk, and eggs.

Again pricey, but hopefully it's a stable source.

If anyone else is thinking of a subscription like either of the above, sooner is better than later right now to get signed up.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

It's not a complete lockdown. Essential businesses and personnel are fine. Restaurants can remain open but takeout only. Many have chosen to close probably because people are in more. We aren't stuck indoors. We need to be cognizant of keeping 6 ft from each other when out. There's a list somewhere of what's essential which is still pretty loose especially since we are one of the top 3 states in the nation to shelter in place today. I live in the Bay Area and this was day 2 for us up here. I went to a medical appt, pharmacy and store. I'm now good to be in for a week or more. You can exercise out, lots walking out, just need 6 ft distance from each other. SF is day 3 and it's going quite well. Police have only needed to educate those too close to each other. Exception is if you're a family who lives together. All businesses have complied. If businesses don't they could face licensing issues. If people are blatantly ignoring the 6 ft rule then it could be a misdemeanor. I'm happy about this. Let's shut it down and get this over with sooner. Love our governor. He finally saw it makes the most sense for the state to have uniform policies. 

PS: my bro helps take care of my dad on the weekends. He's in LA, dad in Irvine. Ok to go back and forth because caregiving is essential. 

Edited by CurlyNight
  • Like 2

If you had to bet your mortgage on whether the actual number of covid19 cases in the US was over or under 250k, what are you taking?

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I read posts of some folks saying there isn't enough of a shutdown, the cities have to remain somewhat open. It's illogical to think you can keep everyone indoors. 

Bay Area guy here (East Bay). Been indoors since Monday evening with a family of four. Had a pretty full pantry, and added some things with instacart and costco. Now have 1 month of food for all of us. 

I am very serious about staying indoors and I even chastised my wife for taking a pitstop today after picking up some eggs at my brothers house. I have a clock that started Monday night with respect to exposure. When she goes out and interacts, my clock starts over in effect. 

There's a developing social stigma with being out aside for some basics, like going grocery shopping, getting gas or walking a pet. If you are out and about and enjoying yourself through, for example, socializing, you may be made to feel bad about it (if you care). 

It may be illogical to think anyone can keep anybody indoors. Frankly, IDGAF. I'm keeping my family indoors to keep them from the idiots that think they can be outdoors, government guidance be damned. 

Still a lot of dummies out there. %*$# gonna get real in about 4-5 days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, zoonation said:

If you had to bet your mortgage on whether the actual number of covid19 cases in the US was over or under 250k, what are you taking?

Right now?  There are more than that in California.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Of course he can.  That’s why the governors of other states have already done it.  Stop posting nonsense.  It isn’t helpful.

• Like 3