What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (20 Viewers)

Cephied in Sunnyvale Ca has put out the first FDA approved rapid 45 min diagnosis kit. It can ship next week

Nurx in SF has home testing kits that started shipping yesterday. You go online to answer a questionnaire or on the app. If eligible you get the kit overnight. Results are given 24 to 48 hours later online with instructions of what to do. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely has been a big topic amongst local wives.  Guys just say “hey kids, stay in the damn house” and the kids don’t leave.  Women in this area (Evanston IL) like to have long conversations with kids about pros/cons.....and then after being worn down by the conversation, they lose focus and miss the fact that their kids snuck out the door after they turned their backs.  Some seriously lazy/crappy parenting amongst the “limo liberal” set near us.
My kids haven't gone anywhere, other than a walk with me, in over a week. 

People are going overboard. Social distancing, cough and hand hygiene are enough.

Its hard to tell people they wrong to take additional measures, because you can never say with 100% certainty the transmission risk for all activities/exposures. Reminds me of people worrying about toilet seat and mosquito transmission of HIV.
Caught our chief medical officer (Homecare) in the bathroom a few days ago and chatted about what was going to happen. He washed his hands and then grabbed the bathroom door handle with his bare hand. Even before all of this I always grab a paper towel first. Thought that was interesting coming from a guy whose job it is to give guidance and advice.

As for experts I go with Fauci. He’s saying stay home. If you can guarantee will won’t have failure of hospitals then let’s go with that plan.

Financial experts can help us figure how to get the financial part later.
It is impossible to separate the two scenarios. At least not in the United States. 

He's prob right, better to just rip of the band aid.
Agreed. We need a clear plan, fully implemented, with an exit strategy. This will not only help the medical situation but also calm the markets and protect the economy. People are looking for guidance and a firm goal.

hydroxychloroquine already seeing shortages....which sucks for the people that actually need it
I think I saw some estimate somewhere saying 10% or more of people surveyed thought they had the virus.  The best thing they could do if this drug were to work is keep it quiet until production of it was ramped up.  Otherwise all the yahoos are going to go hoard it.

It is impossible to separate the two scenarios. At least not in the United States. 
Definitely connected. However, you have to deal with the virus first. 

House is on fire you put it out first then deal with all the other stuff later.

Precisely because no one knows what is going to happen with the virus is why we shut it down for a few weeks. HC system gets all the attention. We hope #### hasn’t hit the fan. Then figure out how screwed the economy is.

Best case I see.

Yes.  Experts in infectious disease.  We should be listening to them.
And Cuomo

No especial expertise but one of the few pols demonstrating leadership.

I never paid much attention to him, seemed like typical Albany. Bickering resolved by 3 men in a room, after campaigning it’s NOT gonna be business as usual. Then he does the same thing to reconcile the budget.

I digress. He’s been stellar for weeks, and it is badly needed.

hydroxychloroquine already seeing shortages....which sucks for the people that actually need it
Yeah getting crazy amounts of scripts for it, most for new patients and doctors from outside the area. We were advised by corporate to scrutinize scripts to make sure they are for legit purposes and written by doctors within in their scope of practice. We seemed to be getting a lot of ‘I’ve got a friend who is a doctor and I think I need this’ scripts.

First thing I’m gonna do when I get back to work is run a report and make sure our patients who regularly take it get taken care of and triage from there. That is if we are ever able to get some in. It very likely could be the next TP situation with everyone trying to get it. And if it does prove to be helpful, the people who really need it won’t be able to get it.

Agreed. We need a clear plan, fully implemented, with an exit strategy. This will not only help the medical situation but also calm the markets and protect the economy. People are looking for guidance and a firm goal.
Exactly. It’s the uncertainty more than anything that’s effing everything up.

Yeah getting crazy amounts of scripts for it, most for new patients and doctors from outside the area. We were advised by corporate to scrutinize scripts to make sure they are for legit purposes and written by doctors within in their scope of practice. We seemed to be getting a lot of ‘I’ve got a friend who is a doctor and I think I need this’ scripts.

First thing I’m gonna do when I get back to work is run a report and make sure our patients who regularly take it get taken care of and triage from there. That is if we are ever able to get some in. It very likely could be the next TP situation with everyone trying to get it. And if it does prove to be helpful, the people who really need it won’t be able to get it.
Yeah, I told my wife to try and get her refill when I saw the rumors.  A lot of people in the lupus communities she reads are having issues/are scared.

Definitely connected. However, you have to deal with the virus first. 

House is on fire you put it out first then deal with all the other stuff later.

Precisely because no one knows what is going to happen with the virus is why we shut it down for a few weeks. HC system gets all the attention. We hope #### hasn’t hit the fan. Then figure out how screwed the economy is.

Best case I see.
Except you don't spend your life savings putting out the fire to your house. That would be pretty stupid. So it isn't as simple as that. 

And I don't think there is any consensus from the experts that a few weeks solves the problem. 

I think I saw some estimate somewhere saying 10% or more of people surveyed thought they had the virus.  The best thing they could do if this drug were to work is keep it quiet until production of it was ramped up.  Otherwise all the yahoos are going to go hoard it.
I hope people don’t start hoarding it. My wife has a prescription and that would suck if she couldn’t fill it. That said, I hope it works to treat coronavirus and they are able to ramp up production quickly. 

Exactly. It’s the uncertainty more than anything that’s effing everything up.
In so many areas.  For my business, not only do I have zero sales during all this but I have large amounts of capital invested in inventory and trying to make decisions whether to continue to pay for that inventory or cut it.  Obviously nobody can say, by X date we are going to be back to normal, but uncertainty over dates is paralyzing businesses beyond belief.

I took a look at Japan and Italy In Wikipedia and there is a time difference in when the two countries took the first action against the virus.

Japan on January 24 versus  Italy on February 22

Yep, Japan took major action early on.  
This is what I can’t reconcile about the U.S. response. There were examples to follow. We didn’t and still aren’t, and it’s absolutely confounding as to why. I guess it is naive to think people would do the right thing. When people say we don’t need the “nanny state”, that apparently isn’t true. Unfortunately we absolutely need it, at least in this case. 

Except you don't spend your life savings putting out the fire to your house. That would be pretty stupid. So it isn't as simple as that. 

And I don't think there is any consensus from the experts that a few weeks solves the problem. 
if your family is inside and can’t get out you do

We won’t spend our life savings in a few weeks. At the very least it buys us some time. 

But yeah no one has any idea what happens in a month. 

This is what I can’t reconcile about the U.S. response. There were examples to follow. We didn’t and still aren’t, and it’s absolutely confounding as to why. I guess it is naive to think people would do the right thing. When people say we don’t need the “nanny state”, that apparently isn’t true. Unfortunately we absolutely need it, at least in this case. 
you know why, it’s just the wrong forum

A note for joggers: I’m also of the belief exercise is important. However, when you are passing people from behind it’s on you not to exhale heavily about a foot from face. TIA
Some biker zipped past me today and did the BEHIND YOU shtick 6 inches behind me. ####er   give me more of a heads up or take to the street. 

Watching these images of Californians playing basketball, volleyball, hanging out in groups on the beach, walking in large packs, etc, etc, etc, I'm convinced that we're doomed. Doomed. People in my own family are refusing to change their behavior. I think for a solid percentage of people they're going to have to get impacted directly in order to make any changes. Americans (and others) are just predisposed to dismiss this as not a big deal. Major #### coming down the pike in the next month.

Watching these images of Californians playing basketball, volleyball, hanging out in groups on the beach, walking in large packs, etc, etc, etc, I'm convinced that we're doomed. Doomed. People in my own family are refusing to change their behavior. I think for a solid percentage of people they're going to have to get impacted directly in order to make any changes. Americans (and others) are just predisposed to dismiss this as not a big deal. Major #### coming down the pike in the next month.
Month?  In two weeks those who aren’t concerned today are going to be pooping their drawers. 

And as far as I remember, they haven't really put down any restrictions like other states.   It may not totally kill it, but it might slow down the threat of community spread.  it also talks about the half life of the virus, which I thought has potential to be much more important than just how long it "lives" on a surface.
Arizona has put down some restrictions. Bars and restaurants are closed except for to-go and delivery with some cities requiring to-go to be curbside only. I think most non-essential businesses are also shut down. Not as much as other states but they are doing good.

Testing is embarrassingly low and that’s causing a lot of people to not change their lives. I’m near a large retirement community and my pharmacy takes care of a lot of them. Attitudes have changed a little bit in the last few days but I’m afraid of answering the phone because bad news is sure to come soon. One of my regular patients got diagnosed with pneumonia but I don’t she was tested. If her or her husband get CV, I don’t think they’ll make it. 

After my discussion with Dr J earlier, I have since looked at a few other forums and found that his opinion appears to be growing

As the economy crumbles and the official virus numbers are still low here in the US, there will be many skeptics and detractors.  Conspiracy theories are about to explode in popularity.

I don’t know if quarantines will work in this country because much of the population literally doesn’t believe it’s an issue, and the govt doesn’t have a compliant population. 

We are the opposite of Japan/South Korea/China in how we’ve handled this in every conceivable way.  Unless we get a miracle drug/vaccine/treatment or the spring suddenly halts the spread unexpectedly, the USA has a disaster coming quickly.

Probably.  All you can do is stay home and ride it out.  Let other people destroy themselves.  At some point, it will be safe again once all these morons are infected - at which point, we will have herd immunity.

Exactly.  Chloroquine isn't going to work IMO.  These patients already have a very weak immune system (much like AIDS patients) and this drug suppresses bone marrow which grows immune cells.  Also, there are lots of side effects.  Could be dangerous.

Newsom on now. Says we'll see but we just put the orders in place 48 hours ago. He's going to see if people start to adjust their behaviour before he does anything else.

Month?  In two weeks those who aren’t concerned today are going to be pooping their drawers. 
And for sure even if there are a million deaths and a large percentage of people sick some won't bat an eyelash. Some are incapable of seeing beyond the tip of their nose. The stupid will for sure make this worse but the selfish will be the big dagger. You know there's a large group of "smart people" who will only stay under wraps for so long until they say eff it. They're going to value that cheddar over the neighbors they don't know.

I’m of the opinion that we lock it down for a few weeks so agree with the steps that CA gov took.

Aren’t the vast majority of people practicing the stay at home policy?

And for sure even if there are a million deaths and a large percentage of people sick some won't bat an eyelash. Some are incapable of seeing beyond the tip of their nose. The stupid will for sure make this worse but the selfish will be the big dagger. You know there's a large group of "smart people" who will only stay under wraps for so long until they say eff it. They're going to value that cheddar over the neighbors they don't know.
The 1 million that are most likely to die from this dont seem to have a problem finding stupid excuses to go out themselves. 

One thing I hadn't considered:  Very close friend of ours has a father dying as we speak.  Most likely won't live through the night.  Dementia has led to a host of other issues.  They are a very devout family, and under normal circumstances they would have a funeral that our family and scores of others would attend.  Even just wife/kids/grandkids will be more than 10.  These people are also very practical, so I presume they will cremate and spread ashes somewhere.  But there must be hundreds or thousands of people dying with no formal service/recognition every day now.   :cry:

After my discussion with Dr J earlier, I have since looked at a few other forums and found that his opinion appears to be growing

As the economy crumbles and the official virus numbers are still low here in the US, there will be many skeptics and detractors.  Conspiracy theories are about to explode in popularity.

I don’t know if quarantines will work in this country because much of the population literally doesn’t believe it’s an issue, and the govt doesn’t have a compliant population. 

We are the opposite of Japan/South Korea/China in how we’ve handled this in every conceivable way.  Unless we get a miracle drug/vaccine/treatment or the spring suddenly halts the spread unexpectedly, the USA has a disaster coming quickly.
I don’t see why it’s so hard to believe, the more they restrict the more over the top some of us are going to see this.   

It doesn’t help when our elected officials are totally inconsistent and close down everything in the state but make sure they can still run their primaries.    It makes it seem like there’s a degree of them being opportunistic and self serving.  

I’m of the opinion that we lock it down for a few weeks so agree with the steps that CA gov took.

Aren’t the vast majority of people practicing the stay at home policy?
We can only lock it down so much. Some people still won't give a ####. Then in a few weeks...then what? This isn't going away any time soon.

My kids haven't gone anywhere, other than a walk with me, in over a week. 
same. I have gone grocery shopping alone, twice. otherwise 24/7 mom, dad, boy1, boy2. they have gone rollerblading or biking or scootering while we walk. but they have not seen a friend or played with neighbors since last Thursday

One thing I hadn't considered:  Very close friend of ours has a father dying as we speak.  Most likely won't live through the night.  Dementia has led to a host of other issues.  They are a very devout family, and under normal circumstances they would have a funeral that our family and scores of others would attend.  Even just wife/kids/grandkids will be more than 10.  These people are also very practical, so I presume they will cremate and spread ashes somewhere.  But there must be hundreds or thousands of people dying with no formal service/recognition every day now.   :cry:
One of my friends lost his wife to pancreatic cancer monday. 

Came fast and furious. Had to cancel the wake. 

I also think the evil nfl owners will find a way to have the season. Keep the players locked up in hotel quarantine all year and back and forth to the facilities only. I dunno. 

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/1 -    9,039 reported cases - 133 dead - USA 76 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/14 - 75,916 reported cases - 2,640 dead - USA 2,995 cases - 60 dead

3/15 - 88,508 reported cases - 3,302 dead - USA 3,667 cases - 68 dead

3/16 - 101,557 reported cases - 3,931 dead - USA 4,663 cases - 86 dead

3/17 - 117,300 reported cases - 4,739 dead - USA 6,439 cases - 109 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/19 - 164,646 reported cases - 6,800 dead - USA 14,299 cases - 218 dead

3/20 - 194,589 reported cases - 8126 dead - USA 19,383 cases - 256 dead

3/21 - 225,885 reported cases - 9,771 dead - USA 26,112 cases - 325 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

Looks like I forgot to do this last night.  Last two days in bold.  

Users who are viewing this thread