What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

What I thought was surprising is kids. I can’t imagine they aren’t picking it up. They pick up everything?  Are they just not showing symptoms and spreading it or is it so mild they don’t need any care and spreading?  Seems so strange. 
That's what I've heard.

But it's so early that good info is hard to come by on how it's spread, incubation period, etc.

Imagine the panic if kids and the elderly mortality rates were reversed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't overlook bottled o2 on your home Depot list.  It's in the welding supply.  If hospitals are ####ed it might be your last resort.  

I guess the good news is if I die in the next year my wife and son are friggin rich.  And also I will get to see if my faith has been anywhere close to accurate.  🤞

Can you set up a quarantine in your house? I know most of us FBG have some spare wing or guest mansion we could close off and put an infected person, but is there anything a regular plebe could to to minimize Spreading it through the house if a family member has it? 
The quarantined room could have a window fan pushing air outside that way air is entering the room from the house and not the other way around.  Hopefully, you have 2 bathrooms so the infected has their own bathroom.  If only one bathroom, the infected man could piss in a jug or baby toilet and only use the bathroom for dropping deuces.  But if you knew the person was infected with Coronavirus for sure and it wasn't the common cold, then I'd think you'd want to give them the whole house.  After what happened on the Diamond Princess, I wouldn't want to be in the same house with someone infected.

Power has been out last 6 hours, and occurred to me that we don’t have a land line. Utilities go out, within hours we’re literally on our own with no ability to call for help. Good idea to keep a power brick charged in case you need mobile for 911. Unlikely to be an issue, but a way I hadn’t thought about that makes us even more vulnerable if there were a meaningful interruption of basic services. 
Why?

Not sure exactly. But called and they said some equipment is out in the deep woods and repair people have to carry equipment by hand. Estimated it would be on by 8pm, and it’s 8:09. Affecting about 200 homes.

Also, it’s almost 60 now, but will be in 30s by morning, with cold front around 2am. So hoping they get it together or it’s going to be a cold night without heat.
Ah, for some reason i thought you were in Austin.

US soldier has it.

A USFK soldier stationed at Camp Carroll tested positive for COVID-19, marking the first time a U.S. service member has tested positive for the virus. We’re implementing all appropriate control measures to protect the force.

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277

2/12 - 490

2/17 - 893 reported cases - (454 on Diamond Princess) - 135 recovered - 36 serious/critical - 5 dead 

2/18 - 1,014 reported cases (542 on Diamond Princess) - 152 recovered - 39 serious/critical - 5 dead

2/19 - 1,149 reported cases (621 on Diamond Princess) - 169 recovered - 45 serious/critical - 10 dead

2/20 - 1,259 reported cases (634 on Diamond Princess) - 191 recovered - 45 serious/critical - 11 dead

2/21 - 1,525 reported cases (634 on Diamond Princess) - 209 recovered - 52 serious/critical - 15 dead

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases (634 on Diamond Princess) - 210 recovered - 66 serious/critical - 19 dead

2/23 - 2,213 reported cases - 27 dead

2/24 - 2,491 reported cases - 38 dead 
2/25 - 2,931 reported cases - 48 dead

One pro-tip here could be to seek out the coronovirus, get infected, and if you survive there's going to be a whole lot of things you'll be able to do a lot cheaper than normal. 

Cruises come to mind, but maybe some performances...disney world/land may be a little less populated.  Maybe it's a frugal choice to get infected and then capitalize on all the discounted, low populated places. 

Really seems like we are doubling every 5 days or so.  If that holds, we will be at 200k in a month and it will go exponential from there.

Really seems like we are doubling every 5 days or so.  If that holds, we will be at 200k in a month and it will go exponential from there.
Right in time for spring to kick in, temperatures to rise, and hopefully start to battle the spread of this.

It's about time global warming came in handy for something.

One pro-tip here could be to seek out the coronovirus, get infected, and if you survive there's going to be a whole lot of things you'll be able to do a lot cheaper than normal. 

Cruises come to mind, but maybe some performances...disney world/land may be a little less populated.  Maybe it's a frugal choice to get infected and then capitalize on all the discounted, low populated places. 
@Donald Trump bro, now would be a good time to invade Chyna and take back our bonds.  

Apparently you can get reinfected with this virus. But if willing to wear a space suit, you could have a cruise ship of your own. 
That hasn't been confirmed.  There is a thought that someone got a false positive, got better, then got a real positive.  The test accuracy needs to be solid to make this call and it wasn't and isn't.  

Worldometer: Iran has surpassed Singapore and Hong Kong.

1. China: 78,064 confirmed, 2,715 deaths 
  2. South Korea: 1,146 confirmed, 12 deaths
  3. Diamond Princess: 691 confirmed, 4 deaths
  4. Italy: 323 confirmed, 11 deaths
  5. Japan: 161 confirmed, 1 death
  6. Iran: 95 confirmed, 16 deaths
  7. Singapore: 91 confirmed
  8. Hong Kong: 85 confirmed, 2 deaths
  9. USA: 57 confirmed
  10. Thailand: 37 confirmed
I think Iran’s numbers are a joke. They likely have the 2nd most cases after China. 

CDC Updates: 

From CDC press call: "Disruption to everyday life might be severe," says Dr. Nancy Messonnier. She said she told her children this morning, "While I didn't think they were at risk right now, we as a family ought to be preparing for significant disruption to our lives.”

More: "The data over the last week and the spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern and certainly raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here."  [Source](https://twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1232347657332576256?s=21)

Outlook for coronavirus in the U.S.: CDC is "preparing as if we are going to see community spread in the near term," says Dr. Messonnier on media call. [Source](https://twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1232351586925645824?s=21)

From BNO - U.S. CDC: "We can have community spread in the United States and have it be reasonably mild, we can have community spread in the U.S. and have it be very severe. So that's what we don't completely know yet." [Source](https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1232360016079917058?s=21)

U.S. CDC: "We're asking folks in every sector, as well as people within their families, to start planning for this, because as we've seen from the recent countries that have had community spread, when it hit in those countries, it has moved quite rapidly." [Source](https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1232361367732183041?s=21)

[Audio of the briefing](https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3)

----

The window to get supplies without feeling like a contestant on American Gladiator is rapidly closing.

Are they gauging for surgical masks on amazon because of this or do they just cost a lot more than you’d think?

CDC Updates: 

From CDC press call: "Disruption to everyday life might be severe," says Dr. Nancy Messonnier. She said she told her children this morning, "While I didn't think they were at risk right now, we as a family ought to be preparing for significant disruption to our lives.”

More: "The data over the last week and the spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern and certainly raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here."  [Source](https://twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1232347657332576256?s=21)

Outlook for coronavirus in the U.S.: CDC is "preparing as if we are going to see community spread in the near term," says Dr. Messonnier on media call. [Source](https://twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1232351586925645824?s=21)

From BNO - U.S. CDC: "We can have community spread in the United States and have it be reasonably mild, we can have community spread in the U.S. and have it be very severe. So that's what we don't completely know yet." [Source](https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1232360016079917058?s=21)

U.S. CDC: "We're asking folks in every sector, as well as people within their families, to start planning for this, because as we've seen from the recent countries that have had community spread, when it hit in those countries, it has moved quite rapidly." [Source](https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1232361367732183041?s=21)

[Audio of the briefing](https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3)

----

The window to get supplies without feeling like a contestant on American Gladiator is rapidly closing.
Yeah I think I’m gonna do some shopping this weekend. 

we need to come together and create a master fbg Supply list.

At this point you’d have to be a fool to believe a word that comes out of that country.
And even it is, they've done by keeping everyone inside and non-mobile. How long that possibly last? You gotta figure as soon as people start moving back to their jobs, this explodes again.

soldier at Camp Carrol in South Korea is first US service member to test positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), a US Forces Korea statement released within the past hour says

We took our first cruise ever after 9/11 (over Thanksgiving) because most people weren't 100% comfortable floating around the oceans with 2000 others. Guess the same thing would apply here for much different reasons. 

It was more expensive to stay at home...

I was thinking the same thing, except that a hospital wouldn't be overwhelmed yet, so you'll get good treatment instead of a cargo container full of other sick people.

I just bought some bulk dry food and TP at Costco today.  My wife the public health professional got mad at me for giving into the fear.  I didn't see anyone else stocking up like me.  I only shelled out $200, but I figure that we could now last a month on the food we have in the house as long as the water, electricity and gas keep working.

We have no masks though...

I just bought some bulk dry food and TP at Costco today.  My wife the public health professional got mad at me for giving into the fear.  I didn't see anyone else stocking up like me.  I only shelled out $200, but I figure that we could now last a month on the food we have in the house as long as the water, electricity and gas keep working.

Wait...your wife thinks it’s no big deal?

She should know better than us. 

after much prodding, I got my wife to do some prepping over the weekend.  not a ton of food stuff, but a good bit of cleaning supplies, kleenex, toilet paper, bleach, soap, etc.  

I also bought into the mania today.

I picked up a display chest freezer at Home Depot for a hundred dollars and bought 1-2? months worth of food. In the freezer I have 20 pounds of ground beef and 10 loaves of bread, along with a serious amount of canned/nonperishable food.

I live in a community that is 50% asian and I did not feel alone at Costco. I got one of the last remaining 50 pound bags of rice and toilet paper. Although I am sure they will restock. The lines were 15 carts deep when I checked out.

This is probably not the case in middle america though.

Wait...your wife thinks it’s no big deal?

She should know better than us. 
You know ... if you’re not on a Coronavirus thread in a message board somewhere, this stuff is pretty much off your radar. It’s happening “somewhere else”, somewhere far away. In China, in Iran, South Korea, Italy. Might as well be Mars.

It’s Mardi Gras time in New Orleans, so I’ve been to several family gatherings over the past few days. No one says jack about the coronavirus. Not even to make light of it.

It hasn’t been in the paper except for wire-service reprints. None of the local opinion writers have touched the topic. Local TV news is similar — stories from overseas, always “somewhere else”.

I would bet locally, at present, the masks and such are still stocked close to usual levels. Maybe that changes in a week or two.

Still not getting the mask stuff.   In what situation will those get pressed into service?  Mass transit?  Grocery stores? 

If someone in your house get it the whole house has it before you can unbox the things.  

Been wondering if any types of masks could be re-used? Throw em in a hot dryer for 10 minutes? Bake em in a 200- or 250-degree oven for a bit? Launder then in bleach? Soak them in boiling water, or in mild bleach solution

Users who are viewing this thread