What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

Then after this we get geopolitical conflict from all of the people that will starve due to lowered food production.     Probably WW3 at some point...

Just wondering: my mother in law watches our kid at our house every day. She hasn’t gone anywhere except back and forth from our house to hers in the last 10 days - only on walks around her neighborhood. We have that life 360 app that’s tracks where she goes (not because of this but she tripped and fell when out with the kid a year ago and we didn’t know where she was). 

Am I being paranoid or is it ok to have her still come over? I feel like I’m losing my mind sometimes. 
Unless you yourself are on full lockdown its a risk. This thing ravages the elderly. 

Just wondering: my mother in law watches our kid at our house every day. She hasn’t gone anywhere except back and forth from our house to hers in the last 10 days - only on walks around her neighborhood. We have that life 360 app that’s tracks where she goes (not because of this but she tripped and fell when out with the kid a year ago and we didn’t know where she was). 

Am I being paranoid or is it ok to have her still come over? I feel like I’m losing my mind sometimes. 
I recently stopped letting my ex wife’s mother watch our two kids. Her dad is 80 years old. They all thought I was being neurotic......not anymore. 

My brother goes from LA to Irvine to help my dad. He does his essential errands. Right when he enters my dad's, he strips down. Sanitises up, wash hands before he gets close to dad. There's no choice. Dad can barely walk and has no use of his left arm. The caregivers I hear are taking precautions. Not much we can do. Bro did the 24/7 care last summer since schools were out and he was on the verge of losing his mind. Also is a lot of physical work. So we are doing our best with dad. Really isn't more we can do without someone needing a quarantine, and not because of CV-19..

My brother goes from LA to Irvine to help my dad. He does his essential errands. Right when he enters my dad's, he strips down. Sanitises up, wash hands before he gets close to dad. There's no choice. Dad can barely walk and has no use of his left arm. The caregivers I hear are taking precautions. Not much we can do. Bro did the 24/7 care last summer since schools were out and he was on the verge of losing his mind. Also is a lot of physical work. So we are doing our best with dad. Really isn't more we can do without someone needing a quarantine, and not because of CV-19..
Sorry to hear. That sounds terrible. 

Other than our own walks we haven’t left the house either since March 12 - other than neighborhood walks. All groceries Instacarted in and wiped down. 
That's impressive.

Have to make a food/booze run tomorrow. I'm at my sister's lake house in rural Appalachia and we've decided to stay a few more days. Two known cases in the county. I gel going in and gel coming out. Not quite to the wipe down stage yet, but probably should. Why not? 

That's impressive.

Have to make a food/booze run tomorrow. I'm at my sister's lake house in rural Appalachia and we've decided to stay a few more days. Two known cases in the county. I gel going in and gel coming out. Not quite to the wipe down stage yet, but probably should. Why not? 
We had about 150 bucks worth of groceries come in today. Took less than 10 minutes. I figure those Instacart folks have to unfortunately come across a lot of people so better safe than sorry. 

While I generally don't agree with all of the stuff that Ackman says--I do think that he was right here.  And it's not just him that's right about what is needed to fight the virus--the Chinese also found it the right way (albeit that they lied through their teeths to the rest of the world about the seriousness of it).   This is a relentless virus that spreads like wildfire.  Until a vaccine is made--the only way to defeat this thing is through extreme organization and extreme discipline.   Only when those things occur--can the virus get stalled enough for the healthcare system to handle things more reasonably. If also affords them more time to get the necessary supplies they need to battle this thing.   We cannot beat this worrying about salvaging our economy in the short to medium term--we're beyond that. Our short to medium term economy is already effed.   If we don't do the smart thing and shut things down completely--not only will we be compromising way more human life, we're also eroding away our healthcare system, but also risking our long term economic outlook.  

The best analogy I can make is when somebody decides to do a really deep cleaning of their house.  You basically have to tear through your closets, garages, every drawer--and you end up making a bigger mess at the beginning of the process. However--after that initial wave of making a bigger mess comes  the final product of the process: a  better, cleaner and organized house that you and your family members can prosper in.  
I think many are counting on the weather warming up. People don't get that this is an unknown.

My friend who has lived in nyc since before 9/11 left last week. Her lungs are compromised because of all the debris and crap from that event. Now she’s in the hospital in Tampa. She tested positive but her husband isn’t showing any symptoms so he’s wasn’t tested. 

When we have to start triaging patients and the elderly are left to die. Much like several areas of Italy. 
I noticed that you used the word "when" rather than "if". 

Sadly, I agree. This is the tragic path that we are on if we don't take strict drastic measures. 

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
I think the point is more that those that could more or less easily “sit still” for 14 days simply refuse to do it.

To really talk about it — in a real, honest way — required excoriating those we care about in real life and those we respect on this board. I’ll speak in generality and let everyone take their own meaning from it: there are people who are openly and shamelessly admitting to willfully not doing what needs to be done. People are looking for loopholes and outs. Looking for ways to displace blame. Looking for authority to excuse their choices.

These aren’t bad, messed-up, inferior people that have their heels dug in. They’ve just gone wayward somehow ... seeing themselves as something apart from everyone else. Not understanding why everyone needs to grab the rope and pull in the same direction. Not willing to sublimate the self even as such action is desperately needed.
I don't understand...you think people can sit still for 14 days completely locked down, no trips out for food or medicine? Because even people jogging back and forth for essentials is going to continue to spread this thing. 

I'm not sure anyone seems to understand how many people it takes to operate a government and run a city especially like NYC. These cities are not under lockdown no matter what you may hear. Sure, nobody is going to work but that's not true because people are still moving about.

I'm not sure I understand the logic or how you could even logistically carry it out. I don't want to argue or fight, I would like to understand where this is coming from because I don't have any clarity. What if 14 days isn't enough? A month? 2 Months? Whatever it takes, give up all liberties at a time like this? I need this group that is really shaming anyone who isn't of the mindset to sit huddled in their living rooms, do you really think you can control all people like your suggesting? People come from all walks of life and upbringing and what you hold or value as VITAL at a time like this doesn't necessarily hold true for others or everyone else. 

I guess I just worry about her stopping and chatting with somebody on her walks but she is taking it serious. I’m just being paranoid. 
You are not being paranoid—you are being smart.  You have to act and think that everybody has the virus—including yourself —and then act accordingly.  If you live your life with that kind of thought in mind—you will inherently be more careful and more aware—and thus you and your family will also be safer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand...you think people can sit still for 14 days completely locked down, no trips out for food or medicine?
I don’t think this needs to be spelled out. The specifics of the Wuhan quarantine would be sufficient. Specifically, that means food & medicine trips allowed, but limited (one trip per day per household). Local law enforcement (not necessarily police) vet emergencies and exceptions.

People come from all walks of life and upbringing and what you hold or value as VITAL at a time like this doesn't necessarily hold true for others or everyone else. 

In a time like this — a highly exceptional time, to be sure — individualism is not a virtue.

Users who are viewing this thread