What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

No U.S. academic study concurs this -- media worldwide got taken in by essentially a false paper put on Google Docs and since retracted due to Terms of Service violation. It's the same paper we debunked in this thread earlier today.

Note the ConnexionFrance.com article's quote about the "American study" (suspiciously not linked or cited, to boot):

It said: “Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay…
OK, so I wanted to find that "American study". Since the French article purports to quote directly from the "American study", I set out to Google the quote: “Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay"

I found that The Motley Fool also mentioned the same "American study" in a recent article, but also without citation. Hmmm.

Finally, I found a reference to this same study, still no link but this time with the names of the researchers. Yes! I was getting somewhere. But ...

... the reference was on Breitbart.

And the "researchers" were James M. Todaro and Gregory J. Rigano. Oh boy ... those names again -- the link to their study given in the Breitbart article.

"We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service."

Yet another link to the "American study", same "researchers" listed.,
:goodposting:

(I was just going to give your post a "Like". Then I was going to give it a "Thanks". Then I realized that neither gesture was sufficient. So, you get a "Love" and a ":goodposting"" and if Joe added a "Gold Star" button I'd give you that too. Thank you.)

Apologies if it was already mentioned but DeBlasio says that if people in NYC don't do better with social distancing by Saturday he will finally close all playgrounds. 

Perfectly typical of how he has handled all of  this. 
How has this not already happened?!  Good lord, I live in a county that hasn’t yet had a single positive case, and our playgrounds have been shut down for a week now. 

For the record, the anecdotal data does not at all mean that it is effective. It is way too premature to be touting this as effective. I am fine with “experimental” or “for compassionate use”, but “effective” is pretty negligent IMHO. 
I’m coining another new term: panicdotal. This isn’t how science works. I know the situation is dire, but people need to be patient while we methodically study potential therapeutics.

Not to be all tinfoil hat about it, but he can come out with optimism about Easter, the market can go up 10%, the trial from the doctor posted above, and I'm not supposed to think where there's smoke there's fire? Even Fauci was optimistic, darn near cheerful for him, citing the increase in testing and the data, the containment, the isolating and the tracing like South Korea did as the new strategy for non-hotspots. Even Cuomo, who is flat out screwed right now, said we need to do tiered mitigation, open things back up, antibodies syrum, young workers first, etc. today.

So I interpret it basically like this. If you're currently sick or dying in NY, CA, WA or anywhere really, you're out of luck. But for everyone else, the uncertainty is lessening. Heck the guy said Easter. You don't think someone told him something that he can't say yet, but he still said it in not so many words because he can't keep his mouth shut?

NY is going to suffer the brunt of this, and other hotspots too, and I feel for the healthcare workers on the front line of this because for them it's still a horror show. But it's going to get better for everyone else, and that's apparently happening in a sooner rather than later timeframe. What changed from doom and gloom to this newer sense of optimism? For my money, it's the treatments. Again, not to tinfoil hat, but that's a crazy reversal today and not just from the crazy guy.  
IMO Fauci has to show some optimism just to keep a spot on the stage. Otherwise he knows he is gone.

Apologies if it was already mentioned but DeBlasio says that if people in NYC don't do better with social distancing by Saturday he will finally close all playgrounds. 

Perfectly typical of how he has handled all of  this. 
He's pretty close to taking his ball and going home. 

@NateSilver538

A week ago, New York state had 87 detected coronavirus cases per 1m citizens

Here's where a lot of Southern states are *today*... the number of *detected* cases.

LA: 298 per 1m
MS: 107 per 1m
TN: 98 per 1m
GA: 98 per 1m
AR: 72 per 1m
FL: 66 per 1m
SC: 59 per 1m
AL: 44 per 1m

I went into Walmart a little before 8am in and out with TP in less then 10 minutes.  Went through the self checkout no lines.
I made a Target run today to top off our pantry on a few items.  I live 45 minutes away from the nearest Target, and I also needed to run a few other errands, so it wasn't just a Target trip, but whatever.  It was pretty dead at 9:30 am.  Nothing was out of stock except hand sanitizer (expected) and yeast.  So I stopped off at a nearby grocery store, and they were out of yeast too.  The reason why I was looking for yeast is because our local grocery was out of it when my wife went on Friday.  WTF is up with people buying yeast?  That seems incredibly random.

:goodposting:

(I was just going to give your post a "Like". Then I was going to give it a "Thanks". Then I realized that neither gesture was sufficient. So, you get a "Love" and a ":goodposting"" and if Joe added a "Gold Star" button I'd give you that too. Thank you.)
I don't know what needs to be done to make the "Gold Star" happen, but it should.  This is really a good idea. 

Oh, and corona virus sucks. 

huge Gaming conference in SF I was supposed to be at last week just rescheduled

GDC has announced the new dates this summer: August 4-6, same location. [https://www.gdconf.com/gdc-summer-2020](https://www.gdconf.com/gdc-summer-2020)

I made a Target run today to top off our pantry on a few items.  I live 45 minutes away from the nearest Target, and I also needed to run a few other errands, so it wasn't just a Target trip, but whatever.  It was pretty dead at 9:30 am.  Nothing was out of stock except hand sanitizer (expected) and yeast.  So I stopped off at a nearby grocery store, and they were out of yeast too.  The reason why I was looking for yeast is because our local grocery was out of it when my wife went on Friday.  WTF is up with people buying yeast?  That seems incredibly random.
Lotta people baking their own bread. Flour is scarce as well. 

I don't know what needs to be done to make the "Gold Star" happen, but it should.  This is really a good idea.
Meh.  It will just get overused and it's meaning diluted like everything else meant to be reserved for extremes like "awesome" and "genius".

Last edited by a moderator:
New Yorkers, please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't DeBlasio the one pushing for a quarantine in New York last week? Only to have Cuomo shoot it down and say it's a decision that can only come from him. Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Cuomo throughout this, just trying to wrap my head around this disconnect.
Cuomo questioned the legality of wether even the state could do that.

But in reality it would not have been effective unless you could simultaneously order shelter in place for Long Island, Connecticut & New Jersey. Because if you lock down the five boroughs people would have fled en masse to family & friends in the surrounding areas.

Its much ado about nothing at this point as all of those areas adopted some form of restrictions.

That's the only explanation I could come up with, but it seems stupid.  Who the hell bakes their own bread?  We are not in any danger of running out of bread.  Then again, we're also not in any danger of running out of toilet paper and paper towels, and we see what's happening there, so never mind I guess.  People are idiots.

Cuomo questioned the legality of wether even the state could do that.

But in reality it would not have been effective unless you could simultaneously order shelter in place for Long Island, Connecticut & New Jersey. Because if you lock down the five boroughs people would have fled en masse to family & friends in the surrounding areas.

Its much ado about nothing at this point as all of those areas adopted some form of restrictions.
If I recall correctly, Cuomo wasn't questioning if it could be ordered, he was saying it could only come from him, not DeBlasio.

Same result, I've looked for yeast on my last three grocery trips in three different stores and no dice.

I’m afraid to use the non-curseword English language descriptive terms I’d like to use for him, only because I don’t know if that’s banworthy only when applied to the president or if it applies to all elected officials whose handling or major issues I find at best lackluster, but, well, wow. 

He’s not good at being mayor. Or any kind of leader. I hope I can say that.  
But have you seen his glutes?

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/19 - 164,646 reported cases - 6,800 dead - USA 14,299 cases - 218 dead

3/20 - 194,589 reported cases - 8,126 dead - USA 19,383 cases - 256 dead

3/21 - 225,885 reported cases - 9,771 dead - USA 26,112 cases - 325 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/23 - 297,299 reported cases - 13,221 dead - USA 43,449 cases - 545 dead

3/24 - 340,116 reported cases - 15,527 dead - USA 53,595 cases - 696 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
I’m afraid to use the non-curseword English language descriptive terms I’d like to use for him, only because I don’t know if that’s banworthy only when applied to the president or if it applies to all elected officials whose handling or major issues I find at best lackluster, but, well, wow. 
Feckless.

It's feckless isn't it.

Just saw this tweet regarding New York

New York state reports 683 new cases of coronavirus and 61 new deaths, raising total to 26,348 cases and 271 dead

@NateSilver538

A week ago, New York state had 87 detected coronavirus cases per 1m citizens

Here's where a lot of Southern states are *today*... the number of *detected* cases.

LA: 298 per 1m
MS: 107 per 1m
TN: 98 per 1m
GA: 98 per 1m
AR: 72 per 1m
FL: 66 per 1m
SC: 59 per 1m
AL: 44 per 1m
Pretty sure in Alabama we are only testing if you have been interviewed after a tornado hit your trailer park.

That's the only explanation I could come up with, but it seems stupid.  Who the hell bakes their own bread?  We are not in any danger of running out of bread.  Then again, we're also not in any danger of running out of toilet paper and paper towels, and we see what's happening there, so never mind I guess.  People are idiots.
I can understand the logic of making your own bread. People want to be able to shelter in place for several weeks without having to buy any groceries, and bread is the one staple that doesn't last for several weeks (unless you freeze it, which isn't an ideal storage method).

This is my state honestly
I was actually surprised how tight Michigan is. My wife’s company is building a projects for a US military base so they assumed that they would be considered essential. They have to justify to the State how each employee is working on something worthy of exemption. They weren’t able to justify several members of their typical production staff.

Good dough is worth making, is cheap, and can be used for pizza, loafs, etc. 

That and flour were the first thing the wife mentioned. No yeast at any stores but I found some on Amazon cheap.will see how long that and chickpeas for my falafel takes to arrive. 

I would take her homemade bread over any store bought bread 100/100 times. 

ETA The stores are frequently out of yeast though so I suspect it's just a low inventory item that makes it harder to find when it becomes as sought after as TP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread