What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

Themes parks plan for opening April 19, one week after Easter. 

>> The planned reopen date was March 31, but the company moved it back as a response “to current conditions and make the health and safety of team members and guests our top priority,” Universal said in a statement. <<

Universal theme parks, hotels will be closed for extra 3 weeks. Disney may soon follow

>> On Tuesday, Royal Caribbean, which suspended the sailings of its global fleet due to the coronavirus, said ships would resume sailing on May 12. The company originally announced on March 14 that it would cancel cruise services until April 11. <<

Royal Caribbean cruises suspended for an extra month due to coronavirus, company says

Those plans sound optimistic, especially for the cruise lines. 
Never going to happen. This is getting worse, not better. We’re not even into the beginning of the curve yet. People need to extremely social distance until June probably. What do people not understand?

Nose has been a lot more stuffy, still no cough. Sudafed doing a decent job of helping things early in the day and less so by the evening. Got a sudden wave of fatigue last night around 830 but chalked it up to having a sporadic night of sleep the day before. Went to bed at 10:45 (very early for me) and I'm wide awake at 3:30. Temp is 100.0.  :unsure:

Sand said:
Stupid gonna stupid. Americans are less cavalier about COVID today then we were yesterday but it’s going to take Italy-like events in our big cities for us to finally ‘get it’. Doom & gloom I know but we simply refuse to think this virus won’t cripple this country like it has every other country that has responded quickly. Accompanied by leadership continually downplaying the impact doesn’t help and statements to the effect that we’ll be back to normal by Easter are already filtering into the business world (theme parks, cruise lines as cited above). I just find it surreal that even the most tone deaf person, having seen the simple geometric math associated with this virus could promote such inane doctrine.

I’ve said throughout that this battle will be won at the town/city/state level. I don’t know how long is long enough to lock things down but reality points me toward 30 days rather than 2 weeks although anything is better than nothing. Ohio governor Mike DeWine, “The truth is that protecting the people, and protecting the economy are not mutually exclusive. In fact, one depends on the other. And the fact is that we save our economy by first saving lives.”

Caught a chest cold when I flew to Michigan last weekend...I'm on the tail end of it now, it was just a cough with congestion, no other symptoms (I took my temp 3-4 times a day until a couple of days ago)...every time I went out in public the past week I had to make a concentrated effort not to cough, which wasn't easy, but I didnt want to freak anyone out. It's crazy how any little sign of sickness right now is looked at/judged.

https://towardsdatascience.com/what-the-law-that-forecasted-aids-ebola-sars-has-to-say-about-the-coronavirus-2473894f03c5

Farr's Law says it's possible.  These things have historically fallen just as fast as they have risen.   Hope that happens again.
Not a very reassuring article.  The evidence for the theory is basically just anecdotal, diseases like flu and measles would seem to be counter-examples, and the theory doesn't really rule out that the epidemic could die out quickly after affecting almost everyone in the US.

Tom Skerritt said:
Lotta people baking their own bread. Flour is scarce as well. 
I picked up 3 bags of flour and about 6 packets of yeast. I had to go to 3 different stores to find them. I want to learn how to make yeast rolls. I will be making some pizza dough as well. Already turned one bag of flour, a half gallon of buttermilk, and 5 sticks of butter into about 4 dozen biscuits.

Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Tasker said:
I do a lot of baking, it's one of my main hobbies, and I make at least 1 loaf of bread per week.  I haven't been able to find yeast in a few weeks.  Thankfully I have sourdough starters and a couple spare packets of active dry lying around if needed.

I haven't been able to find bread flour either.  AP flour still on the shelves though.
The only place that I saw bread flour was the Chef Store, owned by US Foods. If there is one in your area it might be worth checking out. Granted this was last Friday but they seemed to have most everything in stock. 

parasaurolophus said:
Lol.  @Soulfly3 has a bread recipe that was life altering. So good. 

So many other good breads to make too. 

Also seems weird that you want to buy yeast and then question why other people are buying yeast. 
thanks, bud.

when i lived in europe, i never, ever, under any circumstance made my own bread. it's just idiotic to do. 1 euro for the best, organic french bread made fresh throughout the day.

the piles of crap we get here in North America, or paying 8$ for organic loaves/boules? no thanks. when in NA, I bake my bread as much as is possible.

in fact, these past 2 weeks, ive probably made 4 boules and 1 pain de mie (loaf of "sandwich" bread) AMAZING

parasaurolophus said:
Lol.  @Soulfly3 has a bread recipe that was life altering. So good. 

So many other good breads to make too. 

Also seems weird that you want to buy yeast and then question why other people are buying yeast. 
Don't forget the cinnamon rolls. 

thanks, bud.

when i lived in europe, i never, ever, under any circumstance made my own bread. it's just idiotic to do. 1 euro for the best, organic french bread made fresh throughout the day.

the piles of crap we get here in North America, or paying 8$ for organic loaves/boules? no thanks. when in NA, I bake my bread as much as is possible.

in fact, these past 2 weeks, ive probably made 4 boules and 1 pain de mie (loaf of "sandwich" bread) AMAZING
Where might one find this recipe?

In China, only patients showing symptoms and positive results in nucleic tests are included in the official tally of confirmed cases. Asymptomatic patients who have tested positive are monitored and placed under quarantine until they develop symptoms or turn negative in later tests.

The World Health Organization, however, says in its guideline that "a person with laboratory confirmation of COVID-19 infection, irrespective of clinical signs and symptoms" should be counted as a confirmed case. 

The risk posed by asymptomatic cases has drawn significant attention in China in recent days. Addressing these concerns, Wu Zunyou, a spokesman for the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said at a news conference Tuesday that the asymptomatic patients had all been found when monitoring those who had come into close contact with confirmed cases. 

"Will they cause the spread (of the virus)? No they won't," Wu said.

"Why? Because in China, under our current measures, all close contact (patients) have been placed under quarantine and isolated medical observation, and will be sent to hospital for diagnosis and treatment once they develop symptoms. So they won't cause any spread in society," he added.
We're ####ed.

If anyone finds the details of this package please tag me
Here are some limited details as I read them from CNN:

Under the plan as it was being negotiated, individuals who earn $75,000 in adjusted gross income or less would get direct payments of $1,200 each, with married couples earning up to $150,000 receiving $2,400 -- and an additional $500 per each child. The payment would scale down by income, phasing out entirely at $99,000 for singles and $198,000 for couples without children.

While the final bill text hasn't been released, some of the areas have been debated behind closed doors for days. There was intense partisan debate over the $500 billion proposal to provide loans to distressed companies, with $50 billion in loans for passenger air carriers.

So I have already said one of my wife's employees lives with a woman who checked into the hospital with breathing problems over the weekend. Another one of her warehouse employees called her last night and said she was feeling fatigued and had a slight fever. She went to an emergency clinic and the doctor diagnosed her with the flu without even testing her for the flu. WTF?

Here are some limited details as I read them from CNN:

Under the plan as it was being negotiated, individuals who earn $75,000 in adjusted gross income or less would get direct payments of $1,200 each, with married couples earning up to $150,000 receiving $2,400 -- and an additional $500 per each child. The payment would scale down by income, phasing out entirely at $99,000 for singles and $198,000 for couples without children.

While the final bill text hasn't been released, some of the areas have been debated behind closed doors for days. There was intense partisan debate over the $500 billion proposal to provide loans to distressed companies, with $50 billion in loans for passenger air carriers.
Still can’t believe the 75k kicker. Imagine how many people are in California that made that income that don’t have work now. I believe I read that’s the median income there. It’s incredible they are going forward with that. 

Well, the absolutely insane “open for business at Easter” narrative still seems to have some legs.  Unbelievable.  
It is smart to begin preparing as if this will be the case. Based on how I expect the data trend lines to go over the next couple weeks this timeline will likely get pushed back. But if an optimistic trajectory develops then those that proactively prepared to re-open will benefit over those who were reactive. 

Still can’t believe the 75k kicker. Imagine how many people are in California that made that income that don’t have work now. I believe I read that’s the median income there. It’s incredible they are going forward with that. 
Hopefully its the kind of thing that you get but have to pay back if you are over. 

Where might one find this recipe?
There is a bread thread on here somewhere. It is super easy. I honestly cant give it to you since i modified it eventually to fit a bigger dutch oven. I start with four heaping scoops of flour and i just know what the dough ball is supposed to look like and add water until it is there.

Thats how many times i have made it. 

Eta: found it

I think there is a provision to pay full wages for 4 months.  At least they should get that.

I would think any "high rent" areas of the US would make 75K just to pay rent.  

It is so completely unnecessary too. I'm not saying anyone over $75K doesn't need it. I'm saying if they cash the check and then make more than $75K in 2020, make it so they have to pay it back in their 2020 tax return. 

Users who are viewing this thread