Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

4 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Can we talk about govt. response in the PSF?  People have varying views on it and would rather avoid this thread get swamped with it when there is a whole thread in PSF dedicated to that stuff.  

That, or just stop being billy goats walking across the bridge...

14 minutes ago, DrJ said:

He declared a national emergency, is trying to help those that get impacted by the fallout (brink of economic collapse) of the decisions being made at local levels, is working towards getting more resources, pushing hard to try and find a treatment/cure.      What other sorts of solutions are there beyond the whole "shut down the world for 3 months" solution?

And the administration was already behind the 8 ball because of things like the Federal stockpile of N95 masks were depleted in 2009 for H1N1 and never replenished

(per Bloomberg / LA Times reports)

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, chet said:

So medical advice is ok but prep advice isn't?  Where exactly is the line on what you believe is acceptable and how did you arrive at it? 

If it’s vague and likely to cause unnecessary panic I’d suggest not posting it

”I got a call from my friend in the governors office he said to go gas up your car and get groceries NOW”

vs

”I heard state X is shutting down.  Here’s a list of places still likely to be open based on State Y”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2020 at 12:29 PM, Mr. Pickles said:

we still doing this with our “sources?”

Why wouldn’t  I?  On Friday night I posted that the state of Virginia would be going to a shelter in place circumstance soon.  The Governor comes out midday Monday with the order.  You’re welcome for the heads up.  

Edited by matttyl
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Sneezes, eye-wiping, saliva, etc. from asymptomatic carriers do still spread the virus. Maybe such carriers are somewhat less dangerous than the obvious "coughing their head off" guy ... but not by a ton IMHO.

There would be more cases of teachers having been infected from kids from school. Or even parents getting it from kids. 

There is almost no evidence of this. 

1 hour ago, Keerock said:

My son is a Physical Therapist and he's still being asked to work.  Boss says PT has been deemed an essential service.  Pisses me off.  He sees dozens of potentially infected patients a day and then brings it home :angry:

PT is essential in many cases. People who need it or they will lose strength and or range of motion is important. My dad's home PT shows up. At the door he sanitises, masks up, gloves on. He is a healthcare worker who's helping people not become disabled, more disabled or bedridden. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doug B said:

There's no mystery to recoveries -- cessation of symptoms and a few consecutive days without fever. Future antibodies testing (sampling) will be useful, though.

Agree - Not saying there is a mystery, just that someone was cautioning about the low official “recovery” count vis a vis deaths, and that it will probably be understated for awhile due to possible lack of follow up testing

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

They are way too close to each other but at least they are food shopping for produce which is a lot different than going to the beach IMO.

Edited by Godsbrother

Just now, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Agree - Not saying there is a mystery, just that someone was cautioning about the low official “recovery” count vis a vis deaths, and that it will probably be understated for awhile due to possible lack of follow up testing

Think they are saying you need two negatives tests to be recovered and clear you can't spread.  Imagine that is awhile even after being symptom free.  Also, not sure they really know if you can still spread once you become symptom free so being very cautious on this stuff.  

1 minute ago, Nipsey said:

Good gosh people. What will it take? We could be ahead of the curve by now,  but every day this nonsense happens we fall farther behind, extending the time it will take to bend the curve and increasing the hospitalizations/deaths.  

(I chuckled at the banner/logo, please forgive me)

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, DrJ said:
39 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Sneezes, eye-wiping, saliva, etc. from asymptomatic carriers do still spread the virus. Maybe such carriers are somewhat less dangerous than the obvious "coughing their head off" guy ... but not by a ton IMHO.

But symptomatic people are also going to be more likely to avoid people, seek medical treatment, etc.   

This is a non-sequitir -- are you trying to say that neither asymptomatic carriers nor symptomatic carriers are particularly dangerous?

EDIT: Plus, symptomatic carriers run the gamut of behaviors -- there's likely no general tendency among them at all until the symptoms reach the hospitalization stage. Before that, you've got plenty of COVID carriers convinced "it's just allergies/a cold!", many trying to tough out pretty bad discomfort rather than rest at home. And so on.

Edited by Doug B
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Except the administration is thinking of loosening the stay at home in a week. CA is min to April 7. So if they do this, will people adhere to local rules or the fed? 

If marijuana laws are any indication, people will default to the local rules, right?

13 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

That, or just stop being billy goats walking across the bridge...

:mellow:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Just listen to what Fauci and the other experts have to say during the daily briefings. It’s generally very good information.

:goodposting:

The briefings are basically Trump reading prepared text, then giving some unscripted rah-rah and blah-blah, then he turns it over to the experts.  The press Q&A is borderline unlistenable unless the experts are weighing in, since the reporters don't feel the need to ask them "gotcha" type questions.

Trump's gonna Trump, so I just tune him out for the most part.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Statorama said:

The briefings are basically Trump reading prepared text, then giving some unscripted rah-rah and blah-blah, then he turns it over to the experts.  The press Q&A is borderline unlistenable unless the experts are weighing in, since the reporters don't feel the need to ask them "gotcha" type questions.

Trump's gonna Trump, so I just tune him out for the most part.

Yes, other than the Trump portions it's usually very good info. Just let Pence run the show so Trump can go back to his Twitter feed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Doug B said:

This is a non-sequitir -- are you trying to say that neither asymptomatic carriers nor symptomatic carriers are particularly dangerous?

EDIT: Plus, symptomatic carriers run the gamut of behaviors -- there's likely no general tendency among them at all until the symptoms reach the hospitalization stage. Before that, you've got plenty of COVID carriers convinced "it's just allergies/a cold!", many trying to tough out pretty bad discomfort rather than rest at home. And so on.

Well overall I don't think either are all that dangerous and I'm not worried about getting infected.    But if I were to get infected, I suspect it would be far more likely from someone that wasn't showing any symptoms.    One reason being because they are less likely to seek medical attention.     They are less likely to avoid people.         Just because all people with symptoms don't behave universally doesn't mean it's not a significantly lower percentage.

18 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Why would I?  On Friday night I posted that the state of Virginia would be going to a shelter in place circumstance soon.  The Governor comes out midday Monday with the order.  You’re welcome for the heads up.  

“Buy what you need tonight.”

“Lockdown imminent”

17 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

There would be more cases of teachers having been infected from kids from school. Or even parents getting it from kids. 

There is almost no evidence of this. 

Fine. Consider young adult carriers with lesser, allergy-type symptoms. Or 30-somethings in the same symptom boat.

I actually think way down the line, it'll bear out in retrospect that kids could and did spread it to adults. But I can't prove that now, so I'll cede the small point in favor of the overall point.

13 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

If marijuana laws are any indication, people will default to the local rules, right?

No, they'll default to whichever rules they like the most.   

Heard from work I was exposed to someone who was exposed to someone who tested positive, so now I am fully under quarantine, even though it is sort of 3rd degree exposure, so far the second person has not had symptoms or been tested. Hope I don't die!

• Love 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Pickles said:

“Buy what you need tonight.”

“Lockdown imminent”

Well, I didn’t say either of those things, but whatever.  (I did initially use the term lockdown, immediately changed it to “shelter in place”).  If you were able to get things from impacted stores over the weekend before this affects them, good on you.  

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

A few folks here are shooting these down for some reason.

I think because it can start basically with any symptom. Yesterday a rn thought for a few days it's a cold with her sneezes and other cold symptoms. Then a couple days later, body aches. Then it went on from there to testing positive for cv-19. She is being retested today so she can go back to work. One thing I like about CNN is they have a lot of how someone got cv-19, what was the timeline of symptoms, what their journey has been.

Hopefully there doesn't need to a fbg I have cv-19 thread, but if you want to hear about experiences, CNN is the place for patients self reporting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koya said:

Question, understanding that this is sensitive and hits home... isn't PT essential for many? Those recovering from injury, or dealing with potentially life altering outcomes and lack of movement, strength, quality of life?

Not trying to be harsh or cold, but is that not part of the risk one takes when they decide to become a medical professional of some sort? Hope you don't mind me asking, I recognize it is a very difficult situation for him, and for you.

My wife is a PT and considered essential.  She provides therapy to seniors who have had serious medical conditions, ie if the therapy wasn't being provided they would regress medically.

... but listening to some folks in here, its only old people right???

• Like 2

I spent the weekend converting my dining room into a command center for my wife to do her job with multiple computers and laptops set up. The healthcare community is treating this like an all out war. They have thousands of people on this. Tens of thousands of people on this trying to work together to fight an invisible enemy. Unlike other wars, a lot of the people on the front line, support system, and supply chain are women. (That's not meant as anything other than an observation).

I always had respect for what my wife does, but after watching her deal with things I don't know how she does it. Between phone calls, IM's, texts, electronic faxes, and emails she was averaging 3-4 contacts a minute, sometimes more. That's like 200+ contacts in an hour. And with workers being shifted around and some of them working around the clock, she actually has to explain to replacements at hospitals how to do their job. I couldn't handle that part.

I mentioned that earlier she was looking for a place to take on a baby that needed surgery. She was basically told to offload her search to someone else, as it would take up way too much of her time. So no follow up available on that. She is still in relocate-all-patients mode and there are patients coming and going everywhere. Behind the scenes, all this requires a ton of approvals, notifications, paperwork, and compliance. There are patients getting moved (transported) to new locales and sometimes even the medical people aren't sure where they are at any given moment. For now they are moving a lot of chess pieces around (and some of these people are very sick or post-surgery).

There was a mini wave off COVID cases the other day, but that was mostly a ton of people flooding the hospitals after they heard tests had become available. So far it hasn't gotten cray cray just yet, but we are set up as overflow for Boston (in addition to our own local people). They are going to have to change up on having tents and testing outdoors with 6 inches of snow coming in overnight.

They are trying to stay way ahead of things. They have plans now to clear out some wings of nursing homes to deal with the possible virus tsunami expected over the next two weeks. I cringed when I heard they would intentionally send COVID patients to nursing homes (but that would be out of sheer desperation). They would much rather have 1,000 extra beds at the ready and not need them then have 1,000 patients trapped in hospitals with no place to put them.

On the PPE front, all the local hospitals are pooling whatever resources they have left and doling things out as best they can from a centralized warehouse. As already mentioned previously, they have a bunch of volunteers sewing masks at home for the direct patient care providers. They put out a call to arms to residents to see if anyone had any protective gear. They actually found a church that had a couple of boxes of N95 masks. The TP supply crisis has officially gone off the rails. The police notified everyone to please donate some of their hoarded supply of TP because medical places were out of it. Not sure I could deal with wearing a flannel shirt as a mask and then having to got to the bathroom and not have a single sheet of TP to work with.

And we had our first situation where we know someone whose mother died from the virus. Hopefully the majority of folks won't have to fight the good fight, wherever you are.

• Love 4
  • Sad 5

17 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

There are people who follow only what Trump says, as the nation's leader, which is lighter than some local cities like SF. Many are looking to get back to normal asap. This will cause more "it's not really a big deal" to increase, along with reckless behaviour. 

10 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

Good Lord. 

You should watch to leadership he provides on the daily briefings.

4 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

rumors around the office of a potential furlough

I am hoping we won’t go that route but have a feeling merit increase and bonus gonna be impacted 

7 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

What kind of work

1 hour ago, shader said:

Italy reports 4,789 new cases and 601 new deaths.

Second straight day where the new cases have fallen.  We have to keep this in perspective, as 5k new cases is 5k new cases.  Every day there are that many new cases is another day the quarantine must continue.

But it's still good news.  

Agree it's good news but do they have the number of tests being conducted to go along with it?  I would think that number would be important too.

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

Good question.  I would assume other restaurant workers are wearing them.  What about workers at Costco and grocery stores.  

Heck, maybe everyone should be wearing them right now.  

If only hospitals weren't short on gloves.

If anyone is interested, hearing rumors of the health insurance industry granting extended grace period for premium payments.  Some carriers have already extended the typical 30/31 day grace period to 60/62 days, but there may be a federal override for even longer.  Honestly, if this gets bad, and without federal money, carriers might not be able to allow folks to float premiums for longer than that.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone posted the Chinese head of the Red Cross, speaking to italy?   She was pretty blunt  

Hippling

Edited by DA RAIDERS

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

In the case I'm familiar with ... a patient will do twice as much, or more, for a PT than for a family member, esp a spouse. It's really hard for a lot of people to apply "tough love" to a spouse that's undergone a major health emergency. Home PT tends to get "rounded off" for many patients, as many patients will seek to avoid the hard stuff and spouses won't feel comfortable playing drill sergeant. Not all patients are gung-ho motivated to get back to normal ... oftentimes PTs fill in that motivation gap.

2 hours ago, cap'n grunge said:

As long as they wait till Mar 30 to decide.  The death numbers will tell a story by then, hopefully a positive one that is flattened or down trending.

49 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Virginia going into shelter in place / non essential business, whatever it’s called.  Governor talking now.  

@GoBirds @Uruk-Hai

Kids done with school for the year is the big thing for us, sounds like I will be able to continue business as we never have more than 10 patrons in our office. Kids will have no school for  months!?!?!

12 minutes ago, JAA said:

My wife is a PT and considered essential.  She provides therapy to seniors who have had serious medical conditions, ie if the therapy wasn't being provided they would regress medically.

... but listening to some folks in here, its only old people right???

My son sees all age ranges.  That being said... of those people who are canceling, most of them are elderly.

Georgia must be really behind in testing. They "only" have 772 total cases but 25 deaths. By comparison Florida has 1171 reported cases and 14 deaths.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Kids done with school for the year is the big thing for us, sounds like I will be able to continue business as we never have more than 10 patrons in our office. Kids will have no school for  months!?!?!

Are you “essential”?  I haven’t yet seen the states official list.  As a health insurance agent, at a time like this, I’m going to consider myself essential.  

Yes, no school for months.  If you’re a senior in high school, what does that mean?  Will you actually have earned a diploma by the time you start college in the late summer/early fall?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

i work with DHS but were non essential

Oh yikes. Can’t imagine they cut off federal employees in the middle of this. 

Edited by Capella

15 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

I thought for sure my office was going to go in this direction.  I'm basically "project personnel" and it would have made sense for them to suspend non-essential projects during this time.  I braced for either being furloughed or asked to pick up the slack for those that were.

Outside of some network restrictions, it's basically been business as usual.

2 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Not sure how much it matters but fast food workers are wearing gloves around here.  

It’s for their protection, not yours. 

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

How often are they changing them?

Not too often, would be my guess.   In regular times, some the cooks, at my restaurant, wear gloves all night.  A few changes here and there.  when they rip or get burnt(ripped)  one guy’s goal/game is to only wear one set all night.  he usually makes it through on one pair.  They are all wearing them, all the time, now.  however, still not a ton of changing them out.  They think it’s stupid  

Don't know if it was posted yet, but the Olympics is being postponed. People are guessing it'll be pushed back a year, but who knows?

26 minutes ago, huthut said:

Heard from work I was exposed to someone who was exposed to someone who tested positive, so now I am fully under quarantine, even though it is sort of 3rd degree exposure, so far the second person has not had symptoms or been tested. Hope I don't die!

At this point we don't even need to play 6 degrees for all of us to be exposed most likely - I'm guessing 2-3 degrees max for probably 90+% of us.  We think my SIL had it, she has a co-worker with a confirmed case and I was around my SIL days before she started feeling bad.  Honestly, if we could go back in time, it may have been better if we did go the Boris Johnson route - the dude seems like a nutter but if we could have done that we probably could have saved lives and the economic disaster we are heading towards (and some are already there).  I don't know how far back we'd have to go and maybe we'd have to do quarantine musical chairs or something.

Stay-at-home order in Michigan and I've basically told our HR and ELT that everyone in our Michigan office will be WFH.  We are a global company HQed in Dallas so until TX has an order, they don't "get it".  Only on-site staff will be 1 at a time to monitor the data center.