Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

49 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Virginia going into shelter in place / non essential business, whatever it’s called.  Governor talking now.  

@GoBirds @Uruk-Hai

Kids done with school for the year is the big thing for us, sounds like I will be able to continue business as we never have more than 10 patrons in our office. Kids will have no school for  months!?!?!

12 minutes ago, JAA said:

My wife is a PT and considered essential.  She provides therapy to seniors who have had serious medical conditions, ie if the therapy wasn't being provided they would regress medically.

... but listening to some folks in here, its only old people right???

My son sees all age ranges.  That being said... of those people who are canceling, most of them are elderly.

Georgia must be really behind in testing. They "only" have 772 total cases but 25 deaths. By comparison Florida has 1171 reported cases and 14 deaths.

• Like 1

I got word today from my building that my department is the only one in the entire company working remotely. 200+ other employees still going in every day. Even if a shelter in place order is handed down, we will self-classify as an essential business (it's borderline, but there is an argument to be made) and continue to run full operations. No WFH mandate is forthcoming from management. The standing order is "business as usual." 

This is what people are dealing with, I doubt this is unique. There's no way for everyone to stay home when this is the corporate mindset. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Kids done with school for the year is the big thing for us, sounds like I will be able to continue business as we never have more than 10 patrons in our office. Kids will have no school for  months!?!?!

Are you “essential”?  I haven’t yet seen the states official list.  As a health insurance agent, at a time like this, I’m going to consider myself essential.  

Yes, no school for months.  If you’re a senior in high school, what does that mean?  Will you actually have earned a diploma by the time you start college in the late summer/early fall?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

i work with DHS but were non essential

Oh yikes. Can’t imagine they cut off federal employees in the middle of this. 

Edited by Capella

15 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

rumors around the office of a potential furlough

I thought for sure my office was going to go in this direction.  I'm basically "project personnel" and it would have made sense for them to suspend non-essential projects during this time.  I braced for either being furloughed or asked to pick up the slack for those that were.

Outside of some network restrictions, it's basically been business as usual.

2 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Not sure how much it matters but fast food workers are wearing gloves around here.  

It’s for their protection, not yours. 

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

How often are they changing them?

Not too often, would be my guess.   In regular times, some the cooks, at my restaurant, wear gloves all night.  A few changes here and there.  when they rip or get burnt(ripped)  one guy’s goal/game is to only wear one set all night.  he usually makes it through on one pair.  They are all wearing them, all the time, now.  however, still not a ton of changing them out.  They think it’s stupid  

Don't know if it was posted yet, but the Olympics is being postponed. People are guessing it'll be pushed back a year, but who knows?

26 minutes ago, huthut said:

Heard from work I was exposed to someone who was exposed to someone who tested positive, so now I am fully under quarantine, even though it is sort of 3rd degree exposure, so far the second person has not had symptoms or been tested. Hope I don't die!

At this point we don't even need to play 6 degrees for all of us to be exposed most likely - I'm guessing 2-3 degrees max for probably 90+% of us.  We think my SIL had it, she has a co-worker with a confirmed case and I was around my SIL days before she started feeling bad.  Honestly, if we could go back in time, it may have been better if we did go the Boris Johnson route - the dude seems like a nutter but if we could have done that we probably could have saved lives and the economic disaster we are heading towards (and some are already there).  I don't know how far back we'd have to go and maybe we'd have to do quarantine musical chairs or something.

Stay-at-home order in Michigan and I've basically told our HR and ELT that everyone in our Michigan office will be WFH.  We are a global company HQed in Dallas so until TX has an order, they don't "get it".  Only on-site staff will be 1 at a time to monitor the data center.

15 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Agree it's good news but do they have the number of tests being conducted to go along with it?  I would think that number would be important too.

Deaths per day seems to have peaked. While there could be some deaths outside of the testing, deaths is a data that is less likely to be skewed than total cases. I'm convinced Italy is over the hump. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Are you “essential”?  I haven’t yet seen the states official list.  As a health insurance agent, at a time like this, I’m going to consider myself essential.  

Yes, no school for months.  If you’re a senior in high school, what does that mean?  Will you actually have earned a diploma by the time you start college in the late summer/early fall?

To my business I am. 😁

I took it that if you are able to operate under the social distancing requirements and aren’t a gym/restaurant/bar etc with less than 10 total patrons you can stay open? I was only listening to the stream though I need to read through this. Someone specified as well that the 10 total doesn’t include staff. 

• Like 1

Oregon governor issued strictest yet stay at home order as far as I can tell.  Even offices are supposed to shut unless they can ensure social distancing.

Stay At Home

5 hours ago, Smack Tripper said:

why the F would you call an EMT if you didn't want to go to the hospital?

Because it’s free. Healthcare in this country is really really bad. Unless you have a ton of money. Then, it’s awesome. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, matttyl said:

I’m sure it varys by state and has changed over time but I recall when I graduated you needed 21/24 possible credits or something like that, so that last semester was technically meaningless for a lot of kids

had one friend who literally did not go to class last semester and graduated

As I have said previously I'm a government IT contractor for the Navy.

A few months ago they moved me down the road but I was prebiously on the second floor of a repair  hangar. Offices up top, technicians working on jets on ground floor.

i was told today that they had to shut that ground floor area down Friday. Somebody started showing symptoms and they closed it down for cleaning.  Back open today.

Best part that since it was a younger guy with somewhat mild symptoms, they didn't test him. They just sent him home to quarantine. 

2 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

yeah its alarming

Just office rumors? Government needs people earning right now, not making less. They’re already freaked out about the job force. I wouldn’t sweat it yet imo  

10 minutes ago, Kal El said:

Don't know if it was posted yet, but the Olympics is being postponed. People are guessing it'll be pushed back a year, but who knows?

The Olympics are a little different than even professional sports. The athletes need to train almost around the clock. Then there are practices and games, at a minimum trials and qualifiers, and that all happens with a ton of build up to the actual Olympics. Basically, you can't take elite athletes and tell them next week they are going to the Olympics. Most countries haven't even determined who qualified to make their team. I would guess they would need at least a 6 month ramp up and maybe even more time than that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shader said:

Italy reports 4,789 new cases and 601 new deaths.

Second straight day where the new cases have fallen.  We have to keep this in perspective, as 5k new cases is 5k new cases.  Every day there are that many new cases is another day the quarantine must continue.

But it's still good news.  

I dont focuse on new cases as we dont know how much testing they are/are-not doing.  I focus on deaths as thats a true trailing indicator of how its progressing.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Georgia must be really behind in testing. They "only" have 772 total cases but 25 deaths. By comparison Florida has 1171 reported cases and 14 deaths.

I've tried to limit my news watching and reading of this thread (too stressful) but I'm unaware of us having any stay at home restrictions.  Having said that, most of the people in my area seem to be taking mostly serious from what I can tell.  No clue how well we are doing on testing though.

Just now, Anarchy99 said:

The Olympics are a little different than even professional sports. The athletes need to train almost around the clock. Then there are practices and games, at a minimum trials and qualifiers, and that all happens with a ton of build up to the actual Olympics. Basically, you can't take elite athletes and tell them next week they are going to the Olympics. Most countries haven't even determined who qualified to make their team. I would guess they would need at least a 6 month ramp up and maybe even more time than that.

The first time I heard they were considering banning the Olympics, I thought it was fine to talk about, but like football, way too early to make that call. I completely forgot about qualifying. Good call by the IOC for sure.

Posted (edited)

One thing I was going to ask was back when this started in China, they had guys in hazmat suits with tanker trucks of disinfectant going around spraying and hosing down pretty much anything they could get to. Have we been doing that at all in the US? I have not heard of much in the way of major decontamination efforts and crews going out and cleansing places from ceiling to floor.

Edited by Anarchy99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Capella said:

Just office rumors? Government needs people earning right now, not making less. They’re already freaked out about the job force. I wouldn’t sweat it yet imo  

came from the director so a decent source

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, JAA said:

I dont focuse on new cases as we dont know how much testing they are/are-not doing.  I focus on deaths as thats a true trailing indicator of how its progressing.

Yes, total cases are often a case of total tests. Deaths per population is the more important stat.

16 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

Deaths per day seems to have peaked. While there could be some deaths outside of the testing, deaths is a data that is less likely to be skewed than total cases. I'm convinced Italy is over the hump. 

My concern would be how many are dying at home.and not being counted yet. 😐

18 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

Want to see 2 more days of Italy data to be sure, but generally agree with your premise and was good to see.

The downside is the U.S. isn't doing what Italy did in terms of mitigation yet.

18 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

To my business I am. 😁

I took it that if you are able to operate under the social distancing requirements and aren’t a gym/restaurant/bar etc with less than 10 total patrons you can stay open? I was only listening to the stream though I need to read through this. Someone specified as well that the 10 total doesn’t include staff. 

That last bit was specifically for essential business 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Capella said:

i also just received an email from a Deputy Commander saying that the "Defense Industrial Base" has been deemed a critical business sector by Homeland Security (well, duh?)

But the reason i mention it is because i found  a link the 14 critical business structures as identied by Homeland Security.

1 minute ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Yes, total cases are often a case of total tests. Deaths per population is the more important stat.

Nobody dies of coronavirus.  They die of complications. I’m wondering if the dead get tested.  I’m guessing they don’t.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

My concern would be how many are dying at home.and not being counted yet. 😐

Those numbers would likely mirror the known cases. It would be odd for known deaths to be declining while unknown deaths increase, especially given coroner services aren't stopped there. 

1 hour ago, Smack Tripper said:

Call your doctor.  An EMT is not in a position to diagnose nor are they your therapist.  

EMTs can certainly tell you if you should go or stay home. How long does it take to get an answer from your pcp during this time vs EMT who can assist in keeping those who are ok home v need to go now, you're in trouble, come with us now. Jmo. I wouldn't call EMT unless I'm in bad shape and my pcp office is too backlogged to get back to me, and I feel time is of the essence. 

1 minute ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Want to see 2 more days of Italy data to be sure, but generally agree with your premise and was good to see.

The downside is the U.S. isn't doing what Italy did in terms of mitigation yet.

Yep, we (or specifically New York) are going to experience it much differently. And not in a good way. 

3 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

i also just received an email from a Deputy Commander saying that the "Defense Industrial Base" has been deemed a critical business sector by Homeland Security (well, duh?)

But the reason i mention it is because i found  a link the 14 critical business structures as identied by Homeland Security.

Man I haven’t heard any furlough talk at all. That would be shocking to me. 

6 minutes ago, matttyl said:

That last bit was specifically for essential business 

Do you know where to find the official link by chance to understand essential/non essential so we know if we can continue to work if you know you can follow all social distancing requirements?

Posted (edited)

Has anyone here tested positive yet? I post at another forum where there are 2 cases, and I'd guess a likely 3rd. 1 had a positive test come back yesterday: he's a NY doctor with no bad symptoms. 1 tested positive a while back and is recovered (wife also). Put them in the "we had it and never knew it" category. Another is an admitted meathead who was a flu-bro guy, at the gym all last week and now has all of the symptoms. Getting tested now.

Edit: flu-bro guy says they are not testing anyone in his city under 65 or if they're in bad enough shape to be admitted. Ugh.

Edited by jplvr
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

One thing I was going to ask was back when this started in China, they had guys in hazmat suits with tanker trucks of disinfectant going around spraying and hosing down pretty much anything they could get to. Have we been doing that at all in the US? I have heard of much in the way of major decontamination efforts and crews going out and cleansing places from ceiling to floor.

I'd like to know if that accomplished anything. Those videos are insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:

*Sigh*

He consistently speaks and then the experts have to come in and correct him. Fauci was recently asked about this and you can tell he is frustrated. I don't know what you are watching.

Both of you please drop the politics in this. We have an entire forum where people ruin threads arguing politics. Take it there please. 

• Thanks 5

My stepsister tested positive yesterday.  She also happens to be a couple of months pregnant, so obviously far from ideal.  Her symptoms are mild but its still scary.

She's a nurse at a very large hospital in Manhattan. Her husband (a research physician at the same hospital) thankfully is clean at this point.  They basically started avoiding each other once she started coughing/feeling bad and thankfully it appears to have worked so far.

So yeah, prayers up (if that's your thing) for our healthcare workers.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Sad 9

18 minutes ago, JAA said:

Interestingly, on the spreadsheet @icon linked, a similar thing can be done.  As an example, the USA currently has 504 deaths, which is a bit ahead of schedule from what that sheet shows.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ZSuR2yc-8JpMAuuhXR7Qw3xQfjTDdcEM1Q5WvKoz3cw/htmlview#gid=0

According to that sheet, we are now at 1.7 million infected people.

Now there are some variables I'd like to change on the linked spreadsheet (I think a doubling time of 3.5 days is too small, especially for the way things are right now), and I was wrong, apparently we can't change the variables.  But it does a good job of showing that when you hit a point where you have this many deaths, you have a lot of cases out there that aren't accounted for.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Because [EMTs are] free. Healthcare in this country is really really bad. Unless you have a ton of money. Then, it’s awesome. 

Not around here -- you will get a bill, either directly from an ambulance company or similar (many are private) or it'll be rolled into your billing from the hospital. Insurance coverage is iffy, no one covering rule about coverage can be inferred.

2 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Not around here -- you will get a bill, either directly from an ambulance company or similar (many are private) or it'll be rolled into your billing from the hospital. Insurance coverage is iffy, no one covering rule about coverage can be inferred.

really?  911 is free here.  the second you get in the ambulance, boom!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jonessed said:

Nobody dies of coronavirus.  They die of complications. I’m wondering if the dead get tested.  I’m guessing they don’t.

Some deceased have been tested, though I doubt it's a general rule to do so anywhere. There were for sure some posthumous COVID diagnoses in the Seattle area a few weeks ago ... it was how they determined COVID had been in Seattle since roughly mid-January.

Cases per 1 million of  population:

Italy - 1057
Switzerland - 988
Spain - 708
Austria - 478
Norway - 470
Germany -347
Belgium - 323
France -  304

Westchester County, NY - 2987
Nassau County, NY - 1800
New York City, NY - 1544
Suffolk County, NY - 980

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

They are probably over the hump.  The question now turns into an economic one.  Now that they've halted (for the moment) absolute disaster in terms of this spreading throughout the country...how long does it take them to get back to business as usual?  2 weeks?  4? Two months?  When will they open their borders?  When will the economic impacts begin to outweigh the impacts that the virus directly had. 

I've long been convinced that this virus will never kill as many people as the flu does, despite the fact that it's 20-50 times more dangerous than the flu.  Countries (except for arguably the United States) are taking it extremely seriously, as they should.  But for me this will soon move to a question of what this does to the world in general, from an economic perspective.  I'm not talking about an "omg my 401k is going down" perspective, but a "I lost my job and I can't provide for my family and we are now broke and homeless" perspective.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, jplvr said:

Has anyone here tested positive yet? I post at another forum where there are 2 cases, and I'd guess a likely 3rd. 1 had a positive test come back yesterday: he's a NY doctor with no bad symptoms. 1 tested positive a while back and is recovered (wife also). Put them in the "we had it and never knew it" category. Another is an admitted meathead who was a flu-bro guy, at the gym all last week and now has all of the symptoms. Getting tested now.

Edit: flu-bro guy says they are not testing anyone in his city under 65 or if they're in bad enough shape to be admitted. Ugh.

It is absolutely bonkers that testing is still this limited.  We saw this coming back in January.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1