Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Just now, [icon] said:

I feel like we can manage an extra  Corporate tax form that requires evidence of keeping jobs active. I don't think anyone is suggesting honor system here.

If we feel like our government isn't capable of adding a layer of processing to employment/tax data they're already collecting....  I don't know what to tell ya 

Hmm..given that our own Senators are engaging in profit taking and the fact that our corporate history is that in every instance corporations take profits over workers...I'm gonna say just give the checks to the workers.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:
23 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

If Public Health called tomorrow and told you that you had tested positive for COVID-19 and asked you to list all the places you had been and all the people you had been in contact with for the last 10 days - would you be proud of yourself, or embarrassed by your actions? 

Just something to think about. No need to answer.

This is an excellent post.  

It is.  I'm also embarrassed to ask you @gianmarco but have you happened to see a Rod Carew autographed Angel's hat around your house?  It's my lucky hat. Perhaps in the master bath?

• Love 1
  • Laughing 2

I need to get in town and buy you a beer or two my brother. @gianmarco If there's one thing I'm already learning it's that I spend too much time at home.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Local medical company is converting 1,000 medical chairs into beds to send to Seattle for the makeshift hospitals.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, -fish- said:

LA traffic down 87%.   That's huge.

Let’s see how that effects pollution.  Silver lining maybe?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, the moops said:

Well...I just got the word. Museum is hemorrhaging money. 50% of our revenue comes from visitors. No visitors - no revenue. 

So I just got furloughed. :kicksrock:

Actually feel OK though. We are fine financially (I hope) and the not knowing was the worst part.

Stay safe and happy friends :cheers:

sorry to hear it brother. I work at a university and am hearing some pretty worrying rumblings about similar stuff here too ☠️

Posted (edited)

XX

Edited by Otis

Just now, matttyl said:

My brother lives in the Irvine hills above Newport Beach.  The photos he's sending are pretty amazing.  Grew up in SoCal and never saw the air so clear.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Question as I've been too busy to follow closely. 

Why on earth is anyone in favor of paying people directly rather than sending aid to companies with the contingency they keep staff employed? Help keep small/mid sized businesses afloat via cash and runway (defer liabilities) with strict earmarks they they keep staff covered. Set aside help for unemployed (extend/enhance unemployment and food stamps). 

If we follow the focus on handing people checks approach, their employers will go under..  and we will have a glut of people dependent on federal aid. how do people not realize this is a terrible idea? 

We need jobs to be intact when this dies down. 

How would you enforce that?  Companies have a long history of not doing what they say they will do.  

It's much better if the recently unemployed has the money in their hand rather than hope the company keeps them on board, imo. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, -fish- said:

And lots in here still saying we need to shut it down...

19 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Needs to be a word in the English language for when you think you’re simultaneously over and under reacting.

The term Munsoned will be replaced by a new one when this is all over.

Just now, Blick said:

We do.

• Like 2

Just now, Blick said:

LA is not the country. Piecemeal doesn't seem like a smart approach.

Posted (edited)

Inslee...issuing "stay home, stay healthy order."

Ban on all gatherings.  No definition of what a gathering is (so far).

Closing all non-essential businesses.

Going outside using social distancing ok.

Edited by -fish-

1 minute ago, cap'n grunge said:

LA is not the country. Piecemeal doesn't seem like a smart approach.

Piecemeal is exactly what we need. Why shut down vast regions of the country that have little risk of exposure. As risk increases, then invoke “Safe at Home” policies. 

• Like 1

2 weeks. 

Non essential trips "not advised"

"Does not mean you can't go outside"

All gatherings cancelled.  Social, spiritual, anything.   

Garcetti just said restaurants in LA now allowed to deliver booze.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, -fish- said:

We do.

I just don’t see how mandatory quarantine of the entire country is even remotely in the realm of possibility. 

To go and delivery services from restaurants still ok

Just now, Blick said:

I just don’t see how mandatory quarantine of the entire country is even remotely in the realm of possibility. 

There's a difference between social distancing and self isolation.   Social distancing should be mandatory.  Unessential businesses should be closed.

15 minutes ago, matttyl said:

On the most recent Freakonomics podcast, they had an economist who estimated China’s temporary efforts to reduce air pollution before their Olympics saved 50,000 lives. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Roads in Phoenix during rush hour were pretty clear. Traffic down significantly.Particularly this time of year with snowbirds.  Hiking trail lots were packed. And A LOT more people just out on walks in general (gonna guess probably the ones avoiding the more crowded trails)

Don't think it'll matter whether they close the trails or not here. People will still go. I'm going everyday but have a trailhead in backyard and rarely if ever come across people along the back trails I go on. 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 4

Just now, -fish- said:

There's a difference between social distancing and self isolation.   Social distancing should be mandatory.  Unessential businesses should be closed.

I thought that was what we were doing.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JAA said:

Your not thinking about the incubation period. Also, what if the infection rate is not as high as we believe?

We don’t have the data. We will only have it in like 6 months

I am thinking about the incubation period.  You cannot simultaneously believe "I had symptoms of coronavirus in February" and "Nobody showed up in hospitals until now" unless you think you're a unicorn.  

Just now, Blick said:

I thought that was what we were doing.  

That's what we're supposed to be doing, but there were a lot of unessential businesses making people go to work.   

There are also idiots not observing social distancing and even encouraging it.

• Like 1

I wonder if they’ve been rolling these out in increasingly stricter stages because they knew people would freak the #### out if they pulled it all at once. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I am thinking about the incubation period.  You cannot simultaneously believe "I had symptoms of coronavirus in February" and "Nobody showed up in hospitals until now" unless you think you're a unicorn.  

New report that many people that had it had digestive symptoms only, so doctors didn't know what to look for. There just wasn't any testing.  To say people that thought they had it in February didn't, with any measure of certainty, is just wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

Ritonavir/lopinavir already had a decent trial completed. Didn't work.

Any word on the Remdesivir trials?

3 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

A friend told me those are rare but cherished at Hedonism.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, -fish- said:

New report that many people that had it had digestive symptoms only, so doctors didn't know what to look for. There just wasn't any testing.  To say people that thought they had it in February didn't, with any measure of certainty, is just wrong.

If these people had active symptoms, 20% of them would have been in hospitals in that general timeframe.  Stop it with this.  It is not helpful.

3 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

I wonder if they’ve been rolling these out in increasingly stricter stages because they knew people would freak the #### out if they pulled it all at once. 

Absolutely

• Like 3

1 minute ago, -fish- said:

That's what we're supposed to be doing, but there were a lot of unessential businesses making people go to work.   

There are also idiots not observing social distancing and even encouraging it.

Again, I don’t see how, in this country, you can regulate idiocy.

Just based on my observations in my community, social distancing is being followed by most. If it’s not working at current levels, then we’re all doomed. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, facook said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/opinion/coronavirus-economy.html  Posting this again.  2 weeks of stay at home is doable, maybe.  At some point we have to go back to work and not just settle into the Great Depression 2.0 and trust Big Brother to pay us out of this mess (cause this time, he can't).  

From the column:

"I am not a medical expert. I’m just a reporter — who is afraid for his own loved ones, for his neighbors and for people everywhere as much as anyone. I share these ideas not because I know they are the magic cure, or have every variable thought through (and I welcome readers to express their doubts in the comments section). I share them because I am certain that we need to broaden the debate — I am certain that we need less herd mentality and more herd immunity — as we come to terms with our hellish choice:

Either we let many of us get the coronavirus, recover and get back to work — while doing our utmost to protect those most vulnerable to being killed by it. Or, we shut down for months to try to save everyone everywhere from this virus — no matter their risk profile — and kill many people by other means, kill our economy and maybe kill our future."

Less herd mentality, huh?

1 hour ago, RUSF18 said:

For anyone listening to or following Trump right now, realize there is a very real chance he's going to get you killed. There's 100% certainty that his words are going to kill some people...I truly hope none of you fall in this group out of sheer luck. 

eta: I'd happily sign up for 4 more years of Trump if he would switch course immediately, warn people how serious it is, lock #### down, and get our healthcare professionals everything they need. Not even a question. 

He'll take credit for it once everywhere has what they need. For me, too late. I'll never foget his poo pooing of the severity and Fauci having to try and reverse what stupid thing he has said. Stupid won't end when this crisis is over. I want a real leader next 4 year round. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s probably a sign of obsession but I wish Worldometer would update the Italy graphs and barcharts already. They had some promising data today and I’d like to see the trends visually. They did a text update but not the charts. Sure I could hand calculate it. I probably need to go on Xanax lol.

17 minutes ago, thecatch said:

On the most recent Freakonomics podcast, they had an economist who estimated China’s temporary efforts to reduce air pollution before their Olympics saved 50,000 lives. 

Listened to it while mowing my lawn this past weekend.  Very interesting stuff.

Part of Inslee’s talk mentioned that our school district will have teachers provide daycare for first responders.  

Are other states doing this?  (This is in WA)

It’s both heroic and scary for me personally.  My wife has a weakened immune system and I’m having her get documentation to the district so she can do something “lower” risk to help.  She has mixed feelings but I think I have her convinced now. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Interesting shift from the WH today with their press briefing.  Instead of midday...the move to early evening gave it a different feel.  Also, while I know Fauci missed a couple of these last week, his absence  felt a bit more ominous today what with Trump’s pivoting back to the economy.  I’ll be paying attention to how often he’s at these moving forward, but I’m getting the sense that Trump is going all in on this hydroxychloroquine treatment to fix all which Fauci is certainly not as bullish.  If Fauci is off-message from Trump’s POV, that could make him obsolete...the need to educate the US citizenry about COVID-19 is likely quite a bit less than previously to Trump when the news cycle took off with this 2 weeks ago.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, -fish- said:

traffic in the awesome canyon by my house, up 200%  :hot:   selfish of me, but that's MY canyon!  :lmao:  drinking now.  all is well.  Elysian. it's a beer made up by you.  i'm sure you know that  :pickle:

Edited by DA RAIDERS

Now felony citations are on the table for businesses not complying under the unfair business  practices. Police are monitoring and now we have an 800 number to call as well.

SF Mayor

Playgounds are now closed. Threatens parks and other open spaces where people are congregating will shut down if people don't comply with social distancing.

Hayward CA

Drive through testing for everyone with a temp over 100 degrees minimum.