Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

8 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Right, so the companies that came forward on their own and already have this underway look like much better hope than anything that would be mandated by the DPA.

I'm no expert on this, but doesn't it mandate production for the federal government at a set price?  If not under the DPA, the companies can make these products and sell to the highest bidder, no, pitting the states and even private hoarders against one another?

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This article includes the Florida man I linked earlier who recovered after reaching a critical state as well as others who recovered after being given hydroxychloroquine. It also talks about it's use in other countries as well as the active studies...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8143953/People-say-anti-malaria-drug-helped-recover-COVID-19.html

Daily Mail? :mellow:  Don't cite them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sent the story about my mom's check on a maintenance request form with his fb photo, link to the local crime page on him, and pic of my mom's check. Only way to get the info to them without going there, if they are even there. If I don't get some sort of response today I'll go to the po tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Holy guacamole. They are converting one of our local high schools to an emergency hospital. That takes kids going back to school this school year completely off the board. 

1 minute ago, Chemical X said:

I'm no expert on this, but doesn't it mandate production for the federal government at a set price?  If not under the DPA, the companies can make these products and sell to the highest bidder, no, pitting the states and even private hoarders against one another?

No reports that the companies who stepped forward and already have this underway are price gauging. When Cuomo talked about this he said they're charging what is reasonable to charge given that their production costs are higher than if these items were what they already produced. It's fair to be cynical but remember these companies came forward and volunteered so it's reasonable to conclude they have fair intentions.

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

My coworker tested negative :pickle:

You seem overly invested in her home pregnancy test

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This article includes the Florida man I linked earlier who recovered after reaching a critical state as well as others who recovered after being given hydroxychloroquine. It also talks about it's use in other countries as well as the active studies...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8143953/People-say-anti-malaria-drug-helped-recover-COVID-19.html

We get it, you're positive about this drug.  But you have to understand that 95%-99% of people that get the coronavirus get better and recover anyway.   Also the study that so many linked and posted as having a 100% success rate was fatally flawed.  And I mean that literally as there was actually someone that died and was removed from the study.

3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Do you think the article is a lie?

28 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I just cancelled a trip to NYC for the wife and I on April 17-23 for her borthday.   We were flying into LaGuardia, staying at the Marriot in Times Square, going to a couple Broadway shows, hit the tourists sites,  go shopping and obviously eat at NYC restaurants.   

If NYC reopens tomorrow the odds of us rescheduling are zero even though the Broadway tickets are not refundable if they don't cancel so I would be eating well over $2,000.    The point is that things are not going back to normal for a while no matter what the president or governor say about getting back to work.

You will eventually get your ticket money back.  The industry is just locked up financially right now so box offices are intentionally acting like some events are still possible to occur or simply postpone even though we know they aren't.  For instance, our Braves inventory they still are showing opening day of April 3 as a valid ticket.

31 minutes ago, tamales said:

I think we will. Call me delusional, hopeful, optimistic, whatever and I know there is little room for optimism in this thread as anyone who expresses any gets attacked but as a nation we have overcome so much diversity in our history. I think it's in our DNA. We are the best nation in the world for a reason and we always find a way. 

Don't worry you are correct,, this great nation will continue to overcome diversity.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

As I said, we can hope. It's worked on a lot of people. No reason to "poo poo" it. The next step would be building the numbers and date to the point its use becomes official protocol as it has in China and South Korea. No one is saying "we've found the cure, carry on with normal everyday life people!" Short of anyone saying that, nothing negligent is going on.

It's use was official protocol in China?  Please link.

7 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

You are correct on optimists getting attacked. It's as if they prefer to think the worst. I didnt realize there were so many scientists, doctors, chemists, etc that posted in these forums who apparently know everything. 

Math is math. It doesn't allow for emotion or desire.

5 minutes ago, msommer said:

YMMV. My dad of 88 can figure it out just fine

My dad of 81 has primary lateral sclerosis which since he's exhausted just trying to go a few feet to the bathroom, his mind is exhausted too and it's affecting his memory. I think that should be enough for me not to tell my dad how easy it is. Quit comparing elderly people. Not all are in great shape like your dad. We're trying to make things as easy as possible on him to help conserve all his energy. I'm going to find a shared coop and my bro is going to do direct deposits from now on.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

Let me know how that goes.......I can't gamble $4k plus and our health.

I feel pretty confident that by then she and I will both have been exposed to the virus and developed immunity.  :shrug: 

• Thinking 1

Just now, shader said:

We get it, you're positive about this drug.  But you have to understand that 95%-99% of people that get the coronavirus get better and recover anyway.   Also the study that so many linked and posted as having a 100% success rate was fatally flawed.  And I mean that literally as there was actually someone that died and was removed from the study.

You're right, we should just continue posting doom and gloom opinions which are absent links btw. I don't think anyone should be admonished for sharing actual links - whether the news is good or bad.

I'll say it for the umpteenth time. No one is saying "we have a cure, go out and lick a public handrail everyone!" It's a drug that has shown promise elsewhere and is showing early success here. It's hope. Do you have a problem with hope? What if a month from now this is widely touted as a drug that helped bring this pandemic under control? How dumb would it be in that scenario to not share hope early on about this drug on a message board?

I get it, you're pessimistic. I'm optimistic. Deal with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shader said:

I did, last week in this thread. Keep up.

12 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

As I said, we can hope. It's worked on a lot of people. No reason to "poo poo" it. The next step would be building the numbers and date to the point its use becomes official protocol as it has in China and South Korea. No one is saying "we've found the cure, carry on with normal everyday life people!" Short of anyone saying that, nothing negligent is going on.

When did this drug become official protocol. The only study I've read on it was from France with a population of 26 people iirc. 

Please provide links as I would love to read about this.

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

You're right, we should just continue posting doom and gloom opinions which are absent links btw. I don't think anyone should be admonished for sharing actual links - whether the news is good or bad.

I'll say it for the umpteenth time. No one is saying "we have a cure, go out and lick a public handrail everyone!" It's a drug that has shown promise elsewhere and is showing early success here. It's hope. Do you have a problem with hope? What if a month from now this is widely touted as a drug that helped bring this pandemic under control? How dumb would it be in that scenario to not share hope early on about this drug on a message board?

I get it, you're pessimistic. I'm optimistic. Deal with it.

Well, Trump did express undue optimism which led to a man dying.  I actually had to talk an uncle into not going out and illegally obtaining this drug because he's worried.  

If the drug helps, great.  But it's best to leave these things to the doctors, not to random people on message boards.  Neither of us have the expertise to speak to this drug.  

Would you mind linking it again so I don't have to search through 100 pages?  

47 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

This is very upsetting.  Social distancing is very important right now.

Such a hard thing.  People should be willing to forego in-person services (we did ours by live video this Sunday).  This is common sense and it's frustrating to see gatherings like this.  However, I don't think the state or feds have the constitutional authority to abrogate 1st amendment rights and trample religious freedom here.

1 minute ago, fantasycurse42 said:

When did this drug become official protocol. The only study I've read on it was from France with a population of 26 people iirc. 

It hasn't

18 minutes ago, Endowed said:

Why will they not go the hospital?  And is it entirely possible they still wont go in the foreseeable future if even you open up shops?

Multiple reasons why they wouldn't go...

1. They hear reports that hospitals are packed and they won't be seen in a timely manner. 

2. Afraid of going and catching covid19 while at hospital. 

3. Don't have the money for insurance deductible due to financial circumstances related to shutdown.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:
11 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Do you think the article is a lie?

There are other kinds of untruths than lies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This is an extremely difficult thread to keep up with - if you have good information to share then doing so multiple times is not a bad thing. Fine line between spam and all, obviously. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Holy guacamole. They are converting one of our local high schools to an emergency hospital. That takes kids going back to school this school year completely off the board. 

Nashua? 

1 minute ago, fantasycurse42 said:

It's going to take some serious digging but I'll find it. The drug became official protocol for treatment in China and South Korea awhile back. That's what I'm referring to. Hopefully, it can progress to that point here as well.

2 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

3. Don't have the money for insurance deductible due to financial circumstances related to shutdown.

Didnt they say this waived right at the onset? Under oath even.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I just cancelled a trip to NYC for the wife and I on April 17-23 for her borthday.   We were flying into LaGuardia, staying at the Marriot in Times Square, going to a couple Broadway shows, hit the tourists sites,  go shopping and obviously eat at NYC restaurants.   

If NYC reopens tomorrow the odds of us rescheduling are zero even though the Broadway tickets are not refundable if they don't cancel so I would be eating well over $2,000.    The point is that things are not going back to normal for a while no matter what the president or governor say about getting back to work.

I wouldn't worry too much about eating that 2K. No chance Broadway shows are up and running mid-April

Edited by the moops

3 hours ago, JbizzleMan said:

“Legal Insurrection” appears to have an agenda.

and it has three letters... CYA

It's going to take some serious digging but I'll find it. The drug became official protocol for treatment in China and South Korea awhile back. That's what I'm referring to. Hopefully, it can progress to that point here as well.

If the drug became the official protocol for treatment in China and South Korea, it shouldn't require serious digging to find that.

10 minutes ago, shader said:

This is not true. You're right about the countries in which trials were performed, but not about the "official" part.

43 minutes ago, tamales said:

we have overcome so much diversity in our history. I think it's in our DNA. We are the best nation in the world for a reason and we always find a way. 

sigh

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Multiple reasons why they wouldn't go...

1. They hear reports that hospitals are packed and they won't be seen in a timely manner. 

There arent any reports saying this current, correct?

Just now, shader said:

If the drug became the official protocol for treatment in China and South Korea, it shouldn't require serious digging to find that.

I'm not talking about news articles (since those aren't good enough for people here), I'm talking about the peer reviewed studies I linked last week. Settle the eff down.

6 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

This is an extremely difficult thread to keep up with - if you have good information to share then doing so multiple times is not a bad thing. Fine line between spam and all, obviously. 

That's why I'm trying to find the actual medical studies and peer reviewed journal entries I linked last week. It's going to take a minute.

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I'm not talking about news articles (since those aren't good enough for people here), I'm talking about the peer reviewed studies I linked last week. Settle the eff down.

I am interested in reading those if you find them, can you please include me in the reply if you post those links again.

2 minutes ago, the moops said:

I wouldn't worry too much about eating that 2K. No chance Broadway shows are up and running mid-April

Thanks and I agree.  I  was saying that at this point even if the Mayor/Governor/President all gave "back to work" orders tomorrow, there is no way I would go to NYC  before June.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Kids were never going back to school this year. 

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

From Cuomo's presser, the ventilator shortage is the critical bottleneck now. He says NY needs 30,000, FEMA is going to send 400. Not a typo.

Seriously, wtf? This is what the defense act is for, instead the Feds opted for volunteerism. Companies aren't going to say "oh sure I'll volunteer to reconfigure my entire manufacturing process". 

The ventilator shortage is going to lead to more deaths than we can contemplate. This needs to happen.

Roughly 20% of victims need to be hospitalized.  Some smaller % will need ventilator.  30,000?  Walk me through that math, Mr. Cuomo.

19 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Where again?

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I'm confused. You made a statement that this is the official treatment in China and South Korea.  I just want to see a link, as I've not read that anywhere.  You want me to "settle the eff down" for asking for a link?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2

26 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I hope it works but since they were  giving this to people back in China in January I doubt it is some sort of miracle cure.  Of course, that is why the WHO has set up trials on it.  

1 minute ago, shader said:

I'm confused. You made a statement that this is the official treatment in China and South Korea.  I just want to see a link, as I've not read that anywhere.  You want me to "settle the eff down" for asking for a link?

Yes you jerk. I'm trying to find something with the exact study findings, not just an article that mentions them. What I linked last week were the actual studies on shared drives.

3 minutes ago, chet said:

Roughly 20% of victims need to be hospitalized.  Some smaller % will need ventilator.  30,000?  Walk me through that math, Mr. Cuomo.

I don't know the math, but I imagine a decent percentage of ventilators they already have are in use

3 minutes ago, shader said:

Yes you jerk. I'm trying to find something with the exact study findings, not just an article that mentions them. What I linked last week were the actual studies on shared drives.

dudes. stop

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Capella said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/23/opinion/coronavirus-economy-recession.html

NYT shows the states that are social distancing. You’ll never guess where the 5 dumbest states are located. 

That's interesting, because Alabama instituted restrictions on the day the first case was detected here.  Our state leadership has been much quicker than just about any other state as far as locking things down.  Alabama was one of the last to present a case, so you should likely compare our numbers from a week from now to NY today.  Or something similar.

You have the data right, but you're interpreting it a bit wrong here, GB.

Also interesting to note that the increases shown in AL are in very low population counties.  The urban areas have seen a decrease.  Traffic in Bham is definitely down now.

Edited by Sand
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

@MTskibum Here's a start. It's a link which details the findings in Nature. Still looking for more direct links and shared docs but this includes some specific details...

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/17/an-effective-treatment-for-coronavirus-covid-19-has-been-found-in-a-common-anti-malarial-drug/

An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Presented by: James M. Todaro, MD and Gregory J. Rigano, Esq.

In consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, UAB School of Medicine and National Academy of Sciences researchers.

SPANISH: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vR1adodKPhWalV9djnerI2x_v1LGgGyhZZxpl0O5r-ZNyDdagqFq1rTCxXBqaeicfxgvypDOqKCZVyV/pub

Translation by: Celia Martínez-Aceves (Yale B.S. Candidate 2021),  Martín Martínez (MIT B.S. 2017)

Summary

.  Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay. 

The treatment guidelines of both South Korea and China against COVID-19 are generally consistent, outlining chloroquine as an effective treatment.

China prioritizes internal use of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) including Chloroquine[14]

In early February, Chongqing Kangle Pharmaceutical was requested by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, Consumption Division to promptly increase the manufacturing and production of the active pharmaceutical ingredients chloroquine phosphate despite slowed production during the Chinese New Year.

I'll continue to try and dig out more direct links to the studies.

Edited by Mr Anonymous