Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Someone could decide it's time to loosen up in a couple of weeks, but what would that mean?  Restaurants and shops could open, but would many people go?  We could reopen schools, but what happens when/if a positive result shows up somewhere?   (My university is processing dorm refunds, i.e., we're not going to open back up this spring.)  Airlines could offer flights, but will people jump at the chance to travel?  Even churches could resume services, but what if a significant number of members say "not yet?"  I don't think it makes any sense to open up until the national mood is ready for it. It feels like this would be - will be - a serious game of 'chicken.'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tri-man 47 said:

Someone could decide it's time to loosen up in a couple of weeks, but what would that mean?  Restaurants and shops could open, but would many people go?  We could reopen schools, but what happens when/if a positive result shows up somewhere?   (My university is processing dorm refunds, i.e., we're not going to open back up this spring.)  Airlines could offer flights, but will people jump at the chance to travel?  Even churches could resume services, but what if a significant number of members say "not yet?"  I don't think it makes any sense to open up until the national mood is ready for it. It feels like this would be - will be - a serious game of 'chicken.'

You better hope so.  If the virus is eliminated in certain areas, you're going to want people to get back to normal real quick.

12 minutes ago, shader said:

I mean to be fair, if we can't ease up in 2-3 weeks the economy IS going to crater in a way that will horrify everyone and make 2008 look like a bull market.  The time to stop this is right now.  But at some point very soon, the economy does actually have to start again.

It's a fine line to be sure but we haven't even addressed the underlying need of social distancing to curb this spread. Not sure how we can optimistically say we're open for business again by Easter. We'll just be hitting our stride with case load by then at the rate we are going.

I thought the stimulus package was being put in place to get us over the hump but we can't even get that through without filling it full of pork so everyone gets their share. It's disgusting to see our politicians at times like this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

So other than going to the store and standing in line with the masses (which I can't do), has anyone had any success ordering TP on-line. Everything on Amazon looks to be coming from China sometime in May and the local grocery stores won't let you add it to your order and pick it up. 

I was able to place an order a while back and it's due Thursday. Coming from Pennsylvania to Arizona.

2 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Yep. Even if everything opened up tomorrow, discretionary spending just came to a screeching halt. It would be like opening everything back up in a hurricane before the eye has even passed by. Nature is in control of the economy right now. Discretionary spending isn't going to begin again until nature is done. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Apparently "when we can ease up somewhat" is now Easter. Good gosh we are in big trouble.

Every single person I know feels this way including my 70+ year old father. I think people are starting to realise they'd rather live with this and the consequences that come with it than completely obliterate their retirement savings or permanently lose their employment. And i tell you we're only a few weeks away from the latter. 

Trump is acting irresponsible

• Like 1

Back at it...

Starting with this article from South Korea dating back to February...

Physicians work out treatment guidelines for coronavirus

Korean physicians treating the patients infected with the new coronavirus (COVID-19) have established the treatment guidelines for the unpreceded coronavirus.

For the antiviral treatment, the doctors recommended lopinavir 400mg/ritonavir 100mg (Kaletra two tablets, twice a day) or chloroquine 500mg orally per day.

As chloroquine is not available in Korea, doctors could consider hydroxychloroquine 400mg orally per day, they said. There is no evidence that using lopinavir/ritonavir with chloroquine is more effective than monotherapies, they added.

Just got back, so I'll continue to try and locate more direct links with full transcript of the studies like this one rather than summaries.

13 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Certainly an interesting day when it comes to leadership. On the national level, two more weeks and then we will be raring to go again (allegedly). Locally, we were notified we are converting a high school to a hospital and messages from the governor and mayors that things will be ramping up and will peak in two to three weeks. They even explained they have been tracking what has been going on and the number of cases with the medical community. They claim with a high degree of certainty that the surge is coming. Locally, they don’t want people out and they are only tightening and extending restrictions. Clearly those two pictures are not the same. 

I feel the same way and it’s amazing when the governor and president hold back to back press conferences telling us exact opposite messages. 

• Love 1

Just now, beer 30 said:

It's a fine line to be sure but we haven't even addressed the underlying need of social distancing to curb this spread. Not sure how we can optimistically say we're open for business again by Easter. We'll just be hitting our stride with case load by then at the rate we are going.

I thought the stimulus package was being put in place to get us over the hump but we can't even get that through without filling it full of pork so everyone gets their share. It's disgusting to see our politicians at times like this.

I don't think this is accurate.  Travel is significantly reduced, there are no large events, churches (for the most part) are doing virtual services, there are no sporting events, many businesses are working from home, people aren't going to the movies, malls are empty, etc.

Many things have happened.  Yeah, EVERYONE isn't doing this, but I think it's a mistake to think that steps aren't being taken to curb this spread.

US numbers are absolutely exploding, but that's because of testing.  It's almost a certainty that the actual virus isn't doubling at nearly the same rate this week as it was 3 weeks ago.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

I was able to place an order a while back and it's due Thursday. Coming from Pennsylvania to Arizona.

Stop buying all our tp!

😤

3 minutes ago, shader said:

You better hope so.  If the virus is eliminated in certain areas, you're going to want people to get back to normal real quick.

You may want people to get back to normal, but what will be the new normal?  Do I really need that overpriced meal out?  Do I really need that ballgame with 40k other filthy people?  Do I need that cruise, that trip to Italy, anything?  Is normal now that the entire tourism industry is gutted, both here and abroad?  That we lose 70% of restaurants?  That we just decide to become an online society? 

• Like 1

How do you guys feel about colleges moving grades to pass/fail?

3 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

Trump is acting irresponsible

Please take these bad takes to the PSF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Back in December, a bunch of kids in my son's school got sick including my son. The school had 70% attendance that week. School was still taught and attendance returned to normal levels the following week. I imagine this would be no different. Kids barely have symptoms anyway. Life has to go on

We have to live with this. No amount of quarantine will change those issues. 

Just now, Sneegor said:

Please take these bad takes to the PSF

Sorry.

• Thanks 1

Just now, wazoo11 said:

Seems sensible.  It's a pretty nutty semester, I'm not sure that kids should be punished if they don't have a good home environment for studying, etc.

3 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

You may want people to get back to normal, but what will be the new normal?  Do I really need that overpriced meal out?  Do I really need that ballgame with 40k other filthy people?  Do I need that cruise, that trip to Italy, anything?  Is normal now that the entire tourism industry is gutted, both here and abroad?  That we lose 70% of restaurants?  That we just decide to become an online society? 

It will be up to each individual to decide. All I know is I've been stuck inside for a week (except for bagelgate) and I can tell you I would definitely start doing those things again ASAP. IMO this is no way to live. My son needs an education, I need to be with my work colleagues, and my son needs to be involved in sports again. This is no way to live. Just wash your hands, cover your mouth, stay home when sick, and don't touch your face. All these things we should be doing anyway. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shader said:

I don't think this is accurate.  Travel is significantly reduced, there are no large events, churches (for the most part) are doing virtual services, there are no sporting events, many businesses are working from home, people aren't going to the movies, malls are empty, etc.

Many things have happened.  Yeah, EVERYONE isn't doing this, but I think it's a mistake to think that steps aren't being taken to curb this spread.

US numbers are absolutely exploding, but that's because of testing.  It's almost a certainty that the actual virus isn't doubling at nearly the same rate this week as it was 3 weeks ago.

We've seen throughout this thread how people are ignoring the social distancing warnings. When the government steps in it happens but not nearly enough are doing it so I don't necessarily agree with your bolded statement.

Yes we are making the effort but not to the extent that it will stop what we know is coming. Further complicating things are leaders getting on TV everyday downplaying the severity of the problem and espousing getting people back to work in 2 weeks. Watch what happens in China as they go back to life after 2 solid months of being locked down, truly locked down. I fully expect to see and have some anecdotal stuff already pointing to another round of outbreaks.

• Thanks 2

Schools would be the last thing to open since they are the quickest route to spreading something through an entire community. Kids aren’t very hygienic, they touch everything, share desks, computers, calculators, etc and then take all those germs home.

3 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

We've seen throughout this thread how people are ignoring the social distancing warnings. When the government steps in it happens but not nearly enough are doing it so I don't necessarily agree with your bolded statement.

Yes we are making the effort but not to the extent that it will stop what we know is coming. Further complicating things are leaders getting on TV everyday downplaying the severity of the problem and espousing getting people back to work in 2 weeks. Watch what happens in China as they go back to life after 2 solid months of being locked down, truly locked down. I fully expect to see and have some anecdotal stuff already pointing to another round of outbreaks.

This is why containment generally doesn't work. 

Just now, tamales said:

It will be up to each individual to decide. All I know is I've been stuck inside for a week (except for bagelgate) and I can tell you I would definitely start doing those things again ASAP. IMO this is no way to live. My son needs an education, I need to be with my work colleagues, and my son needs to be involved in sports again. This is no way to live. Just wash your hands, cover your mouth, stay home when sick, and don't touch your face. All these things we should be doing anyway. 

I agree that this is no way to live, but I don't trust anyone to wash their hands, cover their mouths, stay home if/when sick and not touch faces.  Not at this point with cases still rising.  Will I get there again, yeah.  When, who knows......but I will probably wait 6-12 months after given the "green light", so to speak.  I mean, i'll get on that cruise leaving Rome going to Greece at some point, but is it a necessity right now?  Next year.......maybe. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Schools would be the last thing to open since they are the quickest route to spreading something through an entire community. Kids aren’t very hygienic, they touch everything, share desks, computers, calculators, etc and then take all those germs home.

But what if there was almost no evidence of kids bringing this home to their families from school?

Edited by parasaurolophus

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

People can't go back to work if their kids are home though. 

8 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

This is a very good idea under the circumstances, and I've lobbied for my university to at least give students the option of switching to pass/fail.  Our students did not sign up for online instruction, and most of our newly-online classes are slapped together with the academic equivalents of duct tape and bailing wire.  Sticking with regular letter grades just amplifies the stress inherent in this sort of situation.

I say that as somebody who used to give out Cs and Ds like candy when I was still teaching.  (I'm in administration now).  I'm mostly opposed to pass/fail under normal conditions, but this isn't normal.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

Based on how people have been acting as recently as this past weekend.  I don't think much changes after this is done.  A bunch of stores/restaurants will not survive but people will eventually get back to traveling, attending ballgames, concerts, etc..

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

But what if there was almost no evidence of kids bringing this home to their families from school?

Do we know that? That’s fair, even if it seems counterintuitive. I worked at a school that a norovorus outbreak and it was crazy how quickly that thing spread.

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I have no kids, but in this area, all parents do is complain about everything.  Can you imagine a kid getting sick because a school opened too soon?  Holy law suit batman.......just a reality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chemical X said:

I agree that this is no way to live, but I don't trust anyone to wash their hands, cover their mouths, stay home if/when sick and not touch faces.  Not at this point with cases still rising.  Will I get there again, yeah.  When, who knows......but I will probably wait 6-12 months after given the "green light", so to speak.  I mean, i'll get on that cruise leaving Rome going to Greece at some point, but is it a necessity right now?  Next year.......maybe. 

I get that. It will definitely be a personal decision and on a case by case basis. In other words, it might take an individual 12 months to feel safe on a cruise again but only one month to go out to a restaurant. 

Just now, Chemical X said:

I have no kids, but in this area, all parents do is complain about everything.  Can you imagine a kid getting sick because a school opened too soon?  Holy law suit batman.......just a reality.

And schools have to deal with attendance. How many parents would keep their kids home? If a certain percentage of students are absent, it doesn’t even legally count as a school day.

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Do we know that? That’s fair, even if it seems counterintuitive. I worked at a school that a norovorus outbreak and it was crazy how quickly that thing spread.

And im sure school didn't close for that. 

1 minute ago, Ben Hur said:

Yeah, no.  Schools are the first thing that has to open.  You open places of work without schools, people then get fired with cause.  

How so?

Just now, Ilov80s said:

We don't know much of anything for sure, but I don't think we are too far from having these answers. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, tamales said:

And im sure school didn't close for that. 

Closed for 2 days. Thurs and Friday plus the weekend. Had to have it professionally cleaned and disinfected plus get approval from the State to re-open. It was a mess, there was vomit everywhere as when kids/staff started getting sick there weren’t enough toilets and trash cans for everyone.

Edited by Ilov80s

Posted (edited)

It's becoming obvious that we're not just going to botch the beginning of this, we're going to botch it from start to finish.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 6

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Closed for 2 days 

Wow I stand corrected. NYC don't close for ####

What you guys are talking about is the velocity of money. Unless 100% of the population goes back to spending the way they were weeks ago, the velocity of money is slower than it was. The questions are 1) how much slower; and 2) when will it return to what it once was.

1) is hard to answer. 2 is easier to answer given the answer is years. Anyone who thinks it is weeks or months is delusional. 

• Like 2

Just now, Politician Spock said:

What you guys are talking about is the velocity of money. Unless 100% of the population goes back to spending the way they were weeks ago, the velocity of money is slower than it was. The questions are 1) how much slower; and 2) when will it return to what it once was.

1) is hard to answer. 2 is easier to answer given the answer is years. Anyone who thinks it is weeks or months is delusional. 

I'd say one a vaccine is available

2 minutes ago, tamales said:

I get that. It will definitely be a personal decision and on a case by case basis. In other words, it might take an individual 12 months to feel safe on a cruise again but only one month to go out to a restaurant. 

That's the thing we won't be able to know.  Social behavior.  Some people wont care, some people will overreact and some will be on the fence.  Me personally?  I've always been wary about the cleanliness of restaurants and this doesn't make me feel anymore warm and fuzzy.  I may just sit it out going forward.....but I say that now.

I was able to find the treatment guide China has issued...

https://covid-19.alibabacloud.com/

The Jack Ma Foundation and Alibaba Foundation jointly established the Global MediXchange for Combating COVID-19 (GMCC) programme, with the support of Alibaba Cloud Intelligence and Alibaba Health, to help combat the global outbreak of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19. This programme was established to facilitate online communication and collaboration across borders, as well as provide frontline medical teams around the world with the necessary communication channels to share practical experience about fighting the pandemic. This center offers overseas Chinese compatriots with COVID-19 prevention and treatment consultation from frontline doctors, and supports medical scientific research institutions with AI, big data, and cloud computing capabilities.

About a 1/4 down the page linked above there's a READ NOW button. On page 24 of the handbook, (page 29 of the pdf) you'll see that China is using chloroquine as a treatment.

2 minutes ago, Ben Hur said:

uh, for not showing up.

Why aren’t employees showing up to work? I’m confused. 

1 hour ago, CurlyNight said:

21 day national shut down in India. 

India, which has been downplaying the COVID19 epidemic threat for weeks, is now on national lockdown. Imagine trying to enforce it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/24/coronavirus-latest-news/#click=https://t.co/1B4IRxjkcG

Mind boggling. I think India has to be a worst case scenario. High population, low sanitation and hygiene , government corruption and ineffectiveness, unhealthy religious rituals, and a lot of superstitions. I realize it probably sounds like I just described the U.S. to some but India seems like it has the worst of both worlds in terms of containment and treatment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tamales said:

Wow I stand corrected. NYC don't close for ####

I edited my post above adding detail. It was one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen.

53 minutes ago, Mr. Pickles said:

This is going to be... interesting. Enormous population and densely packed with a hideous health care system and a larger numbers living in relative squalor. Yikes. 

In the Netflix show 'Pandemic' they did a nice job showing the difficulties of battling swine flu there.  COVID19 may be a completely different battle.

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Agreed.  Schools should not reopen this year IMO.

16 minutes ago, tamales said:

Every single person I know feels this way including my 70+ year old father. I think people are starting to realise they'd rather live with this and the consequences that come with it than completely obliterate their retirement savings or permanently lose their employment. And i tell you we're only a few weeks away from the latter. 

That is an irresponsible take.  One that will only lead to more deaths in the short term, more economic problems in the long-term, and a whole lot of social unrest.  All non-essential things in the entire country should be shut down >>> your suggestion we just open it up and 'live with this'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tamales said:

I'd say one a vaccine is available

Even then millions of people will be focused on rebuilding the accumulated wealth they lost instead of spending like they were a few weeks ago. 

Just now, NorvilleBarnes said:

Mind boggling. I think India has to be a worst case scenario. High population, low sanitation and hygiene , government corruption and ineffectiveness, unhealthy religious rituals, and a lot of superstitions. I realize it probably sounds like I just described the U.S. to some but India seems like it has the worst of both worlds in terms of containment and treatment.

Has this thing got to Rio yet? I can only imagine places like India and Brazil.

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Here's another link with the full contents of a study on Chloroquine...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0883944120303907?via%3Dihub

First, some good news: The Journal of Critical Care, to which your linked paper was submitted for publication (but not yet published), is a legitimate scientific journal. The articles published in that journal will be peer-reviewed as a prerequisite to publication.

Now, for the lengthy list of cons (spoilered for length):

- The paper linked is not a study --

it is an aggregation of existing articles. See the Methods section on page 1: "We performed a systematic review of the PubMed and EMBASE databases from inception to 1 March 2020 to find articles providing information on the efficacy and safety of chloroquine and chloroquine-related formulations in patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia and articles describing related in-vitro studies."

- In their Results section (my capital lettering) : "[We] found six relevant articles (A. one narrative letter, B. one research letter, C. one editorial, D. one expert consensus paper in Chinese, E. one national guideline document in Dutch and one in Italian). F. Twenty-three trials were found in the trial registries."

In order:

- A. From their Discussion section, pg 3: "A narrative letter by Chinese authors reported that a news briefing from the State Council of China had indicated that 'Chloroquine phosphate...had demonstrated marked efficacy and acceptable safety in treating COVID-19 associated pneumonia in multicentre clinical trials conducted in China' [5]. The authors also stated that these findings came from 'more than 100 patients' included in the trials [5]. We sought for evidence of such data in the trial registries we reviewed and found none."

The authors are too kind. I inserted the links to the cited article (the [5]s) -- please click on them and note that the reference is to an abstract and references, void of any actual experiment whatsoever. Not much better than a "Terms of Service" dead link.

- B. From their Discussion section, pg 3: "The research letter, written by a group of Chinese researchers, studied the effect of chloroquine in vitro, using Vero E6 cells infected by SARS-CoV-2 at a multiplicity of infection (MOI) of 0.05. The study demonstrated that chloroquine was highly effective in reducing viral replication, with an Effective Concentration (EC)90of 6.90μM that can be easily achievable with standard dosing, due to its favourable penetration in tissues, including in the lung. ... The authors also speculated on the possibility that the known immunomodulant effect of the drug may enhance the antiviral effect in vivo."

- C. From their Discussion section, pg 3: "The Editorial written by French researchers, underlined the in-vitro efficacy of chloroquine in other viral infections, especially SARS (whose disappearance resulted in limited further research). They also discussed the potentially favourable risk-benefit balance, the high safety, and the low expenditure of such treatment in the context of the current COVID-19 outbreak."

One of the authors of this editorial, Dr. Didier Raoult, has been mentioned and discussed in this thread. He is a legitimate and noted researcher in the field of infectious diseases. Subsequent to this editorial, he was part of a team that conducted a limited trial (>30 patients) of a therapy combining hydroxychloroquine and the popular antibiotic azithromycin.

While initially being touted as a promising set of results, Raoult's methods in achieving those results proved questionable under further scrutiny (The Intercept, 3/24/2020):

"Raoult’s claim that the study proves the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine on Covid-19 has been questioned for its very small size and some odd choices in how it was conducted. Then there is the fact that six of the patients treated with hydroxychloroquine had adverse reactions within three days: one died, three were removed from the study when they were transferred to intensive care, one tested negative for the virus and one stopped the treatment because of nausea. Those failures were simply dropped from the study’s statistics.

The Centers for Disease Control described Raoult’s work as “a small study” that reported “hydroxychloroquine alone or in combination with azithromycin reduced detection of” the coronavirus “in upper respiratory tract specimens compared with a non-randomized control group but did not assess clinical benefit.” (NOTE: the worst effects of COVID take place in the lower respiratory tract, i.e. the lungs - DB)

As Matthew Herper of Stat News explained, “three-quarters of the time, medicines against infectious disease that looked promising in small studies either were ineffective or had side effects that made them unusable” after larger clinical trials.

- D. From their Discussion section, pg 3-4: "The expert consensus was published on 20th February by a multicentre collaboration group of the Department of Science and Technology of Guangdong Province and Health Commission of Guangdong Province paper and related specifically to the use of chloroquinephosphate [7] (NOTE: Dead Google Scholar link - DB). No information was provided on the method used to achieve consensus [7]. Based on in vitro evidence and still unpublished clinical experience, the panel recommended chloroquine phosphate tablet, at a dose of 500 mg twice per day for 10 days, for patients diagnosed as mild, moderate and severe cases ..."

Chloroquine phosphate, meant for parasite control in fish tanks, is what killed a man in Arizona this past weekend (NBC News, 3/23/2020).

- E. From their Discussion section, pg 4: "The Dutch Center of Disease control (CDC), in a public document on its website (NOTE: not anymore - DB), suggested to treat severe infections requiring admission to the hospital and oxygen therapy or admitted to the ICU with chloroquine, [8] (NOTE: another dead link - DB). However, the document also stated that treating patients only with optimal supportive care is still a reasonable option, due to lack of supportive evidence."

"Another guideline document by the Italian Society of Infectious and Tropical disease (Lombardy section) recommend the use of chlorochine 500 mg × 2/die or hydroxychloroquine 200 mg die for 10 days, although the treatment may vary from 5 to 20 days according to clinical severity. The suggested target population ranged from patients with mild respiratory symptoms and comorbidities to patients with severe respiratory failure [9]." (NOTE: yep -- yet another dead link - DB)

- F. The chart about the incipient trials is interesting, but note that everything they cited is from March 1st and earlier (see Methods, pg 1). See the second column in the trials chart (pgs 2-3 here) titled 'Recruiting Status'. That column shows that not a one of those 23 trials had even begun -- all statuses shown were either 'Pre-approval', 'Not yet recruiting' or 'Recruiting'. None of the 23 were underway as of 3/1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4