Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

So, I just had an interesting trip to the supermarket. Our town has just recently issued a stay-at-home order and shut down everything but vital services. Apparently that means everybody run to the grocery store and buy as much stuff as you can (even though they're staying open). Literally aisles completely empty. I was just looking for some mac and cheese and hot dogs and they were completely gone.  :loco:

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Newsom

Aged 18 to 49 are tested positive in 50% of CA cases.

26% 50 to 64

23% above 65

Those under 18% only 1%, or even just a rounding error?  Are they not getting it, or not sick enough to warrant a test?

23 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Who are you trying to impress?

You like to tear me down for teaching inner city minorities in Miami 10 years ago after graduating from the University of Miami...where do you hold degrees from since you are so interested and jealous of my posts? I was in the Shark Pool all season if you needed attention...I notice you and others don't challenge my math much over there, hmmm wonder why? That's rhetorical in case you didn't catch it. :whistle:

:lol: What on EARTH are you rambling on about?

This thread has been going strong for 2 months before you dropped in. Welcome. 

• Laughing 2

10 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I was actually surprised how tight Michigan is. My wife’s company is building a projects for a US military base so they assumed that they would be considered essential. They have to justify to the State how each employee is working on something worthy of exemption. They weren’t able to justify several members of their typical production staff.

From what I’ve seen here and have heard about elsewhere, that’s very surprising. 

I wish it was that way here. Everywhere actually 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Chances of CA opening up in April are pretty nill. Lots of tests out there taking a long time to get results, and that's needed to see the trend. He said 6 to 8 weeks pivotal to evaluate CA. 8 to 12 weeks is likely for CA.

Edited by CurlyNight

9 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

So, I just had an interesting trip to the supermarket. Our town has just recently issued a stay-at-home order and shut down everything but vital services. Apparently that means everybody run to the grocery store and buy as much stuff as you can (even though they're staying open). Literally aisles completely empty. I was just looking for some mac and cheese and hot dogs and they were completely gone.  :loco:

This is why a bunch of us have topped-off pantries -- so we don't have to hit the stores during panic runs.   Not directed at you personally or anybody else, but going into crowds right now is a bad idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

From what I’ve seen here and have heard about elsewhere, that’s very surprising. 

I wish it was that way here. Everywhere actually 

My wife’s company is planning to follow the guidelines but I’m sure plenty are going to try to bend them and hope they don’t get caught.

12 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Those under 18% only 1%, or even just a rounding error?  Are they not getting it, or not sick enough to warrant a test?

I'd guess asymptomatic and not tested.  But that's just my guess.

14 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

If any of the supermarkets in your area offer delivery, I'd do that. You'll have to wait a few days, and may not get everything you order, but it's probably the way to go if your stores are that barren right now.

12 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Didn't say anything about under 18 but did say no one is safe from testing positive so we are hunkering down longer.

1 hour ago, yak651 said:

Doesn't do me any good, wife is WFH also!

:kicksrock:

19 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

Was this post from 3 weeks ago?

• Laughing 6

23 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Newsom

Aged 18 to 49 are tested positive in 50% of CA cases.

26% 50 to 64

23% above 65

Wth, is there some mutated strain out there? 

Posted (edited)

Comparing the first 25 days with China.

UNITED STATES                             CHINA 
#Days, Date, #Deaths   .......... #Days, Date, #Deaths

01: 2020-02-29   1         .......... 01: 2020-01-10   1 
02: 2020-03-01   2(+1)  .......... 06: 2020-01-15   2(+1)
                                         .......... 09: 2020-01-18   3(+1)
03: 2020-03-02   6(+4)  .......... 10: 2020-01-19   6(+3)
04: 2020-03-03   9(+3)  .......... 12: 2020-01-21   9(+3)
05: 2020-03-04  11(+2)
07: 2020-03-06  14(+3)
                                          .......... 13: 2020-01-22  17(+8)
08: 2020-03-07  19(+5)
09: 2020-03-08  21(+2)
                                          .......... 14: 2020-01-23  25(+8)
10: 2020-03-09  26(+5)
11: 2020-03-10  31(+5)
12: 2020-03-11  37(+6)
13: 2020-03-12  41(+4) .......... 15: 2020-01-24  41(+16)
14: 2020-03-13  49(+8)
15: 2020-03-14  56(+7) .......... 16: 2020-01-25  56(+15)
16: 2020-03-15  62(+6)
17: 2020-03-16  75(+13)
                                          .......... 17: 2020-01-26  80(+24)
18: 2020-03-17  96(+21)
                                          .......... 18: 2020-01-27 106(+26)
19: 2020-03-18 122(+26)
                                          .......... 19: 2020-01-28 132(+26) 
                                          .......... 20: 2020-01-29 170(+38) 
20: 2020-03-19 174(+52)
                                          .......... 21: 2020-01-30 213(+43)
21: 2020-03-20 229(+55)
                                          .......... 22: 2020-01-31 259(+46)
22: 2020-03-21 296(+67) 
                                          .......... 23: 2020-02-01 304(+45) 
                                          .......... 24: 2020-02-02 361(+57) 
23: 2020-03-22 405(+109) 
                                          .......... 25: 2020-02-03 425(+64) 
                                          .......... 26: 2020-02-04 490(+65)

24: 2020-03-23 516(+111) 
                                           .......... 27: 2020-02-05 563(+73) 
                                           .......... 28: 2020-02-06 636(+73)
                                           .......... 29: 2020-02-07 722(+86) 
25: 2929-03-24 775(+222) 
                                           .......... 30: 2020-02-08 811(+89)

Edited by bradyfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

So how much food do people have stored up?  I am at about 6 days “regular” groceries that I could stretch with things in my freezer if needed, family of four. 

Wife and I are on day 10 of self quarantine travelling from Maui, which had one confirmed case at their airport around the time I travelled. 

No symptoms. Friends have done small grocery runs for us, really wondering if I should wait until Sat to do a big shop, ask a friend to do it (they don’t want to be out either) or break quarantine and go straight there and straight back. 

edit: delivery slots for the local stores are booking out several weeks 

Edited by The Duff Man

Guy I work with both his parents have tested positive.  He believes they both got it in the hospital.   Went in for routine tests and fell ill suddenly.  Both are recluses.  No one else in the family has tested positive...yet.      Going to be a lot of nosocomial infections.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

CA is #1 in aggressiveness to take action. 

8 to 12 weeks to see how the curve looks is what local news is saying.

AI simulations are used to assess needs daily. Blood donations needed. It's getting low in some areas and other type of pts still come in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keerock said:

Thats @AcerFC territory, right?

Yup. FML

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I made a Target run today to top off our pantry on a few items.  I live 45 minutes away from the nearest Target, and I also needed to run a few other errands, so it wasn't just a Target trip, but whatever.  It was pretty dead at 9:30 am.  Nothing was out of stock except hand sanitizer (expected) and yeast.  So I stopped off at a nearby grocery store, and they were out of yeast too.  The reason why I was looking for yeast is because our local grocery was out of it when my wife went on Friday.  WTF is up with people buying yeast?  That seems incredibly random.

Making breads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

Apologies if it was already mentioned but DeBlasio says that if people in NYC don't do better with social distancing by Saturday he will finally close all playgrounds. 

Perfectly typical of how he has handled all of  this. 

SF did that yesterday. Just do it.

26 minutes ago, [icon] said:

:lol: What on EARTH are you rambling on about?

This thread has been going strong for 2 months before you dropped in. Welcome. 

don't engage him.  less is more.  i honestly thought he'd been gone for years.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wth, is there some mutated strain out there? 

Old people are smart.  And scared.

That's the only explanation I could come up with, but it seems stupid.  Who the hell bakes their own bread?  We are not in any danger of running out of bread.  Then again, we're also not in any danger of running out of toilet paper and paper towels, and we see what's happening there, so never mind I guess.  People are idiots.

Lol.  @Soulfly3 has a bread recipe that was life altering. So good. 

So many other good breads to make too. 

Also seems weird that you want to buy yeast and then question why other people are buying yeast. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, shader said:

One of the towns near me just did an executive order “lockdown”.  The exclusion list was so long I literally cannot imagine a store that wouldn’t make the list.

Lots of reallys? out there. Some dude on fb sells toilets, an essential business. He's a salesman not a plumber. I'm sure lots are out there under the radar despite areas being policed.

Someone I went to college with posted the following about their symptoms (their mother tested positive and they are both sick). She's in her late 20's and lives in NYC.

Welp. Definitely have the Rona. My mom tested positive and we have the same symptoms on the same timeline. I thought I was doing such a great job keeping my distance/hand hygiene etc. I’m not going to get tested because testing is so limited and I’m quite sure I have it. Just going to quarantine and monitor my (luckily pretty mild) symptoms. Stay safe everyone!!

----

symptoms wise: started with a slight cough last tuesday or so, with persistent headache and body ache for a couple days. i felt mostly fine though despite and didn't think much of it. then the last few days it moved to fatigue and head cold symptoms (congestion etc). i still haven't noticed a fever/was taking my temp regularly so not sure if i missed it or what. my mom and i were around each other last weekend right before we both began feeling symptoms (thought we just had a cold). she tested positive thursday and is still feeling fatigue/cough.

----

thanks everyone. my mom is now in the hospital w pneumonia. this stuff is real.
and have to add to the symptoms list: loss of taste and smell. i have had no taste or smell for a few days and just heard on the radio that doctors are trying to add that to the list of covid symptoms.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, the moops said:

Whole Foods was pretty well stocked and pretty empty of people today. Was in and out in 20 minutes and 175 bucks 

Whole paycheck. 

• Laughing 1

23 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

My wife’s company is planning to follow the guidelines but I’m sure plenty are going to try to bend them and hope they don’t get caught.

No doubt

Lots of bending here and I don’t think anyone is trying to catch anyone 🤷🏻‍♂️

40 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

I do a lot of baking, it's one of my main hobbies, and I make at least 1 loaf of bread per week.  I haven't been able to find yeast in a few weeks.  Thankfully I have sourdough starters and a couple spare packets of active dry lying around if needed.

I haven't been able to find bread flour either.  AP flour still on the shelves though.

Just buy some vital wheat gluten and add it to all purpose flour and Wa La, bread flour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Other states are waaaaayyyy different. California is THE outlier, and a destination for RNs from around the world, not just the country, because of the pay. And, as hags mentioned, it's due to the Union.

The cost of living is high in the desired areas, but CA does take care of their nurses thankfully. 

2 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

Was walking the dog through a nearby park yesterday and there were two dads standing next to each other with infants in baby bjorns while they watched over 5 kids playing on the equipment together.

There's a report what you see 800 number some where that encourages reporting rule breakers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

SF did that yesterday. Just do it.

2 hours ago, matttyl said:

How has this not already happened?!  Good lord, I live in a county that hasn’t yet had a single positive case, and our playgrounds have been shut down for a week now. 

I'm in Hoboken NJ on the other side of the river from NYC, a dense town full of city commuters and at that point, our playgrounds will have been closed for two weeks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toshiba said:

Probably too early to know that info.

Yes. Probably respecting the parents. 

On 3/23/2020 at 8:12 PM, bradyfan said:

China CDC Situation Report on Mar-23 
31 Provinces & XPCC - including imported
  Suspected: 132 (+35
  Confirmed: 81171 (+78
  Severe: 1573 (-176
  Dead: 3277 (+7
  Recovered: 73159 (+456
  Close contacts traced: 691185 and 12077 still under medical observation 
“Imported” from other countries - Confirmed: 427 (+74
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 356 (Dead: 4, Recovered: 101) 
Macau - Confirmed: 25 (Recovered: 10) 
Taiwan - Confirmed: 195 (Dead: 2, Recovered: 29)

China CDC Situation Report on Mar-24
31 Provinces & XPCC - including imported
  Suspected: 134 (+33
  Confirmed: 81218 (+47
  Severe: 1399 (-174)  
  Dead: 3281 (+4
  Recovered: 73650 (+491
  Close contacts traced: 693223 and 13356 still under medical observation 
“Imported” from other countries - Confirmed: 474 (+47
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 386 (Dead: 4, Recovered: 102) 
Macau - Confirmed: 26 (Recovered: 10) 
Taiwan - Confirmed: 216 (Dead: 2, Recovered: 29)

6 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

No doubt

Lots of bending here and I don’t think anyone is trying to catch anyone 🤷🏻‍♂️

Most likely way anyone will get caught is someone inside the company rats on them. I’ve seen a lot of stuff on social media from the AG with the number to call to anonymously report violations. I think Michigan is going to try. We have the 4th highest number of cases. A Detroit Cop, 38 with no known health issues just died from it. A couple hundred Detroit cops are quarantined. It’s looking like it will get ugly here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Is there a good resource that gives an idea of total number of tests done relative to the confirmed cases with the daily updates? I know we’ve ramped up this week but how much?

CNN reporting 160 deaths today in the USA.  A sad development.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Most likely way anyone will get caught is someone inside the company rats on them. I’ve seen a lot of stuff on social media from the AG with the number to call to anonymously report violations. I think Michigan is going to try. We have the 4th highest number of cases. A Detroit Cop, 38 with no known health issues just died from it. A couple hundred Detroit cops are quarantined. It’s looking like it will get ugly here.

Sorry man

Stay safe

• Thanks 1

No package deal will be voted on tonight. Now maybe in the morning. 

1 minute ago, CurlyNight said:

No package deal will be voted on tonight. Now maybe in the morning. 

🙄

2 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

I'm not normally stressed to go to work. This is an extreme situation. We've cordoned off an entire ward for COVID patients and rule outs, and set up a tent to see patients in front of the hospital. We don't have enough rapid test kits or masks. And this is still early. There are three more stages of disaster mitigation planned, and hospital personnel believe all will likely be called into play.

No one has "hitched their wagon" to my stats. They're paying attention to the flood of data around the world from infectious disease experts and epidemiologists, and not getting lost in interpretation of early and incomplete numbers, which invariably will worsen as our healthcare system is taxed.

We don't have it under control. That is what I'm trying to communicate, and dismissive posts run counter to that effort. If you want to be a contrarian, fine, but for you wife and many others' sake, please consider the possibility the experts know what they're talking about.

Chief, I don't know what else I can say, I shared my family is experiencing similar things as yours to try and connect with you, I wasn't dismissive, just simply said you take care of you, thought that was a nice way to communicate that I respect the intensity of your situation but printed words cannot capture the tone of my voice I'm afraid. 

"Dismissive posts run counter"....sounds vaguely like "those who don't agree with things I am communicating will perish"

I'm glad many folks are finding comfort in your posts, that's awesome for folks to feel connected and have someone reliable they trust vs the news and media/social media which twist a lot of things. 

All ego/pride set to the side...if you are risking your health going to a hospital every day(I have no idea what you do there...Dr, RN, Lab, Admin) I tip my cap to you. Lot of folks are taking it easy at home, you're obviously working hard and trying to help as many folks as you can. Who can find fault in that?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I received my hand sanitiser from goatmilkstuff.com. It's very moisturising for a hand sanitiser and scent is wonderful once the alcohol scent has dissipated in less than a minute. You can choose whatever scent they offer in their lush long lasting soaps. Your wives would love this!

Edited by CurlyNight
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Latter for sure. 

22 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Just buy some vital wheat gluten and add it to all purpose flour and Wa La, bread flour. 

everytime i see wa la, i laugh.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

That's the only explanation I could come up with, but it seems stupid.  Who the hell bakes their own bread?  We are not in any danger of running out of bread.  Then again, we're also not in any danger of running out of toilet paper and paper towels, and we see what's happening there, so never mind I guess.  People are idiots.

Baking is a great activity especially when you have kids that are bored. Reward is bread, pizza crust, etc that tastes better than store bought. Now with all this time on people's hands, cooking and baking are great hobbies. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tamales said:

Was this post from 3 weeks ago?

I live in small town USA...we are a few steps behind the coasts.

Secondo l'aggiornamento alle 8 di martedì 24 marzo della Regione Umbria e della Protezione Civile ci sono "cinque guariti dal coronavirus, 19 morti e 648 casi positivi registrati in totale".“

According to up to date as of 8a Tuesday March 24.......5 recovering from the virus, 19 dead and 648 positive case.

This is from www.perugiatoday.it, Umbria stats.