Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

13 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Apologies if it was already mentioned but DeBlasio says that if people in NYC don't do better with social distancing by Saturday he will finally close all playgrounds. 

Perfectly typical of how he has handled all of  this. 

I’m afraid to use the non-curseword English language descriptive terms I’d like to use for him, only because I don’t know if that’s banworthy only when applied to the president or if it applies to all elected officials whose handling or major issues I find at best lackluster, but, well, wow. 

He’s not good at being mayor. Or any kind of leader. I hope I can say that.  

4 hours ago, Courtjester said:

So other than going to the store and standing in line with the masses (which I can't do), has anyone had any success ordering TP on-line. Everything on Amazon looks to be coming from China sometime in May and the local grocery stores won't let you add it to your order and pick it up. 

I went into Walmart a little before 8am in and out with TP in less then 10 minutes.  Went through the self checkout no lines.

Posted (edited)

“I’m gonna wait for some severe spreading and THEN I’ll close schools.”

🤦‍♂️

Edited by Otis
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

4 hours ago, jonessed said:

Nurses get paid amazingly well in California.  Often, more than doctors.  I don’t see why we should be subsidizing their degrees.

Other states may be different.

Other states are waaaaayyyy different. California is THE outlier, and a destination for RNs from around the world, not just the country, because of the pay. And, as hags mentioned, it's due to the Union.

22 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Apologies if it was already mentioned but DeBlasio says that if people in NYC don't do better with social distancing by Saturday he will finally close all playgrounds. 

The guy is the worst of the worst

6 minutes ago, Mile High said:

I went into Walmart a little before 8am in and out with TP in less then 10 minutes.  Went through the self checkout no lines.

Really?

In my state, we have like 100 confirmed cases total, and toilet paper is spoken of like a myth.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

23 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Was walking the dog through a nearby park yesterday and there were two dads standing next to each other with infants in baby bjorns while they watched over 5 kids playing on the equipment together.

22 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:
24 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

It's been sadly apparent that his lack of actions have contributed to the spot NY is in to some extent, which really sucks. 

He has been suboptimal.

But Cuomo has been stellar. Every single day. Even diehard Republicans think his leadership has been exemplary.

• Like 4

The assisted living facility around the corner from my house just had their first positive case, a person who is now hospitalized.  My daughter volunteers there most weekends, although they stopped allowing visitors a couple of weeks ago so she hasn't been there since the 8th (16 days).

No illnesses, no symptoms, but if any kick in with the rest of us in the household I wonder if that would be enough to justify a test.

• Love 2

New Yorkers, please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't DeBlasio the one pushing for a quarantine in New York last week? Only to have Cuomo shoot it down and say it's a decision that can only come from him. Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Cuomo throughout this, just trying to wrap my head around this disconnect.

Whole Foods was pretty well stocked and pretty empty of people today. Was in and out in 20 minutes and 175 bucks 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, hagmania said:

I was wondering if the terminology was standardized regarding this. Do you all have "Surge Capacity" levels like Conventional, Contingency and Crisis?

I’m not sure - We definitely have surge capacity plans, but I don’t recall the level terminology delineated as above.

Edited by Terminalxylem
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

The assisted living facility around the corner from my house just had their first positive case, a person who is now hospitalized.  My daughter volunteers there most weekends, although they stopped allowing visitors a couple of weeks ago so she hasn't been there since the 8th (16 days).

No illnesses, no symptoms, but if any kick in with the rest of us in the household I wonder if that would be enough to justify a test.

Not in my state.

43 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

I agree, and did I read the China did go back to work today? That has to be a positive. 

Yeah if you live in China. 

4 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Thanks for sharing that. I was looking for greater detail earlier on this guy and what he's doing. That article is also full of links to many of the studies that are out there.

Much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Doug B said:

No U.S. academic study concurs this -- media worldwide got taken in by essentially a false paper put on Google Docs and since retracted due to Terms of Service violation. It's the same paper we debunked in this thread earlier today.

Note the ConnexionFrance.com article's quote about the "American study" (suspiciously not linked or cited, to boot):

It said: “Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay…

OK, so I wanted to find that "American study". Since the French article purports to quote directly from the "American study", I set out to Google the quote: “Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay"

I found that The Motley Fool also mentioned the same "American study" in a recent article, but also without citation. Hmmm.

Finally, I found a reference to this same study, still no link but this time with the names of the researchers. Yes! I was getting somewhere. But ...

... the reference was on Breitbart.

And the "researchers" were James M. Todaro and Gregory J. Rigano. Oh boy ... those names again -- the link to their study given in the Breitbart article.

"We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service."

Yet another link to the "American study", same "researchers" listed.,

:goodposting:

(I was just going to give your post a "Like". Then I was going to give it a "Thanks". Then I realized that neither gesture was sufficient. So, you get a "Love" and a ":goodposting"" and if Joe added a "Gold Star" button I'd give you that too. Thank you.)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shader said:

Yeah if you live in China. 

Or buy goods from China, or care about the economy in general. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

How has this not already happened?!  Good lord, I live in a county that hasn’t yet had a single positive case, and our playgrounds have been shut down for a week now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tom Skerritt said:

For the record, the anecdotal data does not at all mean that it is effective. It is way too premature to be touting this as effective. I am fine with “experimental” or “for compassionate use”, but “effective” is pretty negligent IMHO. 

I’m coining another new term: panicdotal. This isn’t how science works. I know the situation is dire, but people need to be patient while we methodically study potential therapeutics.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, CurlyNight said:

A teen has died in LA, CA from cv-19. 

Wonder if he had any underlying conditions, like Asthma.

Something "HUB" is offering free premium to stay home and flatten the curve.

• Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, toshiba said:

I already googled and the reports I read did not indicate i.

Just now, nirad3 said:
1 minute ago, toshiba said:

I already googled and the reports I read did not indicate i.

Probably too early to know that info.

1 hour ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Not to be all tinfoil hat about it, but he can come out with optimism about Easter, the market can go up 10%, the trial from the doctor posted above, and I'm not supposed to think where there's smoke there's fire? Even Fauci was optimistic, darn near cheerful for him, citing the increase in testing and the data, the containment, the isolating and the tracing like South Korea did as the new strategy for non-hotspots. Even Cuomo, who is flat out screwed right now, said we need to do tiered mitigation, open things back up, antibodies syrum, young workers first, etc. today.

So I interpret it basically like this. If you're currently sick or dying in NY, CA, WA or anywhere really, you're out of luck. But for everyone else, the uncertainty is lessening. Heck the guy said Easter. You don't think someone told him something that he can't say yet, but he still said it in not so many words because he can't keep his mouth shut?

NY is going to suffer the brunt of this, and other hotspots too, and I feel for the healthcare workers on the front line of this because for them it's still a horror show. But it's going to get better for everyone else, and that's apparently happening in a sooner rather than later timeframe. What changed from doom and gloom to this newer sense of optimism? For my money, it's the treatments. Again, not to tinfoil hat, but that's a crazy reversal today and not just from the crazy guy.  

IMO Fauci has to show some optimism just to keep a spot on the stage. Otherwise he knows he is gone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Seems a lot of people selling toilet paper for a profit on ebay

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Has this thing got to Rio yet? I can only imagine places like India and Brazil.

Bangladesh is packed to the gills with little in the way of medical services.  Tinderbox there.  That's the worst one I can think of.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RUSF18 said:

He's pretty close to taking his ball and going home. 

2 minutes ago, Sand said:

Bangladesh is packed to the gills with little in the way of medical services.  Tinderbox there.  That's the worst one I can think of.

And home to a Rohinga refugee camp with over 900k people in it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

IMO Fauci has to show some optimism just to keep a spot on the stage. Otherwise he knows he is gone.

My exact thought as well. He probably has calculated that his influence, such that it is, will do more good by staying in his current position as opposed to fighting small battles that he won't win anyway and then becoming sidelined.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

What perks do you get with the premium?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

He's pretty close to taking his ball and going home. 

If you don't quit by the count of 3...

1, 2, 2 1/4, 2 1/2...

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

This is my state honestly

This is all of our states. Very worrisome.

• Like 1

@NateSilver538

A week ago, New York state had 87 detected coronavirus cases per 1m citizens

Here's where a lot of Southern states are *today*... the number of *detected* cases.

LA: 298 per 1m
MS: 107 per 1m
TN: 98 per 1m
GA: 98 per 1m
AR: 72 per 1m
FL: 66 per 1m
SC: 59 per 1m
AL: 44 per 1m

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mile High said:

I made a Target run today to top off our pantry on a few items.  I live 45 minutes away from the nearest Target, and I also needed to run a few other errands, so it wasn't just a Target trip, but whatever.  It was pretty dead at 9:30 am.  Nothing was out of stock except hand sanitizer (expected) and yeast.  So I stopped off at a nearby grocery store, and they were out of yeast too.  The reason why I was looking for yeast is because our local grocery was out of it when my wife went on Friday.  WTF is up with people buying yeast?  That seems incredibly random.

Looks like Spain made one last update for the day.  Up 6,922 and 680 on the day 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

:goodposting:

(I was just going to give your post a "Like". Then I was going to give it a "Thanks". Then I realized that neither gesture was sufficient. So, you get a "Love" and a ":goodposting"" and if Joe added a "Gold Star" button I'd give you that too. Thank you.)

I don't know what needs to be done to make the "Gold Star" happen, but it should.  This is really a good idea. 

Oh, and corona virus sucks. 

• Like 1

Atlanta already being out of ICU beds seems extremely ungood. 

• Love 1
  • Sad 3

huge Gaming conference in SF I was supposed to be at last week just rescheduled

GDC has announced the new dates this summer: August 4-6, same location. [https://www.gdconf.com/gdc-summer-2020](https://www.gdconf.com/gdc-summer-2020)

32 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Doesn't do me any good, wife is WFH also!

5 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I made a Target run today to top off our pantry on a few items.  I live 45 minutes away from the nearest Target, and I also needed to run a few other errands, so it wasn't just a Target trip, but whatever.  It was pretty dead at 9:30 am.  Nothing was out of stock except hand sanitizer (expected) and yeast.  So I stopped off at a nearby grocery store, and they were out of yeast too.  The reason why I was looking for yeast is because our local grocery was out of it when my wife went on Friday.  WTF is up with people buying yeast?  That seems incredibly random.

Lotta people baking their own bread. Flour is scarce as well. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I don't know what needs to be done to make the "Gold Star" happen, but it should.  This is really a good idea.

Meh.  It will just get overused and it's meaning diluted like everything else meant to be reserved for extremes like "awesome" and "genius".

Edited by Jayrod
  • Laughing 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

New Yorkers, please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't DeBlasio the one pushing for a quarantine in New York last week? Only to have Cuomo shoot it down and say it's a decision that can only come from him. Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of Cuomo throughout this, just trying to wrap my head around this disconnect.

Cuomo questioned the legality of wether even the state could do that.

But in reality it would not have been effective unless you could simultaneously order shelter in place for Long Island, Connecticut & New Jersey. Because if you lock down the five boroughs people would have fled en masse to family & friends in the surrounding areas.

Its much ado about nothing at this point as all of those areas adopted some form of restrictions.

1 minute ago, Tom Skerritt said:

Lotta people baking their own bread. Flour is scarce as well. 

That's the only explanation I could come up with, but it seems stupid.  Who the hell bakes their own bread?  We are not in any danger of running out of bread.  Then again, we're also not in any danger of running out of toilet paper and paper towels, and we see what's happening there, so never mind I guess.  People are idiots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1