What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

Or what every other country has experienced with this when they went through the ramp up phase, correct?
correct.  We were at a rate faster than that for a while...may have been a temporary blip, or it could be from lack of testing previously underreporting the number of deaths early on.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/nyregion/100000007052136/coronavirus-elmhurst-hospital-queens.html

Chilling video from a NYC hospital at the center of this. I’ve never been more ashamed of this country. So many failures that led to this. 
Not to downplay the severity there but one of my first posts in here was a comment that I would be avoiding catching this because my local hospital is that one, Elmhurst. That place is a nightmare on a regular day. I've taken my in-laws there and had to wait hours for a room. They've shut down so many hospitals here in NY and especially in Queens over the past couple of decades, it is no surprise that the system is ill-prepared for this.. 

St. John's (pictured in this article) was walking distance from my house. It is now converted to apartments 

This is me. I followed orders and stocked food for a couple weeks a couple weeks ago. So it was time for more today. First time I have left the house. I sat in Walmart's parking lot for ten minutes watching "those people" and thinking of the many hundred others passing through already. I went to Albertson's. Sat in the parking lot... couldn't go in. Driving home I saw the convenience store closest to my house. Not a car in the parking lot. So I thought, milk, eggs, bread, booze, other junk, why not? So I parked, and feeling a little foolish I put on nitrile gloves and a mask.

At the front door was an employee in gloves and a mask wiping down every product before stocking. In an aisle was another employee wiping down every stocked product one at a time. I've been there hundreds of times, it has never been so pristine. The owner was there keeping his distance, gloves no mask. I ransacked the place filling my Trader Joe's cooler and two other bags that were in it. The owner asked me if I needed TP, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, sanitary wipes. I said no. He's keeping that stuff in a back room. Of course the check out clerk was wearing gloves and a mask. He asked cash or card. I said card. He sprayed the number pad and wiped it then slid it to me. $248.73. I got stuff, lotsa stuff. 

THEN before getting in my car I put my gloved hands in my jacket pockets. I sprayed them soon as I got home. So, my reaction to being in public spaces makes me wonder...
GB that guy for running a store where he cares for his customers that much.

Seems like there are stories like this everywhere. Our country has failed miserably in Social Distancing 101. 
I see the opposite.

From what I can see and I talk to friends across the country, the vast majority of the country is doing excellent with social distancing. 

But nobody talks about that. 

It's certainly not 100%. But my sense is the vast majority of people are doing this very well. 

good news: 2 days in a row my 40% daily increase model over predicted.  It's hard to say what I need to do to adjsut the model, but any adjustmeny I make isn't changing the aggregate numbers too much - it's still a lot when you project out another week or two.   Based on China and italy, I don't expect to see a reduction resulting from mitigation efforts (i.e. social distancing) until April 5th, so I don't think the reduction is that - I think it's just natural variation.  

If I were to assume a 35% daily increase (which models the last couple of days a bit closer), we would expect 362 fatalities today, and 21k culmulative by April 5th.  Sound impossible?  at Italy's peak, March 21, there was 4825 culmulative deaths.  The US is over 5x the size of Italy in terms of population.  4825*5=24125.   Hopefully we can crest well before that.

That 35% daily increase: that's roughly doubling every two days rate.
That's great news and thank you for sharing that. This is for the entire U.S.? 

I see the opposite.

From what I can see and I talk to friends across the country, the vast majority of the country is doing excellent with social distancing. 

It's certainly not 100%. But my sense is the vast majority of people are doing this very well. 
Not sure what "country" you are talking about but if it includes the United States and the north east... umm nope. 

I see the opposite.

I agree.  The social distancing measures are definitely happening.  Movie theaters, restaurants, malls, theme parks, public transportation, work places, schools....all these places are closed and that is likely reducing the spread dramatically.

The key is that we can't let up.  Gotta keep doing what we're doing for another 2-4 weeks.  If we can, then maybe we can open the quarantine, alongside a massive testing initiative and do some serious contact tracing as well.  Do all those things and this can be eradicated in 2 months.  

That's the hope and the goal.  Of course we don't have any data to prove that this will work, so we really need to see Italy/Spain's numbers start to fall soon so we can have some hope that this strategy will actually work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the opposite.

I hope so, and thank you for sharing. News stories likely aren't going to focus on "look at how many people are doing the right thing!", they are going to focus on the sensational if possible, so it is easy to get the idea that so many people aren't taking this seriously.

I agree.  The social distancing measures are definitely happening.  Movie theaters, restaurants, malls, theme parks, public transportation, work places, schools....all these places are closed and that is likely reducing the spread dramatically.

The key is that we can't let up.  Gotta keep doing what we're doing for another 2-4 weeks.  If we can, then maybe we can open the quarantine, alongside a massive testing initiative and do some serious contact tracing as well.  Do all those things and this can be eradicated in 2 months.  

That's the hope and the goal.  Of course we don't have any data to prove that this will work, so we really need to see Italy/Spain's numbers start to fall soon so we can have some hope that this strategy will actually work.
This. Thank you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So, a friend of mine who works in epidemiology at the CDC says that the White House has asked the department for a county-by-county assessment of confirmed COVID-19 cases so they can start issuing “back-to-work” suggestions for counties that they will designate as “low risk” with few/no current cases.

Needless to say, the mood over at Clifton Rd is not good over this ridiculousness.

Did I read that correctly?

I have a 17 year old senior. There will be no relief check for her?
It’s in line with the tax code. You lose the child tax credit when they turn 17. My kids are both in college. They filed their own tax returns this year, but I still claimed them as dependents. I’m not getting the $500 for them. I don’t know if they’ll get their own $1200.

Was it discussed here that GM is no longer going to be making ventilators? The government backed out saying it was too expensive and there was worry they would end up with too many ventilators. They are now looking at more options.
In other words, GM couldn't make a profit at the price the government was willing to pay for them. 

It’s in line with the tax code. You lose the child tax credit when they turn 17. My kids are both in college. They filed their own tax returns this year, but I still claimed them as dependents. I’m not getting the $500 for them. I don’t know if they’ll get their own $1200.
Curious about this as well.

So, a friend of mine who works in epidemiology at the CDC says that the White House has asked the department for a county-by-county assessment of confirmed COVID-19 cases so they can start issuing “back-to-work” suggestions for counties that they will designate as “low risk” with few/no current cases.

Needless to say, the mood over at Clifton Rd is not good over this ridiculousness.
I saw this and have mixed feelings.  In theory it should work.  China didn't shut down their whole country, they shut down the affected areas. But to make this decision, you have to be confident in your county-by-county numbers and nationwide testing has to be comprehensive.  If it's not, it's a recipe for absolute disaster.  If the government opens up a county that is designated as low risk, but really has 100 people with the virus, it becomes a hot spot in 2 weeks.

Not to downplay the severity there but one of my first posts in here was a comment that I would be avoiding catching this because my local hospital is that one, Elmhurst. That place is a nightmare on a regular day. I've taken my in-laws there and had to wait hours for a room. They've shut down so many hospitals here in NY and especially in Queens over the past couple of decades, it is no surprise that the system is ill-prepared for this.. 

St. John's (pictured in this article) was walking distance from my house. It is now converted to apartments 
They did this all across the city. Closing hospitals to build luxury apartments. The hospital all three of my kids were born at is now luxury condos. So absurd. 

reddit should make an ongoing list of companies that arnt cooperating with the shutdown. so everyone can avoid them in the future
my company is staying open, and i'm thankful for that (we make a claim that we are essential).   If we shut down, there's no guarantee we would re-open.  We are encouraged to WFH but the manufacturing lines obviously can't do that.  They are taking every precaution they can to keep workers safe.

if they're claimed as dependents, they get zero according to what I have seen.

I saw this and have mixed feelings.  In theory it should work.  China didn't shut down their whole country, they shut down the affected areas. But to make this decision, you have to be confident in your county-by-county numbers and nationwide testing has to be comprehensive.  If it's not, it's a recipe for absolute disaster.  If the government opens up a county that is designated as low risk, but really has 100 people with the virus, it becomes a hot spot in 2 weeks.
IIRC, China shut the entire country down for a few weeks to a month and re-opened slowly and deliberately.

my company is staying open, and i'm thankful for that (we make a claim that we are essential).   If we shut down, there's no guarantee we would re-open.  We are encouraged to WFH but the manufacturing lines obviously can't do that.  They are taking every precaution they can to keep workers safe.
i meant bars etc. non essential places that are saying F the man im gonna do what im gonna do

similar to kid rocks bar

Cuomo is making a great case for a run for the presidency.  I know New Yorkers who are staunch republicans who said (in fact just yesterday) that they'd vote for Cuomo in a heartbeat if he were an option in the upcoming election. 
I was one fo the first who lean Right to praise him and continue to support him right now. I would like to see him talked about more after this crisis passes and we have to see what happens over the coming weeks as this peaks in NYC.  The Mods and JB have asked for no politics and I want to respect their wishes. So I won't take that part any further however...

-People want to rally around leaders in times of crisis and your Governor is doing an outstanding job of being a great leader right now. His Letter or symbol of whichParty he represents shouldn't matter right now and it doesn't. It doesn't help morale to feel abandoned by the people you elect but Cuomo is displaying tremendous leadership in a time of crisis. He isn't the first elected official in the great State of New York to respond in a moment of crisis, it's happened a few times there over the last 25-30 years. 

Stay Strong!!!

Good news out of New York - Hospitalization Rate Drops, PPE Need Filled

According to messages from Governor Andrew Cuomo (D-NY), medical staffers have enough proactive gear for the immediate future and the rate of hospital admission in COVID-19 cases has decreased since Sunday.

During a Thursday press conference, Cuomo assured the public that there is enough personal protective equipment, or “PPE,” for medical health officials in the immediate future. The governor told reporters that his team has spoken to every hospital in the hard-hit coronavirus area and they confirmed their PPE needs are being met

I would think they would get 1200 then. Does not seem right to cut so many people out of the benefit and honestly we need it. She is asking me for a college sign up fee and right now we don't have it. That money would be the sign up fee.

I was one fo the first who lean Right to praise him and continue to support him right now. I would like to see him talked about more after this crisis passes and we have to see what happens over the coming weeks as this peaks in NYC.  The Mods and JB have asked for no politics and I want to respect their wishes. So I won't take that part any further however...

-People want to rally around leaders in times of crisis and your Governor is doing an outstanding job of being a great leader right now. His Letter or symbol of whichParty he represents shouldn't matter right now and it doesn't. It doesn't help morale to feel abandoned by the people you elect but Cuomo is displaying tremendous leadership in a time of crisis. He isn't the first elected official in the great State of New York to respond in a moment of crisis, it's happened a few times there over the last 25-30 years. 

Stay Strong!!!
Don't give an arsonist too much credit for calling 911

1) we are already passed the timeframe China implemented their tactics, and if this is something for the "Easter reopen plan" it will be even further past China's timeframe.

2) people in China were being tracked everywhere they went. Going to a public building, they get scanned and logged. Getting on a train they get scanned and logged. Getting off a train they get scanned and logged, etc, etc.... everywhere. If the virus shows up somewhere, they know exactly where it traveled and take appropriate action to isolate it. There is absolutely no way the USA can know that. Even a 1,000 population town can cause havoc for us all when we don't know all the touch points that town has had with the rest of the country. 

I see the opposite.

I think a lot of people are doing well.  And many places.

But there are still many that don't care.

Was picking up an order at target the other day (as they were the only place near by that had distilled water...both for my cpap and my sinus rinse that is pretty important to me this time of year).  Waiting at the customer service counter...3 employees  come up behind me and start chatting a few feet from me and another walks up.  I would have loved to have seen video of me turning around and the look I gave them.

The person that takes that order does so with a little phone thing...which you then have to sign with your finger.  Thankfully...I was there with hand sanitizer immediately after.  You would think they can work out a way to have that done without touching things after I had paid online.  Given how they were acting...the bags the things were in stayed in the car and everything else got wiped down before it came in the house.

Ive also noticed plenty of places that are still quite busy...and I know a couple places in Mt. Juliet just outside of Nashville still were allowing dine in up until a few days ago.  

The problem is that how this spreads...it doesn't take all that many not complying or taking it seriously...to mess this all up.  Im glad many are doing what they are supposed to...I hope some will see that and do the same.

You’re right. Not every single person in the northeast is practicing social distancing. Might as well pack it all up since we don’t have that 100% adherence rate.

Here’s your cookie: 🍪
I travel from Midwest Pa to Del and NJ and the only places I have seen it is at Costco where its forced and my own businesses. I will traveling up to NY today and I am sure that I will once again see people act as if little is going on. My point is that not that NOBODY is practicing SD, but the majority are not. 

Sinai? If so, I believe that's where my Uncle is head of the OBGYN division/services. Or had been, not sure if he still is (has been struggling through Cancer 😕 )

Was picking up an order at target the other day (as they were the only place near by that had distilled water...both for my cpap and my sinus rinse that is pretty important to me this time of year). 
Dont take this as criticism for going out, i sincerely mean this as a fun suggestion to do at home with kids (although i admit i dont know for sure if you have any at home, i think so, but not +), have you thought about trying to make your own? 

This also assumes we can control / manage / eliminate inter-city and interstate travel.  My guess is when China locks down a region, folks REMAIN.  If China allows business to go forward in certain regions, but declares no one travels without meeting stringent criteria, my bet is people listen / are forced to listen).

It only takes a few folks going from an infected area to spread the virus to a "former" safe zone here, or someone from a safe zone venturing out to I dont know, spring break, churchh services with a 1000 of their closest friends, some hoops game...

How long might we be shut down if no precautions were taken, the spread becomes 2-5 times as great, and we are paralyzed not for one quarter, but for a half year or year? Just economically, not even considering that pesky thing called life.

The number of people, including many local and national "leaders" seem to value money over life - at nearly all costs.  Damn America, I know we are driven by the almighty dollar and materialistic gain.  But really?

Users who are viewing this thread