Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

The deputy health minister of Iran is now being reported positive for the virus. 

13 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Can someone help me with my doomsday kit? What should I get besides canned tuna and bottles of water?

While it is always a good idea to have spare water for all emergencies  a coronavirus outbreak is unlikely to affect the water supply.   Stock up on canned, frozen and dry foods, tp, bleach/disinfectants, cleaning products and medicines.   

On Sunday, my daughter was returning to Riva San Vitale, Switzerland from Naples ,Italy and had to make a train change in Milan.  She said the train station was as busy as usual (which surprised me) and that there were loudspeaker messages in multiple languages  warning of the coronavirus and everybody was wearing face masks ( which is not normal for this area).  She commented that she felt like she was living in Japan again...

A dystopian look into aspects of the "post quarantine" future? :unsure: 

A post from Shanghai, one month after lockdowns

My impressions from Shanghai, China: one month later, a wartime economy (Feb 25)

We here in Shanghai have entered a new phase in the fight against the epidemic as over the past few weeks (Feb 10, Feb 17 and Feb 24) there has been a staggered return to work for some people who can't work remotely and managed to return to Shanghai before they effectively closed down the city (more below). 

Its been two weeks since my last update on Feb 8 (my VPN was blocked for a week which is in itself news, I guess) and one month has passed since the epidemic finally became widely known, a short time that has changed life as we know it and turned old certainties upside down. In the meantime, the city government has enacted a flurry of new measures to manage the heightened risk of a new outbreak given so many people are commuting every day again, and as the virus is now spreading around the globe, you may find the following interesting as a "post from the future" of measures coming to a place near you soon!

Some people have called the return to work a return to normalcy, but it is really anything but: this society now only works with the strongest intrusion into freedom of movement and privacy possible (even by Chinese standards). Most tourist sites, museums, gyms, parks, even all temples and churches (as much vindicated by the developments in Korea!) remain shut, most stores close early at 5 or 6pm (even in the main downtown shopping street) until at least March 1,and schools remain closed beyond that date even (with many opting for online classes).

Moreover, we are effectively locked into the city (though not the compound), even if that is only de-facto and not explicitely spelt out (as so often in China): since Feb 14, the city has been enacting an elaborate set of rules of  who can enter the city (for example, you need to provide documents proving you either live or work here) that is strictly enforced on all borders and modes of transportation. Those returning from 'key affected areas' (which could be as close as Zhejiang province with much-stricken Wenzhou) are placed under mandatory home quarantine for 2 weeks, and even by mid month as many as 100,000 people were undergoing quarantine at home or at "central places" (Shanghai Daily) already.  Similiar measures are in place in many od the other major cities you'd want to visit, such as Hangzhou or Beijing. The bottom line is that even with spring arriving and blossoms everywhere, tourism is effectively dead and the risk of either being denied return to the city or being locked up for 2 weeks (as always the law is vague and interpretation  depends on the respective check point and official) is too great to really travel anywhere, even just to nearby villages beyond the city border (interprovincial metro extension has been shut down weeks ago).

New masks for purchase are still nowhere to be found, with the poorest members of society such as beggars and the homeless segregated by their lack of masks and susceptibility to the sickness, while the new middle class sport the most fancy gas masks, goggles and protection suits. Apart from a rampant black market of (sometimes counterfeit) masks, the only avenue to new masks is the government distribution scheme, which allows the purchase of simple surgical masks with appointment at designated pharmacies and times. So far, I have been able to "scoop" 2 bags of only 5 masks each. I'm on my last package of N95 masks. Reading that only 600K of these masks are produced for the entire country, I have given up hope to get hold of these for the foreseeable future, reflecting how panic and disbelief about the situation has now been replaced by resignation. The economy is restarting slowly and with many restrictions, but normal life is nowhere to be seen; the machine is running again but with no margin for error and no leisure time allotted. 

With people getting back to work, how does the city manage the increased masses and density of people during rush hour (while nowhere near normal amounts - there's still seats to spare on the trains opposed to sardine tin squeezing)? Masks are mandatory in all public places, all subway stations do temperature checks (many by advanced thermal imaging) and in fact, these checkpoints exist almost everywhere now: residential communities, shopping malls, supermarkets, tourist sites (those few still open), bar streets,  business buildings and even (or especially?) fast food restaurants. In many cases, the temperature check is accompanied with a mandatory registration (paper and pen - hand sanitizer provided fortunately) of name, phone number and in some cases (as I've seen for business buildings) even ID/passport. The point of which is of course if any worker or visitor to a place were to fall sick, they could quickly track down and lock up all other visitors who may have the misfortune to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Imagine getting your fix at local McDonald's by having a guy in hazmat suit measure your temperature and writing down your personal contact info! There is a pervasive feeling of threat looming as failing any official temperature check (which is as low as 37.3°C - Asians have lower base body temperature) could get you locked up at home or worse, one of the mass quarantine centers. Normalcy? Not much.

Residential communities have also strengthened controls. They are the major line of defense against spreading, as these compounds would enforce the mandatory two week quarantine of returning workers by being in touch with the border crossing officials (you need to provide proof of residence). Suited up guards will hand everyone who is allowed to leave a color-coded exit slip (prevent reusing) at the only remaining entrance/exit, which you need to present on return to prove you live there. On return, temperature will be measured and any visitors or other non-residents are not allowed into the compound (that includes deliverymen so packages pile up outside the gate - those that do deliver at all). The state mobile companies now provide a "service" of using phone triangulation records to provide you with a travel history that is accepted as evidence for your whereabouts - a reminder that no matter the front, the government and party controls everything and may co-opt any (private or not) business and property for the battle against the virus. 

Nevertheless, there is much evidence that many workers could not return to the city at all so far (with bigger and wealthier companies even opting for direct charter flights to return their workforce due to disruption of public transportation and travel restrictions throughout the country), especially among the large, semi-legal migrant worker population who'd propably not have the necessary paperwork. I noticed unlike other years, one month after Chinese New Year construction sites are still idle and New Year decorations were not removed even though even planned (and cancelled) activities ended two weeks ago after am lantern festival. Workers should have returned immediately after that date. Also, while much has been speculated about the "online economy" taking over, in fact apart from food deliveries many deliveries do not arrive at all as there seems to be severe shortage in people and disruption to the process. Add to that many brick and mortar stores not opening at all for weeks since either its cheaper for them to close (and not pay workers) than open and have no customers, or not being allowed to open as a businesses must prove they have strict hygiene and quarantine procedures in place (provide health documentation and travel records for all workers) , and the economic outlook does not look rosy at all.

In recent days, major downtown subway lines have cut running times to as early as 9.30pm (another escalation in restrictions I nearly missed as it was communicated very subtly only through chinese language announcements in stations) and after 6pm as well as on weekends when people do not have to go to offices for work, not much has changed compared to the time immediately after the extended spring festival holiday earlier this month: even downtown, streets are deserted from people and cars as nobody goes out without necessity, shops are shuttered and as the city grows quiet and dark, the only reminder of ongoing life are the ubiquitous screens in the streets and on skyscrapers that play the "Keep Fighting Wuhan! Keep Fighting China!" song, praise the medical heroes (co-opting and redirecting the recent outrage about the death of Dr. Li) and provide health education (sometimes including, somewhat amusingly, the advice not to eat bats!) - a zombified city being not quite dead and not quite alive. 

This is our "wartime economy"; the front line may be far away and the enemy invisible, but the impact on our lives is felt everywhere.

---

Wow... 

I couldn’t find masks at Walgreen’s. 

I need to steal some from work. They won’t miss a few. 

When asked for advice for people from countries where the virus hasn't hit yet, the individual from Shanghai above said: 

"Apart from the usual (masks, cleaning and desinfection products, food stockpile), here's some more philosophical advice: expect the unexpected, plan for double and triple backups, slow down and live life more consciously - while things are still normal."

14 hours ago, [icon] said:

No need. Got a bunch in mid January... you guys can have your long lines next to coughing/sneezing carriers 👍

How many is a bunch? This seems like a long term thing, a bunch in January might be a relatively short supply when the rubber meets the road. Just curious

12 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Went to my local grocery store tonight, saw 5 people with masks on.  Two were cashiers. 

This makes a lot of sense, your interaction with the outside world is limited to what you need it to be i.e. I'm going to the market for a can of soup, checking out and heading right back home. Cashiers are stuck in basically the same spot for 6-8 hours entertaining all manners of humanoids in various states of health. I'd wear a level C suit at a minimum.

Edited by beer 30

We finally got a message back from our friend in Hubei last night.  She had gone about 6 days before she replied to our last text.  She was moved from the orphanage to the hospital probably 2-3 weeks ago.   

She said she was fine, but had been separated from her phone because her mom had it.  A lot gets lost in translation when texting back and forth with her.  

Basically, it sounded like she is stuck in the hospital she works at and she can't leave.   Which I guess is common?  Such an awful situation there right now.  

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

I wouldn’t go throwing home brews at this virus until we know more about it, or you do some research that backs the science of what you’re specifically trying to achieve (what biological process(es) you’re trying to influence.) Probably no harm in it, but harkens me back to when cardiologists in the 80s prescribed low fat diets that caused insulin resistance and an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

You may think you’re closing a door, only to find you’re opening a window. 

All 16 reported cases in Vietnam recovered.   No new cases reported since February 13.   

Link

• Like 3

The major problem with these masks are that they’re made in China where the demand is . How are people in construction going to deal with a shortage 

It seems once you ID the likely hot spots it can be contained.  This whack a mole approach seems annoying but sustainable.

Just now, HellToupee said:

The major problem with these masks are that they’re made in China where the demand is . How are people in construction going to deal with a shortage 

Start hiding bandannas 

I read up on the procedures with masks, and what I ended up thinking was I'd end up contaminating myself taking it off anyway, like most people will.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8_3CGQnx6H/

Health officials are warning that the spread of coronavirus in the United States appears inevitable. The comments were made in separate briefings to lawmakers and reporters on Tuesday, marking an escalation in tone and urgency.“Ultimately we expect we will see community spread in the United States,” Nancy Messonnier, a top official at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters. “It’s not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses.” 

23 hours ago, Capella said:

No. Ham actually bought a Costco. 

lmfao - I just spit my lunch out.  Thanks for that.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NREC34 said:

I left work early and went to Sam’s Club. It was really slow. Lot better than going on the weekend. Got 3 cases of water and a big bag of rice and a few other things. 

I saw one other guy getting a lot of water. Don’t think a lot of folks are real worried. I bet most people don’t even know about it. 

I asked my immediate family if anybody was doing any "prepping".  My SIL's reply "what's Coronavirus?".   :lmao:

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

7 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I asked my immediate family if anybody was doing any "prepping".  My SIL's reply "what's Coronavirus?".   :lmao:

My SIL would say the same thing.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jplvr said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8_3CGQnx6H/

Health officials are warning that the spread of coronavirus in the United States appears inevitable. The comments were made in separate briefings to lawmakers and reporters on Tuesday, marking an escalation in tone and urgency.“Ultimately we expect we will see community spread in the United States,” Nancy Messonnier, a top official at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters. “It’s not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses.” 

Not according to Rush.

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

Not according to Rush.

Rush is a ####### nut. I just caught about 5 min of him coming back from lunch, "this is nothing more than the common cold", is not what a person who has an audience in the millions should be saying.

• Like 1

More quotes from Dr. Messonier:

“It’s not so much of a question of if this will happen in this country any more but a question of when this will happen,” said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

She said that public health officials have no idea whether the spread of the disease to the United States would be mild or severe, but that Americans should be ready for a significant disruption to their daily lives.

“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” Dr. Messonnier said.

The secretary of health and human services delivered an equally sobering message on Tuesday. The secretary, Alex M. Azar II, told a Senate committee, “This is an unprecedented, potentially severe health challenge globally.”

Federal and local health departments will need as many as 300 million masks for health care workers and additional ventilators for hospitals to prepare for a major outbreak of coronavirus, he said.

link

Just looked at Amazon.   Plenty of reusable N99 masks left with replacement filters.   Seems like people may only be searching for N95?

38 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Rush is a ####### nut. I just caught about 5 min of him coming back from lunch, "this is nothing more than the common cold", is not what a person who has an audience in the millions should be saying.

:shrug: the people listening to him are probably going to be the ones who catch the brunt of this. Hope they aren’t listening to him. 

Italy update

Switzerland update

Things just got a whole hell of a lot worse in Italy. My daughter says that cities are being shut down and trains are being rerouted/  completely stopped. My daughter is on no travel to any of Italy.  Lugano Switzerland has its first case. They expect more because this past weekend was Carnivale

Edited by Oracle
Links

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

:shrug: the people listening to him are probably going to be the ones who catch the brunt of this. Hope they aren’t listening to him. 

I guarantee they are. So many blindly lead people in this country, it's scary.

The herd gets thinned one way or the other I guess.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Just looked at Amazon.   Plenty of reusable N99 masks left with replacement filters.   Seems like people may only be searching for N95?

Just ordered 3 for my family.  Expected delivery one month from tomorrow.  Hope we won't need them at all, but if so hope that is soon enough.

9 minutes ago, facook said:

Just ordered 3 for my family.  Expected delivery one month from tomorrow.  Hope we won't need them at all, but if so hope that is soon enough.

A month?  Did you look at your local home depot/lowes?  Ours had plenty last I checked.

3 minutes ago, Random said:

A month?  Did you look at your local home depot/lowes?  Ours had plenty last I checked.

Of the N99?  I have not.  I will though.  Thanks!

I have a box of 30 N95 masks from when we had smoke from fires a few months ago. 

38 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Link?

3 minutes ago, facook said:

Of the N99?  I have not.  I will though.  Thanks!

I did not look for N99, just N95.

10 hours ago, chet said:

For the science types, here's the Washington Post's take on how the virus kills and then a description from an advisor to Cytodyn as to why he thinks their drug will be an effective treatment:

This scares the #### out of me. Both my wife and daughter have weak immune systems.  

And my wife is a 1st grade teacher in a huge elementary school  

wife has a white blood cell issue and daughter is on a medicine for her juvenile arthritis that surprises some of her immune system.   

Edited by glvsav37

The most likely explanation for the origin of this:

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

The coincidence that this started right next to China's only BSL4 is mostly likely not.  Amazing that they routinely sell test lab animals.  Reminiscent of mad cow disease, but a whole lot worse.

And you have to love that the officials there just released a new directive - “Instructions on strengthening biosecurity management in microbiology labs that handle advanced viruses like the novel coronavirus.” Yeah, I'm sure that's coincidence, too.

(If this is a Honda, my apologies, no time to read the whole 45 pages).

Can you set up a quarantine in your house? I know most of us FBG have some spare wing or guest mansion we could close off and put an infected person, but is there anything a regular plebe could to to minimize Spreading it through the house if a family member has it? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Random said:

I did not look for N99, just N95.

Which one is better?  I just went to Lowe's and Wal Mart and they had N95.  Bought the last 10 between the 2 stores.   

@AP_Sports: IOC member Dick Pound says Tokyo Olympic organizers have until late May to see if the virus is under control. If not, "you're probably looking at a cancellation." http://apne.ws/K1Bal1k

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

@AP_Sports: IOC member Dick Pound says Tokyo Olympic organizers have until late May to see if the virus is under control. If not, "you're probably looking at a cancellation." http://apne.ws/K1Bal1k

In the running for goat name right?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

4 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

In the running for goat name right?

i try not to associate that name with livestock, sicko.

• Laughing 2