Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Just now, Angry Beavers said:

I care.. A LOT!  The problem is with people not willing to do what needs to be done and folks at higher risk who aren't willing to help themselves that is very frustrating for me.  After trying to do the right things and coming up on two weeks of self isolation as much as possible, I am left to wonder why am I bothering if so many will not help themselves.  I realize that is just frustration speaking to some extent, but frankly I am pretty concerned about the economy as well. I am willing to sacrifice the economy to save lives, but if folks won't do what needs to be done, I am questioning if such a strategy is worth it. 

Understood. It is worth it. Not that I'm anybody, but thank you for doing it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bcat01 said:
2 minutes ago, Keerock said:

Recipe's what?

/pickles

Soup and banana bread

:whoosh:

1 minute ago, Angry Beavers said:

I care.. A LOT!  The problem is with people not willing to do what needs to be done and folks at higher risk who aren't willing to help themselves that is very frustrating for me.  After trying to do the right things and coming up on two weeks of self isolation as much as possible, I am left to wonder why am I bothering if so many will not help themselves.  I realize that is just frustration speaking to some extent, but frankly I am pretty concerned about the economy as well. I am willing to sacrifice the economy to save lives, but if folks won't do what needs to be done, I am questioning if such a strategy is worth it. 

Never be frustrated when doing what is right.   People will wake up when this hits close to home.  April is going to be an ugly slap in the face to many.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

I'm no math super genius but the argument made here that supposedly blows the other one away seems to only be relying on deaths and TESTED positives. We really have no idea the level of infected. Not saying the first argument is valid either, just that until we can do massive testing nobody really knows jack.

Yes, but as @rcam pointed out above, common sense can tell us that ubiquity (absent other causes like multiple strains or other factors) should both show:

1. even distribution of severe cases everywhere 
  2. that socially distancing and quarantine, which can be observed to be working, would not have a correlative effect 

So not true that it’s spread wildly with a minority of cases with symptoms, let alone very few severe. 

However, I am willing based on how widely those who are getting tested, some with little to no symptoms, are testing positive that it’s fairly well spread beyond what we can observe, and with smaller % numbers of severe cases than feared, and an overall <1% mortality rate.

Truth may be somewhere closer to the numbers that have been reported of double digit hospitalizations and 3% mortality, but between that and more diluted numbers. We won’t know without testing widely for antibodies.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Otis said:

I mean, it's a fair question too though, isn't it?  What if those folks have mortgages they are going to struggle to afford now?  They have to sell and move?  What about young kids in schools?  What about their retirement savings?

I'm not picking a side in that debate, just saying everyone across all socioeconomic levels are going to be feeling all sorts of different types of hardships and pressures right now.  I'm not sure $160k family is necessarily any better off than $75k family, once you factor in things like cost of living and other circumstances.

Those are cute questions for competent societies in good times.  The supposed "hardship" of a family having to live on $75,000 is laughable compared to the actual issues being faced by people and society right now.

You might have to sell and move?  Explain it to the kids?  Retire later or on less?  Eat a little Ramen?  Tough.  Welcome to real world for the first time in your life, cupcake.  Cry me a ####ing river for the people in Palo Alto or Long Island who might have to move outside their bubbles and do without au pairs and chic neighborhood espresso cafes.  Hope your family members aren't dropping dead.  Lots are.

Edited by GawainB
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, DocHolliday said:

Never be frustrated when doing what is right.   People will wake up when this hits close to home.  April is going to be an ugly slap in the face to many.  

I hope you are wrong here, but I think a lot of us that runaway train picking up speed.. :sadbanana:

2 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

This is completely anecdotal but when I drove into NYC yesterday, I passed a MASSIVE drive through testing center that they've set up at Bear Mountain. It was unnerving to see. There were portable electric signs set up directing people to the test area and cops and national guard everywhere.  It was like an outdoor concert venue.  There had to have been 10-20 lanes of testing available.  Very freaky to see.  However,  there were no cars in line at all either time I passed it.  

So, I take that as either good news in that there are few new cases popping up in the area or very very bad in that they are still expecting a HUGE crush of patients. 

As for NYC, I drove from the GW Bridge to 57th and 5th Ave in 11 minutes (normal 35 mins to an hour). The only two humans I encountered were the doorman at the building and the Fed Ex guy who picked up my shipments.  Both were dressed like a regular day, no masks, no gloves.  I hope not to go in again until this is all over but will likely have to get in a time or two.  

Glad to hear you were able to do what you needed. The GWB to 57th and 5th in 11 minutes is practically a miracle. If you were able to ever do it in 35 minutes is surprising too, would expect an hour at least as you mentioned. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tamales said:

My brother, his wife, and 3 month old niece all have this. They got it from the wife's sister and fiance who both tested positive. They all have very very mild symptoms. Only one had a fever or cough. The rest just say feels like slight cold. Such a crazy virus. Im starting to think millions already have this. 

I was sick 3 weeks ago.  No fever but headache, sore throat, runny nose, head and then chest congestion.  Had a very minor cough.  I was over it in 10 days which is a little longer than I usually take to recover from a cold.   I don't think that I had Covid-19 but who the hell knows...

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Otis said:

I generally agree with you you have to draw the line somewhere.  No question.  I'm just saying a young family living on $150k on Long Island or the Palo Alto area, who were probably counting on that money to live, may struggle as much, or more than a family living on $75k in rural Kentucky.   

My family gets no help from this bill and we potentialy could suffer big time. But it's mostly my own fault. We overextended to move out of Brooklyn while keeping our house there.  I was about to close a cash out refi that would have set us straight but that has now been shelved by the bank.  If my tenants can't pay their rent, we will be screwed.  I'm tempted to try to work out something with the mortgage holder but that would completely destroy any chance of a refi this year if things return to normal.  And the company I work for may not make it.  

So yeah.  Would like to see a little something out of this for us "rich" folk.  

Edited by Nick Vermeil
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bradyfan said:

Daily updates from  New York City Department of Health web site for CORVID-19 Link 
COVID-19 Daily Data Summary: Total Cases (PDF, as of March 25, 9 a.m.) 
COVID-19 Daily Data Summary: Deaths (PDF, as of March 25, 9 a.m.) 
COVID-19 Daily Data Summary: Hospitalizations (PDF, as of March 24, 5 p.m.) 
NYC Emergency Department Surveillance Data (PDF, through March 24)

Younger people need to understand they are contributing to the burden on hospitals.  
In NYC, 18% of all cases require hospitalisation, of which 60% are under the age of 65.

NYC Hospitalisations by Age Group as of March 25 9AM 
 0 to 17 .....................28 (7% of 384 cases) 
18 to 44 ................ 629 (9% of 7,094 cases) 
45 to 64 .............. 1,061 (20% of 5,194 cases) 

65 to 74 ................ 550 (33% of 1,689 cases) 
75 and over ........... 615 (50% of 1,227 cases) 
Unknown .................. 0 (0% of 9 cases) 
TOTAL ...................... 2,883 (18% of 15,597 cases)

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

I'm glad the "Wal Mart Licker" was caught but I'm not sure how I feel about the charge of "Terrorist Threat". Absolutely NOT defending him or his behavior/crime. What he did is clearly wrong but it seems like what he did isn't what I normally perceive as a terrorist threat.

They tagged me with felony discharge of a missile back in the day for tossing a paper cup at a car that had cut me off

44 minutes ago, Angry Beavers said:

That was my impression as well that a lot of the travel out there was likely not necessary including the jackhole who cut me off in a merge lane.

Our order allows for outdoor recreation, travel to outdoor recreation, and stores that support it to be open

Pentagon orders 60 day freeze in place on US troop movements overseas. 

15 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

That's good. I just like supporting a hard working farm family of 10 that produces the best quality and long lasting products. Found these folks when I was starting chemo. Haven't experienced any quality better. Just sharing as many want to support small family owned businesses that this is one.

That great 🙂. I would have preferred to order from your place. The stuff I received smells like rubbing alcohol and I honestly don’t know for sure how it was made. No label on the bottle. At the time it was the only place I could find that said they still some in stock. I know my wife would prefer something that smells better! 

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Our order allows for outdoor recreation, travel to outdoor recreation, and stores that support it to be open

based upon the girth of the lady driving her minivan, there was no chance she was headed to the local track........... :shrug:

13 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I can foresee a future system where you put your stuff on a conveyor belt and it disappears into a room and reappears on the other side bagged. You pay a machine and never interact with a person.  

That would be awesome! :thumbup:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I was sick 3 weeks ago.  No fever but headache, sore throat, runny nose, head and then chest congestion.  Had a very minor cough.  I was over it in 10 days which is a little longer than I usually take to recover from a cold.   I don't think that I had Covid-19 but who the hell knows...

I babysat for my niece last Tuesday and on Friday I had 99.9 fever and some slight tightness in chest. Then the next day i felt 100%. Agreed, wtf knows. 

4 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

don't know how it got in the house but someone brought in a stomach bug.. lethal gas

You are in luck as that should help with social distancing should you venture outside.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Ham said:

Was able to access for free here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Need more data on how wide exposure has been. Obvious disparity in data models if a meaningful % of us have been exposed AND developed baseline immunity without symptoms. Bring on the wide scale blood study ASAP.

Also summary in New York Post:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/03/24/coronavirus-may-have-already-infected-half-of-uk-study-says/amp/

Thought: amazing best case news if remotely true. Also reveals how terribly unprepared we are globally to deal with this kind of a crisis, if it silently infected much of the world before we realized it.

The flip-side is that if much of the world has already been infected, and the relative severity of symptoms and mortality rates are quite low on a per capita basis, then maybe this won't be as severe a crisis as some may have estimated as long as the "curve" can be flattened enough to prevent health care infrastructure from becoming overwhelmed.

As it stands, I am resigned that I will get it along with my wife and 1st grader. I don't think we are going to see a magic bullet vaccine or a nationwide, coordinated response. I don't think herd immunity is anywhere in the cards for at least several more seasons of illness. We, as a nation, have pretty much failed on all fronts regarding this. What I am hoping for is to delay illness as long as reasonably possible to let Darwin sort out the masses. I am hoping that by the time I get sick the hospitals and health care system aren't strained because apparently there is a 1/6 - 1/5 chance I end up extremely ill. So far, we have sheltered in place - on our own volition - for about 2 weeks and have watched our neighbors hardly change their routines at all. It is sad really. One of our neighbors in our cul de sac died of the flu just 2 years ago but that seems lost on them. I figure I get in one good Costco run with gloves and mask next week and we are good until early-mid May. At which point, I suspect the US will look far different than it does now.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sand said:

That would mean the testing is missing a lot of people.  Here in my neck of the woods evidently we're running a 3% positive rate.  If this things has infected half of the UK everywhere in the world would be much higher.  I'm confused on how both can be true, unless the test accuracy is borked.

Head down to the 280 Home Depot.  Passed there today about 1 PM and the parking lot was jammed full.  

5 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

Head down to the 280 Home Depot.  Passed there today about 1 PM and the parking lot was jammed full.  

People hitting up the HD Pharmacy, no doubt.

13 minutes ago, tamales said:

I babysat for my niece last Tuesday and on Friday I had 99.9 fever and some slight tightness in chest. Then the next day i felt 100%. Agreed, wtf knows. 

my 4 year old has had a temp of 99 for three days now.  had flu back in January.

• Sad 4

33 minutes ago, Otis said:

I generally agree with you you have to draw the line somewhere.  No question.  I'm just saying a young family living on $150k on Long Island or the Palo Alto area, who were probably counting on that money to live, may struggle as much, or more than a family living on $75k in rural Kentucky.   

We are among the north of $150k young families. Truthfully, as nice as $3k sounds, it would do little for many of us here in the Bay Area. Our monthly costs are significantly higher. If it can go to others to help shore up the gig workers, part-timers, etc., I'd rather see it there. Their stability is my stability.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

The flip-side is that if much of the world has already been infected, and the relative severity of symptoms and mortality rates are quite low on a per capita basis, then maybe this won't be as severe a crisis as some may have estimated as long as the "curve" can be flattened enough to prevent health care infrastructure from becoming overwhelmed.

If that were true, we wouldn’t expect to see hotspots like New York and Seattle. It’s very likely not true.

47 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:

Singapore had a 13% bump in cases today

And it's pretty warm there.

Just now, Mr. Ham said:

If that were true, we wouldn’t expect to see hotspots like New York and Seattle. It’s very likely not true.

There are always going to be exceptions, particularly in densely populated areas, international hubs, etc.

What I'm saying, is a one-size fits all approach to managing this may not be ideal.

49 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Around here, there are some popular parks with playground equipment for kids, ballfields for softball, soccer, etc. and a large gymnasium that can house a few pickup games simultaneously. Plus walking trails, general open green space, etc. The local police have barricaded all ways in to drive to the parks. People can still park maybe 100 yards away, cross over some railroad tracks on foot (for the largest park) and enter the parks ... but the prohibition of cars has sharply curtailed the use of parks.

Same here. No parking lots are open to parks and such areas.

What time is the Coronavirus task force press conference today?

33 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

My family gets no help from this bill and we potentialy could suffer big time. But it's mostly my own fault. We overextended to move out of Brooklyn while keeping our house there.  I was about to close a cash out refi that would have set us straight but that has now been shelved by the bank.  If my tenants can't pay their rent, we will be screwed.  I'm tempted to try to work out something with the mortgage holder but that would completely destroy any chance of a refi this year if things return to normal.  And the company I work for may not make it.  

So yeah.  Would like to see a little something out of this for us "rich" folk.  

I would get started on the forbearance now. It should not affect your ability to refinance later. I've dealt with tons of clients over the last few years who have gone through that due to wildfires and it's never been an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Stopped at wegmans this morning for a few things

Crowd seemed normal fir a weekday morning I guess. Fresh produce was stocked more than when I was there a weekish ago. 

New this time was a sign at the end of the conveyor telling customers to wait here for direction. The clerk finished with the lady in front of me, then came around and sprayed/wiped down the belt and debit card machine. When she was done I was told I could enter and put my items on the belt 

FYI - I saw a commercial today that BK is giving 2 free kids meals with any purchase. May have to order with app, not sure. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

I haven't been able to find a contagious rate compared to other viruses.  I see everywhere that it is very contagious but haven't seen how the rate compares to other viruses.  Anybody have that info?

40 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Ventured out to the store for the first time in over a week. Noticed all the changes that will likely be a forever thing. 

Official grocery store themed signage about social distancing posted about as well as on the floor. A large section of plexiglass hastily affixed in front of the cashier. Side stepping two feet to the right and it’s completely wide open where you use the credit card machine. 

I can foresee a future system where you put your stuff on a conveyor belt and it disappears into a room and reappears on the other side bagged. You pay a machine and never interact with a person. 

Eventually never even having the option to choose your foot in some densely populated areas. 

Weird times 

Many grocery stores have self checkout where the dude next to you at another one is plenty distance apart. The line to use them would need markers for people to know where to stand. I never go through cashiers unless no choice. Less people touching my stuff the better.

Posted (edited)

Good chance the USA takes over the #1 spot in reported cases tomorrow.  If not, it will 100% happen on Friday.

Edited by shader
  • Sad 1

Just now, Gally said:

I haven't been able to find a contagious rate compared to other viruses.  I see everywhere that it is very contagious but haven't seen how the rate compares to other viruses.  Anybody have that info?

2.5 seems safe.  But this is a novel virus which is why it differs from the flu and other viruses.  No one has immunity. (that we know of)

• Sad 1

Looks like the Senate bill needs to be  rewritten.  The way it reads now if you loose your job you get your unemployment plus your full pay.  I would take a layoff if they pass the bill the way it is.

• Laughing 1

MN governor just issued a "Stay at home" order.

Which is a lot like strenuously objecting, but okay.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, shader said:

2.5 seems safe.  But this is a novel virus which is why it differs from the flu and other viruses.  No one has immunity. (that we know of)

So this means it is 2.5 times more contagious than other viruses?  How are they calculating that?  What are those numbers based on?

Edited by Gally

45 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I don’t understand why this stimulus was made in this manner.  Why not extend a safety net to those that lost their jobs no matter the income?   Sorry if this was already discussed but I missed a bunch of pages.  Fortunately, im still employed and busy as ever.   

Someone interviewed from the senate said this really isn't a stimulus package. It's trying to help those who need help the most. Even if they all go home after this, they will all be able to do more packages by voice. This led me to believe there will be a package #4. 

10 minutes ago, chet said:

What time is the Coronavirus task force press conference today?

5pm EST

38 minutes ago, The Captain said:

That great 🙂. I would have preferred to order from your place. The stuff I received smells like rubbing alcohol and I honestly don’t know for sure how it was made. No label on the bottle. At the time it was the only place I could find that said they still some in stock. I know my wife would prefer something that smells better! 

You could buy her a soap, hand sanitizer and lotion stick in a scent she likes. ;)

4 minutes ago, shader said:

Yeah, today's numbers look like they're going to be bad. I'd like to know when these tests were administered on the cases being confirmed today.

15 minutes ago, shader said:

Good chance the USA takes over the #1 spot in active cases tomorrow.  If not, it will 100% happen on Friday.

Interesting that we are about 5% of global population but around 12% of reported cases. I know. India, South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, Middle East all probably underreporting or just plain don't know.

26 minutes ago, Sandeman said:

We are among the north of $150k young families. Truthfully, as nice as $3k sounds, it would do little for many of us here in the Bay Area. Our monthly costs are significantly higher. If it can go to others to help shore up the gig workers, part-timers, etc., I'd rather see it there. Their stability is my stability.

I know its not logistically possible, but I wish there was a way some of us could opt out of this.  Also, I wish it was possible that we could somehow tie relief to future social security payments.  Like getting an advance on your SSI, but losing a year when you could then draw income.  Just talking out loud here.  These bills always have so much pork and never take into account location.  $1200- is SF Bay area is a bit different than Norman, OK. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Stopped at wegmans this morning for a few things

Crowd seemed normal fir a weekday morning I guess. Fresh produce was stocked more than when I was there a weekish ago. 

New this time was a sign at the end of the conveyor telling customers to wait here for direction. The clerk finished with the lady in front of me, then came around and sprayed/wiped down the belt and debit card machine. When she was done I was told I could enter and put my items on the belt 

FYI - I saw a commercial today that BK is giving 2 free kids meals with any purchase. May have to order with app, not sure. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

In APP order.  One of many "we don't need to see or touch you" commercials now airing.  This seems like an interesting new normal going forward.  Places advertising you don't need to see anyone or touch anything for service. 

• Like 2

Bay Area counties just extended school closures through May 1. School year ends end of May for most. Very likely there will be no more school this year.

That'll put a wrench into any "return to work" plans the Feds may have in mind. 

23 minutes ago, shader said:

Good chance the USA takes over the #1 spot in active cases tomorrow.  If not, it will 100% happen on Friday.

ALready happened