Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

9 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

States can't afford to lose the "sin tax" revenue on alcohol sales.

There is probably a shocking number of people in our society who are either borderline alcoholic or self-medicating with alcohol. I think if that Supply got cut off, it would cause some serious issues in our society.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chet said:

Who put it together and how often do they update it?

This has not been updated to my knowledge. It was generated weeks ago by a data scientist on Reddit AFAIR. 

5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

This has not been updated to my knowledge. It was generated weeks ago by a data scientist on Reddit AFAIR. 

Wow.  Almost 4MM people infected as of today?  HFS

2 hours ago, Shula-holic said:

Head down to the 280 Home Depot.  Passed there today about 1 PM and the parking lot was jammed full.  

I avoid that road pretty much anytime.  And I can't go anyway as my car battery decided today was the day it was gonna die.

2 hours ago, Gally said:

I haven't been able to find a contagious rate compared to other viruses.  I see everywhere that it is very contagious but haven't seen how the rate compares to other viruses.  Anybody have that info?

R0 of commonly spread diseases.  No wonder smallpox was so awful.  Incredibly high R0 and fatality rate.

And a good look at pandemics over the centuries.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys.  Quick question.  Since many of us are now working from home, has anybody discovered a way to stab one of their coworkers via Zoom?  Punching would be an acceptable alternative, but this person really needs a good stabbing to encourage them to change their behavior.  Any help is appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Ray McKigney said:

Alternate opinion. If you didn't already have enough booze to shelter in place for several months when this first was known, you are a rank amateur. 

Not really and what I'll present is one case of why liquor stores should remain open.

I worked at a liquor store for 3 years in college. Figured when I started would be a cool job,  college town, figured I'd see nothing but a bunch of fellow partying college kids at work. Job was actually awesome but was nothing like that.

Was basically the same middle to older aged customers every single day buying the same thing every single day. We had a drive through window and I used to be able to peek my head out at the cars in line and just walk around gathering up stuff because I already knew what they wanted. I called this line the "trail of tears".

Well my point is this. I asked a few of them why did they buy the same thing every single day, instead of like say buying several items and not coming back for a few days? The answer should have been obvious. Whatever they buy they are going to drink it all that night/next day. Their only method of constraint was to limit what they bought each day.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

This daily briefing just isn't productive the way it is structured when you have half the press there looking for a sound byte or a gotcha moment. 

This should be 15 minutes long--Trump comes out gives a statement--relevant people speak, no Q-A, end of story. Most of this stuff just isn't helpful or relevant--especially when the President goes off script. 

I look forward to Cuomo's daily briefing and I don't live in NY--guy has done a great job!!

Sorry not trying to get political--just making a quick observation and wanting answers. 

Edited by Courtjester
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Hey guys.  Quick question.  Since many of us are now working from home, has anybody discovered a way to stab one of their coworkers via Zoom?  Punching would be an acceptable alternative, but this person really needs a good stabbing to encourage them to change their behavior.  Any help is appreciated.

Contact their spouse, they’re likely looking for a good reason to do it.

• Like 2

Work finally contacted me. The word furlough was never used but I was told I would get my pto paid out and I should hit the unemployment line. Seems weird?

• Sad 6

18 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

There is probably a shocking number of people in our society who are either borderline alcoholic or self-medicating with alcohol. I think if that Supply got cut off, it would cause some serious issues in our society.

It shows how messed up our society is. Those without a med certificate are left to cope as they can.

4 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

This daily briefing just isn't productive the way it is structured when you have half the press there looking for a sound byte or a gotcha moment. 

This should be 15 minutes long--Trump comes out gives a statement--relevant people speak, no Q-A, end of story. Most of this stuff just isn't helpful or relevant--especially when the President goes off script. 

I look forward to Cuomo's daily briefing and I don't live in NY--guy has done a great job!!

Q-A would be fine if it was just the experts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

UPDATE: The model I've been following has us at 925 deaths today and 4 Million cases in the US. 

We're at 901 deaths at 4pm.... 

:unsure: 

That’s actually encouraging. Crossing the street would be higher risk

I just heard in the press briefing that we're testing more than anybody, and the tests we're using are the best tests.  Wonderful tests.

So we've got that going for us

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, prosopis said:

Work finally contacted me. The word furlough was never used but I was told I would get my pto paid out and I should hit the unemployment line. Seems weird?

Sorry, GB.  😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, prosopis said:

I’m so sorry man.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Statorama said:

I just heard in the press briefing that we're testing more than anybody, and the tests we're using are the best tests.  Wonderful tests.

So we've got that going for us

Kinda reminds me of Katrina.  Took the feds a while to get their act together, but when they did heaven and earth moved.  I'm sure we'll get lots of tests despite their lateness.  I'd like to see every person in the country tested on the same day, if possible.

12 minutes ago, prosopis said:

Bummed for you. What field are you in?

Wife went for a walk with the kids.     The basketball and tennis courts are totally packed there, lol.    

11 minutes ago, prosopis said:

This sucks.  So sorry.

I am not sure what line of work you are in, but if you can search for a new job, you should.  When this thing finally passes, and this place asks you to come back, if you haven't found a new job, you should go back, AND KEEP LOOKING.   You should never have been sitting at home wondering and waiting for them.  That is BS.  F them.  

This is about the crappiest way I can envision a company to handle this situation and I am sorry it happened to you. 

Stuff like this infuriates me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, matuski said:

I look forward to the fight to come between the rule followers and the rule breakers!

We still talking about that butt thing?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJ said:

Wife went for a walk with the kids.     The basketball and tennis courts are totally packed there, lol.    

:wall:

17 minutes ago, prosopis said:

Ooooof, sorry gb. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Schtick aside, how can anyone with a straight face claim that liquor stores are essential? 

Likely already posted, but they do t want people going through withdrawal and needing to detox in a hospital, taking up a bed.

• Like 2

I understand WHY amazon changed their delivery methods but it is a huge inconvenience. My son needs printer paper and a bluetooth keyboard for his remote learning and amazon don't deliver until april 23. This means I have to leave the house for non essential items and that's if stores are even open. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

My wife is a first grade teacher and trying to pioneer ways to lead a meaningful lesson ONLINE with several of her first graders.  I'm hearing her say things like:

"Ok, I'm going to mute everyone now.  When you are unmuted, you will be able to answer.  You have to raise your hand though."  (dang, she may want that feature IN CLASS!)
     "OH, there's <name>!  Everyone wave to <name>."

The interactive part is so crucial at this age.  Bless her heart, trying to make this all work.  She is recording herself read them books and trying to ask questions at the end to see who is viewing them.  Worksheets going out, etc. 

Edited by Sputnikv8
  • Like 5
  • Love 9

36 minutes ago, prosopis said:

damn man, really sorry to hear this.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sputnikv8 said:

My wife is a first grade teacher and trying to pioneer ways to lead a meaningful lesson ONLINE with several of her first graders.  I'm hearing her say things like:

"Ok, I'm going to mute everyone now.  When you are unmuted, you will be able to answer.  You have to raise your hand though."  (dang, she may want that feature IN CLASS!)
     "OH, theres <name>!  Everyone wave to <name>."

The interactive part is so crucial at this age.  Bless her heart, trying to make this all work.  She is recording herself read them books and trying to ask questions at the end to see who is viewing them.  Worksheets going out, etc. 

My son's 5th grade teacher posts videos and that's it. Meanwhile my son was borderline failing ELA although he was improving. They better not give me any #### about holding him back. 

1 hour ago, chet said:

Bernie is saying he will hold it up unless he gets the changes he's demanding. AOC also making noise.

if true, absolutely ridiculous. Hard to believe they wouldn't be smarter than that though, I hope this is just an incorrect report.

1 hour ago, chet said:
1 hour ago, CurlyNight said:

Where do you get this? It's still being written in the senate. The house is waiting to get the bill.

Bernie is saying he will hold it up unless he gets the changes he's demanding. AOC also making noise.

Missing some key information here -- Bernie is saying that he'll do that if the 3 GOP Senators (Sasse, Graham, Scott) who are currently holding things up over unemployment insurance don't back down.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chet said:

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1242896476872806402

Unless Republican Senators drop their objections to the coronavirus legislation, I am prepared to put a hold on this bill until stronger conditions are imposed on the $500 billion corporate welfare fund.

• Like 1

Just now, Sputnikv8 said:

"OH, theres <name>!  Everyone wave to <name>."

3 boys at home (6th, 2nd, K) and the teachers here in RI have been incredible. 6th grader seems fairly easy in that he logs into Google classroom with earbuds in and off they go. Thankfully, my city's School Dept. loans all students Chromebooks or we'd be low on devices to connect. The other 2 are given assignments and connect via Google classroom once or twice a week. Really awesome of them all to spend last week scrambling to pull all of this together. Gave up their own vacation week in the process b/c last week was a re-assigned "April Vacation" week.

Still going to nominate my wife for Teacher of the Year for what she has to do coordinating the living room madness that is a 2nd grader and Kindergartner working on assignments (paper and digital) and doing class "meetups" :lol:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, The Duff Man said:

Whoa. I wonder how effective though. I saw an interview that said even doubling is problematic as each patient needs their own settings for breathing.

46 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

That’s actually encouraging. Crossing the street would be higher risk

If I'm understanding correctly though deaths lag cases by at least a couple weeks?

2 minutes ago, chet said:

thanks for that, I guess I was dead wrong about the level of savvy on display.

pick a better time to quibble over politics, Bernard - a lot of people are about to get desperate out here and they're not gonna be happy with you.

ok, enough political discussion - my bad y'all.

35 minutes ago, DrJ said:

Hilarious

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

My friend who work at a hospital on SE Michigan said it must be like what a triage center in war zone is like. People that come in and get put on ventilators aren’t recovering but are falling off faster than anything he’s ever seen. The volume is already impossible to keep up with.

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Sad 10

8 hours ago, matuski said:

@Terminalxylem

There are exceptions.  One of my docs has sent his family to the ranch to isolate them there, and himself at home.

In general, point remains.

I'm not talking about HCWs isolating themselves. They're worrying about the scores of sick people, and the impact of the pandemic on local/national healthcare resources. And they're concerned they might become sick themselves.

Everybody I know in my hospital is convinced things are gonna get a lot worse, and this is gonna last months until we get it under control. My friends in other states feel the same. I'm not gonna look for your old posts, but that isn't remotely what you originally described.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah people shouldn’t necessarily get all bent out of shape by cars. I have a buddy who takes about 4 drives a day because he just needs to get out. My Dad just likes to take a drive daily

Yea what is the problem with that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DrJ said:

I understand tennis, but would catch and Lysol the ball every time my opponent hit it, before serving it back. 

Spain always does a morning and an evening update.  Their final numbers for the day weren't great.  

+7,457 cases and +656 deaths.  Their numbers are going in the wrong direction.

• Sad 2

46 minutes ago, DrJ said:

Tennis seems to be as perfect a sport for the six foot rule as possible. No?

Hoops? Probably the worst other than group cage match wrestling. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Koya said:

Tennis seems to be as perfect a sport for the six foot rule as possible. No?

Hoops? Probably the worst other than group cage match wrestling. 

Cuomo specifically said no basketball today.  It has to be the worst!

Edited by shader
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, tamales said:

I understand WHY amazon changed their delivery methods but it is a huge inconvenience. My son needs printer paper and a bluetooth keyboard for his remote learning and amazon don't deliver until april 23. This means I have to leave the house for non essential items and that's if stores are even open. 

Intend to agree... at the least, office and school supplies should have some priority. If not 2-3 days, then 7-10 days.

Thank goodness I acted fast for my home office needs (printer and stuff), and quality of life since I’m working from home and my place was way too much a divorcee crash pad... I now have the home of a semi functioning adult. Ordered half this stuff Friday, the other half Saturday, went to get a couple last minor items and some true luxuries / not necessities less than a day later and boom... April 21.  Without warning. 

God id be pissed (even if I’d understand why and in perspective I’m fine either way and could always just trudge out for some times) if I had almost pulled the trigger, didn’t, then went back to do so only to find out my 2-5 day window was now a month. 

4 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I'm not talking about HCWs isolating themselves. They're worrying about the scores of sick people, and the impact of the pandemic on local/national healthcare resources. And they're concerned they might become sick themselves.

Everybody I know in my hospital is convinced things are gonna get a lot worse, and this is gonna last months until we get it under control. My friends in other states feel the same. I'm not gonna look for your old posts, but that isn't remotely what you originally described.

They are not worried about the virus itself as anything more than it is... a respiratory disease.  Add it to the list.  They can and do treat patients with these symptoms (even without covid, respiratory disease has to be high on the list of causes of death?).

The logistical and procedural overload was always realized as a likelihood/probability....  the PPE shortage was not foreseen.

Worry and concern for the sick, sounds like a docs daily role, right?